Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Westin Trianon Palace, Versailles leaves Jan 15, 2009 [Master Thread]

Westin Trianon Palace, Versailles leaves Jan 15, 2009 [Master Thread]

Old Aug 25, 2004, 7:59 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
Holy bait and switch Batman!

Leave it to the French to really p*** you off. They try to fineprint you after you make the decision to take them up on their offer. It's a sales tactic that I REFUSE to put up with.

(Edited for inappropriate language -Markie)

Last edited by Markie; Aug 26, 2004 at 1:47 am
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
In certain states of the United States (where this email may be received), such deceptive marketing material may fall foul of consumer protection laws. I know the Wisconsin State Attorney General's office has a few people who have loved to pursue these things in the past.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
I'm a little confused by the post here. But, it sounds like the hotel was averaging a per person price requiring double occupancy. If not double occupancy, the hotel charges a higher price. What am I missing?
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:30 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HLT Honors, DL PLT but missing NWA terribly.
I haven't seen one in awhile, but I recall many ads that had rates quoted as per person per night. And it always had the note below it saying "Based on double occupancy" which were weasel words effectively saying it was same rate single or double.

Look at the ad again and I'm sure you'll find that statement somewhere, even if it's in the T&T's. If by some longshot it isn't there anywhere, I'd press the issue and get the pp rate.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by Rolling Stone
I haven't seen one in awhile, but I recall many ads that had rates quoted as per person per night. And it always had the note below it saying "Based on double occupancy" which were weasel words effectively saying it was same rate single or double.

Look at the ad again and I'm sure you'll find that statement somewhere, even if it's in the T&T's. If by some longshot it isn't there anywhere, I'd press the issue and get the pp rate.
I received this friendly answer of the hotel today:

"could you please let me know the link for this special offer to can check if we can open the Terms & Conditions and also Book now. Or I will try to contact someone for hep.

You will get more information about this special offer and as you see, the rate of 130 Euros per person is based on a double room. This is a real special offer for Trianon Palace. To give you an idea, the normal rate for a Standard Pavilion room is 450 Euros per night excluding breakfast.

I stay at your entire disposal, do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Carina de Lemos

Reservation Department

Trianon Palace a Westin Hotel Versailles

Tel 01.30.84.51.20 Fax 01.30.84.51.21

E.mail [email protected] & [email protected]

Internet www.westin.com/trianonpalace & www.trianonpalace

Best Rate Guarantee - Meilleurs Tarifs Garantis WWW.WESTIN.COM
"

However, when opening the Terms&Conditions of the special offer:

Luxury Weekends in Paris

"Offer is valid 03-AUG-2004 - 22-DEC-2004.Offer is subject to availability. Advance reservations are required. Not applicable to group travel. Additional service charge and tax may apply. Promotion code must be given when reservation is made by phone. Offer cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions. Length of stay restrictions may apply"

Rates of the rooms in the hotel: I have seen them from 180 (internet only) and going up. Did not actual book them, perhaps when it was for single use the rate would have been doubled?
The rate of 450, I did not see for a standard room when booking in advance for a standard room.

I did not see anywhere information "based on double occupancy", even not in the terms and conditions .
Old Aug 29, 2004, 8:56 am

[QUOTE=claes059]I received this friendly answer of the hotel today:

"could you please let me know the link for this special offer to can check if we can open the Terms & Conditions and also Book now. Or I will try to contact someone for hep.

You will get more information about this special offer and as you see, the rate of 130 Euros per person is based on a double room. This is a real special offer for Trianon Palace. To give you an idea, the normal rate for a Standard Pavilion room is 450 Euros per night excluding breakfast.

I stay at your entire disposal, do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Carina de Lemos

Reservation Department

Trianon Palace a Westin Hotel Versailles

Tel 01.30.84.51.20 Fax 01.30.84.51.21

E.mail [email protected] & [email protected]

Internet www.westin.com/trianonpalace & www.trianonpalace

Best Rate Guarantee - Meilleurs Tarifs Garantis WWW.WESTIN.COM
"
I did not hear anything from the hotel after I emailed her the text of the terms & conditions of the special offer !
So I have send an email to SPG customerservice and wait for an answer. On the other hand I do not feel eager to have a stay here anymore . I guess I will look for another hotel...
Old Aug 29, 2004, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
The Hilton UK brochure describing offers for Hilton UK hotels consistently lists prices per person; although the price is listed per person, the minimum price is the price for two persons. So this practice does not seem limited, as a poster so graciously put it, to French people.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by JOUY31
The Hilton UK brochure describing offers for Hilton UK hotels consistently lists prices per person; although the price is listed per person, the minimum price is the price for two persons. So this practice does not seem limited, as a poster so graciously put it, to French people.
Well it is the first time I am encountering this via the SPG site. I have made many reservations for Starwood hotels around the world, via SPG, the last few years and I have not noticed this kind of special offers before.
In general I make reservations for a room and pay extra for an extra person in the room, via the SPG site.
I do know it works differently when booking rooms for single use via other sites or reservationsoffices.
By no means it was my intention to connect this practice to French people!! I just refer to the fact that the Westin Trianon is also a Starwood hotel.

Last edited by claes059; Aug 29, 2004 at 2:37 pm
Old Aug 29, 2004, 2:22 pm
Suspended

I read the original conditions as listed by the OP and basically came the same conclusion as that outlined in the response from the hotel.."double room" being the optimal phrase.
When booking on the SPG or any site listing European hotels one always to pay attention the type of room and/or number of occupants and read carefully into the catcgh phrases.

If there is any doubt make a test booking with one or two occupants.

I must say I do find it surprising that a member based in Europe claims to have blindsided by this turn of events.

mike
Old Aug 29, 2004, 2:44 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are a number of different methods that can be used for quoting hotel rates:
  1. $X Per Room Up To Y Persons, where Y is also max capacity
  2. $X Per Room, For Up To Y Persons; $Z Each Extra Person; Max Capacity M
  3. $X Per Person, Based on Y Persons In The Room (Occupancy)

However, the text of the original offer was not worded properly:
Originally Posted by claes059
From only 130 Euro per person and per night in a double room with breakfast included!
What the hotel probably meant was "From only 130 Euro per person and per night in a double room with breakfast included based on double occupancy!"

"Double Room" somewhat implies that there must be 2 people in a room, but that's not enough. Since the hotel had failed to explicitly stipulate such a condition, one can rightfully demand that a rate of EUR 130 should be extended to 1 guest in a double room.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 3:17 pm

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by claes059
Well it is the first time I am encountering this via the SPG site. I have made many reservations for Starwood hotels around the world, via SPG, the last few years and I have not noticed this kind of special offers before.
In general I make reservations for a room and pay extra for an extra person in the room, via the SPG site.
I do know it works differently when booking rooms for single use via other sites or reservationsoffices.
By no means it was my intention to connect this practice to French people!! I just refer to the fact that the Westin Trianon is also a Starwood hotel.
My apologies for being unclear. I was referring to suitcasejockey's post, not to yours which was truly informative.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 12:33 am

Programs: UA Prem Ex, NW Gold
Trianon/Westin, France

I'll be staying at this hotel in a few weeks and am wondering what the restaurant options are at the hotel or in the area? Any particular recommendations (probably looking at one or two more formal dinners and several budget-minded meals).
Old Sep 9, 2004, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by ralphshenkis
I'll be staying at this hotel in a few weeks and am wondering what the restaurant options are at the hotel or in the area? Any particular recommendations (probably looking at one or two more formal dinners and several budget-minded meals).
3 options at the hotel :
- high-end cuisine with Grard Vi "Trois Marches" 250-300 euros per person including wine, in my opinion worth the price
- enhanced brasserie at the "Caf Trianon" 50-100 euros per person including wine, very pleasant to be on the terrace overlooking the palace park on a warm September evening
- "Bar Marie-Antoinette" - snacks around 30 euros per person

There is also, during the summer time, a small bar around the swimming pool, service can take some time, snacks around 25-30 euros per person
Old Sep 9, 2004, 4:51 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ralphshenkis
Based on our stay here in August I would suggest you wander down to the market area in the centre of Versaille, at least for your budget-minded meals. It's about a 10 minute walk, 5 min drive. There are plenty of cosy restaurants to choose from. If you ask at reception they will give you a detailed list of options in the area and even make recommendations and reservations if you want.

We didn't get to try Trois Marches since it is closed during the whole month of August (a fact I didn't realise when I booked! ). The Cafe Trianon is basic brasserie quality IMHO.

The hotel itself is fantastic - be sure to ask for a palace room with a view over the (real) Palace next door!

-- Dambus
Old Sep 9, 2004, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
The only meals I ate at the hotel were the buffet breakfast. Ridiculously expensive, IMHO, at something like 30 or 40 EUR per PERSON. The quality of the food was great, though.

If you want a budget meal, I can recommend a SubWay about 10-15 minutes walk from the hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.