Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Old Apr 15, 2007, 5:20 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Arrow W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Is it possible to get from MDW airport to the W Chicago Lakeshore via EL?

/mod

Earlier discussion can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...iscussion.html

/mod

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Oct 28, 2010 at 12:51 am
Old Apr 15, 2007, 5:38 pm
BCH

Yes, indeed!

Well, almost. Take the Orange line train from the airport to Randolph/Wabash stop, and then either take the 5-minute $5 cab ride to W LakeShore or walk either to State Street or to Michigan Avenue and take one of the buses that go to Navy Pier. The hotel is on LakeShore drive just by Navy Pier. The cab option from the El stop is the best, especially if you have luggage.

Welcome to Chicago!
Old Apr 15, 2007, 6:13 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

BCH,

Thank you very much! I will take the short cab ride advice. ^
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: AGR WOH
If doing all transit (for future reference), buy a $2.25 transit card at the Midway station, take Orange Line to State/Lake, go down the stairs and take a #29 bus northbound on State towards Navy Pier. Disembark on Illinois St. at McClurg Court (before going under Lake Shore Drive), walk three blocks north and one block east. Or, if you're easily disoriented, you could go to the Navy Pier bus terminal -- can see the W LS just north and west from there, and take the sidewalk/bike path over. (That walk's about an extra block.)

If taking a cab, any of the Orange Line's Loop stops should be fine -- I'd get out at Clark/Lake, really. It's further from the W LS but has elevators.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:22 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
For other Chicago public transit questions, check out their handy-dandy trip planner at http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/

It works very well.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
As a South Sider who takes the El to ORD weekly, and a frequent guest of the Lakeshore, let me just say these scenarios are all possible in theory, but not in practice if you are trying to wield massive suitcases around Chicagoland.

I would probably quit after the Orange Line into downtown and pick up a cab the rest of the way. But if you plan on using the CTA while you are here, buy a pass at MDW. Our fare structures changed last year and they are much less 'casual-rider friendly'--that is, no transfer passes issued on cash fares on buses. Buying the passes protects you from a lot of the CTA's recent price increases (mostly) and makes getting around Chicagoland generally a better experience.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Trip Report

Before I start, I just have to say, that this property resembles NOTHING to the previous owner, Days Inn. I have been hesitant to visit this property because of some of the horrible reviews out there with bad pictures. As it turns out, people just can't take pictures

On the edge of the Lake, W Lakeshore is located at the corner of Lake Shore Dr and Ontario. It's fabulous in the summer months because of the lake and the walk is pleasant. However, it could be bitter in the winter months to walk these blocks. However, taxi is always available. Should you insist on taking CTA, simply take the blue line from O'hare, get off at Clark, walk over 2 blocks to State Red Line, get off Grand, then walk 8 blocks towards to Lake (pain eh? ) Seriously though, the location is pretty good. There are walgreens, starbucks, dunkin donuts, liquor stores less than a block away and the magnificent mile is just a few blocks away.

Entrance
The lobby was pretty nice. Apparently, this property has also recently adopted to W's new color schemes: white and bright, instead of the usual dark colors. The living room had a few comfy (?) chairs and sofas. There were a bar and restaurant on the other side.

Check in
Check in counter was located on the left upon entering the lobby. As soon as I walked up, a friendly agent greeted me witha warm smile and asked for my information. She informed me about my upgrade to the Marvelous Suite (she said it quite loud, people next to me turned heads ), offered platinum amenity, offered 4PM check out, and sent me on my way.

Room/Suite
I guess all the suites face the lake, which is great, because it makes the suite a lot brighter. I entered the corner suite and found an inviting living room with the usual big screen TV, bang and olufsen stereo with Sirius, amazing view of Navy Pier and the lake, a half bath, wet bar and a dressing area. A pair of bamboo French doors separated the master bedroom from the living room. The master bedroom offered another flat panel TV and of course, the W Cloud 9 1/2 bed The master bathroom, separate by a sliding bamboo door and shutters, had separate bath and shower. Because of the shutters, one could take in the breathtaking lake view from the rainfall shower. It was fabulous. Because of its hidden corner location, it offered tremendous amount of privacy and limited noise issues (door slamming, people screaming, etc). Overall, the suite was fabulous.

The only downside was the older AC/heating units on the wall. They were noisy. Noise is not a friend of a light sleeper.

Gym
The gym was great. There were actually quite a few machines. As usual, fresh fruit and cold towels in the fridge were a nice touch to the facility. They also offered free headsets to watch TV or listen to music on your cardio machine. There was a tiny pool attached to the gym, which I did not utilize.

Room Service/Dining
The room service menu was actually quite limited. I was pretty surprised since Ws usually offer great room service items. I did, however, find some healthier options like the grilled chicken wrap. Instead of fries, I asked for some fruit and my order was accepted gladly. Dessert menu, however, was pretty good as usual.

There was an in house restaurant called Wave with Mediterranean influenced cusine. With so many other options in Chicago, I didn't really want to eat at the hotel. There were several bar/lounges in the hotel, including a lovely bar on the top floor, a very nice place with great views.

I don't know why there are some bad reviews out there because I had a great time. The room was absolutely fantastic and the view was to die for. I have never had a bad experience at a W hotel, ever. The staff always goes far and beyond to meet my needs, with a great attitude.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I agree with BlissWorld, after reading pages of marginal reviews.

Based on this post, I might have to try this place. Although I prefer being at one of the Michigan Avenue properties.

And Yes, you folks need to take pictures and include them in your trip reports.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
I agree with BlissWorld, after reading pages of marginal reviews.

Based on this post, I might have to try this place. Although I prefer being at one of the Michigan Avenue properties.

And Yes, you folks need to take pictures and include them in your trip reports.

Cheap Elite...you might want to amend your quote to say...you folks need to take pics and include WORKING links (unlike your Hilton Fort Lauderdale review)...not nice casting aspersions...:-)

Blissworld,
thanks for the in depth review...you seem to have had the opposite experience as me...glad you enjoyed your stay in my favorite city on the planet!

Last edited by bsdstone; Jan 29, 2008 at 3:57 pm Reason: added smiley...sorry cheap!
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
The chance of getting a suite upgrade for a plat member is highly dependent on the rate you pay at this property. I live in Chicago burb and have spent several weekends (10+) at this hotel in the past two years and I never got upgraded to a suite (always a lakeview room) due to the cheap rate I paid. When I asked if there were any suites available for upgrade at check-in, I always got the usual response: "oh sorry sir, all suites are sold out today." Whatever, whenever...
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Cheap Elite...you might want to amend your quote to say...you folks need to take pics and include WORKING links (unlike your Hilton Fort Lauderdale review)...not nice casting aspersions!
Oh please. It was one review out of thet many I've done where there was a problem. Anywhooooooo, thanks for the reminder, I forgot to edit that post. ^
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Cheap Elite...you might want to amend your quote to say...you folks need to take pics and include WORKING links (unlike your Hilton Fort Lauderdale review)...not nice casting aspersions!
Oh please. It was one review out of thet many I've done where there was a problem. Anywhooooooo, thanks for the reminder, I forgot to edit that post. ^
Old Jan 29, 2008, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Sorry, I forgot to add the smiley face...it was a joke...I appreciate your reports and your pictures, you are one of the few here who tend to have the same taste as I do so I always consider your reviews if I am headed to a property.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by ktjan
The chance of getting a suite upgrade for a plat member is highly dependent on the rate you pay at this property. I live in Chicago burb and have spent several weekends (10+) at this hotel in the past two years and I never got upgraded to a suite (always a lakeview room) due to the cheap rate I paid. When I asked if there were any suites available for upgrade at check-in, I always got the usual response: "oh sorry sir, all suites are sold out today." Whatever, whenever...
I never considered that the suite upgrades would be governed by the rate one pays though I guess it makes sense. Is this common practice or unique to W Lakeshore? I suppose they might go by status (Plat, etc.) and then rate paid. That said, I've been upgraded at Ws like the Court on things like the Amex third night free rate.

I'm headed to Lakeshore next week on one of those rates but the hotel looks pretty open right now with suites available. Hoping for the good news at check-in...or when I check spg.com the night before (per Blissworld's experience).
Old Feb 3, 2008, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
Smile Thanks!!!

BlissWorld- Thanks for the post. I'm staying there this upcoming week and started to get nervous due to all the negative posts. I'm pretty exceited to check it out, especially since this is my first W stay. Hopefully my Plat will result in an upgrade.

Thanks-Paul

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.