Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]

Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]

Old Feb 7, 2002, 5:08 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
Married 2 miles:

Exit P de G front door, turn left, walk uphill about a block and a half to the Champs Elysee and either turn left and go up two or three blocks to the end to Le Drugstore for both a good, reasonably priced US style breakfast AND a view of the Arc de Triomphe OR turn right and stop in at one of several "Broche d'Or" coffee shops for something lighter, like ethereal pastry and very decent coffee. Also short money, considering the quality - coffee, juice, pastry for less than $5 in FF then, now Euros.

If you miss home, there's both a MacDonalds and a Dunkin Donuts in the same few blocks of the Champs...

Also not to be missed is the branch of Hediard, Paris' Dean and DeLuca or Balducci's clone next to the George V (so turn right upon exiting the P de G) for great snack-type items, candy and wine which you might want as an in-room alternative to another French meal.

If you want to go over the top, Les Ambassadeurs at the Hotel Crillon (Place Vendome) was our favorite high-end nibble. Dinner cost more than the tickets to Paris but was a "once in a lifetime" evening.

Try as we did, we could not find bad food in Paris...

[This message has been edited by Bostom (edited 02-07-2002).]
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:03 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Which Starwood in Paris?

My wife (a teacher) just told me that due fewer than normal days off for snow, she is getting the Friday before and the Tuesday after Memorial Day off. I'm considering blowing points for four nights in Paris.

Seems the only Starwood option in Paris is the Prince De Galles. Unfortunately, they consider it high season, so it would be 25,000 points per night and I don'
t have the time to get my free 5th night. But the rooms, with the low dollar, are very expensive - I would never pay cash for them.

So - 100,000 points for four nights at this hotel. Is it worth it? Will the experience seem worth that many points (I currently have just over 200,000). As a Starwood Platinum, any track record of how we will be received and if a suite upgrade is likely?

I would like to nail this down in the next few days, so I appreciate any and all help. Many, many thanks!

Steve
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:21 pm
Suspended

I'm SPG Plat. Hotel is good but in NO way worth 100,000 points. Upgrade experiences vary from none to small suites. The hotel may be worth cat 5 points but NOT Cat 6. I would feel pretty cheated .

Lots of reasonable priced hotels on Priceline..
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:49 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I would also agree 25,000 a night is not worth it. I stayed there for 3 nights over the summer and was annoyed it cost me 16,000 a night. Especially when compared to the 10,000 a night I had spent for the much nicer Westin Dublin.

Maybe consider a cheaper hotel for a couple of days in Paris and use the points at Trianon Palace if you intend to go to Versailles. Also if you are going out on an early flight the day of your return the Charles de Gaulle Sherraton is a good use of points as well.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Starwood Platinum, Avis President's Circle, PC Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I stayed at this hotel in June/03 and have to say that I agree with the prior posts. We were upgraded to a better room and it still left a lot to be desired. Having said that, the location cannot be beat as it very close to the Arc De Triomphe (sp??) and a few block from the Seine. Located in very nice high end neighborhood with the Four Seasons just next door.

They did provide a very nice bottle of wine upon arrival and you would get recognition of your Platinum status.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 6:19 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
ghia-

The Shearton at the airport is a spectacular idea - especially since I usually prefer early flights and my wife will be working the next day. See - that cuts 15,00 off already.

If we can pull something off with airfare, we'll do it.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS, Hyatt
For an upcoming Paris stay we got a couple of nights at the Trianon in Versailles using the nights and points promo. I think it was 60 bucks and 4,000 point per night. We also bid on Priceline for a 5 star and did not get the Prince de Galles but got the Scribe for 215 per night I think.

I won't requalify for Platinum this year. Starwood prices are up -- a lot -- and several websites make it easy to make informed Priceline bids.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 9:06 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
Priceline

We just pricelined a hotel.. got the Intercontinental LeGrand for $230 a night. Prince de Galles is one of the hotel PL pulls from in Paris.. I wouldn't waste the points. Priceline.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 9:32 pm

I agree. The PDG is not worth 100K points. Go with Priceline. There are some nice hotels to be had there for very reasonable prices.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:35 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by stevens397
ghia-

The Shearton at the airport is a spectacular idea - especially since I usually prefer early flights and my wife will be working the next day. See - that cuts 15,00 off already.

If we can pull something off with airfare, we'll do it.
I believe the Sheraton CDG is offered for the rest of the year for Cash & Points. I'd book it now and cancel later.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:27 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Which Starwood in Paris?

Yeah, there are tons of Paris threads, but having looked through as many as I could find, none of the ask this basic question: "What is the best Starwood, in terms of value, in Paris?" There are comparisons between the Prince de Galles and Westins, comparisons between the two Le Meridiens, etc., but nothing really consolidated that suggests how they all stack up in terms of value. Obviously, the consensus is that the Prince de Galles is better than the Westin which is better than the Trianon which is better than the Sheraton CDG which is better than the two Le Meridien, but then the price of hotels reflects that. An additional question is "which of the Starwoods treats Platinums well and which include louge access/breakfast, etc.?"
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:36 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Glad you posted this thread. Looking forward to the stories from FTers. I've read many bad stories posted right next to a great story on Trip Advisor about Westin Paris and PDG but don't seem to trust any of those.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I think it depends on what you value and what your needs are...

Is it all about saving $ or points? Being close to the metro? Near the museums & tourist areas or typical neighborhoods? Business or pleasure? Romantic trip with wife/gf/bf or family/friends? Connecting at CDG?

In my opinion, for pure luxury and romance: PDG is great & Westin has potential to be good; for business it's the Meridien's; short trips via CDG it's the Sheraton there.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:20 pm
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
Originally Posted by rhetor
Yeah, there are tons of Paris threads, but having looked through as many as I could find, none of the ask this basic question: "What is the best Starwood, in terms of value, in Paris?" There are comparisons between the Prince de Galles and Westins, comparisons between the two Le Meridiens, etc., but nothing really consolidated that suggests how they all stack up in terms of value. Obviously, the consensus is that the Prince de Galles is better than the Westin which is better than the Trianon which is better than the Sheraton CDG which is better than the two Le Meridien, but then the price of hotels reflects that. An additional question is "which of the Starwoods treats Platinums well and which include louge access/breakfast, etc.?"
I haven't stayed at the LeMeridiens, but I have stayed at the Prince de Galles on many occassions and just recently at the Westin Paris. I know the Westin has a lounge, but we were not offered access even though we are Platinum nor did we receive an upgrade. The Prince de Galles does not have a lounge. We have been upgraded to very nice suites on 4 or 5 occassions. Hope this info helps a bit.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Probably need to examine your criteria, for example, location, comfort/luxuriousness of room, hotel facilities, cost

my take on these (and in the order I prefer them in each category...)

Westin fantastic location, good for Louvre, Boulevard Haussemann for shopping, also on metro line 1 - prefer this location for most things over PdG.

PdG location good for sight-seeing (Champs d'Elyse, Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Louvre etc), on metro line 1 so you can easily get out to La Defense if you need to for business.

Le Meridien Etoile - good location for business, air france bus from CdG/Orly stops outside hotel. on a couple of metro lines. not great for tourism as a little bit on the outskirts of the centre.

Sheraton CdG -personally I try not to stay at airport hotels unless I am arriving late, leaving early or have a meeting there. Generally I take the Eurostar to Paris (or Thalys if coming from Brussels/Holland) so don't tend to go to CdG.

Le Meridien Montparnasse - err good if you are arriving at the station. grotty nasty location otherwise.

Comfort/Facilities

PdG - luxury is the word that sums it up, very elegant and a little understated. The only one of the hotels that it isn't sometimes a lottery about whether you get a refurbished room or not, always very nice!

Sheraton CdG - fit for purpose!

Le Meridien Etoile - functional business hotel, does what it says on the tin though avoid some of the smaller non-refurbished rooms looking inwards onto the inner courtyard.

Westin - sometimes up there with the PdG but until the refurb is complete there is always the chance of getting something quite grotty

Le Meridien Montparnasse - do they still make orange/brown swirly carpets or were they a special order?

Cost

LM Montparnasse - funnily enough it is quite easy to get a good rate at this establishment - I'd pay 100 (or less if possible)

LM Etoile - huge hotel so usually availability though can get pricey when there is a big convention on at the centre opposite. Pay 100-200

Westin - can usually get a rate in the 175-250 range

Sheraton CdG - seems to normally come up at around 200

PdG - you have to pay for the best things in life, usually seems to be 300 or more a night...

Overall I think the Westin wins :-:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.