Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Leaving Jan 2023] The Danieli, Luxury Collection, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Leaving Jan 2023] The Danieli, Luxury Collection, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2008, 8:36 am

Danieli (VCE) advice?

Hello all,

Would welcome any comments on recent experiences at the Danieli, and thoughts on my plans for an upcoming stay (this coming July).

Our plan is to cash in some SPG points - we have a standard room reserved at a rate of 8,000 points +$150 per night. This sounds almost too good to be true - is it as good a deal as it seems?

In addition, the hotel is willing to give us a confirmed upgrade to a lagoon view room at a surcharge of 150 Euros per night ... again, this seems like good value to me, but I've never stayed at the property.

Any thoughts?

J.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Not sure the Danieli qualifies as luxury, to be honest, although the lobby has to be seen. (And seen it is, by throngs of tourists all day.) Never stayed at the Danieli but the standard room I had at the Gritti Palace a few years ago was one of the worst I have ever had anywhere.

That said, they are offering you an excellent rate. And the hotel is a genuine experience, something the like of which you are unlikely ever to stay in again. You will pay 5 x the price to get somewhere better, and nowhere is better located. For a night or so you will be fine, although I wouldn't take the risk of a bad room if it was a special occasion.

Last edited by Raffles; Feb 21, 2008 at 9:03 am
Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Not sure the Danieli qualifies as luxury, to be honest, although the lobby has to be seen. (And seen it is, by throngs of tourists all day.) Never stayed at the Danieli but the standard room I had at the Gritti Palace a few years ago was one of the worst I have ever had anywhere.

Here's a little snippit from tripadvisor, though:

We spent a few miserable nights at the Danieli while stopping through Venice. The hotel was horrible! The complaints could go on forever, needless to say this was by far the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed at! The staff was rude and unaccommodating, especially at Terrace restaurant which was extremely over priced to begin with. We were stuck in a smoking room when we requested a nonsmoking room. The receptionist claimed that it was a nonsmoking room, but there were two ashtrays in it, it stunk of smoke, and had two burns on the carpet along with numerous other stains. The room stunk, and the plumbing was horrible, our tub would back up, YUCK! The hotel is very poorly managed and disorderly. I can't believe this is a Starwood luxury hotel? The only nice thing I can say about it is the location is good, and the lobby is beautiful. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, and hope that it is taken off the list of Starwood hotels! We were in room 115, steer clear of it if possible!
Granted there's lots of negative buzz on tripadvisor but I tend to take that with a mountain of salt. In my experience most of the tripadvisor folks seem unaccustomed with luxury hotel prices and tend to book into the cheapest room they can get. What I've seen on flyertalk is folks who tend to say that if you book into the right room category and go in with the right expectations it can be a nice stay. That's why I'm trying to get a sense here of whether what I've booked is actually decent value for the quality of the property. If people think this is better suited to the Starwood thread, no offence taken if mods want to move this there ...

Thanks,
J.

Last edited by jkirk; Feb 25, 2008 at 12:32 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually modified my post above after you quoted it, having given some consideration to the small number of SPG points they wanted and how much it would cost you to stay somewhere else!
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if youre considering nonstarwood hotels, its better to post here.

MACH81, its actually a fine deal, and plenty of people in this forum have been to the property as well.

so 8K points + $370 (€250) per night for lagoon room at danieli. upgrade offer is good to know about, its not standard procedure.

you would have to book that before march 4, or cash and points is no longer an option. (because danieli is becoming cat 7)

europa and regina is becoming cat 6

most recent venice thread >
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721099

i compared a few rates/awards >
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....0&postcount=19

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 21, 2008 at 1:20 pm
Old Feb 21, 2008, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
if youre considering nonstarwood hotels, its better to post here.

MACH81, its actually a fine deal, and plenty of people in this forum have been to the property as well.

so 8K points + $370 (€250) per night for lagoon room at danieli. upgrade offer is good to know about, its not standard procedure.

you would have to book that before march 4, or cash and points is no longer an option. (because danieli is becoming cat 7)

europa and regina is becoming cat 6

most recent venice thread >
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721099

i compared a few rates/awards >
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....0&postcount=19
Many thanks - I've got the booking and the upgrade confirmed!
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by jkirk
Granted there's lots of negative buzz on tripadvisor but I tend to take that with a mountain of salt. In my experience most of the tripadvisor folks seem unaccustomed with luxury hotel prices and tend to book into the cheapest room they can get. What I've seen on flyertalk is folks who tend to say that if you book into the right room category and go in with the right expectations it can be a nice stay. That's why I'm trying to get a sense here of whether what I've booked is actually decent value for the quality of the property. If people think this is better suited to the Starwood threat, no offence taken if mods want to move this there ...

Thanks,
J.
In this instance, the TripAdvisor folks are right. Starwood's Danieli and Gritti are not in the luxury league. They are resting on the old Ciga laurels of yesteryear. The place to stay now is Il Palazzo at the Bauer, which is more like the Gritti used to be way back when.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
In this instance, the TripAdvisor folks are right. Starwood's Danieli and Gritti are not in the luxury league. They are resting on the old Ciga laurels of yesteryear. The place to stay now is Il Palazzo at the Bauer, which is more like the Gritti used to be way back when.
Right - my question wasn't, however, whether the Danieli is currently the most luxe property in town ... clearly it's not. Mine was more a question of whether the rate/upgrade combination represents good *value*.

On my dates, I'm seeing a standard room at Il Palazzo for 484 Euros, roughly double what I'm paying for a grand deluxe lagoon view at the Danieli. The cheapest view room I'm seeing is in excess of 700 Euros.

Last edited by jkirk; Feb 25, 2008 at 12:32 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:02 pm

2 or 3 years ago we spent a few nights at Il Palazzo at the Bauer at the beginning of a trip to the area. After leaving Venice for another city, we returned and spent our last night at the Danieli before heading back to the airport.

Service was better, with a much warmer front desk/concierge at Il Palazzo. (Unless we were being treated better at Il Palazzo given the longer booking via FHR in a higher category room.) Rooms, however, were comparable. The room at Il Palazzo was a bit more opulent, while the room at the Danieli was a bit fresher.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right - my question wasn't however, whether the Danieli is currently the most luxe property in town ... clearly it's not. Mine was more a question of whether the rate/upgrade combination represents good *value*.

On my dates, I'm seeing a standard room at Il Palazzo for 484 Euros, roughly double what I'm paying for a grand deluxe lagoon view at the Danieli. The cheapest view room I'm seeing is in excess of 700 Euros.
Your rate sounds like very good value actually. Congratulations! Danieli is a good hotel for VCE- while others are right, there are nicer, for your rate I would say you have done very well.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 7:12 am

Right - my question wasn't, however, whether the Danieli is currently the most luxe property in town ... clearly it's not. Mine was more a question of whether the rate/upgrade combination represents good *value*.

Not sure how a bad hotel can ever represent good value.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Venice has no truly great hotels, so you are simply paying for degrees of decency!

There are a number of upscale properties, and any of them can probably offer you 2-3 of the following: good location, good room, good view, good service, historic property ....

Danieli scores on location and historic property, with a bonus point for view if you're facing the right way.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Venice has no truly great hotels, so you are simply paying for degrees of decency!

There are a number of upscale properties, and any of them can probably offer you 2-3 of the following: good location, good room, good view, good service, historic property ....

Danieli scores on location and historic property, with a bonus point for view if you're facing the right way.
Agree about the Danieli views, especially if you get a canal-facing room/suite, but the food, service, tourist crowds in the lobby aspects cancel all that out for me. Il Palazzo does at least have good service and a really nice canal terrace restaurant, but yes, I agree that there are no 'great' hotels in Venice.
Apparently, Four Seasons looked at San Clemente Palace before it opened, but the owners wanted an Italian operator. Shame, as it would have made a superb Four Seasons! I live in hope....
Old Feb 26, 2008, 8:32 am

It would certainly make it easier to plan these trips if every hotel fell neatly into either the category of "good" or "bad" ... probably would make for dull vacations as well. I'm a big believer in shades of grey and my experience has been that actual value is rarely found at the best property in town ...
Old May 19, 2008, 5:37 pm

Luxury Coll. referred to their hotel notes the first time, but I just called again and when they seemed confused I asked them to contact the hotel. Great news! The hotel reports that the terrace restaurant just reopened 1 day ago! Thanks, Starwood Lurker

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.