Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by travelmom4
The Westin Vendome seems the likely choice. Do you guys think I am on the right track?
We stayed at the Westin Vendome for 3 nights with 2 adults and 2 kids, aged 2 and 4. It was great, but I'm platinum and upgraded to a suite with SNAs. The suite had two rooms. King bed in the bedroom and a sofa bed in the other. The baby got a crib. This worked really well for our family. ("Look dad, I get my own room!")

The breakfast was great, but it's also 39 euro. The neighbourhood is OK. It's nice and clean, but a bit high end. There aren't that many cheap places to eat around the hotel. The metro is 1-2 blocks away, making it easy to go places. I have lived in Paris and know my way around, so I prefer metro to taxis/Uber.

Our reservation only had 2 adults and no kids, but the Westin didn't have a problem with us bringing the little kids.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by travelmom4
The Westin Vendome seems the likely choice. Do you guys think I am on the right track?
Their Deluxe rooms (1-level upgrade from Standard) can take a roll-away. You could ask before booking if they'll upgrade you, or you could force the issue using a few thousand more points.

Have you looked into AirBnB, or VRBO/HomeAway, etc? In expensive cities I've found a 2/3 BR apt can often be a better value than using so many points, especially if they charge for rollaways and/or kids >12 y.o. Our kids seem to enjoy it more anyway.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: Club Awesome
Looking for the community's input. My first trip to Paris, Mrs. Stu has been there before and it will just be the two of us. Will do some of the touristy stuff, mainly museums, not afraid to take the subway or uber/taxi. I booked a room at Hotel Bel Ami (one of the cheapest rates for my dates), was also looking at Le Metropolitan, Le Dokhans or De Nell. Those are mostly in my price range $200-280ish a night. Any suggestions from recent stays as it appears some of these Tribute/Design hotels are new. I am plat, but not super focused on breakfast.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Originally Posted by discostu
Looking for the community's input. My first trip to Paris, Mrs. Stu has been there before and it will just be the two of us. Will do some of the touristy stuff, mainly museums, not afraid to take the subway or uber/taxi. I booked a room at Hotel Bel Ami (one of the cheapest rates for my dates), was also looking at Le Metropolitan, Le Dokhans or De Nell. Those are mostly in my price range $200-280ish a night. Any suggestions from recent stays as it appears some of these Tribute/Design hotels are new. I am plat, but not super focused on breakfast.

Thanks in advance!
We are big fans of Le Dohkans. It is in a great neighborhood, near two metro stops, and we have always had an enjoyable stay!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by discostu
looking at Le Metropolitan, Le Dokhans or De Nell ... as it appears some of these Tribute/Design hotels are new.
Le Metropolitan and Le Dokhan are both within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower and Trocadero metro stop, and is a very nice, safe, quiet neighborhood. However, it's not in the touristy parts of Paris, so beyond Trocadero, you will need to take the Metro.

Metropolitan and Dokhan both have excellent customer service, much better than say, the Le Meridien Etoile.

Metropolitan has a chic, modern style to it. Dokhan has a very old world elegance feel to it. I personally like modern style and hate old world elegance, so I had a very different reactions to them when I stayed at the two properties.

I don't know much about De Nell, sorry. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Doing a stay at Le Dokhan in a few weeks, will try to remember to take a few pics...not much on the SPG site of the interior. Have done all the "legacy" big ones, so excited to dive into the Design/Tribute offerings!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Doing a stay at Le Dokhan in a few weeks, will try to remember to take a few pics...not much on the SPG site of the interior. Have done all the "legacy" big ones, so excited to dive into the Design/Tribute offerings!
It's a great small property. A bit worn around the edges, and the elevator is creaky and temperamental. Be sure to try the champagne tasting in the oldest champagne bar in Paris! Restaurant Victor around the corner is fantastic.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Having just returned yesterday from a 2-night stay at Le Dokhan's - i can agree with the above sentiments. Friendly staff, smaller property, a bit older still charming. Small, typically Parisian elevator that holds 2 people. (Except this one uniquely resembles a vintage Louis Vuitton steam trunk.)
Platinum breakfast was in the Champagne Bar. It consisted of breads (croissants, sm baguettes, etc) pre-placed on the tables, coffee, juice, and fruits. Price is 30EUR, Hotel accidentally charged me for this; so I had them remove. For a heartier breakfast, try restaurant Carette just down the street by the Trocadero Metro stop. (The Clef's d'Or concierge here even recommended.)
Champagne bar, and specifically Mattheas who works there, was wonderful! i recommend the cheese plate and the degustation (champagne tasting).
Was fortunate to get upgraded to the Eiffel Suite - - which the view of the tower was amazing! Seagrass floors, separate WC & tub/shower room w jacuzzi spouts, small staircase leading up to suite from entry.
If you stay at Le Dokhan's, be sure to check out the original Picasso in the small hotel lobby.
Hotel wifi worked in the lobby & Champagne bar, but not in my suite.

Earlier in the week, I used points to stay at Le Roch. And Le Roch was spectacular! New boutique hotel that opened on Bastille Day (14 July). While Le Dokhan's is tres convenient to Trocadero & Eiffel, I do prefer the central location of Le Roch in the 1st arr. The staff was also top-notch at Le Roch, and went out of their way to welcome me for a birthday stay.
Hotel mgr Bastien was previously at Westin Vendome, and Clefs d'Or concierge Benjamin is fantastic!

Of all the Paris SPG properties, I've stayed at: Prince de Galles, Westin Vendome (when it was Intercontinental), Le Dokhan's, Le Roch.
And I'd have to say that Le Roch is now my new favorite. (Previously was PdG)
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
I've stayed at W twice, westin and le metropolitan once each.

I recommend NOT to stay at le metropolitan unless you were booked into a suite. Very very tiny room and not comfortable.

Other options are fine.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:09 pm

I've stayed at the Westin Vendome before (as a PLat and got no upgrade).

Now I"m lifetime Gold and going to Paris but on a budget. THinking about the Metropolitan this time since it's cheaper.

I found an even cheaper rate on kayak.com; I realize I prob won't get points if I boo it that way but will they recognize my gold status?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GaryMF
I've stayed at the Westin Vendome before (as a PLat and got no upgrade).

Now I"m lifetime Gold and going to Paris but on a budget. THinking about the Metropolitan this time since it's cheaper.

I found an even cheaper rate on kayak.com; I realize I prob won't get points if I boo it that way but will they recognize my gold status?
Kayak.com is cheaper than spg.com? Do a BRG and you get 20% off the cheaper rate. And the perks.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: DL DM
Say one had an unlimited number of SPG points. Where would be the best place for a family of 5 to stay 4 nights in paris?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
PdG!!!
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
PdG!!!
Thanks! I'm assuming that I'd need two rooms? Or if I call, would they be able to get me something that has 1 King and 2 doubles with the option of a roll away?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greycap7
Thanks! I'm assuming that I'd need two rooms? Or if I call, would they be able to get me something that has 1 King and 2 doubles with the option of a roll away?
Others can chime in, but you might be best contacting the hotel directly

I'd try and book a suite personally...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.