Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Nines, Luxury Collection in Portland, OR [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Nines, Luxury Collection in Portland, OR [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Final.

I received a phone call with no person on the line also. It was at 5 AM. I was already up. The phones are voip but the time showing was still incorrect. The tvs take forever to change channels. If you like to "surf" you better take a seat.

In closing. It will be months before I would try this place again. I would not take a room on 10. The area above ten is for IT. There most be more than that up there. I was supposed to take a 6 PM flight home but gave up and got going taking a 8 AM flight. Read into that all you want. I am done busting this place and will resign that it just needs lots of help still from a bad soft opening. As a P should we be given a amenity card? I would not mind having the extra 500 points. Regards from a true lux collection spot- home.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Since RTWSTARALLIANCE was not able to post his pics, I will link to one of my favorite websites (HotelChatter) that gives the Nines a great review. There are two entries on the Nines... one with pics and the other with a video of the room:

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...el_in_Portland (video)

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...s_to_the_Nines (pics)

Looks pretty swank! Kind of reminds me of the US Grant in San Diego but with brighter colors. I like the trend that seems to be evolving in the new/remodeled LC properties in North America with a more luxurious modern feel like the Nines, US Grant in San Diego, Joule in Dallas, Ivy in Minneapolis, SLS in Beverly Hills, Resort at Singer Island, etc.

Last edited by christianj; Nov 12, 2008 at 11:57 am
Old Nov 12, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Well, I wonder if Hotel Chatter had media permission?

I spoke with the media relations assistant last Friday. I am still waiting for someone from the hotel to contact me. I've left another message.

The Hotel Chatter photos look similar to my room photos except I had a King-Size bed and only one window.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by satori

I spoke with the media relations assistant last Friday. I am still waiting for someone from the hotel to contact me. I've left another message.

The Hotel Chatter photos look similar to my room photos except I had a King-Size bed and only one window.
This is offtopic, but hotel chatter similarly "stole" my pictures from my flickr pool even though my flickr T&C specifically noted the CC condition.

Their defense was that they linked their pictures to the originals.

However, linking pictures to the originals is only acceptable when thumbnail pictures are displayed in addition to properly crediting the source. Hotel chatter displays large pictures and in some cases, full size photo, without giving credit to the author.

I hope they get sued.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
New Staff

Stayed at The Nines for one night 11/10. I don't think they are SPG knowledgeable. I am Gold level - will be a Platinum in 2 weeks. I received no upgrade at all. I was put in literally the worst room possible - the 7th across the hall from the Sales & Catering office and right next door to a very noisy steel step stairwell. The room was extremely small and dark. I did not realize how bad this room was until I visited my daughters room on floor 9 - now she had checked in 3 hours AFTER I did - is not a SPG member - and her room was literally twice the size of mine with a beautiful room. So much for SPG loyalty levels.

The lobby level on the 8th floor is beautiful - very contemporary. The restaurant/bar is very beautiful - but a limited breakfast menu.

The gym on the 7th floor is very nice with plenty of room and equipment. The concierge staff is full of smiles, but not very competent in their jobs.

The location of The Nines is great - downtown center right across from Pioneer Park. I would probably go back, but not until I'm Platinum and only if I was placed on the 9th floor or above with Club/Lounge access.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
Haven't stayed at the Nines yet, but the bar/atrium, restaurant and billiards room are incredibly awesome with great service.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
This is offtopic, but hotel chatter similarly "stole" my pictures from my flickr pool even though my flickr T&C specifically noted the CC condition.
Wow! Not good and I would be upset too!

I wouldn't thinks so...how many of us ask for permission to take photos during our stays. Or are you saying that they need special "media" permission because they are there in a "media" capacity? I assume they would try and get around that by saying that the individual reviewer which posted on their website is no different than an individual FT or Tripadvisor member who posts picks and a review....basically an individual traveler who posts a review with pics and not a media representative. Just my assumption! Not trying to defend them or anything! Just saying.

Last edited by christianj; Nov 13, 2008 at 7:00 am
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
What's the record for time from sign-up to first post?

Welcome (back) to FT!

Mike

Originally Posted by jschutz
Stayed at The Nines for one night 11/10. I don't think they are SPG knowledgeable. I am Gold level - will be a Platinum in 2 weeks. I received no upgrade at all. I was put in literally the worst room possible - the 7th across the hall from the Sales & Catering office and right next door to a very noisy steel step stairwell. The room was extremely small and dark. I did not realize how bad this room was until I visited my daughters room on floor 9 - now she had checked in 3 hours AFTER I did - is not a SPG member - and her room was literally twice the size of mine with a beautiful room. So much for SPG loyalty levels.

The lobby level on the 8th floor is beautiful - very contemporary. The restaurant/bar is very beautiful - but a limited breakfast menu.

The gym on the 7th floor is very nice with plenty of room and equipment. The concierge staff is full of smiles, but not very competent in their jobs.

The location of The Nines is great - downtown center right across from Pioneer Park. I would probably go back, but not until I'm Platinum and only if I was placed on the 9th floor or above with Club/Lounge access.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Overall opinion: The Nines has a feel of luxury, but still some rough edges to smooth out.
That's an excellent description for many of the Luxury Collection properties that I have stayed at. They always look nice but somehow don't feel quite right.

Mike
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
No Platinum amenity at the Nines.

I just received a e-mail from Starwood on my request. This property does not participate in the Platinum Amenity 500 starpoint option. FYI.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
I spoke to the media relations person at the Nines last week.

She apologized for the delay and said there is no problem posting my hotel photos on Loyalty Traveler.

I posted a review with photos here.

Interesting that the Nines does not offer platinum amenity points. I guess lounge access is the platinum amenity which according to recent room rates is a $200 premium. I would expect a better wine selection in the lounge for that premium.

Now I just need to get stay credit and some Starpoints for my stay two weeks ago which still hasn't posted to my account.

And the rates for the Nines have dropped in the past two weeks to $199-$229 from their previous $249 per night. Luxury hotel rates are dropping all across the country rather quickly according to many of the hotel industry stories I've read this week.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:23 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...Interesting that the Nines does not offer platinum amenity points...
Actually there is only one Luxury Collection property and one St. Regis branded property in North America that does: The Palace Hotel in San Francisco and the St. Regis Houston.

All others are supposed to offer a locally-selected welcome amenity. Perhaps The Nines did chose theirs to be complimentary lounge access if there was nothing else left in the room itself.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:33 am
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Actually there is only one Luxury Collection property and one St. Regis branded property in North America that does: The Palace Hotel in San Francisco and the St. Regis Houston.

All others are supposed to offer a locally-selected welcome amenity.
Hmmm. When I stayed at The US Grant in San Diego on a Cash & Points stay in July 2008 (when I was SPG Platinum), my "Platinum Amenity" was 500 points, not something special to the area...
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:39 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by tommy777
I thought getting lounge access was a basic perk for Plats on all SPG properties, except resorts?
Nope. Just at Westin and Sheraton properties.

d. Access to the Club Level when staying at Sheraton hotels or access to the Executive Level when staying at Westin hotels, even when not staying on the Club Level or Executive Level floor(s). At Sheraton properties, access to the Club Level does not mean access to the Towers Level, even if there is no Club Level in the hotel and there is a Club Level in the Towers. Access to Towers Level is determined by each individual property. These benefits are limited to the member and one guest IF that guest is in the same room as the member. Lounge access is not available if a lounge is at maximum capacity or if a lounge is closed for any reason.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Planning to stay there myself in January. I would be really interested to hear what the hotel's policy is on upgrades and amenities.

If it's actually true that they give lounge access as an amenity, that's pretty lame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.