Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Bumping this thread because it's the most general "Paris" related thread.

I'll be in Paris in October and wanted to know if I should stay at either:
  1. Le Méridien Montparnasse
  2. Westin Paris

From other threads it seems the Westin has enough negative things about it to possibly rule out but I wasn't sure how it compared to the Le Méridien Montparnasse.

FWIW I'll be staying there solo (without my darlin S.O.) for approximately 7 nights for business (although I will get one or two weekend days in). Biggest priorities for me are nice restaurants/bars in the area, a good gym, the chance to do some sightseeing easily after coming home from work and free breakfast (if possible). Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:15 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by vivrant
Bumping this thread because it's the most general "Paris" related thread.

I'll be in Paris in October and wanted to know if I should stay at either:
  1. Le Méridien Montparnasse
  2. Westin Paris

From other threads it seems the Westin has enough negative things about it to possibly rule out but I wasn't sure how it compared to the Le Méridien Montparnasse.

FWIW I'll be staying there solo (without my darlin S.O.) for approximately 7 nights for business (although I will get one or two weekend days in). Biggest priorities for me are nice restaurants/bars in the area, a good gym, the chance to do some sightseeing easily after coming home from work and free breakfast (if possible). Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

I'd recommend the Westin Paris over the Meridien Montparnasse (MM), specially if you have status. I was upgraded to a large room with LCD TV at the Westin and got an "upgrade" to a 1970's room at the MM

I was treated very well at the Westin and average at the MM.

At the Westin, you'll be right across the street from les Tuileries, 3 minutes walk to Le Louvres, 15 minutes walk to Les Galeries Lafayette and about 45 minutes walk to the Eiffel Tower.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:34 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
You didn't mention the Prince de Galles but previous threads have indicated that they treat Platinums much, much better than the Westin does. I just got back from Paris on a points stay, yet was upgraded to a 1 BR, 2 Bath suite at the PdG. And we loved the area. You might consider it.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:15 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Diamond
I stayed at the Le Méridien Montparnasse about 2 years ago and they were doing a major renovation. Everyone was nice and they even upgraded us to a nice suite for our last few nights because of the noise from the renovation. They also gave us free breakfast for our entire stay at checkin. This was also before Le Méridien was part of Starwood. I would stay there again, but it was also the only place I stayed in, in Paris so I don't have any ability to compare to other properties.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
check out the other, longer, Westin Paris thread: myself and others have had less than the usual Starwood experiences there. And this is coming from a Plat.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 7:03 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Best Starwood Property In Paris

So, my wife and I have gotten this idea to go to Paris between Xmas and New Years. She's never been before. I have. I have forced vacation that week. She can take it off.

I have about 200k Starwood points. So, I'd like to stay at a Starwood and use points for the stay.

I'm looking for opinions as to the best Starwood property in Paris to stay at. It seems the Westin has gotten some very very bad reviews.

Thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:01 am

stc-

Lot's of reports if you do a search. I went this summer and chose the Prince de Galles due to the write-ups on this board that indicated that Platinums were much better treated at the PdG than the Westin. We were upgraded into a magnificent 1 bedroom, two bath suite overlooking the Avenue George V. We found the concierges (Jean-Pierre and Nicolas) to be wonderful. I wrote up a report that you should be able to find.

We very much liked the area the hotel was in. The Westin in more "midtown" but we could not have been happier. And the PdG is more of a "boutique" hotel that avoids the madhouse that the Westin seems to be.

Have fun!
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
stc: go for it! I did the same thing last year with my family.

As you can see from my Westin review stay away, next time I'll do PdG.

Paris is beautiful at Christmas, with a lot to see and do. Be prepared for weather similar to, but not as windy as Boston. Bring your walking shoes!

Also, if you have an early morning flight, the Sheraton CDG is very nice and convienent too.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:59 pm
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
We also tried the Westin several months ago and and won't return. After five days we switched over to the Prince de Galles and felt like we were returning home. Upgraded to the suite you mentioned. Since you have lots of Starpoints, just see if they have availability for a junior suite if a nice room is a must and see what happens from there. You will need to contact Customer Service to see if they have availability for an award stay plus using the additional points for an upgrade. Good luck.

Jean Pierre and Nicolas are wonderful as the previous poster mentioned. The whole staff is friendly. We have stayed there maybe 8 or 9 times in the last few years and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to friends and family. In fact, we have!

The Westin has some nice features, but overall we felt the the PDG treated Plats better. I much prefer the rooms at the PDG. We payed for a Junior Suite at the Westin and it was very disappointing.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It depends on how full the hotel is. If the suites are sold out, no one gets an upgrade. I'm Plat and I never got an upgrade at the PdG. But the hotel was full so I didn't expect one.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:10 pm

I actually did exactly what TNW said. They wanted 1,500 extra points per night (5th night free) for my stay to upgrade me to a Junior Suite and 12,000 per night to guarantee a full suite. Didn't want to use all those points, so I guaranteed the Junior Suite and hoped for the best. As I said, it worked out better than expected.

BTW, before I left, I wrote a handwritten note to the manager to let him know what a wonderful time we had and how grateful I was for the magnificent upgrade. I was surprised that I never heard from him. Then about 2 weeks later, I got a lovely email thanking me for the note and apologizing that he had been on vacation and that it took so long to get back to me. Classy organization to be sure!
Old Oct 16, 2006, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevens397
BTW, before I left, I wrote a handwritten note to the manager to let him know what a wonderful time we had and how grateful I was for the magnificent upgrade. I was surprised that I never heard from him. Then about 2 weeks later, I got a lovely email thanking me for the note and apologizing that he had been on vacation and that it took so long to get back to me. Classy organization to be sure!
As opposed to the Westin: when I wrote the Westin GM complaining about my being charged for an award stay + other issues, I got a terse response from his assistant. The PdG and Westin may be a mile away from each other, but seem to be worlds apart in terms of attitude and service.

Last edited by itsaboutthejourney; Oct 17, 2006 at 11:44 am Reason: mispell
Old Oct 17, 2006, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Starwood property in Paris

Prince de Galles...hands down. I have stayed at the Westin for 1 night and left and moved to The Prince de Galles. The staff was wonderful, atmosphere great and the suite, quite nice. I have stayed there 4 times since and would recommend it to anyone. It is a couple of doors from the Four Seasons and 2 Louis Vuitton stores within a block !
Old Oct 17, 2006, 4:23 pm

Yep, PdG hands down. Always had excellent service there, and one amazing upgrade to a top floor penthouse suite, after a small verbal complaint about the size of the original room.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:05 pm

Never stayed at the Westin, but PdG was excellent. Unforunately, I did not get upgraded as I was requesting a double beds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.