Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Left Marriott] Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort, Kona, Big Island Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Left Marriott] Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort, Kona, Big Island Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
No impact yet from the remodel on any property services since the current work is entrance and parking lot facing rooms. At some point they will get to things like the restaurants and that will impact guests - don't know when that will be. As to the suite - got lucky. I have stayed at the property many times and reliably get an ocean front room upgrade from the cheapest rate - sometimes right over the bar where you can watch the mantas from your lanai. This time they gave me the suite at the end of building 1 on the third floor. Huge space including an enormous deck you could have held a sizable party on.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: AP, AM
Originally Posted by pdx1M
ocean front room ... sometimes right over the bar where you can watch the mantas from your lanai.
Well if I can't get a suite, the Manta Room sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the replies!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: Just a kettle now :)
Originally Posted by Beavertails
Thankfully I find that white noise soothing. I love the sound of the ocean.
Just putting in my two cents worth, but I agree with this statement entirely. It was absolutely relaxing to listen to the water crash against the rocks while sipping a drink on the lanai. Doing this while watching the sun set after a long day of exploring the big island was amongst the most relaxing things I've ever done.

This property might be "tired" and "old", but it was very relaxing, which is all I was looking for. I, for one, will be returning. ^
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:52 pm

I was there last week and returned on 1-24. We were on the SPA wing above the SPA on the 4th floor (top floor on that wing), so Manta Ray Grill and Bar were to our right and Manta Rays visible from our lanai, although a Palm tree sort of blocked the view a little. It was Ocean front, not Bay view, which is very different.

Regarding renovation, I doubt anything is going to change much in the rooms. The rooms on the 3 floors that were being worked on had their furniture outside the rooms, covered with clear tarp, as if they were planning to put it back in the room. Also were told that they are "redecorating" the rooms so there is more of a Hawaiian theme. The lobby was being renovated, we will how when we go back next year.

What they need to do is put a door between the sink and the room itself. That would be a huge "renovation".

Yes the property is old and dated but still provides good value.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
Here's a construction notice from a non-SPG website:
"Effective immediately, the Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort will be starting a renovation project, with a projected ending date of June, 2012. The details are as follows: The arrival experience will be enhanced with refurbishment of the port cochere, directionally reconfigured front desk and addition of a new lobby bar, along with other changes to the restaurants on the property. Hawaii's premier ocean dining location, will become Rays on the Bay. Guest rooms will be refreshed with new paint, carpeting, and brightened with the new art work. There will also be an addition of 10 guest suites. There will be improvements done to the Meeting Space and Fitness Center and the addition of Kona Surf Sports and Activity Center. Currently the scheduled dates are as follows (subject to change): Entry drive Resurfacing and reconfiguration Jan-March 2012 Guest Room soft goods, interior design enhancements Jan.- May 2012 Arrival Experience enhancements Jan.-Apr. 2012 Front Desk and Lobby Bar Jan.-Apr. 2012 Addition of Kona Surf Sports & Activity Center Late Jan.- Apr. 2012 Fitness Center upgrades Feb.-March 2012 Meeting Space upgrades Feb.-March 2012 Conversion of Manta Ray Bar & Grill to Rays on the Bay Apr.- May 2012 Conversion of Kai Restaurant to Aina Kai Apr.- May 2012 Conversion of Crystal Blue Lounge to Paakai Point Apr.- May 2012"

We're booked there (through Starwood) for 5-10 Feb and it sounds like they are doing some serious work that could seriously affect guests' enjoyment of the resort! I can't understand how the Starwood website (no warning until now) can be behind third-party websites in adding this very important information. Also, the least they can do is warn all customers that are already booked! We're due to arrive in exactly one week and so far nothing ...
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ashaboe
...Guest rooms will be refreshed with new paint, carpeting, and brightened with the new art work. ...
They tried this recently - and it was a dismal failure. They need to tear out the wood paneling on many of the room walls, overhaul the bathrooms and besides painting and carpeting, replace all the furniture.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by pdx1M
This time they gave me the suite at the end of building 1 on the third floor. Huge space including an enormous deck you could have held a sizable party on.
I had that same upgrade about 2 years ago. The room itself was not fancy, but calling it just "a suite" is an understatement. And I think the deck was probably large enough to hold over 100 people for a party.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by bocastephen
They tried this recently - and it was a dismal failure. They need to tear out the wood paneling on many of the room walls, overhaul the bathrooms and besides painting and carpeting, replace all the furniture.
^ on this comment

on the lackluster effort at a refurb
Old Feb 11, 2012, 1:29 am

Is there a Lounge for Platinum guest for free breakfast at this property or should I choose from one of the welcome amenities?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by soap_bubbles
Is there a Lounge for Platinum guest for free breakfast at this property or should I choose from one of the welcome amenities?
No lounge or free breakfast unless included in your rate.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Parking for visiting

Do you have to pay the $10 parking fee to visit the bar and watch the mantra rays? Or is there a parking lot nearby?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Assuming you aren't staying there you can just park. From what I can tell they just (maybe) scan the lot sometime in the middle of the night for visitors without parking passes in the window.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
pdx1M, thanks. This is good to know.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
i will be staying here april 16 and april 18 (for stay credits). Will report back w/ details as a spg plat during renovations
Old Feb 21, 2012, 1:58 pm
Community Director Emerita

How much is the resort fees, and are platinums charged? If so, what is given to platinums in addition?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.