Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hacienda Hotels in Yucatan Mexico **Left Marriott** [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Map showing locations of each. Merida is the most convenient airport to visit the haciendas.
Rosas y Xocalate ... the only SPG hotel in the city (part of Design Hotels). A fantastic, small boutique hotel right on the edge of the historic Centro.

Hacienda Temozon, Temozon Sur While at Temozon, drive to Celestun to take a boat trip to see the flamingos and mangroves. Closest hacienda to Uxmal.
Hacienda San Jose, Tixkokob, Yucatan
Hacienda Santa Rosa, Santa Rosa
Hacienda Puerta Campeche, Campeche
Hacienda Uayamon, Campeche

Summary by thomasito in 2017:
Hacienda San Jose: beautiful gardens, great pool, big rooms
Hacienda Santa Rosa: the smallest and very charming, nice pool, beautiful building and nice rooms
Hacienda Puerta Campeche: not a real hacienda, in the middle of Campeche town. Not as charming as the other haciendas, but nice pool and beautiful courtyard + spacious rooms
Hacienda Uayamon: stunning setting, beautiful grounds, amazing pool and huge rooms (only suites)
Hacienda Temozon: biggest hacienda with 28 rooms, very elegant, great pool and nice (but dark) rooms, they have their own cenote and you can get there by a donkey carriage.

Most of the haciendas are remote and surrounded by nature, so don't go there if you are very scared from little animals like spiders etc.

What you can expect: unique rooms, high quality beds, friendly staff, pretty good food and a la carte breakfast, tranquility,

Don't go there: if you need stable and fast Internet, a gym, club lounges and standards like in a Sheraton.
Print Wikipost

Hacienda Hotels in Yucatan Mexico **Left Marriott** [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:48 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by toomanywords
Yeah, we saw that -- now have a reservation at Hacienda Uayamon instead. Should be beautiful. Now just need to find a United/US Air flight into Campeche or Merida or get good directions from Cancun...
Oof. It would be about a 6 hour drive each way between CUN and Uayamon. There was a couple at Uayamon while we were there that made that drive.

When we went to Santa Rosa and Uayamon, we were scheduled to fly in and out of Merida on Delta. Delta doesn't have daily flights to MID from ATL (currently only on Saturdays), but it does have daily codeshares via MEX or MIA on Aeromexico. Continental also flies to MID, but I don't know their schedule. I don't think that United or USAirways fly to MID.

Campeche airport is extremely small, though. I think that you'd only get commercial flights there via MEX (or maybe CUN) by Mexican airlines. Mexicana flies regional jets (or a turboprop?) into CPE, and Aeromexico codeshares that route. I don't know what the car rental options are like at CPE.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
*wood Hacienda package?

Does anyone know of a package whereby you can stay at a couple of hacienda properties as a package?
Old Feb 4, 2007, 5:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
http://www.haciendasmexico.com/sanjo...package_id=103

HACIENDA HOPPING RACK RATE

For 3, 5 or 7 Nights.

Avalible from January 01, 2007 to December 19, 2007

Explore the land of the Mayas and combine the different flavors of each of our Haciendas:

Hacienda Temozón, Hacienda San José and Santa Rosa in Yucatán and Uayamón and Puerta Campeche in the magical state of Campeche.

Includes :
Accommodation in a Superior or Junior Suite at the Haciendas of choice (we recommend to stay at least two nights at each Hacienda)

Roundtrip car transfers Mérida Airport – The Hacienda Temozón, Santa Rosa, San José or roundtrip car transfers Campeche Airport – The Hacienda Uayamón or Puerta Campeche.In case that guest choose two or more Haciendas interhaciendas transfer are not incluyedand have to be paid as incidental.
Refreshing welcome drinks.

Fruit basket in your room upon arrival.

Daily breakfast a la carte or room service,in the restaurant or inthe garden.

A dinner with a bottle of Mexican wine served under the stars.

One lunch at one of the other Haciendas.

All taxes and service charges.

01 Jan 07 - 15 Apr 07 16 Apr 07 - 19 Dec 07

3 nights, 4 days: Superior Jr.Suite Superior Jr.Suite

Single occupancy $ 1376 usd $ 1668 usd $ 1138 usd $ 1431 usd

Double occupancy $ 1499 usd $ 1792 usd $ 1261 usd $ 1554 usd

Triple occupancy $ 1806 usd $ 2098 usd $ 1568 usd $ 1861 usd

5 nights, 6 days: Superior Jr.Suite Superior Jr.Suite

Single occupancy $ 2082 usd $ 2570 usd $ 1686 usd $ 2174 usd

Double occupancy $ 2232 usd $ 2720 usd $ 1835 usd $ 2323 usd

Triple occupancy $ 2686 usd $ 3174 usd $ 2290 usd $ 2778 usd

7 nights, 8 days: Superior Jr.Suite Superior Jr.Suite

Single occupancy $ 2789 usd $ 3472 usd $ 2234 usd $ 2917 usd

Double occupancy $ 2965 usd $ 3648 usd $ 2410 usd $ 3093 usd

Triple occupancy $ 3567 usd $ 4250 usd $ 3012 usd $ 3695 usd

Aditional night including breakefast, taxes and service.

01 Jan 07 - 15 Apr 07 16 Apr 07 - 19 Dec 07

Superior Jr.Suite Superior Jr.Suite

Single occupancy $ 353 usd $ 451 usd $ 274 usd $ 372 usd

Double occupancy $ 366 usd $ 464 usd $ 287 usd $ 385 usd

Triple occupancy $ 440 usd $ 538 usd $ 361 usd $ 459 usd

[email protected] or [email protected]

For reservations, please call us 52 9999 238089 or email us at:
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:34 pm

How long is the drive from Merida to the Uayamon? Is it pretty easy in the daytime? I'm probably going to have about a week in the Yucatan in June, and am already leaning toward spending 3 - 4 days at the Hacienda San Jose, but am unsure if I should stay at the Santa Rosa for the remaining days or make the trek up to Campeche or Uayamon. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
I've done the drive 3 times and think it's quite easy. For the most part, it's a two lane road, but it's in good condition (e.g., no exciting pothole surprises), and you can maintain 100kph for the majority of the trip.

The trip off the main road into Campeche to Uayamon is quite easy as well.

Originally Posted by TraveltheWorld
How long is the drive from Merida to the Uayamon? Is it pretty easy in the daytime? I'm probably going to have about a week in the Yucatan in June, and am already leaning toward spending 3 - 4 days at the Hacienda San Jose, but am unsure if I should stay at the Santa Rosa for the remaining days or make the trek up to Campeche or Uayamon. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by TraveltheWorld
From Merida airport to Uayamon is about 2 1/2 hours. Yes, pretty easy in the daytime. I would guess that Merida airport to San Jose is about 1 hour in the opposite direction though.

Personally, I would go to Santa Rosa (just 1 hour from Merida). The service there was so much more personalized for us, and the location is convenient to Uxmal ruins and to the Celestum flamingo colony.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Christmastime?

This is yet another excellent thread, thanks to SC Flyer, benzlotkin, snorkmaster & everyone for the detailed info.

My question is about Christmas/New Years (with the family). Does anyone have any experiences at the Hacienda's during that time?
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:54 am

That will be a busy time for sure. Unlike the resorts in Cancun, the Hacienda's are popular with Mexicans. You'll often see people coming in from Mexico City and the other larger urban areas. Christmas and new years are pretty big deals in Mexico, the only busier time is likely Easter.

So, you ought not expect discount rates at this time. However, even at full capacity these hotels feel spacious and tranquil compared to the big beach hotels.

- BZ
Old May 7, 2007, 1:12 pm

I am hitting Uayamon and Campeche in June. What is the safety like around these hotels and Merida?

Any other updates from someone who had been recently?
Old May 26, 2007, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Objective Traveler
What is teh safety like in the area? Anything / areas considered unsafe?

Does anyone have any bad experiences in the area (Merida / Campeche)?
We had no concerns or bad experiences with people while we were there. We were of course cautious to keep valuables out of sight whenever we parked the car (in particular, I'm thinking of parking lots at tourist destinations such as the Mayan ruins), but that's no different than most anywhere else. We have driven through some extremely poor areas down there, but nowhere that actually felt as if we might be harmed.

But there are other safety concerns to be aware of -- especially the possibility of road emergencies.

While the main roads are in generally good condition, many of the secondary roads and roads through towns have potholes. The speedbumps ("topes") in many towns are brutal and are not always visible from a distance. So be careful driving, and make sure that your rental car has a good spare tire, jack, and wrench.

Make sure that you always have plenty of gas before setting out on an adventure. Consider the possibility that the gas stations along your way may be closed unexpectedly. (I've heard of the Pemex sometimes being closed at Celestun. I guess the station sometimes runs out of gas before they get another delivery?)

If you're going to be driving around much, a good map is a very good idea.

Be prepared for the possibility of afternoon thunderstorms during the summer that could temporarily flood some roads and significantly reduce visibility. We always carried a couple emergency ponchos and were glad we did when we were at one of the Mayan ruins during a sudden downpour.

Drink bottled water only. The hotel will provide bottled water for no additional charge. Take plenty in the car in case you get stranded (flat tire, out of gas, hit speedbump at 90 km/h, etc.). We got a bit nervous on one pothole-filled backroad that took us at least 10 miles from the nearest residence or main road.

If you need assistance outside of the hotel, don't expect many locals to speak English. Carry cash to pay for gas, assistance, or whatever.

Pemex does not take credit cards. I've heard that some Pemex stations in remote locations might not accept US dollars, but I have not personally experienced this. Nonetheless, we usually paid with pesos. In touristy Cancun, I encountered Pemex attendants that will try to overcharge American drivers to get a few extra dollars for themselves. Though maybe not a safety issue, it left a bad impression in an otherwise great trip with great people.

On a more positive note, we were glad to give a few unsolicited dollars to a local gentleman that gave us a tour of another hacienda that is slowly being restored a few towns west of Santa Rosa. And we were very pleased with our purchases from the local craftswomen that are associated with the hotel through a non-profit agency that teaches old craft trades to bring jobs to the local town.
Old May 26, 2007, 8:33 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Use common sense, and as sc flier mentioned, watch for topes and get a good map...and you should be fine.

(As an aside, the Rough Guide Map of the Yucatan has great detail in my opinion. Stocks seems to be low at Amazon, but you should be able to dig one up somewhere. Here's a sample image from a company that seems to have it in stock: http://www.omnimap.com/cgi/graphic.p...65-01914d.jpg)

Regarding Merida and Campeche:

We've been to both cities 4 or 5 times. In the former, lots of folks are walking around at all times of day, and I really wouldn't advise any level of caution beyond common sense you would exercise in a US City. With the latter, I've always felt the same level of safety, but given how quiet it is at night (and even day), you may feel a little more uneasy simply because of the lack of pedestrian traffic. Once again though, if you're in or near the "walled" part of the city, I think you'll be fine if you exercise common sense.

A few side recommendations regarding Campeche should you tire of the Hacienda's restaurant: Walkable La Pigua and off the beaten path Chac are two good seafood options. Here is someone's Chowhound write-up on the Yucatan that mentions these two places. The restaurants on the Plaza may be atmosphere locations for a refreshing cerveza, but the food will be nothing to write home about.

And, if you haven't seen this T&L article on Merida, take a look -- it's a few years old, but it's still an interesting read.

Last but not least on Merida: We have taken a half day cooking class at Los Dos -- in my opinion, it's very reasonable and fun.

Have a great time!

By the way, are you flying into Cancun or Merida? If the former, consider stopping off in Valladolid on the way west for lunch -- El Mesón del Marqués is a good option. If the latter, count yourself lucky that you're not doing the drive -- other than Valladolid and Chichen Itza (which you could back track to hit), it's a pretty monotonous drive...

Last edited by snorkmaster; May 26, 2007 at 8:41 am
Old Jun 13, 2007, 9:56 am

TRIP REPORT
We stayed at Puerta Campeche and Hacienda Uayamon (two nights each). While it was a quick trip, I really liked the city / jungle effect of staying at each. I highly recommend that you add a stay at Puerta Campeche regardless of which other Hacienda properties you visit.

PUERTA CAMPECHE
- Platinum Treatment -
plat amenity offered without asking. Upgraded to Master Suite.

- Property-
Simply amazing. A tremendous property. It mixes old and new magnificently. Rooms are spacious. Bathrooms are stunning. Bath products are among the best. Beds are comfortable. Furnishings are sleek, but not overly modern and work nicely with hotel. Grounds are immaculate, great gardens, etc. The pool is obviously the highlight, and it is beyond the hype. One of the coolest features I have seen at any hotel.

- Service -
Service is rather strong. You begin when they greet you with welcome drinks and a towel. Language can be a problem, as my Spanish is not complete, and their English is never complete. Invest in a dictionary. Beyond that though, they really do try to please. The staff to guest ratio is very high.

- Restaurant -
I was very impressed with the food. The prior postings concerned me a bit. But I thought the food bordered on exceptional. Believe it or not, the beef was some of the best I have had. Very well seasoned and tender. Obviously, the seafood (ceviche, shrimp, pompano / local fish) were all quite good. We got hooked on the Mexican Sangrias (diff from the Spanish in that it is wine + lime + sugar + seltzer). The food is not cheap, but much less than any hotel food of near quality you would find in the US. The rose ice cream was amazing.

- City -
Campeche will not be for everyone - - which is why we liked it. In fact, we did not see another American in the city, except for an ex pat who runs a local store (Hecho en Mexico on Calle 59). This alone gives it a unique feel. Simply put, Campeche is a place to go to see a beautiful maintained / restored colonial city with some history, and witness local life undisturbed. The trip to the mercado (10 minutes from hotel) was well worth it. As you walked the streets, people are just living their life, we saw dance lessons in process (quite a site), etc. There are no gimmicky bus tours with loud speakers, no street vendors, etc. Shopping is pretty sparse. We had a bad review of La Pigua and we skipped it, opting for Marzanos. It was good, but no where near the hotel.

- Summary -
+ amazing property with dramatic pool and very good service
+ clean / beautiful and UNDISTRURBED city
+ great food
- English speakers can be hard to find (not an issue but just be warned)
- limited shopping
- oppressive heat. It was 99 degrees (June), but there was a heat wave, as I checked weather.com and this appears even hotter than normal. Again, just be advised that you may have high heat and you will likely have high humidity.

HACIENDA UAYAMON
- Platinum Treatment -
plat amenity not offered without asking. Not really upgraded, but hard to complain because all the rooms are pretty nice.

- Property-
Again, I will say simply amazing, and again, a tremendous property. This one is both exactly the same as Puerta Campeche and completely different. The attention to detail and styles are exact. However, Uayamon is a jungle, and the property is a true hacienda (think Southern plantation with buildings spread out). It is unlike anything I have seen. Breathtaking and peaceful, this is a place to relax. If you have a hard time winding down, this may not be the place for you. The rooms have a very regal feel (though again with a modern flair). But they are very spacious and you have your own outdoor sitting area. Every detail is covered and done so in a first class manner. The grounds of the hacienda are beautiful. Walking through the ruins / seeing the ceiba tree (think of a sequoia merged with a live oak) / relaxing by the pool. It is all a great experience. One word of caution - you are in the jungle. You will see birds (it sounded like Costa Rica), iguanas, and insects. I saw bats and a snake, luckily my wife did not. We had no bugs in our room at all, but we were greeting one night after dinner by a tiny little frog in the middle of the floor.

- Service -
Again, service is rather strong and similar to Puerta Campeche. Likewise, language can be a problem- some staff know no English, some know quite a bit. For my wife's birthday, they set a dinner in the ruins under the ceiba tree. The entire dinner, we saw one couple check into the hotel, but beyond that it was just us - a very private place. In fact, we rarely saw anyone else during the stay. The staff truly TRIES hard. They have been trained in the proper manners to serve wine etc, but you can tell it is a bit unnatural (they are new to it), but they are trying so hard that you appreciate it more. Everyone is quite friendly. The massage we had was great; they actually broke open an aloe plant there in front of you for the massage.

- Restaurant -
The food to me mirrored Puerta Campeche. Which was a good thing. We branched out and tried several Mexican wines and were pleased each time (wine list is a bit limited with maybe a dozen choices). Coffee was quite good. Food was very good, I would eat at the hotel routinely if it were in my neighborhood. They actually made a gorgeous heart-shaped flower-emblazoned cake for my wife on her birthday. Coffee flan is not to be missed.

- What to do -
Campeche is 30 + minutes away. This is a retreat, or a place to do side trips from. We stopped at Edzna on the way in. We were the only ones there for awhile, but as we left a school bus came in. But seeing a Mayan ruin ALL TO YOURSELF is a great experience. There are several other options of excursions, but really, we just wanted to relax and Uayamon is perfect for that.

- Summary -
+ superb property with excellently maintained grounds
+ great food and great service
- English speakers can be hard to find (not an issue but just be warned)

GETTING THERE
We flew into Merida. (I did notice that Delta flied direct from Atlanta and someone had a direct from Miami). We however had a connection from Mexico City. It is a good two hour + drive from Merida to Campeche and not exactly a site-filled route, but certainly a straight shot. For a variety of reasons, we decided to hire a driver for our transfers between airports and hotels. The hotel charges quite insane rates to do this. We found someone that did it for less than half the cost, they showed up early each time and we had a great driver. The cost for all our routings ended up to be $360 (they threw in an extra stop to Edzna for us at the last minute for a paltry $20). By comparison, Uayamon charges $300 just to get to the airport. If interested, we used "Viajes Edzná Mexico" at 011 52 981 81 39080. I went through Teresa and Axel was our driver (we opted for the small van). For us, we did not want to end up lost or with a flat tire in the middle of nowhere.

CLOSING THOUGHTS:
For what we wanted, this was perfect. It is off the beaten path but had luxury all over it. Seeing the market in Campeche, walking the streets, seeing Edzna alone, etc, it all felt like authentic Mexico not a cruise ship stop. Uayamon was a jungle paradise and so peaceful. However, if you are trying to replicate a US hotel in Mexico, then Cancun may be more your speed.

Lastly, the hotel had copies of a travel journal called "Rutas de viajeros" (Traveler's Routes). Ano 2 / numero 3. It is basically about the hotel and all the daytrips within reach of the hotel. It is based off of Uayamon, but would work for Puerta Campcehe as well. Ask the hotel to send you a copy, especially if you are renting a car and want to explore the area. It is professionally done and has great photos.

Last edited by Objective Traveler; Jun 13, 2007 at 11:24 am
Old Jun 15, 2007, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
^^Outstanding reports - thanks! Rick Bayless' cooking show on PBS, which aired a few weeks ago, gave a major plug to Hacienda San Jose and gave a history of the working Hacienda. It ended with him lounging in the over-pool hammock, and talking about paradise. I'm guessing their occupancy might be going up a bit after that show.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:38 am

Great reports. Can any multi-hacienda visitors recommend which one would be most enjoyed by our adventerous 2.5 year old and her parents?
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:11 am

I would probably discourage taking toddlers to Hacienda Uayamon. The first thing that comes to mind is the high and steep stone staircase on the front of the restaurant.

There are two suites at Hacienda Santa Rosa that are in the same building. The GM told us that when someone brings children, he usually puts the family in the 2 bed suite and leaves the 1 bed suite vacant, if possible.

I haven't been to Hacienda Puerta Campeche, but it's in downtown Campeche -- quite different from the others.

I haven't been to Haciendas San Jose or Temozon yet.

Children are welcome at the Haciendas, but it's not the norm. I would definitely suggest emailing whichever hotel prior to arrival to let them know that you're bringing a child so that they can accommodate appropriately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.