Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel (was Sheraton) Bulgaria [Master Thread]

Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel (was Sheraton) Bulgaria [Master Thread]

Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:28 pm

I stayed two nights at this hotel during the last weekend November. When I booked, I immediately emailed the Concierge asking that the hotel car meet me at the airport. I also said I would confirm, and as the time of arrival got closer, I emailed the hotel on Friday, two days before my arrival reconfirming my prepaid two night stay and pickup at the airport. When I arrived at the modern Sofia airport on another Malev arrival and was the first through customs, I could not locate the Hotel driver. I looked inside, outside, and finally went to information looking for both the driver and an ATM. The ATM was located directly across the hall from the info desk, but during the 20 minutes I looked for the hotel car, I could not find it. The info desk referred me to the cab stand and I took a small taxi directly to the hotel. Upon describing my plight at the airport, the hotel desk agent called the Concierge at home, and found that he did not read his Friday emails, and did not work on Saturday or Sunday, so my confirmation email went unnoticed. Many apologies from the hotel. I was upgraded to a a nonsmoking room on the 5th floor (527) which was a Junior suite. On the hotel room chart on the back of the door, it appeared there were larger rooms and suites available, but I was unable to snag one despite my assumption that the hotel was at best, 50% full.

The room was hot and stuffy, despite the temperature outside dipping at night to below freezing, making sleeping for me difficult as I like my sleeping room cold. The lounge on the second floor has a continental breakfast that is laid out in advance of the room opening. Three pitchers of juice, an upscale coffee machine, a number of pasteries and some hot eggs etc were available for breakfast,but the person manning the room was a waitress who would venture in and out every 30-45 minutes to check on the food.

The hotel is a classic communist hotel built in the prime years of Russian rule in Bulgaria. The room was outfitted in classic communist furniture and bedding despite Fretta sheets. I chose the 500 point ammenty so I did nto receive wine or food that others have received. The hotel has a very central location, and in my view is the best located of all the hotels in Sofia.

Without question I would stay at this property again, only because it is the only SPG property in the town.

Sofia is a lovely town, being the former site of outposts by Romans, Turks, Russians, and currently a free society. The landscape reflects the previous rulers, as digging down into the earth, one will come upon civilizations from each of these societies that have ruled this town. The principal tourist destinations include churches, mosques, and temples from almost 2000 years, and lots of communist buildings from the 1950s. A must do activity is to take the Free Sofia tour that lasts 2.5 hours and leaves at 11 AM and 6 PM from the Hall of Justice up the street from the hotel.

Another point of interest is that the hotel was the least luxurious Luxury property I had stayed in, probably as it was Sheraton. Overall, a fun city and I stayed at the best hotel in town.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
Another point of interest is that the hotel was the least luxurious Luxury property I had stayed in, probably as it was Sheraton. Overall, a fun city and I stayed at the best hotel in town.
You say that...
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:24 am

Location: New Berlin, WI USA - DL Platinum Elite - Marriott Platinum Premier
Sofia - Lounge vs. Executive Lounge?

Hello all,

I'm staying in Sofia in November and comparing rates. I haven't seen any updates on this particular hotel since 2011, but hoping someone might have some insight and opinions. Some rooms claim to be renovated...and others not. Is it possible if I choose a room that doesn't specifically say it's renovated that I could be in for an uncomfortable surprise. The renovated rooms (queen, at least) also have lounge access and are 30Euro higher...

I know they no longer have a shuttle...anyone know the cost of a cab ride to the airport as opposed to the hotel car service?

Also, looking at rates there are rooms that have Lounge Access and some that have Executive Lounge access. I'm relatively new to SPG having only stayed a few times since transitioning from a decade of Marriott loyalty (2500 nights and 4M points)...can someone tell me if there's a difference in these lounges, or is it simply poor language on the room descriptions?

Thanks in advance,

ChazDawg
Old Oct 28, 2012, 5:28 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Just completed a rather disappointing stay at the Sheraton in Sofia. I think the large part of my disappointment stems from the fact that Sheraton labels this with their "Luxury Collection" brand, but there is no way that this is a luxury hotel.

My first disappointment was the lack of air conditioning in the room. This is one of those hotels that switches between air conditioning and heat. Despite temperatures that reached 70 degrees outside (and about 80 degrees inside my room), there was no air conditioning, and the front desk's only solution was to open the window and let fresh air (and bugs) in. To the credit of the maintenance staff that attended to my complaint, they did bring me a fan to blow the hot air around. So here I am in this 80-degree "luxury" hotel room, and the only way to keep cool is a oscillating fan? I am frequently hot, so this really put a damper on my stay.

The room itself was otherwise fine. No upgrade (I am only SPG Preferred Guest), but I did receive a nice room with balcony on the fourth floor. I didn't find the room especially spacious (perhaps due to the balcony), and I had to maneuver around the floor fan that maintenance provided me due to the lack of a/c.

The bathroom has one of those half-shower doors (not uncommon in Europe) that virtually guarantee that water will leak on the floor (and it did). There was no bar soap for the bathtub, and when I asked for one, I received one of those tiny bars of soap that were common in roadside Holiday Inns back in the '70s.

The rain shower in the bathtub was mounted too low, and I'm only 5'9. I don't know how anyone over 6 feet could use it without contorting himself underneath the flow of water. The room had a bath robe but no face cloths (also not uncommon in Europe).

The room was in okay shape, but there was poor fit and finish all over the place. Housekeeping was poor, leaving toiletries uncapped and/or empty and barely running a vacuum across the room. This is one of those hotels which requires you to place the little card on your bed to get new sheets, so if you forget, no clean sheets for you.

On the plus side, there were power ports on each side of the bed, something even more-modern hotels lack. And the Executive Lounge had food for breakfast, appetisers for dinner, and self-serve beverages (including beer!) anytime. I had selected an Executive room for not much more than a regular room. Given the hotel wanted EUR25 for breakfast, this was a bargain.

When I had booked the room, it was advertised as having free WiFi. I was concerned the hotel would try not to deliver on this promise, but they provided me with a card for free WiFi. The card cautioned that use of the in-room wired internet (or any other WiFi access point) would be chargeable.

I consider a nice hotel to be an oasis in unfamiliar surroundings, so that's why I find it worthwhile to spend a little more for a luxury hotel experience. The Sheraton Sofia didn't deliver on that in any way. It probably isn't a bad choice if you set your expectations accordingly.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I have learned to like this hotel actually, I find the Hilton to be very generic and out of the way and the Radisson to be pretty damp. Everybody in Sofia rave about the Grand Hotel, but that is fake luxury IMO, the rooms are superdark.

I agree that the Sheraton does not deserve it's Luxury Collection branding - it is an impressive building, so from the outside it could look like a LC, but it's not. It is a solid Sheraton - and platinum treatment is good IMO. I am not aware of any other LC hotel that have a bar that reminds me of a strip bar, it's called SCANDAL. Supertacky!!! The use of Russian-style security guards in the lobby is not very welcoming either.

I have also noticed that they have started to charge for internet here (not for plats of course). It used to be free for everyone earlier. They also terminated the complimentary shuttle service. Don't use their limoservice, it is total waste of money. Take a regular metered cab instead, have done this a few times now, and never had any problem. Paid 5-6 EUR each way every time, so no problems here.

They seem to change general manager every second month. I have noticed that GM's business cards no longer carry a name, hahaha.

Despite all the shortcomings I kinda like this hotel, it's a great value!! It can be had as low as 62 EUR per night, or 3000 starpoints per night.

I have another stay coming up next week, really looking forward to it.

BTW - did anyone stay in an Executive suite here? How does it compare to the Junior suite?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:55 pm

Well, answering to my own question now:

Here for 3 nights, booked on points (3000 points per night), upgraded to an executive suite without any fuzz. The executive suite is the next best room category in this hotel, only beaten by the presidential suite(s).

As usual - there was nobody at the door to help me with luggage when I arrived. Only one person working in the reception, but that guy was very nice. Informed me about the room and the amenities (even though I am familiar with this hotel).

Got to my room, must say it is a nice and airy suite. Must be 5 metres from the floor to the ceiling, nice furniture, etc. Nice bedroom as well. BUT, the bathroom is extremely small and tiny. It cant be more than 4 square metres. It is ridiculous when they have a nice suite like this and they make the bathroom so tiny!!

As last year - plats can have their breakfast in the lounge or in the restaurant - regardless of platinum amenity.

Club lounge is self service as always. I have been the only person there every time I have visited. I am wondering how many club guests this hotel have, and I am also wondering how many rooms are occupied here. I have visited a number of times, and this hotel always seem deserted. It have excisted for some time, so they must make a profit for sure....maybe it is revenue from the fabulous Scandal night club hahahaha.

Hmmm...Luxury Collection - that I dont know. Nevertheless, I like this hotel! GREAT VALUE!!!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Do the rooms have air con? I notice way back in this thread someone stated they didn't. Is this true for all rooms or just some? Would love to stay there in Sept - but don't think I'm willing to do a hotel without aircon (I need it cold when I sleep).
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Do the rooms have air con? I notice way back in this thread someone stated they didn't. Is this true for all rooms or just some? Would love to stay there in Sept - but don't think I'm willing to do a hotel without aircon (I need it cold when I sleep).
If you want air conditioning during September, I would definitely stay somewhere else.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:36 pm
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by mikew99
If you want air conditioning during September, I would definitely stay somewhere else.
Sadly, agreed. It is entirely unreliable. It's less air con, and more uncontrollable heating. I just can tear away from SPG and so keep staying there. But it's really not that lovely a property.

And be very careful if/when taking cabs!!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by PlatinumJK
Sadly, agreed. It is entirely unreliable. It's less air con, and more uncontrollable heating. I just can tear away from SPG and so keep staying there. But it's really not that lovely a property.

And be very careful if/when taking cabs!!
OK, thanks. I'll have to consider this one. Perhaps I can swing through later on (like Oct) so I won't have to worry about the AC. I'm with you - I really try to stay loyal to *wood, I'm trying to get Plat Ambassador again this year. Will need every night I can get to make it.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:47 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
OK, thanks. I'll have to consider this one. Perhaps I can swing through later on (like Oct) so I won't have to worry about the AC. I'm with you - I really try to stay loyal to *wood, I'm trying to get Plat Ambassador again this year. Will need every night I can get to make it.
Haha, I share your pain! I already have an Ambassador, so no race to 100 for me, but I'm still gunning for SPG 75... Have 46 nights so far (25 stays), so 29 to go! Saying that, I have already booked lots of travel through December, accounting for 22 nights... Just 7 more to squeeze in somewhere! Or an empty room at the Sheraton Heathrow again. LOL!
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I stayed here over the weekend. I quite liked it, but it's definitely a game of managing your expectations.

The hotel was deserted - could not have been more than 5% full. I saw two German backpackers, three British cabin crew whose airline I couldn't figure out and a handful of supremely beautiful women walking aroud bny themselves. I also saw the usual Eastern European prostitutes hanging around, so if these others were in the same game they were in a different league.

I paid 60EUR a night which has to be one of the lowest rates for any SPG property in Europe. I used a couple SNAs and got upgraded to an Executive Suite - at least 1,000 sq ft. Pretty amusing really.

The hotel itself is very dated, but in the context of Bulgaria I can forgive them for the time being. With the arrival of the Design hotel around the corner there's a lot more competition for savvy foreign visitors and given the total lack of occupancy I wonder whether the hotel has a future in its current state. The building is literally *the centre* of Sofia though, so it'll presumably live on in some form.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 6:40 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Its interesting how the same complaints show up all the time in many EU hotels esp southern and eastern europe.
AC
shower
soap/shampoo
housekeeping
wifi

Its always the same, even the Westins in Rome has these issues.
In the end do they really matter? Funny how its almost always coming from the North Americans these complaints.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by frank_10b
Its interesting how the same complaints show up all the time in many EU hotels esp southern and eastern europe.
AC
shower
soap/shampoo
housekeeping
wifi

Its always the same, even the Westins in Rome has these issues.
In the end do they really matter? Funny how its almost always coming from the North Americans these complaints.
Maybe we North Americans have come to expect more from hotels in general, but quite frankly, if a hotel can't get these basic things right -- and I consider all five of the items you mention to be fundamental to a good hotel experience -- then there's probably a lot more that's lacking.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:11 am

AC = I sleep with the windows open here to avoid warm and dry air.
shower = agree, very small.
soap/shampoo = they seem to be brand standard in LC hotels now. I have seen the same brand in Des Indes in Hague and in Hotel Elephant in Weimar recently.
housekeeping = it's ok, would do the Green Choice if possible.
wifi = it's ok.

The executive lounge is a big plus, always stocked with hot and cold drinks. Complimentary beer and wine as well. You can take your drink to the room as well

I have heard from my friends in Sofia that they have removed the Sheraton name and signs. I checked their own website, and yes - they have removed the Sheraton name entirely. But on the SPG website and on my future bookings it still says Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan - A Luxury Collection Hotel.

I just hope they will keep the executive lounge, as there are not that many LC hotels that actually have a lounge. It is always great to grab a beer or a glass of wine before going out. For me, the executive lounge, is actually an asset. Not like in US where you have to pay dollars to have a lukewarm beer in a dull club lounge, served by a dragon.

The company that operates the hotel seems to be the same one that operates the Grande Bretagne in Athens and Hotel Metropole in Belgrade All LC's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.