Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[*CLOSED*] Four Points Sihlcity, Zurich, Switzerland [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[*CLOSED*] Four Points Sihlcity, Zurich, Switzerland [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
I am surprised to see this is a Cat 5 hotel along with the Sheraton Zurich. Does it deserve to be Cat 5 and is it on par with the Sheraton?

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
I got a 1BR suite upgrade on my recent stay at the Sihlcity 4P, and man, that was a "sweet" suite! Plus a fruit plate and a nice tin of Lindt chocolates. I've speculated in a separate thread that the world's best 4Points property might be the Panoramahaus in Dornbirn, Austria, but the suite I got at Sihlcity makes me rethink that evaluation. I took some video, and if I get a chance I'll extract some photos and post them here.

On the other hand, Dornbirn does offer free breakfast and parking, wonderful scenic views (the Sihlcity essentially has none), and unbeatable workout facilities, its very nice rooftop restaurant is less expensive than the Sihlcity's and the Sihlcity's breakfast is not only not free but pretty expensive. And the Sihlcity property is much harder to get to if you're driving. The Sihlcity property does have an advantage in that it's in a location that many people can use, whereas Dornbirn is pretty well off-the-beaten-path. But the Sihlcity's average rates are also much higher than Dornbirn's to compensate for that.

Overall, I guess my evaluation would still rank Dornbirn as the best, but based on my one visit, Sihlcity would seem to be in the top five.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:55 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by PCTraveler
I am surprised to see this is a Cat 5 hotel along with the Sheraton Zurich. Does it deserve to be Cat 5 and is it on par with the Sheraton?
Category is based on room rates -- not on quality, etc. So is your question about whether it deserves to have rates similar to those of the Sheraton? Yes, I believe that it does.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: Lufthansa Gold, BA Gold, Starwood Platinum
I stayed there the second time last week. The hotel is new, but no Cat 5 from my point of view. The location is B and the rooms are not special. The rest is traditional 4P standard. I would say it is rather a 3 (4 maybe just because it is Zurich and everything is quite expensive there)
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:44 am
Formerly known as quyinhong

Programs: SPG-Plat HHonors-Gold IHG-RA US-CP
Just came back from a 1 night stay here, was upgraded to a 1 BR suite without asking, the suite is really big and nice, it deserves Cat5 from my point of view.

The check in/out was quick, front desk was friendly and helpful.

I booked the room at the same day of arrival, so there was no welcome letter or fruit plate etc., chose fruit plate as platinum amenity.

The parking was a bit expensive(40 CHF per night), but It seems normal in Switzerland.

It seems like there is no king bed in the hotel, they put 2 twin beds together, there was a gap between them, since I was there by myself, it was not a problem.

One thing I would complain is, when I was preparing for checking out at 10:00AM, somebody knocked the door and wanted to check the minibar, even I told her I am leaving soon, she insisted to check it right away and the attitude was not good. She said nothing about the minibar and left. Because I was in a hurry to catch the train, I did not check my bill when CO. I checked the bill just now and found they charged a bottle of water for CHF 4.80 but I did not open it, I just brought one bottle of water out from the minibar, but put it back before leaving. I will write a email to the manager about the mistaken charge and bad attitude of the cleaner.

Other than this, it was great. I will recommend this hotel.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:33 pm

not good

350 chf & spg platinum gets reasonable size room on first floor with zero courtesy, a pathetic bathroom with dirty floor and cheap curtain + shower head arrangement. went to office to shower.

plenty of rooms available @spg.com - hard to believe this is best for one night stay [thur].

not happy with hotel or spg. would recommend some other place in zurich - sheraton looks great by comparison, but only by comparison. youth hostel would be about as good. 500 pts is about the best feature. fourth visit here and certainly the last [previous were not great but not quite the same slap in the face as now]. sheraton n-s is somewhat better. neither is worth the 300-500 chf; platinum status gets you water & chocolate.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:19 am

Just got back home from a three night stay at this hotel.

As Zurich is very expensive, I was very happy to get a decent prepaid rate some weeks ahead of arrival.

We arrived very late (11pm), but the platinum recognition at check in was outstanding: "Welcome mr. heakja, let me see if we have a suite available for you. Yes, we do." As it turned out, we got one of the very few (I think) senior suites. (Room 319, on the SPG floor).

The suite was excellent laid out, with comfy beds and a big bathroom. As a light-sleeper (and lightsensitive), I just LOVED the curtains with the velcro solution. Why doesnt all SPG hotel have those?? It was also very quiet, the windows were sound proof.

The hotel felt very modern and fresh. I have only stayed in a few other 4PS, but as an example it is IMO in another league than the 4PS Chelsea New York.

The location has it pros and cons. Its smack in the middle of a new shopping area, which I actually liked a lot. (Cafes etc. very close by for an early or late snack). Both tram and train very close - the ride to downtook took only minutes. However, if you like to walk to the main attractions, this hotel might not be your cup of tea. (That said, the 30 minute-ish walk along the river to downtown is kind of nice).

Didnt try the breakfast - as mentioned, starbucks and a decent chocolatier next door. The restaurant seemed pretty empty most of the time, but the bar looked like a trendy spot both night and day.

Highly recommended.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Our airline ticket home forced an overnight in Zurich upon us, so I booked us an award stay here.

To get there from the airport requires one train to the main train station and then switching to another train. We asked at the information desk at the airport and the lady there gave us the directions. The switch was easy. Once we got to the Sihlcity train station, I looked around for a few minutes and found signs pointing to the Four Points. It is literally at the train station. It is also easy to catch streetcars across the street from the hotel. We took the streetcar back to the main train station on our return to the airport.

It is a 20 minute walk to the downtown area. You can easily take a streetcar ride as well, we just wanted to get some exercise. The night of our stay was the Swiss Independence Day holiday so everything was closed except for restaurants downtown.

We got upgraded to a Deluxe room. The whole place felt very industrial with a strange finish to the ceiling, a random square pillar in the middle of our room, and tiny cinderblock style windows. Then I read that the building housing the hotel used to be a paper factory. Makes more sense now. The bathroom was a bit W-esque with the frosted doors that closed off the separate shower and toilet areas. There was a bottle of water in the room, two "speckli" biscuits, two peaches, and a bag of sugared almonds. This was all very much appreciated! The "speckli" came with an Alice-in-Wonderland type card that said "Hi. I am your Speckli. You can eat me." The front desk was very helpful. The king was two twins pushed as one but for one night, it didn't matter to us. We selected the Welcome Drink as our gold amenity good for 1 drink worth 15 euro in their bar. We also received the "Friends of Four Points" token from the current promotion which was good for one coffee each. We got the 8 oz coffees to-go on our way to the airport.

For a one night stay, this hotel was fine for us. I would stay here again even though it's not in the main downtown area. Public transport in Zurich was very simple so it's easy to get here.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Krisflyer Gold
We spent one night here three weeks ago. We left our luggage at Zurich airport and took the train into town with just some hand luggage. We then wandered out of the main station and easily found the tram the goes past Sihl City and the hotel. We bought a one-day Zurich pass at the airport and that covered all of our transportation for the next 24 hours (return train to the airport plus trams). The hotel is just across the road from the Sihl City tram stop - easily seen. All this was done whilst jet lagged and so nobody should find it a problem to get to this hotel.

The hotel looks nothing special but we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist and given a suite for the night. The suite was large (two rooms), quiet and comfortable.

Another tram ride back into town for a mooch around Zurich and some lunch. Both very nice. Back to the hotel (again by tram) for an expensive drink in the hotel bar and an early night. Breakfast was included as an alternative to our 250 points. My first experience of not getting both points and breakfast but no big deal. Breakfast was very good.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:25 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Just spent Saturday night there and I was more than happy.

I booked a regular Queen bed room and got upgraded to a one BR suite on the third floor (SPG Floor, suite 319). I did not have to ask for it at check-in.

I actually showed up at 1pm and, as usual, just nicely say that I am aware it's still a bit early but that I would appreciate it if a room was already available.
The nice young lady then told me that I got an upgrade to a nice suite (which was the case, it was really nice) but that the previous guest is also a Gold member and requested for a 4pm check-out. I could wait for them to call me or they could give me a regular room, as booked, immediately. Of course I said <i would wait

They called me back at around 4:30pm and said that room was ready.

The location of this hotel is really good. It's right next to a big shopping mall, restaurants and cinema complex (showing lots of dubbed versions though, strange for Zurich), opposite the street from the tram station. Tram 13 runs every 5 minutes and takes you to central points such as Paradeplatz or Hauptbahnhof (main train station), which would take only 12 minutes.
Better yet, they run all the way until 3am. I managed to go out for drinks and clubbing and took the tram back, they run every 5 minutes even in the middle of the night! It's just perfect.

The suite was really good, nice size with a professional Nespresso machine, 2 flat TVs and a very nice bathroom and separate toilet.

The slightly negatives: dark room. The windows are kinda small, not floor to ceiling but horizontal windows which give on the building next door. So yeah, you can barely see the sky. Makes the room a bit cold and gloomy.
The beds: as said previously by other people, it's two single beds pushed together. It's acceptable when you're alone but for a couple, not really.

For the tiny rate of 139CHF, I could not have asked for more! ^
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
stayed for 1 night, 2 rooms, for the Moments CdS event. They upgraded both rooms to Junior Suites, 101 and 102, which are nice rooms with lots of daylight.

We were 3 adults and 2 children overall, and I chose the breakfast as amenity. Just had to pay for 1 additional adult CHF 30,-, kids ate free. Good value, good breakfast. We were also given a bunch of coupons for a free coffee which could be redeemed in the bar.

I like this hotel, its location, the service, and the rooms.

Parking is very expensive (CHF 40,-) but since it was a weekend we could use the free street parking nearby. Be careful, however, as there is a max 1 hour in the Blue zones during the week, including Saturdays.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Thinking of staying at this hotel or Sheraton.

1. Anyone compare this breakfast to the Sheraton?
2. Anyone compare their suites to one at the Sheraton?

Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:22 pm
cxn

If you want a cheap hotel in Zurich, use Priceline. You can usually get the Marriott for ~$100 USD/Night.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:42 am

Anyone decipher the difference in their internet offerings? Confusing as heck to me.

Internet Access

Wireless High Speed Internet Access in All Guest Rooms (Free)
Internet Service Provided in All Guest Rooms (Free)
High Speed Internet Access in All Guest Rooms CHF 12 per day
Wireless High Speed Internet Access in Public Areas (Free)
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:52 am

Solid property for the money. Did the prepaid rate and got it for roughly $215 a night which was a rate I was very happy with. Location, although not ideal, is 10 minutes away from train station or the heart of the lake area. Nothing is too hard to get to with the tram/train in Zurich.

We had 3 rooms and two platinum guests. They extended free breakfast to all three rooms and free internet to all three rooms. No one however got a room upgrade, which I'm not even sure they have many rooms to upgrade to here. The internet was very slow and didn't connect for 2 of the 3 rooms, which was disappinting. The breakfast I feel was above average. There were no made to order eggs, however they did have fried and scrambled. They also had some very good waffles that they had premade and were very good. Full set of juices, cereals and breads available as well as bacon,sausage, etc.

Overall I was very happy with the stay. As a plat you get a coupon for a free coffee (2 actually) and 2 10% off dinner coupons at the restaurant which we didn't try. I would stay here again.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
Four Points vs. Sheraton?

Originally Posted by schley
Thinking of staying at this hotel or Sheraton.

1. Anyone compare this breakfast to the Sheraton?
2. Anyone compare their suites to one at the Sheraton?

Thanks.
Heading to Zurich for a few days in August.

Anyone care to give us an update on which Starwood property they prefer and why. I'm mostly interested in what you think of the pluses & minuses of the location, physical plant and any other particulars that you feel are important. Thx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.