Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Left Marriott] Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort, Kona, Big Island Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Left Marriott] Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort, Kona, Big Island Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
+2 on Mauna Lani or Mauna Kea

I just checked out after a week at the Sheraton. Staff is generally great, I enjoyed the low occupancy as the pool area was as described above, ~ a dozen or so guests. Upgraded to ocean view tower 2. Love the open style architecture, but yes the rooms are a little on the old side. Not sure where they spent $70m....

Food sucks big time. And resort priced of course. However, I find that food pretty much always sucks at hotels. I can't see why it can't be mediocre instead .
Old Jul 7, 2009, 7:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UMP, SPG
Starwood DID have a presence on the BI...the Orchid used to be Sheraton before it was Fairmont...don't know why they stopped managing it.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by turtlegirl
Starwood DID have a presence on the BI...the Orchid used to be Sheraton before it was Fairmont...don't know why they stopped managing it.
If that's true, it must have been a brief period. I think it was better known as a Ritz-Carlton property prior to Fairmont management. Very similar in architecture and room layout as the Ritz Kapalua on Maui.

+3 on *W along Kohala Coast on BI

Last edited by W2B Globetrotter; Jul 7, 2009 at 12:57 pm Reason: correction
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UMP, SPG
It was the Sheraton Orchid in 1998 on our first trip to the BI...
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: SPG NWWP
Any experience with Sheraton Big Island?

Has anyone had good experience staying at the Sheraton Big Island? I am trying to decided between Sheraton Kauai and Sheraton Big Island for a 5 night stays next summer...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 2, 2009 at 3:03 pm Reason: Moved into master thread without edit. Thanks, 3Cforme
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:26 pm
jtb

Programs: SPG, AS, AA, CO
Don't do it....was there the last week in Sept. 09. In my opinion it is a Sub-par property, sub-par rooms, and sub-par location for all things Big Island really. Look the property up on Tripadvisor and read reviews there.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I'm not quite as negative but....

...it is what it is...the location in keahou bay (spelling?) is a little isolated, and the restaurant choices are pretty limited, its about 15-20 min drive to get a better selection.
Hotel needs an update. Nice pool though. NO BEACH...all rock.
But the one big + are the manta rays that feed outside the hotel bar everynight...big lights shine in the water to stir up plankton and these big beasties come to feed on them...very cool.
But over all i'd stay elsewhere and come visit one evening.
I've seen rates as low as $129/night and for hawaii thats not bad...but overall not what you would call a thrilling property.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Master threads are always a good place to look. Here's the last page.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...thread-12.html

My take: it's a serviceable family-oriented hotel but certainly not a luxury property.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 3:10 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We're heading here for a very short trip this month and then will spend x-mas on Maui.

We've never been to the Big Island but we won't have time to explore it on this short trip.

I'm glad my expectations are low. I plan to spend most of my time at the pool and/or the spa and I've heard good things about them.

The manta rays sound cool.

Any suggestions on dining options?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum Lifetime,Priority Club Platinum, Aeroplan Super Elite MM, Airmiles,Wyndam Rewards
We are booked for a week in March 2010. Any recent news on the hotel? We have two weeks at a timeshare and plan to spend the last week at the Sheraton.
Doesn't sound like a great place. Is it up to normal Sheraton standards?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:09 pm

A week is an awfully long time to stay at Sheraton Keauhou IMHO. I might suggest you instead stay at one of the resorts on the Kohola coast. Much nicer resort IMHO, especially for a weeklong stay. And with the economy in the dumps, I hear you can Priceline the Kohala Coast resorts for under $100 per night!!! Can't beat that!!

Sheraton Keauhou is fine for a 1 or 2 night stay, but any longer than that it would start to get old and you'd start to get bored I would think............unless you plan to spend almost no time at the hotel and a good amount of time driving to snorkeling south of there or the beaches north of there or the volcano or similar. Then it would be centrally located to those things and perfect for your needs.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I have the Sheraton reserved for a 4 night stay on C&P.

Hupuna Prince can be had for $73+ on priceline, should I stay there instead?

Will I get a Plat upgrade at the Sheraton? Should I just go with priceline?
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I have the Sheraton reserved for a 4 night stay on C&P.

Will I get a Plat upgrade at the Sheraton? Should I just go with priceline?
You will almost certainly get upgraded to an Oceanfront room at Sheraton. That said, I would anyday choose Hapuna Beach for $73 over Sheraton using C&P. Even if you factor in the PL room that you may get at Hapuna Beach, you're still saving money and the hotel/location are much better at Hapuna Beach. Maybe you can use some of your savings and offer Hapuna $$$ for a paid upgrade into a better room.

If you will at all want to be South of Kona during your trip, you might consider 1 night at Sheraton (ideally the first or last night or your trip as Sheraton is closer to the airport as well). This will give you a chance to enjoy the Sheraton viewpoint as well and will allow you to be better situated for days you might do things in Kona or South of Kona.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:04 am
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Are you kidding me?

If you really can get the Hapuna for $73 a night, that's a no brainer.

The Hapuna is in a a FAR better location. Its directly on one of the two best beaches on the island and in a resort with beautiful golf courses and oceanfront tennis courts.

It's even costing less since the most people would value the cash and points at much more than $73 per night. (If you don't agree, PM me and I'll be happy to trade.)
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by RLG
Are you kidding me?

If you really can get the Hapuna for $73 a night, that's a no brainer.

The Hapuna is in a a FAR better location. Its directly on one of the two best beaches on the island and in a resort with beautiful golf courses and oceanfront tennis courts.

It's even costing less since the most people would value the cash and points at much more than $73 per night. (If you don't agree, PM me and I'll be happy to trade.)
Hapuna=$342 with tax for 4 nights.
Sheraton=$240 + 15,500 Starpoints for 4 nights.

Obviously I value my Starpoints at a higher value than that, but...
Hapuna=Crappy PL parking lot room.
Sheraton=Plat upgrade ocean-view room. (Suite?)

Is it really such a no-brainer? Is the Hapuna that much better than the Sheraton? I haven't read such great things about it either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.