Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

President Wilson, Luxury Collection, Geneva, Switzerland [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

President Wilson, Luxury Collection, Geneva, Switzerland [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2007, 9:26 pm
Suspended

I travel to GVA about once every six weeks and normally split my stays between the PW, FS and MO. They are all good, but after my last stay, I am about to ditch the PW. I arrived at 12pm from the US and needed to shower and change for a 1230 lunch. I was in an Executive Suite at about 800 SFR and upon arrival was told the room wasn't ready and check-in time was 3pm. The fellow at the front desk "proposed" upgrading me to a one BR suite for about 1100 SFR. I said I would prefer a downgrade to a regular room. He went behind and came back and told me if I wanted a downgrade he would still need to charge me the rate for the Executive Suite. I asked to speak to the Front Desk Manager who told me that since I was within cancellation policy I would need to be charged for the rate I had reserved and that check-in time was 3pm. I noted I had requested early arrival on my spg.com reservation. She noted that these are only requests which I understand. Her final proposal - which I accepted but was not happy about - upgrade to the one-bedroom suite - first night at my previous rate, second night at the 1100 SFR rate.

The service at the hotel is excellent and they have a great Asian restaurant, but it felt like being at the bazaar checking-in.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Geneva - Hotel Wilson

Has anyone stayed at this property lately? I'm going to stay at this hotel in mid-Nov and wondering how is the room upgrade for a plat member? Is the hotel near any public transportation and convenience store?

I just read the comments on Tripadvisor and most of the comments are very negative: an overpriced hotel with outdated room and very poor services.

Last edited by ktjan; Oct 27, 2007 at 10:13 pm
Old Mar 1, 2008, 4:05 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Just spent a week in Geneva, 5 nights here at PW and 2 nights at the MO. Both were under construction, how can the PW STILL be undergoing construction? The front desk "moved" twice whiles I was at the PW. I was paying about 400 per night, the place really isnt "worth" that, but Geneva seems to be able command that. I would say this place is solid 5* circa 1980s. Unfortunately the MO wasnt much better.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 5:58 pm

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Cameo in the film Syriana

Just noticed the hotel has a cameo in the film Syriana http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365737/.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver
Still under construction

Somehow this hotel is still under renovation in the lobby. I was there April 2-5 for a business trip and the lobby was always quite loud and had work going on in different areas each day.

Had a regular room - basically above the entrance which had a partial view of the lake. Not sure whether they called this "city view" or a "lake view" room, but was fine for my purposes - sleeping and some light work.

I agree with most the other posters that the staff is quite friendly and helpful with dinner, tour, and other requests.

One interesting fact was when we arrive on 2 April, we were having drinks that night in the hotel bar and there were a lot of men that seemed to be bodyguards hanging around the restaurant across the hall. We struck up a conversation with one of the bartenders as to what was going on. Turns out the King of Bahrain was staying at the hotel....and had been for 4 weeks with 3 floors of the hotel!!! Seems the staff wasn't too fond of the demands that were put upon them during that time (keeping restaurants, bar open late, etc.)
Old Sep 5, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I am going to a medical conference in the third week in Oct - I usually prefer to stay in chain hotels overseas. In Geneva, there are no Hiltons or Marriotts, but there is the Starwood. I will staying in Geneva for 5 nights.

Has anyone stayed there recently? How would you rate the hotel? I too have read trip advisor - most of the reviews are not very positive.

I am a Starwood Gold member. What are the chances of being upgraded? I will be booking the room (with a breakfast plan) through a travel agent.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I am a Starwood Gold member. What are the chances of being upgraded? I will be booking the room (with a breakfast plan) through a travel agent.
Close to zero.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
I thought the hotel rooms were fine, the hotel lobby was fine, the service was acceptable, but none of this was anything overwhelming in any way. It certainly, to me, was not worth the price they ask for. Geneva being a huge pol town, it's where many of the pols stay, and since they're all on delegation from their countries, can charge the cost to the countries, and therefore the hotel can get away with charging more than what they're worth.

I will say this: when we went to Geneva, I was particularly interested in the historic areas of Geneva and not the slightest bit interested in the UN/WHO, etc area. I do not know of a hotel in historic old town area, but if you are simply going for vacation and to enjoy the area and don't care whether or not you are at a Starwood, I'd recommend seeing if you can find a hotel in the old town. It likely would be more reasonable and probably have a little bit more charm to it. This isn't to say this Starwood is without charm - just that it's overrated, in my opinion.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What recent renovations have been made here? Are Acqua di Parma toiletries in all rooms or just in suites?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
What recent renovations have been made here? Are Acqua di Parma toiletries in all rooms or just in suites?
Was there Thurs night and ADP was in my City View Junior Suite, so hard to tell about regular rooms.

They have finished the lobby and restaurants. There is a new bar area which looks very chic and cozy with couches, loungers and fireplaces in the space along the lake front. They said they will be doing the rooms next.

All in all, I find the service very efficient and my colleague who runs our GVA office always appreciates the SPG plat bottle of wine I get and pass along
Old Oct 26, 2008, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
All in all, I find the service very efficient and my colleague who runs our GVA office always appreciates the SPG plat bottle of wine I get and pass along
Is the wine local Plat amenity? It's been a few years since I stayed at the President Wilson, but I never received any wine.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 5:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CIT85
Is the wine local Plat amenity? It's been a few years since I stayed at the President Wilson, but I never received any wine.
yes, you can choose white or red - they also have a nice fruit bowl option
Old Nov 25, 2008, 2:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I was in the middle of planning my next trip to Europe (France and Switzerland) to take advantage of what will probably my last year as Plat for a while.

Then I found out this hotel is a Cat 7!

Would never have guessed it based on the posts. The Gritti Palace is a cat 7 (and worth it).

Is this even worth a cat 6?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 2:47 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
I was in the middle of planning my next trip to Europe (France and Switzerland) to take advantage of what will probably my last year as Plat for a while.

Then I found out this hotel is a Cat 7!

Would never have guessed it based on the posts. The Gritti Palace is a cat 7 (and worth it).

Is this even worth a cat 6?
It is not even worth a 5! With exception of the view on the lake and the good and innovative fusion restaurant, this hotel is terrible. I have been reading so many negative reviews for years (see also tripadvisor), and still nothing has been changed: Pure arrogance.

There are so many nice places, please avoid PW and take advantage of plat somewhere else (Westin Paris or Prince de Galle if you go to France)
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
Originally Posted by geilux
It is not even worth a 5! With exception of the view on the lake and the good and innovative fusion restaurant, this hotel is terrible. I have been reading so many negative reviews for years (see also tripadvisor), and still nothing has been changed: Pure arrogance.

There are so many nice places, please avoid PW and take advantage of plat somewhere else (Westin Paris or Prince de Galle if you go to France)

Everyone's entitled to their opinions... but i'm surprised by the negative comments... been here for 4 days, upgraded to a suite... lovely service, room was nice. Killer B&O TV/Stereo system...

aside from the expensive bar, i don't really know what to complain about

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.