Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I made two FULLY REFUNDABLE reservations at this hotel for February 2017. I canceled back in early December. Was never refunded my deposit (which was for the entire price of the stay plus taxes).

I contacted the hotel and they said they would process the refund. That was on 12/8/16.

They never did so I disputed the charge with Amex (I used my SPG Amex for the reservation).

Amex denied my dispute saying they had received proof from the hotel that the room was non-refundable!! They showed me communication from the hotel; a very sketchy looking form that had "non-refundable" circled!

My email clearly shows "FULLY REFUNDABLE". The Director of Operations confirmed (I have it in an email) it was refundable and that she was going to process the refund.

Is someone making fake bills to steal from this property? What is going on W?
  1. Have you spoken with the GM of the property? If so what transpired?
  2. If no to the above, have you contacted Starwoood Corporate Customer Service, If so what transpired?
  3. If not to the above, have you gone back to AMEX with your proof? If so what transpired?
Let us know how this turns out.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
  1. Have you spoken with the GM of the property? If so what transpired?
  2. If no to the above, have you contacted Starwoood Corporate Customer Service, If so what transpired?
  3. If not to the above, have you gone back to AMEX with your proof? If so what transpired?
Let us know how this turns out.
Thanks. Currently I am working with the Director of Operations for the property. If that doesn't work, I am planning on going to the GM.

I also contacted SPG via Twitter and they had me send in my info as well.

I'll keep you updated, I appreciate the steps you outlined.

UPDATE: I was finally able to get the full amount refunded to my credit card. I also reached out to SPG on Twitter and they gave me 3,000 SPG points as an apology. Water under the bridge now.

Last edited by Single_Flyer; Jan 13, 2017 at 12:32 am
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: BONVOY Lifetime Platinum , Ay Platinum, Hhonors Diamond
Not many recent reports here on this property.

Had a 3 night stay in here and wasn't too impressed. No suite upgrade althought availability shown on spg.com. Tiny "faboulous" room with zero amenities, no minibar/refigerator, no coffee/tea maker. Views to the lake michigan were great thought.

Zero plat recognition besides question about points or breakfast. Should have taken points since the breakfast was most stingiest that i have experienced in SPG program. Only bad quality bagels and some cerials aloung with couple of fruits. Then 2-3 different pastries etc. Coffee OR orange juice Of course you could have upgrade with money, but that's not really a real plat benefit is it?

Pool closed on one day without any info given about reason nor opening times. Gym ok.

Location ok with an easy access to Magnificient mile or Navy pier

On the day of the departure called to get help with luggage, waited 20 min and decided to do it myself since i guess they were too busy downstairs. Next time somewhere else...
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Some
I stayed here on a cash rate in a suite in November. You weren't missing much regarding the suite, they are basically just a decent-sized junior suite. Unfortunately my room wasn't ready when I turned up at about 3.30pm so I had a bit of a wait around in the bar, also seem to remember they weren't willing to give me a free drink voucher which felt a bit cheap given I was booked in a suite rather than an upgrade and the room wasn't ready at the promised time.

Thought the location and public areas were both pretty good, but the room felt relatively cheaply furnished and was also a little bit impractical. Nice view of the lake. Service not terrible but equally no standout good service that I can remember. I think if I remember correctly the suite had a minibar in it but was empty inside / on request only. All in all, not terrible but as someone that stays mostly at Asian Ws this was clearly a couple of steps down the ladder. I also stayed at The Gwen on the same visit and was much more impressed with that.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
A few thoughts:
  • W brand is supposed to be pristine and glossy, but the interior looks like it could use at least a touch-up if not a full refresh
  • MAGC-eligible, and they asked at check-in if I'd like to opt in
  • Bar was lively at most hours
  • AM coffee was just a few containers of unbranded coffee--not gourmet experience
  • Location: Easy walking distance to Mich Ave and Navy Pier, but not 'in the center of it all' like other properties
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
After spending four days at this hotel this month, I’d be surprised if it remained flagged as a W for much longer.

The hotel claims that it only does newspapers on request, and will require an early morning wake-up call (regardless if wanted) before sending someone to 7-Eleven to pick up a paper. Even after I asked for no early morning wake up call it happened again on Sunday. Waking me up before 7a on two weekend days in a row means I’m no longer a W customer.

The Bliss spa is closed, and the hotel does not have the W standard Bliss toiletries. They had something made in China featuring something like melon extract from some lady in Italy.

The breakfast was kinda minimal, and it seemed like the restaurant was understaffed.

FWIW, we arrived early evening Thursday and found the hotel has free neon yoga (or something like that) during HH timing on Thursday which we just missed.

As a tea nerd, and coffee avoider, it seemed strange that the hotel makes is super hard to find hot water.

Unless you must stay at this property for an event, or want to see the summer fireworks, I’d recommend avoiding.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold and Current Platinum, Hilton Gold
Any recent stays here? It seems like it is relatively newly renovated.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 6:20 pm

This place is a dump. Stay at either the Ritz Carleton or Park Hyatt/Peninsula.

Most of the hotels in the Marriott portfolio are pretty shabby in chicago, but this place is REALLY bad. surly staff, crappy treatment, and horrible clientele. Last time I was here there were two guests passed out on the front lawn for about an hour. The W City center is pretty nice, but it is not near ANYTHING if you are doing the tourist thing.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 7:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold and Current Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
This place is a dump. Stay at either the Ritz Carleton or Park Hyatt/Peninsula.

Most of the hotels in the Marriott portfolio are pretty shabby in chicago, but this place is REALLY bad. surly staff, crappy treatment, and horrible clientele. Last time I was here there were two guests passed out on the front lawn for about an hour. The W City center is pretty nice, but it is not near ANYTHING if you are doing the tourist thing.
Thanks! Booked the Ritz on a STARS rate. Excited to check it out.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Any recent reports from stays here? Still advice avoiding this place?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by legionnaire
Any recent reports from stays here? Still advice avoiding this place?
Even if the hotel itself has improved (which I sincerely doubt), the location isn't desirable unless you've got a nearby event, want to be near Oak Street Beach/Navy Pier, or maybe to watch the summer fireworks. Consider these instead:

Best overall: The Gwen
Best for business: JW Marriott
Best location: Westin River North or Renaissance Chicago Downtown (or anything within a few blocks from there)
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preffered, Delta GM
I stayed 10/7-10/9 as it was a Chicago Marathon hotel. I hit Titanium the Tuesday before. I got 'upgraded' to a lake view, room 716. There are two rooms on the 7th floor. The rest are conference and the gym/pool. The room was fine but, as my first W I am happier i went RC in Barcelona over W.

Check-in was too loud. It is next to the bar and at 8pm on a Friday the music was too loud. The sound by the elevator bank was also too loud.

The location ain't great as others have said. It is 15min to the closest train stop.

I did see 12/24-12/25 pricing at $135 on google. At that price i would be all over this place. At 300+/night, I'm not sure.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Front desk says Platinum breakfast benefit is only $10 credit person (2 ppl max)…

How is such a limited breakfast benefit possible?
Old Sep 16, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by nologic
Front desk says Platinum breakfast benefit is only $10 credit person (2 ppl max)…

How is such a limited breakfast benefit possible?
You can’t get anything here for breakfast for $10 person…even 2 yogurt parfaits to go comes to $28 before tip…thankfully coffee is free in the lobby. I don’t understand how this hotel is allowed to do this. At a minimum, they should provide for the equivalent of a continental breakfast.

I do highly recommended take out from Gotham Bagels (approx 7 min walk). Even their flavored cream cheeses are excellent. Also, there is a 7-11 one block from the hotel.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by nologic
I don’t understand how this hotel is allowed to do this.
Properties routinely bend and flout the Bonvoy program rules (breakfast benefits, late checkout, SNAs) because there are rarely, if ever, repercussions for doing so, either from Marriott or from guests.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.