Search

Am I right to be suspicious??????

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Am I right to be suspicious??????

Like other FTers I always peruse the threads of programs I belong to, Marriott being one of them. I usually focus on ones I'm interested in or can contribute to, but sometimes just read threads cuz they catch my curiosity & I want to hear what's being said & learn.

So I've read a few threads & there's one FTer that seems to be coming down pretty hard on other FTers (re: the Marriott program, keeping this on topic), and I've wondered off or on did they have an issue or were they an employee, but didn't really think that much about it.

And then I read another thread & it made me think of it again, and that got me to thinking, so I did a search - and lo & behold, this FTer recently joined, has minimal posts, and ALL in the Marriott forum - and all the posts basically beat the crap out of the Marriott FTers, spout rules & tell us we're all scum (ok, paraphrasing the last), so my question is...

Their info on the side of the FT handle only has 1 thing & that says Plat, but heck, anyone can list any status they want on any program in their info on the left on FT, so that means squat.

Am I right to be suspicious that this is a Mariott employee??? If so, then I guess I would always take their input (especially when they're being cranky) w/ a grain of salt. Having said that, there are a bunch of Marriott employees who have posted on this thread, but who have been civil & provided a lot of input vs just beating the crap out of us, so I would take their input more seriously because they don't regard us as the enemy out to screw them, but realize we're customers & choose to stay w/ them because we like the chain, the people & the service.

And - although MarriottConcierge (Chris) & Socrates have given us info we don't always necessarily like, at least they're upfront w/ their affiliations (ok, Socrates is in a dif position, but you all know what I mean).

So - back to my original question, given the parameters of my post, am I right to be suspicious or am I in some drug-induced state due to a lack of a Marriott promo for the summer?

I'm willing to take any employee's input, but I guess I'm a bit more leery when the first words out of their mouth are berating.

BTW - you all know I've been good about posting fab reviews of Marriott service etc. It's pretty rare for me to complain, so this is not a dis of Marriott but a legit question I'm wondering about.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jun 6, 2007 at 10:44 pm
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:18 pm

Programs: MR plt
I assume you are speaking of me. I have not called anyone scum or any name for that matter. I am the GM of a restaurant in the Bay Area and stay at Marriott quite frequently and have become quite friendly with managers and associates at several locations. I have learned a lot from them and try to share the info that I have acquired, sometimes it has not been recieved well and one even called me a troll for sharing my point of view. I joined this out of curiousity, hearing of it through a fellow traveler. I am rethinking my choice to join and will email and ask to revoke my membership first thing tomorrow....

Sorry for any heartache, hurt feelings etc.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:26 pm

Location: Work/Melbourne Victoria - Home/McKinney, TX (Dallas)
Programs: AA 7.8 MM EXP, QF P1, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium(Life), Hilton DIA, IHG RA, HZ PLAT
Talk about thin skinned folks!
Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:37 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by LucyLoo
I assume you are speaking of me. I have not called anyone scum or any name for that matter. I am the GM of a restaurant in the Bay Area and stay at Marriott quite frequently and have become quite friendly with managers and associates at several locations. I have learned a lot from them and try to share the info that I have acquired, sometimes it has not been recieved well and one even called me a troll for sharing my point of view. I joined this out of curiousity, hearing of it through a fellow traveler. I am rethinking my choice to join and will email and ask to revoke my membership first thing tomorrow....

Hmmmmm,having been a restaurant manager I wonder where anyone in this line of work has any time for a home life-let alone any sort of travel life.Kudos to you if this is really the case.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver

LucyLoo, No need to revoke your membership, unless you really feel you need to. Besides, I really like your movies

I normally stay away from threads like this, but in this case I just had to say that based on the content of your postings, I just naturally assumed that you were a Marriott employee. If you go back and read your posts, I think you might see why anyone might make that assumption.

So, if you couple the assumption that we made of you being a Marriott employee with the fact that most of your posts were not taking the side of the customer, I guess you quickly became a surrogate for that Marriott employee that we have all met and really dislike. and, as such, a target for our frustrations.

Now one thing you said really did stir my curiosity. You said you are a restaurant GM. I have a couple friends who are restaurant managers or owners. They are some of the busiest, hardest working people I have ever met and seem to never be able to leave the restaurant. How does a restaurant manager manage to spend 75+ days a year in Marriott hotels? Not an accusation, just curious.

Last edited by Greg P.; Jun 7, 2007 at 7:54 am
Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:53 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold, Delta SM, Southwest CP
Yes, Sharon, you are right to be suspicious.

I've found LucyLoo's "style" so abrasive and lecturing that I also assumed she was a Marriott employee and, quite frankly, will continue to do.

And, Lucy, I hope you do revoke your membership. I've been reading this board for six-plus years and can't remember someone who has shown less respect and politeness to our online community within their first 25 posts.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 8:47 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Well, if he/she really is a restaurant GM, I have a few suspicions why it's not flooded with customers so there's time for Plt level travel.

Restaurant at Fawlty Towers maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecjL9pnWnVw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjwmAA2fOlM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRG8OKedDws

Last edited by slowly; Jun 7, 2007 at 8:56 am
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Sharon, short answer, yes
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:20 am

Add them to your ignore list and you never have to see their posts again. Well, the posts still show up, but the text is hidden.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/profile.php?do=editlist
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:25 am

...I am the GM of a restaurant in the Bay Area and stay at Marriott quite frequently and have become quite friendly with managers and associates at several locations. I have learned a lot from them and try to share the info that I have acquired...
Not doubting you, but looking at your previous posts, I think that's funny. I've never seen a non-employee quote from the MR T&Cs, other than wacko fanatics.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Note I did not identify which FTer I was referring to, although LucyLoo seems to think she meets the criteria

No need to revoke your membership LucyLoo. Worst case put people you don't like or who disagree w/ you on the 'ignore' list.

Given that all of your posts have been in the Marriott program, have NOT been customer-friendly but on the Marriott side & pretty abrasive, I think my suspicion that you are a Marriott employee is not totally beyond the realm of possibility.

If you truly want to be part of the FT community LucyLoo, how 'bout posting re: some of your experiences at the various Marriotts you stay at, or posting on other forums (I'm assuming that if you stay at Marriotts 75+ nights you're traveling somehow to get to them) & providing input in those.

FT is a community of give & take, but we prefer the folk who give of their expertise. We'll even accept abrasive give if indeed they are giving, but we have a tendency not to think too highly of folk who are just abrasive w/o giving.

BTW - we do have 'official' Marriott employees who post here (including GMs) and make sure we're kept up to speed on the T&Cs of Marriott. We really don't need a 'non-employee' trying to fill their shoes. YVMV.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jun 7, 2007 at 11:32 am
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:29 am
Original Poster

I don't how to pull quotes from other threads & put them into dif ones, so I just cut/pasted. Here's an example of a Marriott GM providing info in a helpful manner, rather than just hitting us FTers over the head w/ T&Cs in an abrasive manner.

"That is a tricky one to answer but I will try. The hotels are all mandated to have a State and a Federal rate set up; whether they are open to sell is based on availability. However, the hotels were given the option of loading a "local" rate so it will depend on the location as to whether or not they chose to set one up. Areas like CA have Govt per diem rates set for state employees and other states use the Federal per diem for their state govt travelers. There should (and I stress should) be a separate rate program for each level of govt; one for state, one for federal and one for local if the hotel chose to offer. Here is an example I pulled from a hotel in Ohio. (not mine of course)

2 Queen Bed Guest Room Room details
80.00(USD) per night Rate rules Reserve a Room
State Government Per Diem * Queen Room (2 queen beds) * State govt ID required * Free parking and free high speed internet

103.00(USD) per night Rate rules Reserve a Room
US Govt Per Diem Rate * King Room (1 king bed, 1 sofabed) * Fed Govt/Military Emp Only* Valid ID Req* Contractors Not Eligible*

There is a separate listing for each govt. And notice the rates are quite different.

If you don't see a rate set up for "local" you can always call the hotel to ask what their policy is as well.

I hope this helps"

Cheers.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:07 pm

after reading the members posts I agree that it talks like a duck and walks like one so it must be one. From now on IGNORE.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by ondeadlin
Yes, Sharon, you are right to be suspicious.

I've found LucyLoo's "style" so abrasive and lecturing that I also assumed she was a Marriott employee and, quite frankly, will continue to do.
I'm just curious - if you're convinced that a nasty, abrasive person must be a Marriott employee, that says a lot about how you perceive Marriott employees. Why do you stay in Marriotts if you consider the employees to be so bad?
Old Jun 7, 2007, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

I didn't read ondeadlin's reply to mean s/he thought all Marriott employees are abrasive. I know I certainly don't! If you read LucyLoo's posts & her taking FTers to task, the assumption some FTers made, based on the posts, is that she is a Marriott employee. Because it certainly doesn't make sense for a non-employee/GM of a restaurant to get so bent out of shape. YVMV.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jun 7, 2007 at 4:01 pm Reason: oops - i hit submit after only writing 3 words - duh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.