Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in GREECE [Master Thread]

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in GREECE [Master Thread]

Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by thaliajen
Thank you! I've been doing research and while I DO want to go to Crete, I sold my friend on the idea by promising to go to Santorini. I just pray the Marriott deal doesn't mess all this up!
As you are going in May, nothing will have changed by then. SPG will still be SPG.

All I know for sure is that we'll pick Hotel Grand Bretegne for 1st 3 nights. It looks perfectly placed and I like it. The pics remind me a bit of the Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam.
Oh, the GB is a much, much better hotel than the Pulitzer. And yes it is very well placed.

If I can talk my friend into only 1 night in Santorini, then we can chill 2 nights at the end at Westin Astir Beach place. I think prices of flights from Athens to Santorini/Crete and back are going to be what makes or breaks the itinerary. We both want to go but have so little knowledge of the area. I know the UK and other countries so easily, but being as I've never seen Greece, the whole thing is pretty confusing. Yet, fun to figure out!
One night in Santorini seems like a terrible idea to me. All that travel getting there and then just leave the next day? If you really want to go to both Santorini and Crete, try to find a way to spend at least 5 days on each island. But that's just MHO.

Once you get to Greece it won't seem confusing. Just go with the flow.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by stimpy
One night in Santorini seems like a terrible idea to me. All that travel getting there and then just leave the next day? If you really want to go to both Santorini and Crete, try to find a way to spend at least 5 days on each island. But that's just MHO.
Agree 100% with stimpy! One night on Santorini is IMHO a waste. We did 3 nights on Santorini and then took the high speed ferry to Crete and spent 5 nights there and that was perfect for us.

All in all we did:
Flew into ATH from the US and spent 2 nights there at the GB
Flew from ATH into Santorini and spent 3 nights at the Mystique
Took high speed ferry to Crete and spent 5 nights at the Blue Palace
Flew back to ATH and spent night near airport for an early morning return flight to the US the next day
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
So, you must be back by now. Where did you end up staying and what were your impressions?
Originally Posted by thaliajen
Anything new on Greece properties? I'm headed there in May and traveling with a friend. I was thinking we'd do 2 nights in Athens to start at Grand Bretagne, then Santorini for 2 nights (at Mystique or Vedema but I'm not sure about which is better for upgrades and overall stay) possibly a night in Crete, and then back to Athens for our last night at the Westin Astir Beach place.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Thanks for asking! Both were beyond my imagination. HGB was perfection, from start to finish. I stayed on points, 12K a night with 5th night free, and received the greatest upgrade of my life, a view that was literally, out of my dreams, and the kindest staff I've ever encountered. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a living room, and as a shocking but special surprise, a gorgeous suede/leather duffle I'd admired on their FB page. There was one for each of us waiting in our suite, with our names embossed in gold on the tags. In the gift shop, they were going for $365 Euros each. We had Afternoon Tea there, and bought items in the shoppes, and of course, instagrammed and Facebooked all about the trip. But I still feel as if they lost money on us. Such kind, generous people.

Blue Palace treated us very kindly. Crete is beautiful, the bi-level Masionette Suite was worth the extra money we paid (for an UG) and I still have wonderful dreams of laying on the float, feeling the waves beneath me, feeling the sun. The spa was the best I've ever been to, and fantastic restaurants. We had our own pool, had room service breakfast out there, and a balcony above that. Great location, absolutely perfectly clear water, like glass. Our pictures are so gorgeous. I'd HIGHLY recommend both hotels. We planned SO far in advance (I'm usually a last-minute traveler) that when it finally arrived, it went too fast. I wish we'd have stayed longer, but I'll do just about anything to get back there.

I traveled with my BFF and she had her own room and bathroom at both properties. We received gifts upon gifts, and were treated like VIPs. We did have an encounter with a huge strike on Parliament due to an unpopular (to put it mildly) vote, but we were safe the whole time. The police and military lined up in front of HGB and other 2 hotels and we watched from 3 views AND CNN International, for 2 days as they peacefully protested. The final night there were a few bad apples throwing molotov cocktails and firing up tires, but we were safe. If anything, it was interesting to watch. We felt badly for the people of Greece who had been SO welcoming.

It was a dream trip, no other way to say it. And honestly, I'd go back in a second if I could. I'm praying that I can return next year. I'd love to hit a few more sights in Athens and then a few different islands. But we chose exactly what we wanted and it worked out perfectly. I've been all over Europe but never felt such love and kindness, from the hotel staff, the people of Athens, the people of Crete, etc. I can't wait to get back.

Last edited by thaliajen; Jun 6, 2016 at 12:27 am
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I was surprised to see C.N. Traveler magazine released their 2016 Reader's Choice ratings....and the King George was rated a few notches above the Grande Bretagne.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by david55
I was surprised to see C.N. Traveler magazine released their 2016 Reader's Choice ratings....and the King George was rated a few notches above the Grande Bretagne.
I spent last weekend at the King George and it was very nice. Used SNAs on a points booking. Very comfortable and, given internal 'view', quiet ( other than a bit of renovation going on in an adjacent room).
Breakfast is very nice in Tudor Hall , good spread made special by sunrise over the Acropolis.
Nice staff throughout.
Can't really compare with the GB as my last stay there was in the 70s.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Looks like some new Design options popped up recently.

Was looking at Mykonos Theoxenia as the Santa Marina is something like EUR 1,000+/night for my desired dates. Anybody stayed here before or have any thoughts?

We're going to be going to stay at the Mystique in Santorini after, so would be okay if our Mykonos hotel isn't the most amazing.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Looks like some new Design options popped up recently.

Was looking at Mykonos Theoxenia as the Santa Marina is something like EUR 1,000+/night for my desired dates. Anybody stayed here before or have any thoughts?

We're going to be going to stay at the Mystique in Santorini after, so would be okay if our Mykonos hotel isn't the most amazing.
They have been adding Design Hotels regularly these days. Athenwas in Athens is one of the most highest guest rated hotels in that city was just added a few days ago. We are staying there in April.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:36 am

Santa M. IS WONDERFUL RIGHT ON BEACH -- THEOXENIA CAN NOT TELL IF ON BEACH
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by SPLP007
THEOXENIA CAN NOT TELL IF ON BEACH
If you Google the new hotel you can find their actual website outside of the SPG system. There is a tab on that page for FAQs and if you scroll thru that to the section on "Hotel Hightlights" there are comments on the location. (I tried to cut and paste the wording but it's not allowing me to do so. Here is the link to the page but you will have to scroll to the "Hotel Hightlights" section - http://louishotels.com/mykonos-theox...303.1481202699) Basically to me the location description indicates to me that the Mykonos Theoxenia is NOT on the beach!.

We just booked our second trip to Greece for next June. As an SPG loyalist, we looked at the options on Mykonos but based on all the recommendations we got we are going with a smaller independent hotel called the Rochari. (If you want info send me a PM.)
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:40 am

I appreciate this thread surfacing. I hadn't checked Starwood Greece properties in some time and there are quite a number of options now. Gotta start making a plan now!
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by christianj
If you Google the new hotel you can find their actual website outside of the SPG system. There is a tab on that page for FAQs and if you scroll thru that to the section on "Hotel Hightlights" there are comments on the location. (I tried to cut and paste the wording but it's not allowing me to do so. Here is the link to the page but you will have to scroll to the "Hotel Hightlights" section - http://louishotels.com/mykonos-theox...303.1481202699) Basically to me the location description indicates to me that the Mykonos Theoxenia is NOT on the beach!.

We just booked our second trip to Greece for next June. As an SPG loyalist, we looked at the options on Mykonos but based on all the recommendations we got we are going with a smaller independent hotel called the Rochari. (If you want info send me a PM.)

If you google map "Mykonos Theoxenia" and use the satellite image you can see it is as they describe it.... " seaside"......but it does not look like a sand beach but typical shoreline rocks.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Anyone have any experience with the New Hotel in Athens? It is ranked as a Category 5 hotel but is much cheaper than the two Luxury Privileges Properties in the city. I was curious how it compares.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, QR Platinum
Any experience with "New Hotel" ? I'm thinking about canceling my reservation at Grande Bretagne and staying here.. the suits at New Hotel are cheaper than the basic rooms at GB
Old Mar 11, 2017, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by alhitmi
Any experience with "New Hotel" ? I'm thinking about canceling my reservation at Grande Bretagne and staying here.. the suits at New Hotel are cheaper than the basic rooms at GB
A basic room at the GB will trump a suite at the New Hotel any day. The GB is an experience that everyone should have at least once in life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.