Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:47 am

Has anyone stayed at hotel Bel Ami in saint germain des pres? they have a fairly cheap rate right now for early August, 212 EUR with breakfast, and location seems great. Thinking of doing that instead of other SPG and Marriott options (was thinking between Le Dokhans or Renaissance Republique, about the same rate or combo of rate/points), but this seems like a good deal because of where the hotel is located and it seems boutique/chic one. Not Gold or Plat so it's doesn't matter that Design Hotels only give limited recognition to SPG members.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: AS, DL
The Bel Ami is a great hotel, very well located in the St. Germain des Pres neighborhood. Very lively at night with plenty of bars and restaurants nearby. Stayed there for a week a couple months ago.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: Nomad
La Maison Champs Elysees

I stayed at the La Maison Champs Elysees for the past few nights. Since I had not seen a review on FT, I figured I would post some of my thoughts here.
  • Location is probably the best part of staying at this hotel, since it's conveniently located close to the Arc de Triomphe, and the Eiffel Tower is also in walking distance. However, overall I think the experience was pretty lackluster and disappointed in my history of staying at SPG hotels.
  • Even though our room got upgraded upon check-in, there were some really basic items (iron, moisturizer) that were not included in the room.
  • The interior decor was pretty hit and miss for me. While some of the design language was pretty modern (the entrance is also pretty impressive), there were some items that gave me the feel of how cheap the room is. The trash can was a bag, the bathroom had a black/white color scheme which for me makes it difficult to feel clean (though I did not have any experience with the bathroom explicitly not being clean).
  • The reception missed a wake up call. First time that's ever happened to me.
Overall, I think there is better value to be had in the area, and if you want to stick with SPG, the PdG is probably a much better value for the points (though I've never stayed there).
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Taking a GF for her first trip to Paris. Seems like the top choice here is the PdG. How do they treat Plats? Is it worth significantly more than the Marriott C-E?

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
As plat at PDG, we were upgraded to nice suite. There were no plat drinks. We only got continental breakfast. Overall we enjoyed PDG. The only thing we didn't like was how bad breakfast was - even the buffet that a plat has to upgrade too was underwhelming. We were actually surprised how bad it was w minimal choice. But we would stay there again
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:48 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Admittedly we were at the PDG several years ago, but we thought the upgraded breakfast while expensive was very good.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by SHLTP
As plat at PDG, we were upgraded to nice suite. There were no plat drinks. We only got continental breakfast. Overall we enjoyed PDG. The only thing we didn't like was how bad breakfast was - even the buffet that a plat has to upgrade too was underwhelming. We were actually surprised how bad it was w minimal choice. But we would stay there again
Last December we had the full breakfast each morning and were not charged any extra as a Plat. That said, it's Paris, you should be going out to a local bakery for breakfast regardless.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
Last December we had the full breakfast each morning and were not charged any extra as a Plat. That said, it's Paris, you should be going out to a local bakery for breakfast regardless.
I disagree, you don't have to have espresso and croissant for breakfast just because you're in Paris. The breakfast buffet (free for Plat) at W Opera was quite good.

I have not stayed at PdG since renovation. But I would consider PdG the best SPG hotel option in Paris.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I stayed there for three nights in May (2017), in the Makassar Suite. I found the architecture and design really cool, but the suite a bit small. Although the photography on the website is carefully angled and shot to give the appearance that it's spacious, I found the bedroom microscopic, with the bed filling nearly all of the room. The living room was rectangular and, well, let's say cozy, IMO. But let's take nothing away from the décor, -- it's both unusual and very, very nice.

I, too, was disappointed with breakfast. As PLT, I, too, had access to the continental. But the way they do it at PdG, you go to the regular breakfast buffet but are restricted from items which are not considered part of the continental breakfast. As in, "I'm sorry, sir, you cannot have that unless you want to pay additional." One nice waitress there let me take smoked salmon when no one was looking on two of the mornings. I didn't care for the way that it was executed and handled. And I agree that even the full breakfast was nothing spectacular or even out of the ordinary. That said, I am undoubtedly spoiled by the expansive breakfast buffets which are standard in SEAsia. Nevertheless, I found breakfast disappointing.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Agree - the suites were are little small (especially w little SPGLTP with us) but were so well appointed that we liked the suite overall. But definitely tight w kids.

The sweets theybhave at night were fabulous. I'm not sure if they gave because we plat, in a suite, had a few minor service issues or comes standard but they were great.

I think we both spoiled w SEA buffets. Can't wait to get back to SGS or PA.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:52 pm

Hey guys,

Heading to Paris next May and looking for suggestions as to what hotel. Will have Platinum status by the time we leave for the trip.

We've narrowed it down to these 3, staying 5 nights to get 5th night free. SPG point amounts have 5th night free factored in already:

W Paris - 16,000 SPG per night

Les Bains - 16,000 SPG per night

Westin Paris - 16,000 SPG per night

Le Dokhan's - 12,800 SPG per night

Also open to transferring SPG:Marriott if the Marriott hotels are better. Preferably one with a lounge. Are kids allowed in the lounge?

If anyone has stayed at these hotels, advice is much appreciated. We will have two infants (aged 2 and 1) with us as well. So maybe consider kidfriendliness too. Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:03 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ennsy
Hey guys,

Heading to Paris next May and looking for suggestions as to what hotel. Will have Platinum status by the time we leave for the trip.

We've narrowed it down to these 3, staying 5 nights to get 5th night free. SPG point amounts have 5th night free factored in already:

W Paris - 16,000 SPG per night

Les Bains - 16,000 SPG per night

Westin Paris - 16,000 SPG per night

Le Dokhan's - 12,800 SPG per night

Also open to transferring SPG:Marriott if the Marriott hotels are better. Preferably one with a lounge. Are kids allowed in the lounge?

If anyone has stayed at these hotels, advice is much appreciated. We will have two infants (aged 2 and 1) with us as well. So maybe consider kidfriendliness too. Thanks!
We’ve only stayed at the Westin (many times) and the PdG (just last month). They are the only two at which you’re likely to get any available Platinum upgrade, certainly to a junior suite at the Westin or to a Mosaic suite at the PdG. The other hotels are Design Hotels, which may or may not upgrade you a room category but have no obligation to do much beyond that (including breakfast).

We love both hotels. The PdG is the more luxurious and only proper luxury option between all SPG and Marriott options IMO. But the Westin is in the better location for us. We walked over twice to the Vendome while staying at the PdG last month, and it was only 20-25 min. But with kids, I’d doubt that would be wise. Pick the area that most interests you. Neither has a club or lounge.

If you want to maximize your SPG points, you could transfer and stay at the Renaissance Arc de Triomphe, Renaissance Vendome, or maybe Renaissance Le Parc Trocadero depending on which area you prefer. You may get a deal depending on the relative number of points. Not sure. But remember that Marriott Plat doesn’t go as far as SPG Plat. I’ve been treated very well by the Westin, always upgraded, so I prefer it over the Renaissance options. But the Renaissance Arc de Triomphe is supposed to be pretty nice (and definitely the nicest of the Marriott options).
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We’ve only stayed at the Westin (many times) and the PdG (just last month). They are the only two at which you’re likely to get any available Platinum upgrade, certainly to a junior suite at the Westin or to a Mosaic suite at the PdG. The other hotels are Design Hotels, which may or may not upgrade you a room category but have no obligation to do much beyond that (including breakfast).

We love both hotels. The PdG is the more luxurious and only proper luxury option between all SPG and Marriott options IMO. But the Westin is in the better location for us. We walked over twice to the Vendome while staying at the PdG last month, and it was only 20-25 min. But with kids, I’d doubt that would be wise. Pick the area that most interests you. Neither has a club or lounge.

If you want to maximize your SPG points, you could transfer and stay at the Renaissance Arc de Triomphe, Renaissance Vendome, or maybe Renaissance Le Parc Trocadero depending on which area you prefer. You may get a deal depending on the relative number of points. Not sure. But remember that Marriott Plat doesn’t go as far as SPG Plat. I’ve been treated very well by the Westin, always upgraded, so I prefer it over the Renaissance options. But the Renaissance Arc de Triomphe is supposed to be pretty nice (and definitely the nicest of the Marriott options).
Thank you for your help. I'm glad someone enjoyed the Westin. Quiet at night is fine with us.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
ż Any recent stays at Le Metropolitan , A Tribute Portfolio Hotel Paris?
Old May 1, 2018, 2:57 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on which properties to look at for more of a local/authentic feel? Will be staying in Paris in June for 3 nights and am hoping to find something that will add to the experience rather than just being another chain hotel.

I am Marriott/SPG Gold so I know I won't get much in Elite recognition, but was thinking the Design Hotels might be the way to go. I had ranked them in the following order based on what I found so far, but would appreciate anyone's expertise on how they really compare to each other. Added in the other contenders from Marriott for reference to what I was thinking.

Hotel Vernet
Le Roch
De Nell
De Berri (New Property, wildcard)
W Paris
Le Metro / Le Dokahn / Bel Ami
Ren Republique
Westin
Opera Ambassador
Ren Vendome

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.