Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Personally, I don't really have any problems with this hotel except the fact that out of my 6 previous stays I only got upgraded once to a suite (after asking/ begging). Obviously, given that this is a W and you SHOULD expect to see some snooty staff who may look down on you if you are not a fashionista!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ktjan
Personally, I don't really have any problems with this hotel except the fact that out of my 6 previous stays I only got upgraded once to a suite (after asking/ begging). Obviously, given that this is a W and you SHOULD expect to see some snooty staff who may look down on you if you are not a fashionista!
Oh please, half of the people in there have no style and wouldn't know what a fashionista is, if Andre Leon Talley slapped them with a Prada driving glove!

AVOID THIS DUMP!
Old Sep 12, 2009, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Thumbs down W Chicago - Lakeshore: Part 2

Keep in mind I was told a director inspected my room.

Overall First Impression: Why did I come here, I knew better, I should have stayed at the Four Points like my friends.

Bed: Standard W Bed. As I get closer, I notice there is lipstick on the pillow case. How could that be missed?

Furniture & Decor: Old, damaged, not well maintaintained. There is an iron burn on the chaise.

Closet Space: I totaly forgot about this. There are no closets they are cubbyholes, with a curtain infront, masquarading as a closet.

TV: The TV is the only thing in the room that meets expectations.
Lighting: Good lighting in the room, you can see all the problems.
Workspace: Long desk with storage space under. There aren't very many outlets so they've rigged a power strip outlet to the side of the desk. It's not secured very well, I adjust it.

View: Of the lake. Two out of the three blinds do not work and there are spiders
everywhere, on the outside of the window. They most have some infestation.

Radio/Audio: iPod docking station, which didn't charge my Ipod touch.

Guest Room Bathrooms [3]

Small bathrooms, but it serves my needs.
Sink: Small and not much space to spread out. Two people cannot use the sink area at once. But atleast there is enough space around the sink to lay out toiletries.
Shower: nice pressure and flow
Tub: None
Toiletries: Typical Bilss sink side six pack.

Housekeeping [0]
Based on what I found in the bathroom of the first room I was assigned, I would say this is an area that needs immediate improvement!

Club Level/Lounge [N/A]
No

Fitness Center [2]
Small. Adjacent to the pool. The chlorine from the pool was so strong, you couldn't breate. There was one guy on the free weight and one guy on the tread mill I asked them if they thought the smell of chlorine was over powering and agreed. The guy on the treadmill and I left.

Pool [0]
Yes, but over chlorinated. It was nauseating. It was so strong people were on the deck trying to catch their breath.

Business Center N/A
I've never seen one.

Whatever/Whenever [0]
The absoultute pits. These folks and the first check in person I encountered must be related. They all have the same stank attitude.

High Speed Wired/Wireless Internet Access [4]
The fee is $14.95 fee in rooms. No drops or issues.

Parking/Valet [N/A]
Don't know

Dining [N/A]
There is a restaurant on site but have never eaten there and have don't know of anyone that has had a “good meal” there.

Miscellaneous – Whatever/Wheneve & Acura service [fail!]
The morning of departure around 8AM, I called whatever/whenever for acura service for 2 PM. I was told they are not until Noon, but I could leave a message and they would base reservations based on the time of the calls. I leave a detailed message requesting my ride and leave my room and cellular number.

I get in line, I'm third in line. There are two people working the desk. The single person is taken care of and the couple moves up, at this time the second W/W person comes out and takes the couple behind me. She acts as though I'm not even there. I say “I'm next in line” she just ignores me. The people behinds even indicate i'm next. She ignores me....so I just leave, before my temper sets in and I clear out the place.

I went out to breakfast, hung with friends from the area and took my leisurly time. I get back and think, oh...I better check that ride. The lobby is very busy with people checking in, checking out and just milling about. I go over to the area where the acura people are stationed but there is a sign saying closed, use whatever/when ever. I think, How could the W/W person not know they would be closed. So I go over to the W/W desk. There are three people there now. An older lady to the left, the woman I encountered earlier and a younger guy. I ignore the woman and start speaking with the guy and try to explain what i did earlier. Before he could answer the older (bitter) woman snapped, they're not here and there is only one car. I'm like well I left a voice mail as instructed by W/W does tht count for anything. She replies, “no the car is booked. I have a couple going to the museum of science in the next 15/20 minutes (when the car returns) and perhaps you can ride with them to your destination. They can drop you off and continue on.” I agree and say “I'll go up to my room put away the few remaining things and wait for your call” She agrees.

About 15 later, I think, I'll just check out and wait right infront of the W/W stand because if I don't this will be failure no. 55!

I go downstairs, wave to the older woman and indicate i'll be at the front desk, she nods. I check out and I'm talking to the manager on duty. A few minutes later the older woman comes by and I ask, “Is the couple ready?” She replies, “Oh they left.” The MOD and I just look at each other. I tell her this is how my stay has been since I stepped foot in this property. Nothing has gone right. I will never stay here again. He MOD is kind enough to pay for a cab.

To add salt to the wound, when I get my efolio. There is at 10.52 charge from the munchie box.

Check-out [5 out of 5]
The young lady who checked me out, was 180 opposite the person who checked me in. When she asked me how my stay was and saw that my room was comped, she replied, “Wow, that makes no sense.” She offered me the points equivalent to one night and asked me to return. I told her, I would never step foot in this property and strongly advice anyone I know or within my reach never to book a room here so I declinded the points. She then asked me again about the points and I told her, “I know this isn't your fault, but since you're pressing the issue, I don't want the points, I want the problems fixed so that no other guest has to deal with what i've dealt with.” She was very calm and professional and got the MOD for me. While I waited for the MOD, she checked me out and verified that I wanted my folio emailed.

FINAL IMPRESSION
Overall hotel cleanliness:
Nasty. Poorly maintained and that is accepted as OK by the management.

Staff attitude, conduct & support:
This place reeks of the “W Attitude” although they are in now way entitled to have an attiduted. The place is a dump from top to bottom and skating by on the W Brand name.

Great if you want lake front and navy pier access. Other than that its off the transit map and you'll need to walk a block or two before you can access public transportation. The walk from the hotel to Michigan Avenue is about 10 minutes and I'm a fast walker. In winter it's will be a different story.

Would I return?
NO! You couldn't pay me to book a room and complete a stay at this property.

Would I recommend this as family friendly?
Hell no.

Good for business travelers?
No.

Good for a romantic get away?
No

Would I recommend for someone looking for Dining/Nightlife?
No.

Would I recommend restaurant?
No.

Value for price paid?
Terrible.

Overall property rating on a scale from 1 to 10 = 2. THIS JOINT IS A EPIC MASSIVE FAILURE! AVOID THIS PROPERTY AT ALL COSTS.

Please note: I had to break this into two parts. I need to give you visuals. You'll will need to click on hyperlinks as I can only post 20 pictures per post.

Last edited by KENNECTED; Sep 12, 2009 at 3:34 pm
Old Sep 12, 2009, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Post W Chicago - Lakeshore: Part 1

Common Areas [2]
This property is the poster child for putting lipstick on a fat, ugly pig. The lobby is cramped and the restaurant is shoved in the rear of the lobby.

Each floor has an “observation area” adjacent to the elevators, but you can barely see anything as the windows are filthy. Hallways are dark and not well lit. They could stand to be freshened up.

Guest Rooms [0]
I walk into my room, to find I got exactlly what I booked. No biggie, I plan on being out most of the day. As many of you know, my ritual know, upon entry to a room, is to flip the dead bolt and do an inspection. I didn't do that as I had to use the bathroom. I walk into the bathroom and find an unsanity surprise (I will not mention here). I walk out of the bathroom and into the room , I notice the tatter blinds, then I stains on the carpet. I call down to discuss the check in issue and request a new room. The Whatever/Whenever manager makes the arrangements. While waiting, I go over to the window, only to find blinds that are about to fall off and that do not operate properly. The windows are dirty and there are spiders inside and outside the window. I sit on the chaise and realize there are holes in the chaise. Capital ...! The W/W guy arrives a few minutes later, he's super cool, I show him my findings. He appologizes he gives me two drink tickets. I get off the elevator and he continues down to the lobby.

On to room two. In this room, I walk in and immediately say “Oh, hell no!” More tattered blinds, dirty carpet and a burn on the wall, about the size of a light bulb. The burn is so big, I can see it from the bathroom door. I call W/W again. So again, I wait for new keys. I go over to take a look out at the navy pier and the blinds don't even let up, I look down and there is a condom wrapper. Ridiculous!

On to room three. While walking down the hall, I hear, what sounds like, a small dog barking. I think to my self, “I hope that mutt isn't next to me!”. Sure enough it was. This room is decent, but I don't like tubs and the dog barking was so loud I ask to be moved.

This time they tell me the rooms director is going to personally inspect the next room for me. While waiting, I call the PC, to inform them of what has taken place, and he asks me if I had a dog? Thats how loud the dog is.

After I'm done with the PC, I go outside to knock on the door of the doggie room and the maid, the guy on the other side of that room, the couple across the hall are all outside complaining about the dog barking. The occupants of the room return. A group of women that are staying next door. They claimed they've only been gone a shot time, but I've been there approximately 15/20 minutes and the guy on the other side of their room and the maid said the dog has been barking non stop for nearly 45 minutes. I told them all to call downstairs and complain. Why should each of your stays be ruined?

I go back into the room and try to open the blinds, two of the three work. Why do they have these things I they don't operate properly or are hard to maintain? In each room they were in such poor condition.

I move to room four but they still cannot get it right. I cant do a full inspection because I must leave for my event.

When I return I do an inspection. There is no service book. So I request a book so I can order room service and someone shoves photocopies under the door. I call again, when the person arrives with the book, I'm told, "we're busy", that should be transparent to me.

Keep in mind I was told a director inspected my room.

Last edited by KENNECTED; Sep 12, 2009 at 3:36 pm
Old Sep 12, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Thank you very much for your very detailed review. I was not able to click on your hyperlinks, but I got the gist. It definitely does not look like someplace I would want to spend my summer vacation, but for the one night we need I think we're going to stick with it. None of the things you complained about would be a dealbreaker for me taken one at a time, but I can see where since they ALL happened on the same stay it was like the straw that broke the camel's back. And I'll (we'll - I also had my husband read it so when we arrived he didn't say "what a dump") be mentally prepared for it.

Other than the spiders, were there any "bugs"? That's a dealbreaker for me.

But the location, using points, and trying out a W that I was expecting not to like anyway due to our very uncool and unhip-ness will be ok for one night.

I hope.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Thank you very much for your very detailed review. I was not able to click on your hyperlinks, but I got the gist. It definitely does not look like someplace I would want to spend my summer vacation, but for the one night we need I think we're going to stick with it. None of the things you complained about would be a dealbreaker for me taken one at a time, but I can see where since they ALL happened on the same stay it was like the straw that broke the camel's back. And I'll (we'll - I also had my husband read it so when we arrived he didn't say "what a dump") be mentally prepared for it.

Other than the spiders, were there any "bugs"? That's a dealbreaker for me.

But the location, using points, and trying out a W that I was expecting not to like anyway due to our very uncool and unhip-ness will be ok for one night.

I hope.
Spend your money where you are appreciated. I would go to either of the Westin, before suggesting you stay here. I fixed the link. I checked for bed bugs. The only bugs I saw were spiders.

Last edited by KENNECTED; Sep 12, 2009 at 3:38 pm
Old Sep 12, 2009, 6:14 pm

OK, OK, you've made your point. No more Chicago LS W for you. We've all had bad experiences. Let's move on.

Cheers,

Last edited by Flews; Sep 12, 2009 at 6:26 pm
Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Avoid it!
Oh please, half of the people in there have no style and wouldn't know what a fashionista is, if Andre Leon Talley slapped them with a Prada driving glove!

AVOID THIS DUMP!
Cheap Elite...please correct me....you didn't get a suite upgrade,spat the dummy big time (according to Heather and Jolene) and are on some vendetta to stop anyone from staying here again??
Get over it...sometimes it doesn't work out.
I have had many stays here and have never been disappointed...perhaps you are not like Oscar Wilde..."We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars"
Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Delightful Lady
Cheap Elite...please correct me....you didn't get a suite upgrade,spat the dummy big time (according to Heather and Jolene) and are on some vendetta to stop anyone from staying here again??
Get over it...sometimes it doesn't work out.
I have had many stays here and have never been disappointed...perhaps you are not like Oscar Wilde..."We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars"
Apparently you didn't read what I wrote. Or is that bad attempt at sarcasm?
Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:37 am

Apparently you didn't read what I wrote. Or is that bad attempt at sarcasm?
Its apparent what you wrote. Apparently, everyone's stays are different as there are a number of glowing reports about this property and the excellent treatment received.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDNtravler
Its apparent what you wrote. Apparently, everyone's stays are different as there are a number of glowing reports about this property and the excellent treatment received.
Seriously? I said nothing about being upset about not receiveing a suite. If I wanted a suite I would have booked one. How many times, on this very forum, have a I said, "if you want a particular room type, book it??"

I'm very aware that everyone experience may vary. There are trusted sources in this forum that have had bad stays in hotels where I've had good stays. I've been surprised by that.

However, for one property to have so many "breakdowns", "service issues" and horribly maintained rooms in 24 hours is inexcusable. I don't want anyone to go thru what I did. Which is why I post here on the regular. To date, my reviews have been highly favored.

This place is to be avoided.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I had an uneventful stay recently, til after I left the hotel. I had forgotten my wallet in the room, a fact I did not realize til I got to O'Hare. I called hotel security and they went up to the room and found my wallet. I asked them to put it in a taxi for O'Hare and give the driver my cell number. They did and all ended well. That was great service.

The hotel was quite full so I didn't get a suite, but I got a nice room anyways. They forgot to ask me about the Plat amenity and I had to get CS to give me the 500 points later, but oh well.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:28 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Seriously? I said nothing about being upset about not receiveing a suite. If I wanted a suite I would have booked one. How many times, on this very forum, have a I said, "if you want a particular room type, book it??"

I'm very aware that everyone experience may vary. There are trusted sources in this forum that have had bad stays in hotels where I've had good stays. I've been surprised by that.

However, for one property to have so many "breakdowns", "service issues" and horribly maintained rooms in 24 hours is inexcusable. I don't want anyone to go thru what I did. Which is why I post here on the regular. To date, my reviews have been highly favored.

This place is to be avoided.
CE, message for you from the W Chicago Lakeshore GM...

On behalf of the W Chicago - Lakeshore I am disappointed to hear that your escape with us was not up to your expectations for the W Brand. As the General Manager of the hotel I sincerely appreciate your feedback and would love to discuss your experiences with you directly.

Heather,
Complex General Manager, W Hotels of Chicago

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Had a looooooooooooooooooong talk with the General Manager of the W's in Chicago. She was very nice and I feel sincerely wanted to hear my issues. (in addition I gave her feedback on my city center stay and praised two employees). She took three pages of notes. She said she would investigate and get back to me.

She spoke to all those who I encountered and came to the conclusion the rooms I experienced were not up to snuff. Those rooms were taken out of service. She informed me they have a team on staff that reviews rooms on a Quarterly basis and now that review schedule will be increased.

She assured me, my stay was not normal and that, that property normally receives high marks. IMHO, I dont think those folks are regular hotel folks. She asked me to come back; I thanked her, but declined. I explained I try to give each property two chances; this was my second bad stay at the WLS. [its on the list with the four points Miami, CE will not be back]

I explained I wanted to hear and discuss my issues with her before going to CCS. I got the feeling she really didn't know what was going on in the rooms and the directors at the various divisions of the hotel were not up to snuff. I feel she will take the necessary actions to make sure that no future guest has an experience like mine.

Hopefully my trip review and conversation with the GM will help so that others don't pay high rates for shabby rooms. Personally, Id still avoid the place.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Well I hope your rattling the cage improves things for my October stay (still the best location for us to use spg points for one night), if not I'll know to drop Heather's name.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.