Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by KSinNYC
Sorry, but I guess we'll have to agree to have different opinions on this one. A business center is a perfectly acceptable solution, and is actually a nice profit center in most hotels. But I do think it's reasonable to expect internet access in a Sheraton, without REQUIRING somebody to bring the hardware with them.
Fair enough. I never said it was unreasonable to expect internet access...just that I find it far more accessible, convenient, and most importantly secure to use my own computer. Not to mention the fact that I can also use my netbook at the airport, on the plane, etc. My new Mini 9 only weighs 2.2 pounds...so it's benefits far outweigh the space and weight it adds to my carry on...imho.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: spg/gold, Hawaiianmiles
MOANA MEMBERSHIP CLUB? What would you do?

Hi all, going to Maui next week, 5 days of our stay will be at the Sheraton with an award room for 48K points (12k/nite with fith nite free). As a gold SPG gold are hoping for some type of upgrade as others have reported here. Anyway I received the following email just recently:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
For a limited time, we are offering a membership program to a few of our select guests. With a minimal charge, you can join our Moana Membership Club. With your membership, you can elevate your typical Maui vacation to one of relaxation and luxury. Your room will be upgraded to one of our Deluxe Ocean Front room. These rooms are usually sold for $730 a night and once you arrive, you’ll understand why. These rooms sit high atop Black Rock boasting breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean, neighboring islands, and spectacular sunsets! From November through April, you will be able to see the humpback whales blowing and breaching right from your private lanai. Awaiting you is a spacious bathroom, sleeping area, upgraded amenities and an ocean front lanai for you to enjoy during your stay. Included with your room will also be the following amenities:

Daily $25 plus tax resort charge
35% off all meals at all outlets (does not include alcohol)
Complimentary drinks nightly at Lagoon Bar during Cliff Dive
Breakfast for two daily at Keka’a Terrace
Guaranteed 1PM checkin
Guaranteed 1pm late checkout
Guaranteed bedding request
Guaranteed high floor premium room location
20% Discount at Spa at Black Rock
Nightly turndown service

This program has limited availability, so please respond within the next five days by reply of this email to confirm your interest in the upgrade. For an additional $150 per night, spend your vacation perched atop Black Rock where you may never want to leave. Thank you again for choosing the Sheraton Maui, and we look forward to welcoming you on your visit to The Valley Isle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it looks like for an additional $150 a night it would be a guaranteed upgrade to the deluxe ocean front (had one of those last time, loved it) with the resort fee included and a few drinks and breakfast for 2. (the rest is fluff). For the dates of our stay the current price difference between garden view and deluxe oceanfront is $180/day. So not a huge difference based on that, $30/day on the room plus resort fee and some food and drink. I think I'll see what if any upgrades I can get now for just spending more points. I kind of think I'd get some kind of upgrade just being gold, all I really want is some kind of water view. Anyone else have a viewpoint?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 4:15 pm

My upgrade options just using points

Reserved a std award room for 12k/night with 5th free awhile back. Checked my upgrade options today 2 weeks prior to check in. Going up (barely) to a mountain view would be 13k, Partial ocean 14.5k, ohana suite 24k. Seems in line with current cash rate of 220 for garden 290 PV and 500 for Ohana suite.

I don't think they quoted me anything for deluxe oceanfront. It may be that my need for 2 beds (2adults/ 2 kids) made that option unavailable. That bed option doesn't show up on the web site today. So based on all that along with the uncertainty of an upgrade as a SPG gold I went along for the Ohana suite option. I'd be bummed spending the last 5 nights of our trip without a view of the water, although I've seen here that some golds have been fortunate enough to get upgraded to that room for free.

In any case I find it easier to come by points than $ and time off so thats my choice. Aloha!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by badpelican
Reserved a std award room for 12k/night with 5th free awhile back. Checked my upgrade options today 2 weeks prior to check in. Going up (barely) to a mountain view would be 13k, Partial ocean 14.5k, ohana suite 24k. Seems in line with current cash rate of 220 for garden 290 PV and 500 for Ohana suite.
You can always negotiate when you arrive (at least at Westin). I think we paid 3500 points to go from crappo parking lot "mtn view" to deluxe ocean view at Westin. $ option was actually far higher than what you quoted (@ $200 per night to upgrade IIRC!) Of course you then risk a sell-out situation like we encountered where we could not upgrade until the following day.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
You can always negotiate when you arrive (at least at Westin). I think we paid 3500 points to go from crappo parking lot "mtn view" to deluxe ocean view at Westin. $ option was actually far higher than what you quoted (@ $200 per night to upgrade IIRC!) Of course you then risk a sell-out situation like we encountered where we could not upgrade until the following day.
3500 points per night? I've only been offered cash upgrades before. I'll have to ask about a points option next time. Why isn't there an option to view and purchase available upgrade options on the SPG site?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:28 pm

I wasn't planning on staying at the Sheraton Maui as I was focused on the Westin Maui mainly for the pool area for my 2 young boys. After planning a drive to Hana and staying over for 1 night, I thought it would be a good idea to stay the first night into Maui at the Sheraton Maui before heading to Hana. After Hana, 2 nights would be spent at the Westin Maui and lastly 5 nights at the Westin Villas as most FTers recommended I stay at the villas since I was traveling as a family.

My one night at the Sheraton was extremely enjoyable. I was upgraded to a "family suite" which was one floor beneath the lobby with a large balcony and ocean view. Best of all, it was luau night so I had a view directly of the show. For the short evening (arrival 5 pm), we were able to enjoy the pool, the beach watching the cliff diving ceremony and watch the luau show...all in a spacious suite. The suite had 2 double beds but also a queen size murphy bed. Never seen this before.

I've had excellent stays at the Westin Maui and Westin Villas so it would be tough decision which ones to choose but I am thankful that the folks at the Sheraton upgraded me as well as kept me close to the lobby for the short stay so I could come and go easily during my one night.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:42 pm

Anyone have a recent trip report at the Sheraton? I'm heading out for a week stay early next month and was wondering what they were charging (points or cash) for room upgrades.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UMP, SPG
Ohana Suite at Sheraton Maui

Wondering if anyone has stayed in an Ohana Suite and could answer a few questions...Does the room feel large enough for 5 people? I know there are 2 double beds in the bedroom and a pull out queen murphy in the LR. Would Mr. T and I be comfortable on the murphy bed with our 2 teens and 8 year old in the doubles in the BR? I do not like sleeping a a double...Also, how is the view...we were hoping to see whales from our lanai. It's classified as OV. I'd really like to be on black rock, but there aren't ohana suites there and 2 OF rooms are beyond our budget for 8 nights. Lastly, are the suites "nicer" than regular rooms as far as furnishings/baths go? I've read in various forums that the rooms at the Sheraton are not that nice. Any opinions would be most appreciated. It's tough traveling with five if you want to stay in a hotel rather than a condo. as all the hotels require 2 rooms...
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by turtlegirl
Wondering if anyone has stayed in an Ohana Suite and could answer a few questions...Does the room feel large enough for 5 people? I know there are 2 double beds in the bedroom and a pull out queen murphy in the LR. Would Mr. T and I be comfortable on the murphy bed with our 2 teens and 8 year old in the doubles in the BR? I do not like sleeping a a double...Also, how is the view...we were hoping to see whales from our lanai. It's classified as OV. I'd really like to be on black rock, but there aren't ohana suites there and 2 OF rooms are beyond our budget for 8 nights. Lastly, are the suites "nicer" than regular rooms as far as furnishings/baths go? I've read in various forums that the rooms at the Sheraton are not that nice. Any opinions would be most appreciated. It's tough traveling with five if you want to stay in a hotel rather than a condo. as all the hotels require 2 rooms...
have you seen the photo for this room yet from their website? it might be good in planning your expectations as far as view, interior designs, etc. goes.

Pic:
http://delivery.vrxstudios.com/50136...d_type=Content

or the Virtual tour:
http://delivery.vrxstudios.com/50085...r=1&sizedFrame
Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:01 pm

Mrs. ChicagoDubs and I stayed here in early January 2008 and were upgraded to one of these suites. They were very nice, but it might be a little cramped for 5. The dual TV situation will be good and the doors between the two rooms close off for privacy. Really though, how much time are you going to spend in the room? If your using it mostly for sleeping and family time at nights you should be good.

We couldn't see they whales from our room because even though we had a view of the water we were set pretty far back on the property. We could see whales from the beach though and pretty good snorkeling is right there too.

It seems there were condos right next door to the property. I think they were in between the Sheraton and the Westin.

Have a good trip! We had a wonderful time and next time are going to spend all our time here rather than splitting between Maui and Honolulu.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 4:22 pm

My family of 2 stayed in an Ohana Suite last August. Me and the Mrs. were fine on the pull down bed, my 2 girls were fine on the doubles. I would guess your answer depends on how well the two kids stuck sharing a bed get along. Our suite was ground floor, could see the ocean OK I guess, but being set back on the property with the luau area in front of us I wouldn't consider it ideal for that purpose. Of course if you get one on the second level your view would be better. Binonculars would help!

We stayed in a deluxe oceanfront room 2 year previous to that. I would say that room was a little more updated/upscale than the Ohana suite but I still thought the suite was nice. Easy access to the pool without too much noise. Large grassy area in front of the lanai made it good for relaxing with a beverage in late afternoon.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:22 pm

Any idea what current offer is to attend a SVO presentation?

Any idea what the current offer is to attend a SVO timeshare presentation, for guests at the Sheraton Maui? (not guests on a SVO-subsidized package)

I remember way back several years ago it was as much as 10k spg points or a resort credit over $100, but I'm guessing its changed. I'm especially interested now, particularly for SPG points.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by CheapTraveller
Any idea what the current offer is to attend a SVO timeshare presentation, for guests at the Sheraton Maui? (not guests on a SVO-subsidized package)

I remember way back several years ago it was as much as 10k spg points or a resort credit over $100, but I'm guessing its changed. I'm especially interested now, particularly for SPG points.
I'm at the Sheraton Maui now, I can try and find out. Last year at the Sheraton Kauai I got a $150 resort credit which they doubled to $300 for a room upgrade credit.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:24 pm

When I took the SVO presentation in August I don't recall being offered a resort credit, we did get points. Only 4500 however. A few boxes of chocolates were also procured and a coffee table book about Kauai. (we had originally agreed to purchase but we rescinded during the 10 day cancellation period).
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL GM, UA EP

I was at the Sheraton last month and the current offer was 7500K points which posted quite promptly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.