Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Jay, Autograph Collection, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Jay, Autograph Collection, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
I was reluctant to stay here due to the large number of bad reviews in this thread, but we decided at the last minute to go to San Francisco for 2 nights for our anniversary. Got a suite on C&P for about 30,000 points and $250. The stay exceeded our expectations.

We checked in about 12:30 on a Saturday and expected to be told our room wasn't ready, but the FDC said they had upgraded us to a suite on the top floor with a great view of the Bay Bridge and when we said we'd take the platinum breakfast benefit, she gave us vouchers for the full breakfast "since you're celebrating". The suite was very nice, recently renovated, extremely spacious and a mini fridge the bellman told us we could empty and fill with our own stuff; no motion sensors.

The service in the restaurant was incredibly slow on Sunday morning. They appeared to be short 1 waiter. The quality and quantity of the breakfast was excellent, and the waitstaff on Monday morning was great.

Checkout Monday was noon. We asked for a late checkout and were granted our request immediately.

I would stay here again. We liked the fact that it was off Market Street; much quieter at night and still walking distance from everything we wanted to see and do.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SJChick
We asked for a late checkout and were granted our request immediately.
Hint: you're a Platinum, so since this is neither a resort nor a convention center hotel, it's not a request, it's a guaranteed benefit. When I need it, I just tell them I'll be using my late checkout.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Recent Plat Experience

I haven't stayed here in over 8yrs, and after remembering several Plats have preferred this property in SF we chose to stay here one-night on Thanksgiving weekend -- and scored a C&P stay for 6,000 SPG pts + $110.

So... maybe I was expecting too much, but I personally won't go out of my way to stay here again.

In the morning before check-in, the SPG app showed that our room was a Studio Suite. When we checked in, around 3pm the front desk said that they were sold out and no suites were available so they upgraded us to a Superior room on the 23rd floor. (I believe it's an SPG floor...23 out of 24 floors.)

2 bottles of water in the room, everything was clean, internet was fine, no coffee in room - but they do have Illy coffee service complimentary in the mornings 6am to 10am, I believe.

It's always nice when you do get upgraded to a suite, and I completely understand when they are sold out but a little Platinum recognition would have gone a long way. I think every other SPG property I stay at, the mgr writes a personal hand-written thank you note (delivered to the room at some point during out stay). There was no note here; which usually makes up if the front desk is cold (as in the case here).

When we confirmed our late check-out as Platinum the next day - they said the latest they could do was a 2pm. I said "Ummm...even for Platinums? How about 2:30?". And they agreed to that.

Room was nice..bed was comfortable. I shoulda just booked the SR instead.

Oh, and I saw a sign for hotel parking - overnight rates at $70/night. Eeks!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: LH FTL, UA 1K MM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Mixed Experience

Was staying there 6 nights for a conference in San Francisco.

Positive:
- cleared into a "Luxury Suite" 3 days before arrival using SNA
- Balcony overlooking Bay & City

Negative:
- dated interior of the room
- inconsistent housekeeping (found dirty underwear in a drawer, no turndown service, towels exchanged just randomly, amenities refilled inconsistently etc...)
- miserable continental breakfast option as arrival gift
- workers protesting almost every morning with Megaphones waking up guests

Absolutely no attempt from the management to make things right. Total ignorance of my requests to the front desk.

Would stay there only againif significantly cheaper than alternative options.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tmeyer
miserable continental breakfast option as arrival gift
Then you'll probably be disappointed in all Starwood properties. The LM has one of the best continental breakfasts I've experienced in the Starwood system, and they'll often give you the full breakfast buffet for no charge.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
It must be remembered that this hotel was built in 1989 as a Park Hyatt and was outfitted with higher than normal quality furishings.

In 2005, a Japanese equity firm bought the hotel. Hyatt decided not to continue to manage the property - it is possible that they knew that the rooms would need investment to keep them at Park standards.

That same year, Starwood was starting to expand LeMeridien in the US, so, voila! 25 years is a long time, but not unheard of, before a hotel receives a major re-do.

So "dated" needs to be considered in context.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Then you'll probably be disappointed in all Starwood properties. The LM has one of the best continental breakfasts I've experienced in the Starwood system, and they'll often give you the full breakfast buffet for no charge.
They offered only the minimum Items listed on the card to be served on the table. On some days they offered the continental section of the buffet. Full buffet was never offered. I am judging here with a European background - that is probably one of the reasons why expected more from the LM Brand.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Originally Posted by tmeyer
- workers protesting almost every morning with Megaphones waking up guests
Can you elaborate on this? Is it hotel workers and is their work action impacting service in their absence? Hassling guests coming and going?

I have a stay upcoming this weekend and this is concerning me now.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Originally Posted by andreirublev
Can you elaborate on this? Is it hotel workers and is their work action impacting service in their absence? Hassling guests coming and going?

First of all, I am not sure it is the hotel workers or "paid" protestors. This has been going on for years, and is obnoxious. I have never experienced a service lapse due to the organized protests and I have never heard an employee complain after numerous visits. It is more the noise issue, and you should express your concern and ask for a room facing the south as most of the protesting is on the north side where the valet parking is located.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by andreirublev

Fully agree with sonomawine: no service limitations, noise from 6AM, approached by protesters when leaving the Hotel twice, but in a friendly way
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:38 am
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
Anyone stay recently (September 2016)? Are the protests still going on? Weekends?

Have a stay from Sat to Mon coming up and was wondering.

Thanks
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Originally Posted by rxziebel
Anyone stay recently (September 2016)? Are the protests still going on? Weekends?

Have a stay from Sat to Mon coming up and was wondering.

Thanks
Stayed there a few weeks ago and no protests. I have an office in the area and frequently walk by it during the weekday, and have not noticed any protestors.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:29 pm
Original Member

Thanks! Appreciate the info.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:13 pm
Original Member

Just to update - there ARE protesters still. Was woken Monday 10/10/16 at 7AM and again at 7:30AM with the bullhorns and chants.

Sigh... otherwise it was a fine weekend stay.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The new studio suites are really nice. They finally got rid of the big monstrosity in the middle of the room where the TV used to be back when it was a Park Hyatt. A lot more space now. I always prefer studio suites over the luxury suites. Don't know it if the feng shui or what with the oddly shaped luxury suites but I just never liked them all that much.

The protestors apparently don't want to actually have a vote as if the employees vote them down, they would be barred from the property. So it seems to be more of a publicity stunt than anything at this point. They must have taken the day off today due to the rain.
Attached Images    

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.