Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by thebutlerdidit
Was your suite in the Beach Tower or the Ocean Tower?
Beach Tower (I updated my original post), it had 1 long balcony that stretched across the living room, bedroom and bathroom. It was actually only on the 2nd floor, which was labeled a 'Preferred Guest Floor' (?). The view was still quite nice.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold
Thanks for the reply!
Old Feb 7, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, MAR Lifetime Plat, UAMM, AA3MM
In reviewing this thread I've seen conflicting comments regarding which tower is older... "in need of refurb", as well as conflicting names... Ocean Tower, Beach Tower, Resort Tower, etc.

I've stayed there in the past but wasn't Platinum... don't remember much about the layout... heading there in March. Would appreciate it if someone can offer a quick update as to which they think is the nicer bldg to stay in.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 5:44 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineAGcom
In reviewing this thread I've seen conflicting comments regarding which tower is older... "in need of refurb", as well as conflicting names... Ocean Tower, Beach Tower, Resort Tower, etc.

I've stayed there in the past but wasn't Platinum... don't remember much about the layout... heading there in March. Would appreciate it if someone can offer a quick update as to which they think is the nicer bldg to stay in.
There's no comparison between the two towers. The Ocean tower is the wavy one that essentially runs parallel to the beach. It's old, tired, and generally sub par. The other tower (I've seen it referred to as Resort and Beach) is perpendicular to the beach, but all of the rooms have some sort of ocean view. This is the tower you want, but beware of lower floors that face the Whalers Village shopping center. When I had it, we were on 6 and it was fine. This tower's rooms are all referred deluxe or premium deluxe.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
This will help visualize the difference between the two towers:

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrwestin.html
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:04 am

Breakfast

The breakfast buffet at Ono looks good but pricey. Can anyone recommend another good full breakfast option within reasonable walking distance from the hotel?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The breakfast buffet at Ono looks good but pricey. Can anyone recommend another good full breakfast option within reasonable walking distance from the hotel?
Crazy eh? It's something like $27 + tax/tip for their 'super foods' breakfast.
The Marriot between the hotel and Whaler's Village might be a bit cheaper. Also, if you do any activities (whale watching, timeshare presentations etc.), do them right in the morning (~8-9am) since they'll feed you as well (nothing special, coffee, orange juice, bagels, pastries etc.).
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
I like cane and taro near whalers village

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cl...07966006927966

Last edited by bdraco; Feb 9, 2011 at 1:50 pm
Old Feb 12, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
I am checking in here tomorrow night. Are they giving Platinums anything to offset the resort fee?
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
I am checking in here tomorrow night. Are they giving Platinums anything to offset the resort fee?
The following is from Post #284 in this thread (right above your question):

Originally Posted by yvr76
I'm a bit torn on the resort fee. It's $25/day and includes the standard towel service, 2 bottles water/day, internet, parking etc. They do however offer some Platinum discounts (10% room service, 20% off cabana rentals, 10% off spa treatments etc.), free access to Premium internet (I couldn't tell any difference), and access to the spa amenities (steam, sauna, whirlpool, showers) even if you don't book a treatment. The last perk is great, as it's $25/person/day otherwise so I would consider this a suitable 'alternate amenity'.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
Andrew: I'm hearing that the hotel is nearly full. I have a stay here soon and I'm hoping you can report to us on how full it seems to you and what kind of status recognition you get.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
There's also a deli - CJ's I think - on the other side of the golf course. It's a bit far to walk if youre hungry, but we routinely did breakfast for three from there for <$20 all in.

That's my recommendation. Best possible scenario is to have one person pick up while the other grabs beach chairs. It's cheap and right on the beach. To me, 15-20 minutes to grab this is well worth the $ saved!
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
There's also a deli - CJ's I think - on the other side of the golf course. It's a bit far to walk if youre hungry, but we routinely did breakfast for three from there for <$20 all in.

That's my recommendation. Best possible scenario is to have one person pick up while the other grabs beach chairs. It's cheap and right on the beach. To me, 15-20 minutes to grab this is well worth the $ saved!
+1 on CJ's Deli. Also, the concierge usually has discount coupons for CJ's. CJ's is also a great place to have a lunch packed for the Road to Hana trip.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:06 pm

Andrew: I'm hearing that the hotel is nearly full. I have a stay here soon and I'm hoping you can report to us on how full it seems to you and what kind of status recognition you get.
Check spg.com and see what rooms they're still selling. They *WILL* try to weasel out of as much as possible. If you know going in what they're selling you should be able to negotiate at the desk. If you're not upgraded, ask what's available for purchase and if it's something you *SHOULD* be upgraded to, you'll have a great way to get it. Hopefully arming yourself with knowledge will help stop the shenanigans at this property.

Also, be sure to triple check your folio. Then double check your credit card after you leave.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:36 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
I was due to arrive at the Westin Resort and Spa for a 6 night stay. I checked in and immediately checked out. Let me say this: in all my years, I have never checked out of a hotel for any negative reason. This hotel took me 5 minutes. Some of you may think I have a propensity to be negative, but I am writing this under the kindest circumstances. First off, there is no Platinum recognition. This is the only hotel I have every stayed at in the SPG system that didn't even have a Gold/Platinum desk agent. I waited 35 minutes to check in as there was a long line and only one person at the desk. When I checked in, no mention of my status or anything of the like. I had to prod the man to even get my 500 amenity points. I ask about an upgrade. They say there is no upgrade. I had booked a ocean view suite in the beach tower 3 months ago. I am given a room number on the second floor of the beach tower (which is loud). Side note: not sure why their SPG preferred floor is only level 2, should be a much better floor. My room literally stares at nothing. I walk downstairs. The agent who checked me in didn't even say anything, he just said, "let me get my manager." Turns out they had given my room away. I called the hotel 2x independently and once through the Platinum concierge to let them know I would be coming at about 8:30 p.m. Now, it didn't really bother me that they gave my room away as much as it bothered me that they made no attempt to remedy it. They didn't offer to change my rate, waive a resort charge, or maybe drop me some SPG points (at the very least). They told me I should be lucky, as I am in the preferred tower and all the rooms are nice. I checked out right away. Went to the Ritz Carlton Kapalua 5 miles up the road. Coincidentally, this resort has the same exact rate as the Westin! I kid you not. In fact, the front desk at the Ritz Carlton told me that they match rates in Kaanapali (spelling?) because they would have no guests. So, honestly, in 100s of SPG properties in 35+ countries, 30+ states, I have never had an experience like I did earlier tonight at the Westin Maui. I am not saying don't stay there or it's a crappy hotel, just you have to be really on top of them, and plan on them screwing you. Since they don't care about your SPG status, just drive up to the Ritz Carlton for the same rate--a very service orientated hotel and amazing property. As for my personal preference, the Westin Maui was just way too packed. A well-designed property can be full, but not feel like it. It didn't give me the relaxed, welcome vibe. To each their own. Cheers everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.