Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2006, 8:41 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Originally Posted by nroscoe
I think it depends on what you value and what your needs are...

Is it all about saving $ or points? Being close to the metro? Near the museums & tourist areas or typical neighborhoods? Business or pleasure? Romantic trip with wife/gf/bf or family/friends? Connecting at CDG?

In my opinion, for pure luxury and romance: PDG is great & Westin has potential to be good; for business it's the Meridien's; short trips via CDG it's the Sheraton there.
Yes, definitions of value are going to vary, but I guess that's part of the question. Obviously, if you need to be in Versailles, you need to be at the Trianon, if you want an airport hotel, stay at the Sheraton CDG, but as Paris transportation is pretty well developed, I suspect that there folks (other than I) that are wondering "is the PDG worth paying 2X+ more than Le Meridien Etole because it's that much better/Plat recognition that much more special, etc.?" All the factors you mention are clearly going to matter, and just as clearly, opinions are only that...very subjective.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 12:11 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Westin Paris = Soulless, charmless, old infrastructure, business hotel. But excellent location.

Hotel is going to go through a renovation, soon. But the management is a bit cool to guests, especially Platinums on award stays. And the fire alarm system is very wonky.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Westin Paris = Soulless, charmless, old infrastructure, business hotel. But excellent location.

Hotel is going to go through a renovation, soon. But the management is a bit cool to guests, especially Platinums on award stays. And the fire alarm system is very wonky.
Hmmm, when it was an Intercontinental, I liked it a fair amount. Not as much as the Park Hyatt, but on par with the Hyatt Madelaine. Even though it is older, some of those older rooms were quite nice, large etc. Maybe it's aged a lo0t in the last 6 years.

And the location is just outstanding, hat area is my favorite place to be in Paris. Quiet can be found nearby (Tuilleries, Place Vendome) and an ice cream cone at Berthillon on Isle St. Louis seemed like the perfect late night walking distance.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The best "value" properties are probably the Meridien locations, as you can often use priceline to bid on rooms at these properties. Of course, you are generally not guaranteed a room at any particular property, but the rates are outstanding and more than compensate for the loss of a few SPG points.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:34 pm

Starwood in Paris?

I'm a Starwood loyalist; can anyone recommend one of their Parisian properties to me? I've looked at The Westin Paris and the Hotel Prince de Galles, as well as Le Meridien Etoile, so far.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines, US Air,
Which is the best Starwood Property in Paris

I have 32,000 Starwood points and am going on a surprise anniversary trip to Paris for a week with my wife. We'll want to do all the tourists things so being central to all the tourist locations (Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Norte Dame) Actually I've never been either so if people have reccomendations of things to do and see, as well as eat! I'd appreciate any advice on where I get can get the most for my points and have a nice time
Thanks

) The Westin Paris
2) Le Méridien Montparnasse
3) Hotel Prince de Galles - Paris Champs Elysees
4) Le Méridien Etoile
5) Trianon Palace & Spa, A Westin Hotel
6) Sheraton Paris Airport Hotel & Conference Centre
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

Although you are asking about Parisian hotels in the Paris forum, they are all Starwood properties. Thus, I'm going to move this post to the Starwood forum. Each of these properties gets chewed over regularly, and you wil find folks knowledgeable with each and every one. I think you will get more responses in the new forum.

I also encourage you to search for information about each hotel; I know there is an active post on the Paris Westin at this moment.

SanDiego1K
Senior Moderator
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:54 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Starwood is poor in Paris, at least in the luxury league. If you were asking in the Starwood forum, I'd say either of the Prince de Galles or Westin is good value for the money and a good choice as high-end hotels, but over in the luxury forum they simply don't measure up. So it all depends on what you want.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:14 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by mikefaherty
I have 32,000 Starwood points and am going on a surprise anniversary trip to Paris for a week with my wife.
You realize that 32K points won't go very far? The hotels in your list vary between 10K and 16K points per night, so you have between 2 and 3 nights out of that week. The Prince de Galles stands out on the list as the best value (room rates are typically double the Westin rates, for example, yet both cost the same number of points).
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt, SPG Platinum
I stayed at the Westin Paris last month for 5 nights. I thought it was excellent. Does need a few renovations but I found the staff extremely helpful, concierge AWESOME, and location ideal (across the street from the Louvre). I used points and with Platinum status was upgraded to a suite (sitting area/den with television, bedroom, and large bathroom). The Trianon is supposed to have a great spa so that might be nice for your wife and you to experience. It's not too far from the city and it's easy to get to the train station.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:10 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Hi guys,

starwood sounds familiar to me - ah, yes, because we have a specific forum for starwood hotels...

Let's move this one over and I'm sure there will be a lot more experts on those locations in the home forum of *wood.

ralfkrippner, luxury hotels moderator
Old Jul 26, 2006, 8:55 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Welcome to FT! Here is a link that discusses the Westin in Paris.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...starwood+paris

Additionally, when I used the Search feature located at the top of the forum (blue toolbar) and entered in the keywords of Starwood Paris, I had over 24 threads returned discussing the various properties in Paris.

I hope this helps! You had mentioned the PDG in your original post and you will see that many people have stayed there (including myself) and are happy to provide information regarding this hotel. Again, if you enter Starwood Prince de Galles Paris in the keywords you will receive several links to threads surrounding that property as well.

Please let either of the moderators in this forum know if you require further assistance in some way.

ldsant
*wood Moderator
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:44 pm

Programs: American Airlines, US Air,
Thanks for the suggestion we want to be able to walk to most things as my wife gets tired quickly so it looks like the Westin Paris is the spot, unfortuantely I don't have more than the 32,000 but if it gets me one or two nights free then that will help.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:45 pm
Original Member

The Westin has a great location but that is about the only good thing about that hotel, which is greatly in need of renovation (unfortunately the last owners ran it into the ground, until it was expelled from its last hotel chain). Some of the Westin rooms are very nice; most are not. Thus opinions about the Westin run very polarized (about 80% bad and 20% good, probably reflecting the chance of which room type you have). Probably having Plat status is a minimum requirement for having a nice stay at this hotel. You can judge for yourself on the Westin Paris thread in this forum.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:48 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Merged Threads Coming

Since it appears that many of the people on this board are interested in *wood Properties in Paris, AZ Travels the World and I will pull together a "Master Thread" as we have done for some other properties. Therefore, for housekeeping purposes, I am closing this thread and it will be available later this week when we have the master thread posted.

ldsant
*wood Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.