Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, AM Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by plastic_canuck
With new choice of breakfast as the platinum amenity, what sort of breakfast are they offering here? Has any platinum taken advantage of this? I hear the local Westin offers a decent continental breakfast w/ optional $10 upgrade to full buffet breakfast. Thanks in advance.
Hi all, just checking in again on this one? Any feedback would be appreciated as I'm thinking of bringing my family here and this would certainly be a wonderful benefit if we could take advantage of it. Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Hello Everyone-

We'll be here mid-April and wanted some input on 1.) how the hotel is handling "resort fees" for Platinums 2.) Does the hotel have an SPG Lounge (like most Sheratons) 3.) We'll be a couple there for our anniversary and like some input on which building with Ocean Front suite is best (that is if we get upgraded)...

Thanks so much for the feedback!
Old Apr 28, 2012, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by plastic_canuck
Hi all, just checking in again on this one? Any feedback would be appreciated as I'm thinking of bringing my family here and this would certainly be a wonderful benefit if we could take advantage of it. Thanks!

The only SPG Platinum benefits you get here are "free valet" and increased internet speed over the free one included with resort charge.

You can pick a free continental breakfast option over the points option at checkin and that comes in a plate with a few muffins, slices of fruit, and coffee/juice (NOT all you can eat) - it's good for a family benefit, so you get a quick and healthy bite before your day gets started. -There is a $10 pp option to upgrade to breakfast buffet which includes hot and cold items. The buffet typically costs $25 pp for regular guests FYI

Building #4 higher floors seems best as it faces out directly to the black rock but it is somewhat far to walk here from lobby. Also a sunset cannot be seen from this building as the black rock covers any view (something to consider if wanting to stay on that side).

Chairs, umbrellas, and cabanas for beach can be rented for a fee.

Last call for alcohol was at 9:30p while we were there at the bars in hotel (they close early)

Hotel is about 5 min drive from local Safeway and markets and has shuttle taking guests to nearby destinations. Water and snacks should be bought on way to hotel as everything on the resort is premium priced,etc

--Hope this helps future guests, any specific questions..feel free to PM me
Old Apr 28, 2012, 3:19 pm

Arrow

Originally Posted by vg247
Hello Everyone-

We'll be here mid-April and wanted some input on 1.) how the hotel is handling "resort fees" for Platinums 2.) Does the hotel have an SPG Lounge (like most Sheratons) 3.) We'll be a couple there for our anniversary and like some input on which building with Ocean Front suite is best (that is if we get upgraded)...

Thanks so much for the feedback!
answers to 1.) NO substitute amenity for resort fee here, all you get is Free Valet and "higher speed internet" 2.) no SPG lounge 3.) had an ocean view room (which had the view but smaller in size)
Old Apr 28, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vg247
Last call for alcohol was at 9:30p while we were there at the bars in hotel (they close early)

Hotel is about 5 min drive from local Safeway and markets and has shuttle taking guests to nearby destinations. Water and snacks should be bought on way to hotel as everything on the resort is premium priced,etc
Another alternative is to go the Whaler's Village and the ABC store - Safeway doesn't get you much more since you can't cook in your room. The ABC store is next to the Westin about a 5-10 minute walk from the Sheraton and well stocked with decent prices (at least for Maui). I prefer the Sheraton and if you want later hotel bar options - the Westin bars stay open later.
Old May 15, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
We just finished our stay here. We got an Oceanfront room in building 4 like we wanted. Our room was 4511, the second-to-last room in the hallway. Next door to us in 4512 and upstairs in 4611 were suites which we asked to upgrade into but were occupied during our stay. We definitely enjoyed our view of the ocean, pool, and Black Rock from our Building 4 view more than we would've enjoyed the serene ocean view from Building 6 so this room was a good choice for us. My husband took advantage of the rotating happy hours at the hotel - the timings were something like 10:30 - 12 at Black Rock bar, 3:30 - 5:30 at Mai Tai bar, and 8:30 to 10 at Sheraton Link. We had dinner one night at Teppanyaki Dan where everything is cooked in garlic butter until I asked the chef to stop putting heaps of it on our food. We did the Old Lahaina Luau the following night. We took the hotel shuttle to the luau and back. I hadn't expected there to be a shuttle and since it was so convenient, we didn't end up taking our rental car out at all during our short 2 night stay at this hotel. Our friends who joined us at the luau told us parking was a really tight squeeze there so the shuttle worked out to be the better option for this anyways.

I did go into the ocean near Black Rock here. I was cursing myself for not investing in some swimming shoes as the ground is not all sand here. My husband jumped off Black Rock a few times.

We did use our rental car to visit our friends for brunch before checking into the Sheraton. They were staying at The Four Seasons in Wailea and we ate at their buffet. If the Four Seasons is the swimsuit model, then Sheraton is the frumpy sister. There was really nothing wrong with our stay at Sheraton, but having seen the Four Seasons, my husband just couldn't get that swim up pool bar out of his head. When we return to Maui, we'll likely check out other hotels before staying with SPG again.

Last edited by sent; May 15, 2012 at 10:04 am
Old May 16, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: Starwood Gold

Can't beat the four seasons but the price is WAY up there. Many Hollywood stars stay there.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
@Sheraton Maui now. Upgraded to Jr.Suite, but the place is dumpy. Wish we had booked the Four Seasons. The whole place is trashy is and disappointing.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Care to be more specific on what was wrong??

I will give you that it is not a 5 star hotel, and certain not the four seasons, but calling it a dump is a bit extreme.

I found the furnishings in my room to be a bit on the basic side, but it was nice and in good shape.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
@Sheraton Maui now. Upgraded to Jr.Suite, but the place is dumpy. Wish we had booked the Four Seasons. The whole place is trashy is and disappointing.
200 Yards down the beach is the Westin which is an outstanding property. I prefer the Westin over the Four Seasons.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by doctor15
Care to be more specific on what was wrong??

I will give you that it is not a 5 star hotel, and certain not the four seasons, but calling it a dump is a bit extreme.

I found the furnishings in my room to be a bit on the basic side, but it was nice and in good shape.
Literal garbage.. trash. Not being picked up, have see the same tin can wedged in between some rails for 3 days. Dirty grounds, slow service, and most of all trashy clientele. Very Blue collar.

Perhaps not even 4 star. I stay at a lot of Mandarin Oriental and Four Season hotels. This is nowhere close, and the Westin up the road is even crappier from the visit we had there.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:39 am

.... and most of all trashy clientele. Very Blue collar.

Perhaps not even 4 star. I stay at a lot of Mandarin Oriental and Four Season hotels. This is nowhere close, and the Westin up the road is even crappier from the visit we had there.
I don't think "blue collar" is trashy at all. My dad was a construction worker - and although he never stayed at a 4 seasons (or any other fancy hotel) he was pretty decent.

I have recently booked a trip to Maui - including 3 nights at the Westin and 3 nights at the Sheraton. I had been considering the 4 seasons but ultimately decided that it might feel a little too fancy - I'm not the type of person who gets to stay in luxury resorts, and I was concerned about feeling out of place (and also SPG platinum concierge led me to fantastic rate!) - and this comment indicates that maybe my concern was valid after all.

I'll be there in September and I'll post a trip report afterward. The Sheraton vs Westin debate is interesting and I'm eager to decide for myself which is better.

Tony
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Blue collar, perhaps was the wrong choice of words. Think more Jerry Springer, 'my aunty lives with us cause her husband beat his baby and is now in prison..' (true story from our pool neighbours). It was all very low rent.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:57 pm

Blue collar, perhaps was the wrong choice of words. Think more Jerry Springer, 'my aunty lives with us cause her husband beat his baby and is now in prison..' (true story from our pool neighbours). It was all very low rent.
Ok, that's a bit clearer, and I can see why that would be unpleasant. Hope I don't run into that. I'm not always great about trip reports, but I will try to be better this time.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Literal garbage.. trash. Not being picked up, have see the same tin can wedged in between some rails for 3 days. Dirty grounds, slow service, and most of all trashy clientele. Very Blue collar.

I don't know what type of crowd visits in July but we didn't see any of this last time I visited. Your description sounds closer to what we encountered at the Sheraton Poipu on Kauai. Ditto for the Westin which was mostly families.

I don't doubt that the FS has a more moneyed crowd given the room rates, and no doubt plenty of DYKWIA types that I find most annoying. Recently stayed at another FS resort and I can't say the rooms were any better than the Sheraton Maui. And the pool staff was indifferent at best. Stayed at another FS city property last year where the pool staff was awesome. As I noted previously, FS Maui has very mixed reviews on TA - nobody guaranteed a better experience there though you are guaranteed to pay more and can't earn/use points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.