Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old May 24, 2016, 1:35 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Currently there, not much to add that hasn't already been said:

Parking terrible, have had to valet every day at no charge -was preparing to quibble over this but so far it hasn't appeared on the folio.

Pool is freezing

Upgraded to tower overlooking whalers village also, no construction noise that I've noticed.

Staff seem fine though everyone is trying to sell something. Even the towel guy is trying to sell sunglasses.

Offered 12k star points for the timeshare pitch, 90 minutes of soft sell promised, though didn't accept despite this redemption draining my account.

Location is flawless. Have headed to other areas and haven't seen a beach as nice as this.

Beach chairs and umbrella are $50, apparently it's a state levy. Found plenty of seats by the pool so not really a big deal.

Decent gold recognition, offered a free coffee from the coffee shop daily or 250 spg points a day. Given a leaflet detailing 10% off discounts for spg gold members too. Took the points.

$30 a day resort fee is a nuisance, though was told to select the fast internet in the room ignoring the $14 a day charge for it since Internet was included for golds but paid for in the resort fee, so to justify it the high speed would be free.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
So I have 5 nights (5th night free on points) booked her in lat August. I've stayed at this property a few times and never had any issues but am getting a little worried based on some of the more recent feedback. We have a 3 year old and i was thinking the Westin would be a better time for her with all the pools and waterfalls than the Sheraton but has anyone stayed recently at both properties and can comment on the differences and/or which might be better with a 3 year old in tow? I've never stayed at the Sheraton - just attended a dinner there for a wedding several years ago.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:07 pm

Looking here for next summer. Need two rooms with my 4 kids and trying to decide between here or the Hyatt .. Any thoughts?

Thanks..
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:12 pm

I was wondering if anyone could refer me for a timeshare presentation?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Abiow
I was wondering if anyone could refer me for a timeshare presentation?
The Westin Maui, Ka'anapali is NOT a timeshare. The two (current) Vistana (formerly Starwood) timeshares are The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas and The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas North. Under construction just north of those two resorts is The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas which is currently expected to open in mid-2017.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by controller1
The Westin Maui, Ka'anapali is NOT a timeshare. The two (current) Vistana (formerly Starwood) timeshares are The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas and The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas North. Under construction just north of those two resorts is The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas which is currently expected to open in mid-2017.

Ok, thank you for letting me know.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gogiantsfan11
Looking here for next summer. Need two rooms with my 4 kids and trying to decide between here or the Hyatt .. Any thoughts?

Thanks..
Hi gogiantsfan11, just wanted to tell you I replied to your similar question in the Hawaii forum. Mahalo!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:35 pm

Just got back from a 5 night stay here and had an amazing time. I'll try to cover everything relevant, hopefully this helps some people looking to stay here in the near future.

Room: I had put in a request to use 5 of my SNAs for this (specifically chose the 10 for the Plat re-up award for this trip) which the day before I was notified were not able to clear. We were pretty disappointed especially since it looked like deluxe rooms with a pull out couch could still be booked online. We have a 3.5yo and for us, having an extra living room type situation is ideal for her to sleep in. Anyway, we asked again at check in and were told no suites were available but got a very nice ocean view room on the 10th floor and the hotel offered to waive the rollaway charge for our daughter which was really nice. The room was great, looked to have been recently renovated and had a nice view of the water and almost of black rock from behind the "Beach Tower" to the right.

Sometime during the first day we got a call from the guest services manager and long story short she helped us move into a 1br premium suite in the beach tower the second day with a living room for my daughter to sleep in which was amazing. The room wasn't as "up to date" as the first one we were in but was still great - amazing ocean view from the front window and lanai. The one thing I would say about anything on this side (north) of the Beach Tower and anything on the North side of the Ocean Tower is there is some significant construction going on at the Whaler's Village next door which you can see and hear. They didn't work over the weekend but trucks were coming in around 7am on the weekdays. We were on the 8th floor and couldn't hear too much of the work in the mornings (and weren't back in our room until work was done for the day) but just a heads up it's happening. Pro-tip, ask for a portable fan to help drown out the noise. They don't have a lot of them but it really helped our daughter sleep.

Pool: I've seen a lot of comments about the pool being crowded but we didn't really see that, even with very high occupancy (we were told over 92%). The premium lounge chairs under the fixed thatch umbrellas went quickly so if you weren't up early to claim one with some towels and a magazine or bag you weren't going to get one until people started leaving later in the day. It did look like some of them were being setup by the pool staff so not sure if that just required a tip the night before (we asked generally about reserving them and were told any of them were open seating).

They do have 2 person cabanas around the pool but they're $250 for the day (they do a half day after 1pm, not sure of the cost) and you can reserve them online at http://wmcabana.com/ They also have Gazebos for 4 or more people but we didn't ask about the cost.

Overall the pool was great, some areas that could use some touching up but overall were kept very clean and were very fun for us and our daughter.

The kids waterslide is a free for all so use caution if you have younger kids trying to go down but the main one has an attendant at the top to keep order.

There is pool waitstaff walking around to take orders but they get very backed up and it can take some time to get your drinks - you can always just walk to any of the bars yourself and order and bring them back. Also we saw a lot of people with what appeared to be their own beers and they weren't getting hassled so YMMV on that. Note, the ABC store next door in whaler's village sells the same Maui Beer that the resort sells in cans.

Beach: The beach is right in front of the hotel, stone's throw from the pool area and very convenient. There is a large area of sand before the water and plenty of room to spread out. You can bring your towels from the pool to stretch out on but the only chairs and umbrellas available from the hotel are for rent at $50 a set (2 chairs and an umbrella but we were able to get a 3rd chair thrown in by asking) and the staff will set it up for you. We saw a lot of people with their own chairs - not sure if they bought them from somewhere in Whaler's Village or rented somewhere else but the beach isn't monitored by the hotel beyond the one guy setting up the umbrellas and chairs so it's pretty open.

The surf is very mild in front of the hotel - there's a very small break at the point just South of the hotel but wouldn't work for much more than boogie boarding. There is a little channel that forms where the waves break that kids can get caught in and tossed around a bit but once you're a few feet out from where the waves are breaking you can just hang out. Water is very warm, warmer than the pool.

It looked like there is some reef a little farther out to snorkle but probably not worth renting equipment for it unless you're going to go to one of the better spots or even just walking down to black rock to snorkle around that. Apparently you're not supposed to have alcohol on the beach but again, it's not monitored and we saw many, many people with drinks down there so again, YMMV. If it's windy, be careful as a strong gust can kick up the very fine sand and sting your ankles.

Food: The best platinum benefit at the hotel is to take the breakfast and get the free buffet every morning. The food is really good, some of the items are rotated daily so it's not entirely the same everyday and has an omelette station where they can also make whatever special type eggs you want. Otherwise I believe it's $28pp which may or may not be worth it. Pro-tip: kids 3 and under eat free at this and at the burger bistro (off the kids menu) as long as an adult is ordering.

We had many lunches at the Relish burger bistro and overall it was good. It's Hawaii/resort expensive so be prepared for ~$17-20 an entree. Beers are $8 and most mixed drinks are $12-$14 (plus another $10 if you want it in a pineapple). Another pro-tip, the burger bistro bar has a happy hour from 4-5pm daily where all draft beers are $4 and select cocktails are $7.

We ate dinner one night down at Teppan-yaki Dan at the Sheraton Black Rock and it was fantastic. You can room charge back to the Westin from here as well. Food was great, service was great and everyone had a really fun time. Also as an SPG member you get 20% off (see here).

If you're looking for a quick lunch to go, or to bring to the pool/beach, the sandwiches from Sea Dogs (right next to the little store with swimsuits/sunscreen by the pool) were very good and around $10.50 each. They also sell canned beer here if you don't want to wait at the bar.

We skipped the Relish Oceanside since the reviews on Yelp were meh at best. The views are really nice if you want to chance it but it's definitely not cheap.

For quick food there are a few options in Whaler's Village (apparently more are coming with the construction I mentioned above) - we got take out from Joey's Kitchen one night and it was really, really good.

Also, if you have kids you can look into the SPG Kids Pass. We didn't get all the details due to our daughter being 3 and eating free where it could be used but it's $20/day and basically gets your child free food at some of the restaurants (when an adult orders) and free sodas. Others have commented about it being a ploy to keep you eating at the hotel, which it basically is, but if you're going to do that any way, might as well ask about it.

Luau: My wife and I have done the Old Lahaina Luau and enjoyed it but it's very pricey, especially when you have kid(s) to pay for. We opted for the Westin Luau because kids 5 and under are free, we got a 10% discount for being Platinum members and it's right on the property. We had a really good time and were very glad we went for it. It's a much smaller layout than the larger ones offsite - only about 20? tables setup on the South side of the hotel where they do weddings.

They offer both "Traditional" and "Premium" seating with the Premium having an ~$20pp upcharge. Premium means you're sitting at one of the tables towards the front and don't need to get there early to get a good seat. You also get excused for the buffet first. We went for the Traditional which worked out great because 1) it's really not that big so you should be able to see well from anywhere 2) when we got there we asked the performer who seated us about moving up (we got there right at 5:45 when they say they open the doors but it looks like they opened early as everyone was seated and we were at one of the tables in the back) and before the show started he moved us up to one of the front row tables with another family of 3 which was awesome.

The show as really fun, MC was funny and got the crowd involved, all of the dancing and music were very good and the final fire dancing was awesome! The food was what you expect from a Luau - nothing spectacular but not bad at all. They had a kid's section with mac&cheese, chicken fingers etc.. which our daughter loved. The drinks were free flowing and included several draft beers (including some Hawaii breweries), the usual Hawaii cocktails or you call it with some not quite premium spirits. You could either go to the bar or order from the waiters. Overall worth the money and was great not having to leave the resort.

Other: Some other stuff I wanted to include. They don't specifically include anything specific for the resort fee for Gold/Plat but they do give you a list of discounts that are offered for your level which was decent. I forgot to take a picture of it but it's things like the Luau discount, discounts on cabanas/gazebos, etc... We took advantage of the free vanilla beans with purchase of 5 pineapples from the vendor at the "craft fair" by the Starbucks which was well worth it - the $25 for 5 Maui Gold pineapples packed and ready for the plane was a good deal compared to what we saw elsewhere.

You get a free tote bag by dropping by the concierge desk sometime during your stay - this was great for the pool and beach.

You can also get a free mini cooler bag (holds a six pack, ask me how I know ) from the "vacation center" but be prepared to be pressured into attending a timeshare presentation for the new villas they're building. I was able to talk my way out of it but I had heard others weren't so lucky.

If you do elect to do the timeshare presentation they offer a range of options for an "award", the most enticing being 12k starpoints (the concierge can show you the list of things to choose from) but I walked by the vacation center when people were sitting through the sales portion and it looked pretty intense so YMMV if you decide to do it.

I mentioned it before but Whaler's Village is nextdoor and a short 5min walk around the Relish Oceanside restaurant, past Leilani's and then up into the shops. They have a bunch of stuff but the best thing about it is the ABC store for things like beer/liquor/wine, sunscreen, snacks, sand toys etc... There's almost always a line of people paying for stuff but it moves very quickly. Also there is a Safeway a short drive South at the Lahiana Cannery Mall. Super convenient if you have a car or you can opt for the shuttle that goes there on a scheduled basis from the hotel.

That's all I can think of for now - feel free to PM me with any other specific questions. We had a great time and it was the perfect setup with our young daughter. We walked around the Sheraton when we went for dinner and while the grounds were nice, the energy level was much lower which may or may not be what you're looking for.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: Gold SPG and Marriott, Silver United Milage Plus
Chrisdeaner, thank you for posting a detailed report on your stay at the westin Maui Resort & Spa, this is our favorite hotel on Maui, have been there more than a dozen times-they are still upgrading the Beach Tower, finished the Ocean Tower earlier this year. I prefer the Beach Tower with a view of the pools and ground. We also have stayed at the Ocean Tower, 11th. floor, a little smaller, 340 sq.ft. vs 400 at the Beach Tower-it still is great.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by RFLP
Chrisdeaner, thank you for posting a detailed report on your stay at the westin Maui Resort & Spa, this is our favorite hotel on Maui, have been there more than a dozen times-they are still upgrading the Beach Tower, finished the Ocean Tower earlier this year. I prefer the Beach Tower with a view of the pools and ground. We also have stayed at the Ocean Tower, 11th. floor, a little smaller, 340 sq.ft. vs 400 at the Beach Tower-it still is great.
Sure thing! It had been awhile since we were here so figured it was worth putting in the details. The views from the premium suite in the beach tower were really good if you ignored the construction at Whaler's Village. This was our view from the front window (you can open the door but no lanai from there):

Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
@ChrisDeaner:

Thank you very much for your detailed review as well. After reading it, I called the Westin Villas to book a Luau during our stay that's coming up in 2 weeks. Unfortunately during our stay, the Premium seats are all taken as there is some special events going on during the week we're available to "have fun" since we're there for 2 weeks.

With that being said, we took the traditional seating offer and will go from there. Since it is such a small venue and all seats allow one to see the show, which seats would you suggest over others in the traditional areas? And would arriving at 5 be too early?

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: AA, SPG
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
@ChrisDeaner:

Thank you very much for your detailed review as well. After reading it, I called the Westin Villas to book a Luau during our stay that's coming up in 2 weeks. Unfortunately during our stay, the Premium seats are all taken as there is some special events going on during the week we're available to "have fun" since we're there for 2 weeks.

With that being said, we took the traditional seating offer and will go from there. Since it is such a small venue and all seats allow one to see the show, which seats would you suggest over others in the traditional areas? And would arriving at 5 be too early?

Thanks
We just returned from the Westin as well, sounds like we were there the same time as Chris. As far as the Luau, we went downstairs around 5:15 or so (doors for traditional open at 5:45) and there was already a line. By the time the doors had opened the line was quite long so it was beneficial we went down when we did. They will seat you so you don't really get to choose where you want to sit however, there really isn't a bad seat in the house. We were sat on the left side (looking at the stage) pretty much one row back from premium and the table was great. I would maybe just recommend lining up early as I am sure those are the ones that will get closer to the stage with traditional seating.

--

On a side note, we just returned after 10 days here (garden view in ocean tower) and had an absolute blast. We loved the central location on Ka'anapali beach with Whaler's Village nearby but also a fairly easy walk to the Hyatt (to eat Sushi at Japengo) as well as other establishments. Food was great, pools were great, and staff was great. It was our first time to Hawaii and Maui and we would definitely return to the Westin should we return to Maui.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Smerri
We just returned from the Westin as well, sounds like we were there the same time as Chris. As far as the Luau, we went downstairs around 5:15 or so (doors for traditional open at 5:45) and there was already a line. By the time the doors had opened the line was quite long so it was beneficial we went down when we did. They will seat you so you don't really get to choose where you want to sit however, there really isn't a bad seat in the house. We were sat on the left side (looking at the stage) pretty much one row back from premium and the table was great. I would maybe just recommend lining up early as I am sure those are the ones that will get closer to the stage with traditional seating.

--

On a side note, we just returned after 10 days here (garden view in ocean tower) and had an absolute blast. We loved the central location on Ka'anapali beach with Whaler's Village nearby but also a fairly easy walk to the Hyatt (to eat Sushi at Japengo) as well as other establishments. Food was great, pools were great, and staff was great. It was our first time to Hawaii and Maui and we would definitely return to the Westin should we return to Maui.
Thanks for replying on the traditional seating. We literally got there right at 5:45 so we got very lucky with our seating. One thing I forgot was we got a little bit of rain due to the moisture from the hurricane below the big island so they had pulled the tables back a bit more under the awning than usual. That being said, even from the original table in the very back we would have been seated at, we still would have been able to see everything without issue.

@Zacnlinc - I would keep checking if you want to get the premium seating. You can cancel (either 24 or 48 hours, I forget) before so always a chance someone cancels and the seats open up. Otherwise I would follow Smerri's suggestion and get there a little early. You could always swing by the bar at the Burger Bistro for the tail end of the 4-5pm happy hour and grab a drink to sip on in line
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Thanks Smerri and ChrisDeaner (again)!!!

We will make plans to arrive early and make due with the early arrival to kill time. The agent at the Westin Villas indicated that the entire week we're available for the Luau is sold out for a special event that is planned. But I will keep asking her to check". But at the same time, it appears that every seat in the house is a good seat even if some are more close and center.

Be Well Everyone...
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:43 pm

Just back from 5 nights here.

General observations:
As a plat, upgraded to Premium Ocean View (on points stay) in the Beach Tower facing Whaler's Village - this was during a week that the hotel was sold out 3 nights of the stay.
Construction at Whaler's Village is winding down - they were finishing the last of the repaving while we were there, so construction noise was minimal - the bigger issue for us was deliveries to Leilani's on the Beach at 5:30 am every day.
Breakfast is good, but a mob scene when the hotel is sold like that. Go very early and get an ocean view table and it can be somewhat quiet.
Staff overall was exceptionally friendly - valet staff in particular knew us by name every day.
The sales pitch for the Nanea Ocean Villas has reached a fevered pitch. Our "Personal Concierge" called about a week before our stay to have us come down on arrival day - a few restaurant coupons with her stamp on them, then the pitch came. 15,000 points for a "VIP Preview" - don't wait in line, all the Marriott people are coming over now to get this - just show them your VIP card - book now. No one there when we went over, no one even knew we were SPG Plat - just asked repeatedly if we were SPG members. "Preview" is a stop at the Ka'anipali Ocean Resort Villas with a point in the distance saying "those are the new ones".
Overall the hotel was a very urban feel - packed, loud, and busy. If you enjoy the Waikiki type of Hawaii you'll be fine. While I loved the staff and grounds, the inability to get away was a turn off for me. We walked down to the Sheraton and it was much more laid back - a lot more open space. If that's important to you, the Sheraton may be a better experience.

For Plats, you'll get a welcome letter with general offers. Basic run down:
- Full buffet instead of continental if breakfast is selected.
- 15% discount on cabanas
- Discount on spa treatments
- Access to spa lounge (steam/sauna/whirlpool)
- Discount on room service
- Free valet parking
There were a few other discounts/offers that I can't really remember at this point!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.