Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Great Wall Sheraton, Beijing, China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skywalkerLAX
** Hotel will leave the Starwood / Marriott chain on June 30th 2017 as per information by the General Manager (June 11th 2017) **

SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

Great Wall Sheraton, Beijing, China [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 4:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Rumor has it that the Great Wall Hotel has a meeting with the wrecking ball in the not too distant future.

Last edited by moondog; Mar 2, 2012 at 4:30 am
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Rumor has it that the Great Wall Hotel has a meeting with the wrecking ball in the not too distant future.
And what a shame that would be.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
And what a shame that would be.
Indeed, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for this property as it was my first Beijing hotel. I've always been treated well there, too. I could see why it might be time for it to go, however. A lot has changed since it was built.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Yeah, it is certainly not up to the "new" Sheraton brand standard, but would be sad to see it go cause it's a great value when redeeming points.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:22 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Back here now for one night. Booked the C&P award (great value).

Got upgraded to a junior suite on the 15th floor. Was no problem to check in at 7AM. The clerk mentioned that usually they charge for this, but it was okey in my case.

This suite is much nicer than the one I had a couple of weeks ago, this have Bose and feels a little bit larger.

Tatty hotel, but great value for Beijing using C&P
Old Oct 14, 2012, 5:24 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
My Your24 request for this property was approved. Arriving a bit earlier than expected. 6:45 rather than 8. SPG iPhone app showed upgrade to executive room. Looking forward to seeing how this works out with checkout. Haven't stayed here in several years.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
My Your24 request for this property was approved. Arriving a bit earlier than expected. 6:45 rather than 8. SPG iPhone app showed upgrade to executive room. Looking forward to seeing how this works out with checkout. Haven't stayed here in several years.
Fortunately the hotel has not changed
Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
What a dump. "working girls" walking up the drive way. Filthy carpets. OLD TVs.... smells of smoke in nonsmoking rooms... HOT rooms...

And not cheap for a conference....

Wrecking ball would be being nice.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fwfdan
What a dump. "working girls" walking up the drive way. Filthy carpets. OLD TVs.... smells of smoke in nonsmoking rooms... HOT rooms...

And not cheap for a conference....

Wrecking ball would be being nice.
1) Passions closed for a brief spell around the Olympics, but it returned shortly after... some sort of PLA connection there
2) It appears that you didn't get a renovated room; they are actually kind of nice
3) I really thought that it wouldn't last through the summer; I honestly have nothing against the hotel apart from the fact that it is too much of an eyesore for anything but a complete overhaul to save it
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Any recent experience with the lounge? Evening offerings? Breakfast offerings? Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 2:05 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I was in the lounge a couple of months ago. It was ok. I rarely drink so cant comment on the beverage selection. Evening there were light snacks, nothing substantial, breakfast was nondescript but sufficient to meet my requirements.

It was my first plat stay. Was upgrade to a Junior suite. OK except for TV. Allowed to check in at 8am. Apart from the tv and the tatty carpets I was happy with it, though I slept about 25 hrs of my stay due to long travel to get there.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: ??????????
Stayed there last week for a night as a part of a PHL-PEK mileage-run. Ended up getting re-routed on BA through LHR and arrived early morning instead of late evening as originally planned (and I was going to stay at the Hilton PEK)

Took the airport express and subway to Agricultural Exhibition Centre exit ... walked about 1/3 mile to the hotel.

I arrived around 730am IIRC and checked-in without issue. I was told I was upgraded to a suite but it wasn't ready so I happily took a king non-smoking.

Asked about eating breakfast as I was checking out very early the following morning and would miss the buffet. Front desk made a call and I was all set. The spread is east/west plenty of options including an omelet station.

The property definitely isn't new but is in good shape. The room was clean and had all traditional amenities plus a bunch of tea, an electric hot water kettle, and coffee with a french press. 5 free bottles of water as well.

Evening hor d'oeuvres were great. free drinks/snacks on the 17th floor; I made a meal out of it.

The front desk dropped off a fruit plate and welcome note (with my name / room number scratch out from my upgraded suite to the regular room I was in). They also stopped by with a foam pillow as is in my profile (first time ever at any spg property)

At a category 2 (3k weekend / 4k weekday rate) this property IS A STEAL ... yes it isn’t new / fancy, but it is clean, well kept and has fantastic service

Internet was so so, but I used a VPN service which actually seemed to speed things up (CactusVPN.com)
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Thanks hdawg for the balanced review. ^

So you got a special breakfast because you were checking out early?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by kevino
Thanks hdawg for the balanced review. ^

So you got a special breakfast because you were checking out early?
Not special, just got them to move my breakfast from the day after arrival to the day of arrival. Given I was staying just the one night and left the hotel before breakfast would open on my day of departure they were flexible enough to do that.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by hdawg
Not special, just got them to move my breakfast from the day after arrival to the day of arrival. Given I was staying just the one night and left the hotel before breakfast would open on my day of departure they were flexible enough to do that.
It sounds like you had breakfast in the restaurant, rather than the lounge?

I've only had it in the lounge, not knowing that I had a choice. There's a choice?

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.