Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in GREECE [Master Thread]

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in GREECE [Master Thread]

Old Mar 11, 2017, 4:51 pm

Any experience with "New Hotel" ? I'm thinking about canceling my reservation at Grande Bretagne and staying here.. the suits at New Hotel are cheaper than the basic rooms at GB
You cannot compare one of the most iconic Grand Hotels of Athens with the "New Hotel", altough it might be totally nice too.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:07 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I second Thomas.

The Grande Bretagne is one of those hotels that whenever I'm in the right location and roughly the right price range I will automatically stay there. Especially if you're SPG Platinum, it's just so good.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Design Hotels?

I'm a huge fan of Hotel Grand Bretagne and it's going to kill me to be in Athens and not stay there, but I'm spending too much in Santorini to make it work. I was thinking of King George as it's next door and a bit cheaper, plus I have SNAs to use. But I'm seeing the prices of the Design Hotels and wondering if anyone has info? I know it won't be as nice as the Luxury Collection but it sure would save money. I'll be there in September, so while I'm hoping the prices on HGB or HG drop a bit, I'd like to have a back up plan.

I cleaned out my points for 10 days in Rhodes and Santorini (Vedema was 80k alone!) so I'm going to have to save somewhere. I have four nights in Athens after the islands, so while it makes me sad not to return to HGB, I doubt I'll have much of a choice. I just can't find many reviews of the Design Hotels, and the ones I've read mostly state that you shouldn't expect any SPG recognition. As a Lifetime Plat, I tend to like my recognition, lol.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by thaliajen
I'm a huge fan of Hotel Grand Bretagne and it's going to kill me to be in Athens and not stay there, but I'm spending too much in Santorini to make it work. I was thinking of King George as it's next door and a bit cheaper, plus I have SNAs to use. But I'm seeing the prices of the Design Hotels and wondering if anyone has info? I know it won't be as nice as the Luxury Collection but it sure would save money. I'll be there in September, so while I'm hoping the prices on HGB or HG drop a bit, I'd like to have a back up plan.

I cleaned out my points for 10 days in Rhodes and Santorini (Vedema was 80k alone!) so I'm going to have to save somewhere. I have four nights in Athens after the islands, so while it makes me sad not to return to HGB, I doubt I'll have much of a choice. I just can't find many reviews of the Design Hotels, and the ones I've read mostly state that you shouldn't expect any SPG recognition. As a Lifetime Plat, I tend to like my recognition, lol.
I just stayed at the AthensWas. It was a very good stay. Our room #501 had a huge terrace overlooking the Acropolis. I got the room for 245E a night including an incredible breakfast on a very short lived Design Hotel flash sale.....I just published a review on TA and my chief complaint was lack of warmth from the front desk in particular one guy who was nearly always there. His indifference was enough for me to knock the rating down a notch. I love the GB but I hated not knowing what room I was going to get so I went to smaller hotels in Athens where you know.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:19 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Originally Posted by thaliajen

Well if you want status recognition you should stick with SPG properties then because we all know Design Hotels do not have to recognize your status except for the bonus points and some other F&B perks if any.... it sucks but it's better than nothing and like you said, it gives more affordable options in some cities. At least you get your points and stay credits ^

I stayed at the Fresh Hotel and there is no way you can compare it to any of the two Luxury Collections in town.... you get what you pay for
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
You need to review the promotions. I'm staying at the Bretagne on a 4th night free promo, works out to E220/night. I'm also staying at the nearby New Hotel (Design Hotel) for one night and the SPG member flex rate is E207 (I'm still working on getting a better price, but that's what I have for now). At a minor E13 difference I'd rather stay at a Luxury Collection property with full SPG recognition! Too bad I don't have a Citi Prestige card as one rebated night at the Bretagne would cover over half of the card's annual fee.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:09 am

Staying at Vedema for six nights this July....does anyone know if gold elites receive comp breakfast or is that strictly a platinum amenity?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by mrstraveler
Staying at Vedema for six nights this July....does anyone know if gold elites receive comp breakfast or is that strictly a platinum amenity?
Breakfast is a Platinum amenity at SPG so I would NOT expect to get it. You never know but I would think it was highly unlikely as a Gold.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Stayed at the King George for one night this weekend, good platinum recognition, though the suite faced the courtyard and didn't have a great view. Drinks on the rooftop can't be beat though!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by stevens397
Thanks to all.

Any feedback on Costa Navarino in the Peliponnesia? Starwood is getting ready to open two hotels there and it seems lovely.

Also, to those of you who travelled there, how did you travel to the islands? Boat or plane?

Also, surprised no one mentioned Mykonos. I've heard it is very touristy but s is Hawaii! Worth our time?

Thanks again to all my co-pilots1
Costa Navarino is a Parasise <3 From the very first moment you feel the warmth... The stuff are smiling and hospitable, they really made as feel unique!!!
This place is very luxurious and has beautiful outdoor spaces. Loved the gardens, a variety of swimming pools, waterslides and an unbelievable beach!! Our room was great, awesome decoration all around!!!
Old May 27, 2018, 5:53 pm

Can anyone recommend a tour guide book (sort of like the Hawaii revealed book) for Greece?
Old May 27, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by zagguru
Can anyone recommend a tour guide book (sort of like the Hawaii revealed book) for Greece?
DK Eyewitness Travel Guides are my favorites
Old May 27, 2018, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by zagguru
Blue Guide for history and archaeology.
Rick Steve's for good practical info on Athens. ( and somewhat the Peloponnese)
Lonely Planet or Rough Guide for off beat.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by david55
Blue Guide for history and archaeology.
Rick Steve's for good practical info on Athens. ( and somewhat the Peloponnese)
Lonely Planet or Rough Guide for off beat.
I like Rick Steve’s guides as well. He gives good advice regarding sightseeing, walking tours of city neighborhoods, local restaurants, and transportation tips. I do NOT generally use his lodging recs as I’m often staying at higher end properties and his are more budget accommodations.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Travelosopher

I like Rick Steve’s guides as well. He gives good advice regarding sightseeing, walking tours of city neighborhoods, local restaurants, and transportation tips. I do NOT generally use his lodging recs as I’m often staying at higher end properties and his are more budget accommodations.
Completely agree. Hotels he recommends ( and to some extent the restaurants) have become over run with his followers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.