Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Pittsburgh, PA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 3:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Stay Report - 5/21 to 5/22

Location: The hotel is located on 6th Street just a block south of the Allegheny River. Right now the 6th Street Bridge is closed for construction and most of 6th Street itself is torn up as well. You can still park at the garage across from the hotel at least but getting around is trickier than usual. It's still an amazing location for a Pirates game or for being downtown.

Hotel: The hotel is one of those glorious renovated old buildings turned into a Renaissance. The building dates to the early 20th century and is beautiful inside and out. The lobby especially is lovely and it has a restaurant, coffee shop and really good cocktail bar. There's also a small store.

Check In: I checked in at 12:30 Pm and was able to get right into my room which is always a huge bonus. I was thanked for being Titanium and given two waters as well.

Room: Very nice and large enough for an older building. The room itself was lovely with high ceilings, a desk, large TV, outlets near the bed and no issues with soundproofing. The bathroom was a touch on the small side however.

Dining: The cocktail bar was wonderful, I was glad I went and they stay open until 1 AM. Breakfast was disappointing though. A really limited menu and the Titanium benefit was $10 off entrees (which doesn't cover drinks) or a continental breakfast.

https://cmk10.smugmug.com/Travel/Fly...es/i-L92PNPQ/A

I was able to use a 4 PM late checkout. My rate was a staggering $339 pre tax but I was still really happy with my stay and would come back.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 7:57 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I was upgraded to a River View room. Lovely view of river, bridges, and PNC Park. However, with the bridge still under repair, you may get woken up in the morning to the lovely noise of jackhammering, generators, and trucks if you're facing the river.

Lounge is up on the 14th floor. Forgot to take a picture of the sign, but I recall it being open Mondays through Fridays. Breakfast is served until about 10am. Evening snacks start about 5pm. Lounge closes around 10pm and is not accessible until the morning, so need to grab snacks and non-alcoholic beverages before they close.
1200GS likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 6:32 am

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Here is a pic of the lounge sign I took from about 3 weeks ago, for the Lounge update thread. This is probably my favorite marriott hotel in Pitt - I stay there probably ... 3-4 times year, and have the same experience with upgrades. Lobby bar is enjoyable, and the staff makes a point to remember me (its the little things these days...). The architecture of the building is really quite nice when you think about it.

Originally Posted by 1200GS
This is no longer accurate: * Pittsburgh / Renaissance / CLOSED; Open brekkie only on weekends; key accessible; 03/23 update

Renaissance Pittsburgh lounge (14th floor) is open for breakfast monday-friday 6:30-10am and evenings sunday-thursday 5-7pm. Traditional breakfast offerings in the AM. I haven't been in the evening, but they do have a stocked beer cooler.

DELee likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Is it safe walking distance to the ballpark with the construction?
Old Aug 27, 2023, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
Is it safe walking distance to the ballpark with the construction?
Yes, still an easy walk. Just head down one block to the Warhol bridge, cross, turn left, and you'll be at PNC - about a 10 min walk.
yyzflyer likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
Yes, still an easy walk. Just head down one block to the Warhol bridge, cross, turn left, and you'll be at PNC - about a 10 min walk.
Thanks. Normally we'd stay at the RI near the stadium but it has been stupidly expensive on game nights, so looking for an alternative for next season. Thought perhaps the construction would require a reroute not shown on the map. Marriott certainly has an excellent presence in the area.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 5:50 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
I can't say for sure, but it seems as if there are a lot of visiting team employees that stay at this hotel during games. Not sure of players.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
Thanks. Normally we'd stay at the RI near the stadium but it has been stupidly expensive on game nights, so looking for an alternative for next season. Thought perhaps the construction would require a reroute not shown on the map. Marriott certainly has an excellent presence in the area.
Ah yes, I recently stayed a game day at the RI across the street from PNC as well. Obviously super convenient...20 seconds door-to-door to the home plate gate. Definitely not cheap, but I was able to get upgraded to a larger room with no problem.
yyzflyer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:40 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
After a slate of difficult stays at the Pittsburgh Marriott and Oaklander, I found the competence at the Renaissance to be quite comforting. Here are my impressions of this good stay:
  • Upgraded the morning of arrival to an Executive Corner King - lots of windows and good view out towards the bridges
  • Cocoon-like chair was kind of fun
  • Bed was quite comfortable - very plush mattress, plush pillows, medium covers
  • Shower pressure was very good (strong) and temperature was consistent
  • One elevator was out, so waits were a bit extended for the remaining two elevators
  • Given some very good peanut butter cups and a root beer as a welcome gift at check-in
  • Had to ask, but no issue with 4 PM late checkout
  • Told I would be getting welcome points and $10 F&B credit - didn’t seem to be much of anything less than $10, so didn’t use
  • Unsure about restaurant breakfast during weekend - I saw the menu mentioned an Elite Continental for $14 - hopefully, a credit is given for other entrees
  • Weekday breakfast in lounge - decent eggs and bacon, most pastries gone by 8:30ish or so
  • Evening service in lounge Sunday through Thursday - seemed to be meatballs, some shrimp in a bowl, and some oatmeal cookies - not exciting

I wouldn’t have an issue returning to this property if I needed to be in Pittsburgh again.

Photos:

LSEGallipot likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
After a slate of difficult stays at the Pittsburgh Marriott and Oaklander, I found the competence at the Renaissance to be quite comforting. Here are my impressions of this good stay:
Thanks for another great review, which I cannot "Like". I'm in Pittsburgh in a couple of months but looking more "down-market" due to high rates.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.