Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Split, Croatia [Master Thread]

Old May 10, 2019, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Split, Croatia [Master Thread]

Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
As a local, I'd be very surprised if one got a metered taxi from the airport to the hotel for less than 55-60$.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by LPC6
Anyone been there recently that knows how much the taxi is from the airport to the hotel? They emailed me and offered a transfer for €55, which seems excessive.
We arranged a water taxi for either 90 or 100 Euro... either way, it's easily twice as cool as a taxi ride. I HIGHLY recommend doing that at least for the arrival--can always take a regular taxi for the way out.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Last time I took a taxi to the airport from Split (near the port) it was just under 250 Kuna (that's down from 280 last year). I would guess that the Le Meridien shouldn't be more than 300 Kuna by taxi from the airport. That's 40 Euro. And maybe less. Taxi prices are finally coming down a bit after being at levels that rival almost anyplace else in Europe.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
From where? You can take a ferry to Split from Italy or if you prefer you can also drive or take a bus? There are also daily flights from Venezia to Dubrovnik and they are quite reasonably priced.

September by the way is an excellent time to visit Croatia. Have a wonderful trip.
There are also daily flights to Split from Rome as well as ferries from Ancona (SNAV, Blue Line and Jadrolinija). In my opinion, September is the best time to visit Split (and most of the Dalmatian coast). Many of the tourists (families with school-aged kids) are gone but the weather is still warm (cooler nights but that's actually a blessing) and the sea is fine for swimming. Though it does seem like September is when we get the influx of retirees, especially the Brits. If you come by plane or ferry you can rent a car for a day or three to see the coast (Dubrovnik, Krka National Park and Plitvice are much easier from Split with a car as is Korcula). Hvar and Brac can be done as day trips by ferry (and then a short bus ride to good tourist spots). But all of those can also be arranged as tours.

As far as getting here by car, Split is actually a fairly long way from most Western European hubs by car (8-10 hours from Budapest, Venice, Vienna or Munich). With gas costing as much as it does plus tolls, it's often cheaper to fly if you're by yourself and even for a couple it's not that much more.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
There are also daily flights to Split from Rome as well as ferries from Ancona (SNAV, Blue Line and Jadrolinija). In my opinion, September is the best time to visit Split (and most of the Dalmatian coast). Many of the tourists (families with school-aged kids) are gone but the weather is still warm (cooler nights but that's actually a blessing) and the sea is fine for swimming. Though it does seem like September is when we get the influx of retirees, especially the Brits. If you come by plane or ferry you can rent a car for a day or three to see the coast (Dubrovnik, Krka National Park and Plitvice are much easier from Split with a car as is Korcula). Hvar and Brac can be done as day trips by ferry (and then a short bus ride to good tourist spots). But all of those can also be arranged as tours.

As far as getting here by car, Split is actually a fairly long way from most Western European hubs by car (8-10 hours from Budapest, Venice, Vienna or Munich). With gas costing as much as it does plus tolls, it's often cheaper to fly if you're by yourself and even for a couple it's not that much more.
+1

It is about 7-8 hours from Venezia depending on traffic.

We normally stop at Rijeka, KRK, detour over to Zagreb or somewhere around the area on the way down and catch up with some friends who live there.

On the way back we typically drive straight through although have stopped also around Zadar on the way or made a detour over to Rovinj. It is not that short of a drive you are correct- straight through Venezia/Split is a very long day and absolutely I would never do this coming off a long flight.

Tolls are ~35 EUR each way unless you go through Slovenia in which case you have to add the cost of a vignette if you don't already have one. For fuel (less expensive in Croatia) I usually estimate about 150-200 EUR although this will really depend a lot on what kind of car you drive and how eco or not you are driving it- around 650 km each way. The beauty is stopping along the way- if just heading for Split I would simply grab a flight.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Judging by the huge numbers of foreign license plates I've seen this week, I'd say that most Europeans prefer to drive. Most are from Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia and Slovakia, but a fair number of Brits have driven down as well as Dutch and French. And a Ferrari with Swedish plates was parked prominently in front of this hotel as well as an Estonian!

And not just in Split, but even here in Hvar.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Judging by the huge numbers of foreign license plates I've seen this week, I'd say that most Europeans prefer to drive. Most are from Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia and Slovakia, but a fair number of Brits have driven down as well as Dutch and French. And a Ferrari with Swedish plates was parked prominently in front of this hotel as well as an Estonian!

And not just in Split, but even here in Hvar.
On the other hand, when I look inside most of the cars there are often 3-4 people and almost never less than 2. And Split airport is packed with charter flights as well as the regularly scheduled ones, especially on weekends. Compare that with the dead of winter when some days there are only five total flights all day.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:18 pm

I prefer to fly to Zagreb as the flights are much cheaper, then grab a rental car and go about my merry way.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
I prefer to fly to Zagreb as the flights are much cheaper, then grab a rental car and go about my merry way.
Exactly what I've done. And yes there are 3 of us in the car. Also Zagreb hotels are quite cheap now. Less than €100 for the Westin, Sheraton, etc.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly what I've done. And yes there are 3 of us in the car. Also Zagreb hotels are quite cheap now. Less than €100 for the Westin, Sheraton, etc.
Zagreb- while closer- is not that much closer than Venezia, Ljubljana, or Trieste airports. Depending on where you are originating your trip from- may be worth looking into a few different places- from London for example there are also LCC to Zadar which is ~2 hours or so from Split if not even less depending on traffic.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: SPG Plat; OneWorld Emerald; *A Gold
What did everyone think of the beach? Do I need to bring reef shoes if I plan on swimming? I read that the beach was a bit rocky, then turns into sand.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LPC6
What did everyone think of the beach? Do I need to bring reef shoes if I plan on swimming? I read that the beach was a bit rocky, then turns into sand.
Yes footwear is highly recommended at this beach. I managed without but wasn't easy getting in and out. They sell beach shoes all around here.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Zagreb- while closer- is not that much closer than Venezia, Ljubljana, or Trieste airports. Depending on where you are originating your trip from- may be worth looking into a few different places- from London for example there are also LCC to Zadar which is ~2 hours or so from Split if not even less depending on traffic.
Good tip, thanks. ^
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat; OneWorld Emerald; *A Gold
Yes footwear is highly recommended at this beach. I managed without but wasn't easy getting in and out. They sell beach shoes all around here.
Thanks for the advice
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:38 pm

great ideas- thanks for the tips!

I know it's difficult to advise for others, but if you had your option, how long would you stay at Le Meridien Split in order to get a feel for the area? the other locations in Croatia or Slovenia?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.