Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 3, 05, 8:52 am   #1
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Posts: 5,099
Comments on Sheraton Firenze and Roma

Hi

I am going to be in Roma and Florence at the end April-start of May and wanted to know what people thought about these two hotels. The Firenze hotel looks like a good deal, and hotels in Rome seem very expensive. Both are outside the city centre, but offer transportation, is this reliable. My price range is aobut $150/night, so if there are recommended alternatives, I would appreciate suggestions. I tried a search, but could not see anything on Florence.

Thanks
neuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 05, 9:44 am   #2
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: AA, HH, Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron
Hi

I am going to be in Roma and Florence at the end April-start of May and wanted to know what people thought about these two hotels. The Firenze hotel looks like a good deal, and hotels in Rome seem very expensive. Both are outside the city centre, but offer transportation, is this reliable. My price range is aobut $150/night, so if there are recommended alternatives, I would appreciate suggestions. I tried a search, but could not see anything on Florence.

Thanks
I can't help ya with Florence, as we always just "suck it up" and stay at the Excelsior. But in Rome, I would recommend the Four Points. It is brand new and is quite nice for a 4-Points. This is not your motel-6-type 4-Points. Nice lobby, restaurant, bar, etc. The room was just OK, but it was very cheap - I think I paid 2000 *points/night - compared with 14-25000 I normally pay elsewhere in Rome (Excelsior or St. Regis). Depends on the details of your trip, but if you don't mind catching a bus, then train for a half hour every day, it's not bad. We quite enjoy the adventure.

If you're more interested in saving $ than in staying at a *wood property, I would recommend one of the many nice little B&Bs. We've used www.laterooms.com on several occasions to find great, clean, well-appointed B&Bs in the middle of town for 50-60E per night. Same for Florence. 2 blocks off of St. Lorenzo square is one called Pucci I believe. Kinda loud if you get a room next to the street, as Firenza is a very pedestrian town. But otherwise, VERY nice rooms for 65E/night.

Edit: OK, never mind that idea. I just checked, and they're going for 145 right now. We musta been lucky. But anyway, keep an eye open for these. Just depends of the date of your travel.
__________________
AA 2MM EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, PC Platinum

Last edited by Jills; Apr 3, 05 at 9:48 am.
Jills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 05, 11:17 am   #3
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cardiff, Wales, UK
Posts: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron
I am going to be in Roma and Florence at the end April-start of May and wanted to know what people thought about these two hotels.
I came back last night from The Sheraton Roma.

It's a good hotel, I got a suite as a Platinum but that's unusual mid week - We only got it because we had a 7 year old who they felt would be cramped in an exec room with a rollaway.

The club lounge is very good, breakfast and snacks all day, pleasant terrace outside on the 5th floor.

20% dining discount for Plats, reasonable food.

Helpful staff.

Free shuttle to the centre of Rome every hour, 5 minute walk to the metro otherwise. 5 Euro shuttle to the airport.

I'd stay there again like a shot, particularly as the current points and cash offer is very good.

Last edited by garethmorgan; Apr 3, 05 at 11:19 am. Reason: Added detail
garethmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 05, 11:28 am   #4
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,555
The S in Florence is outside of downtown, next to the freeway A 1 and it is modern and has shuttle into town. Also it is in area where you could go to several fine suburban or country restaurants with car or taxi.
Our memory is that it is usually a lot less expensive than downtown.
I would only stay downtown if you do not have a car and wish to walk immediately from your hotel.
best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 05, 12:02 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Posts: 5,099
Thanks for the input.

I am trying to budget myself (for once) and the Westins and LC are very pricy. I think I will try a non-*wood in Florence and the SherRoma. As I am only spending 3 days in Roma, I was worried about time, but the shuttle freq sounds like it will work.
neuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 05, 2:20 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,555
May I ask about the4P in Roma: spg does not show any "brand new" there. Only 4P we found is the Roma West which is not brand new and we stayed there about 4 years ago.
Where did you find the "brand new" 4P and what is exact name and location?
Thank you for the help.

QUOTE=Jills]I can't help ya with Florence, as we always just "suck it up" and stay at the Excelsior. But in Rome, I would recommend the Four Points. It is brand new and is quite nice for a 4-Points. This is not your motel-6-type 4-Points. Nice lobby, restaurant, bar, etc. The room was just OK, but it was very cheap - I think I paid 2000 *points/night - compared with 14-25000 I normally pay elsewhere in Rome (Excelsior or St. Regis). Depends on the details of your trip, but if you don't mind catching a bus, then train for a half hour every day, it's not bad. We quite enjoy the adventure.

If you're more interested in saving $ than in staying at a *wood property, I would recommend one of the many nice little B&Bs. We've used www.laterooms.com on several occasions to find great, clean, well-appointed B&Bs in the middle of town for 50-60E per night. Same for Florence. 2 blocks off of St. Lorenzo square is one called Pucci I believe. Kinda loud if you get a room next to the street, as Firenza is a very pedestrian town. But otherwise, VERY nice rooms for 65E/night.

Edit: OK, never mind that idea. I just checked, and they're going for 145 right now. We musta been lucky. But anyway, keep an eye open for these. Just depends of the date of your travel.[/quote]
best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 07, 11:22 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: irvine, ca
Posts: 300
Sheratons in Florence, Rome

HI-
I'm trying to book a Europe holiday Paris, Florence, Rome for a family of 4 this coming July/Aug using my points. Already tried the European Holiday Award option unfortunately it seems that they don't have hotels in either Florence or Rome. IIRC, last year they had Westin Excelsior for both Florence and Rome.

My preference obviously is to book the luxury cat 6 hotels but the absence of Florence and Rome hotel options for the Europe Holiday award makes it difficult for me as I won't have enough points.

Im wondering about the cat 3 hotels in either Florence or Rome.

In Florence, has anyone here have any recommendations? I see that Sheraton Firenze is a Category 3 but it appears to be some distance from the town. Or is it? How does it compare with Westin or Grand Excelsior? I have never been to Florence and don't know with regards to convenience (transport, sightseeing, food)

In Rome, besides the Westin, Eden, and St. Regis there is the Sheraton Roma, Sheraton Golf Parco, and the Four Points. How are these 3 in terms of convenience for 2 adult tourists with 2 pre-teens in tow? I'm worried that these 3 properties are too far from the city center and don't want to spend too much time or money for transportation.

Another question- how long is the train from Florence to Rome? Can I just stay in Rome and do a day trip to Florence via train or should I plan on staying Florence for at least 1 night?

Last edited by directcj; Mar 26, 07 at 11:57 pm. Reason: added train question
directcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 07, 9:13 am   #8
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by directcj View Post
HI-
I'm trying to book a Europe holiday Paris, Florence, Rome for a family of 4 this coming July/Aug using my points. Already tried the European Holiday Award option unfortunately it seems that they don't have hotels in either Florence or Rome. IIRC, last year they had Westin Excelsior for both Florence and Rome.

My preference obviously is to book the luxury cat 6 hotels but the absence of Florence and Rome hotel options for the Europe Holiday award makes it difficult for me as I won't have enough points.

Im wondering about the cat 3 hotels in either Florence or Rome.

In Florence, has anyone here have any recommendations? I see that Sheraton Firenze is a Category 3 but it appears to be some distance from the town. Or is it? How does it compare with Westin or Grand Excelsior? I have never been to Florence and don't know with regards to convenience (transport, sightseeing, food)

In Rome, besides the Westin, Eden, and St. Regis there is the Sheraton Roma, Sheraton Golf Parco, and the Four Points. How are these 3 in terms of convenience for 2 adult tourists with 2 pre-teens in tow? I'm worried that these 3 properties are too far from the city center and don't want to spend too much time or money for transportation.

Another question- how long is the train from Florence to Rome? Can I just stay in Rome and do a day trip to Florence via train or should I plan on staying Florence for at least 1 night?

The Sheraton Roma has goten some good reviews on Flyertalk. Do a search for it and you'll see a variety of posts. Of note it's between the airport and the city so there is a shuttle running to both. To the city it's about every hour and free, but the airport is about 5 euros I think. Of note, there doesnt seem to be as many restaurants in the area of the hotel to walk so dinner amy have to be either taken in the hotel restaurant or in the city before you come back - I think that hte last shuttle back is about 1130 PM but could be mistaken.

I have no experience with the Sheraton Firenze propertie but have been to Firenze multiple times and have to tell you- it's worth the visit, and please stay for longer than a day! The Eurostar does make it doable in a day (1.5 hrs) but I love the food there so much more than ROme, and don't think that it should be shortchanged. The strenght of the euro makes life very difficult for us Americans but consider expanding your options outside of SPG (sacrilegous I know).

chris
FlyingDoctorwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 07, 11:28 am   #9
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Troy,MI,USA and Shanghai, China
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, IHG Platinum
Posts: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by directcj View Post
HI-
I'm trying to book a Europe holiday Paris, Florence, Rome for a family of 4 this coming July/Aug using my points. Already tried the European Holiday Award option unfortunately it seems that they don't have hotels in either Florence or Rome. IIRC, last year they had Westin Excelsior for both Florence and Rome.

My preference obviously is to book the luxury cat 6 hotels but the absence of Florence and Rome hotel options for the Europe Holiday award makes it difficult for me as I won't have enough points.

Im wondering about the cat 3 hotels in either Florence or Rome.

In Florence, has anyone here have any recommendations? I see that Sheraton Firenze is a Category 3 but it appears to be some distance from the town. Or is it? How does it compare with Westin or Grand Excelsior? I have never been to Florence and don't know with regards to convenience (transport, sightseeing, food)

In Rome, besides the Westin, Eden, and St. Regis there is the Sheraton Roma, Sheraton Golf Parco, and the Four Points. How are these 3 in terms of convenience for 2 adult tourists with 2 pre-teens in tow? I'm worried that these 3 properties are too far from the city center and don't want to spend too much time or money for transportation.

Another question- how long is the train from Florence to Rome? Can I just stay in Rome and do a day trip to Florence via train or should I plan on staying Florence for at least 1 night?
Are there no rooms available under the European Holiday Plan or are the hotels not included? I have booked two rooms for a 7 night stay in Rome (3 nights), Florence (2), and Venice (2) using this promotion for May of this year. I am staying at Westins in all 3 cities.

Last edited by FOOLISHRUNNER; Mar 28, 07 at 11:33 am. Reason: Add comments
FOOLISHRUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 07, 12:11 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: irvine, ca
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOOLISHRUNNER View Post
Are there no rooms available under the European Holiday Plan or are the hotels not included? I have booked two rooms for a 7 night stay in Rome (3 nights), Florence (2), and Venice (2) using this promotion for May of this year. I am staying at Westins in all 3 cities.
Rome & Florence properties are no longer in the list of properties for the European Holiday Plan, see posts 18 and on: European Holiday Award for elites: now discontinued

I do believe rooms are still available for award booking just not via the European Holiday promo
directcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 07, 12:15 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Posts: 108
forza italia

Sheraton Firenze is far outside the city, it's practical to visit The Mall but there is basically nothing around (nice landscape though, which will be lost on teenagers I expect).
Other Firenze have jumped to Cat 6. so they are not involved in the Inspirationnal Award anymore. By all means go there. They are facing each other just by the Arno (the river).
The Sheraton Roma is a good hotel in a nondescript area (basically a motorway near the airport). The shuttle is free to go to the center and back, but of course you won't have the possibility to rest during the day because the hotel is too far.
The best Cat 6 Roma hotels option is IMHO the Eden. Be prepared to spend a fortune though.

I hope this helps,
E
ericj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 07, 2:10 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: irvine, ca
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj View Post
...... shuttle is free to go to the center and back, but of course you won't have the possibility to rest during the day because the hotel is too far.
The best Cat 6 Roma hotels option is IMHO the Eden. Be prepared to spend a fortune though.

I hope this helps,
E
it helps, thx
the rest during the day is an important consideration for my family
but, so is spending a fortune...
need to find that balance somehow.
directcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 07, 8:57 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PHX
Programs: A few
Posts: 242
My wife and me were facing a similar conundrum with our belated honeymoon next month. Stay in the two Sheratons outside of the city (Florence and Rome) or pay more to stay in the city in nicer digs.

The two Westin Excelsiors win out for us (possibly Eden in Rome, last minute decision on that one). The fact is that while you can take a shuttle into the city, if your intent is to visit the city, it's not the most convenient means. Convenience wins out on that one for us. Also, reading some fairly recent reviews on TripAdvisor tended to steer me away from the Sheraton Firenze, although I have heard some good about it as well, from a friend too.

The same can be said for the Sheraton Roma, although if I were to stay at a lower-grade hotel in Rome, not central, I'd go with the Hilton Cavalieri. The rooms there are huge.

Cheers,

Adrian
AdrianVanzulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 07, 11:14 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA PLT 1.95 MM, SPG gld
Posts: 75
Rome and Florence

I would agree with Chris Wu that you really should make Florence more than a day-trip; it's one of the most incredible cities in the world. And I wouldn't stay at the Sheraton Firenze; way too far out to be able to enjoy the city's ambience.

Hotels in both places are very expensive, and the weak dollar against the Euro makes it worse. Still, you're not going to enjoy or get a sense of either place if you're staying far out. If you don't have enough *pts, or can't get awards at the SPG properties in both, I would use the pts. you do have to be at a well-located SPG property in one of them. For the other, I'd search other hotels or perhaps rent an apartment? Many properties in both cities now do 3-day minimum rentals. Or, save Rome for a later trip, and combine Florence with a less-expensive city, like Siena or Bologna?

It's hard to have a bad time anywhere in Italy, and you want a reason to go back!
SMTORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 07, 11:57 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: irvine, ca
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMTORD View Post
I would agree with Chris Wu that you really should make Florence more than a day-trip; it's one of the most incredible cities in the world. And I wouldn't stay at the Sheraton Firenze; way too far out to be able to enjoy the city's ambience.
Thx to all so far-
We are definitely going to stay in Florence more than 1 night. Based on the award flight I was just able to book
LAX-CDG
Paris, 2 nights
CDG-FLR
Florence, 3 nights
train Florence to Rome, 3 nights
fly back to LAX, FCO-AMS-LAX

Sheraton Firenze is now just a back-up, Not sure if i'll have enough points for basically 6 nights for Rome/Florence each as knowing Italy, i'll probably need 2 rooms for us 4.
directcj is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:30 am.