Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[*CLOSED*] Four Points Sihlcity, Zurich, Switzerland [Master Thread]

[*CLOSED*] Four Points Sihlcity, Zurich, Switzerland [Master Thread]

Old Jan 21, 2009, 5:05 am

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire - BA GGL - AF Plat - LH Senator - EK Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes
I know...it's crazy. Apparently the hotel will be closed in August & September for renovations. Right now I am trying to decide between a C&P booking at the Sheraton or the 4P for mid-September.
go for 4p since it's a new hotel and Sheraton is worned out.. Maybe it needs an update after the renovation but until then, better opt for 4p
Old Jan 21, 2009, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
My 3rd stay in 4P some weeks ago. Time shows learning curve effect. Everything smooth, happy and positive. The Sheraton need refurbishing in many aspects.

Despite the rather gloomy surrounding area in the morning until 10, when shopping starts, I found some nice restaurants in the evening, barely some steps away.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: AP E, SPG Plat
awesome stay

I stayed here in mid July on a Sunday night. Had a great stay. Got upgraded to their best suite as a plat (even though the stay was on points). Nice bowl of fruit and Lindt chocolates were left for me. The suite itself was great...huge bathroom, walk-in shower, monster sized tub...nice living area with another toilet. The area itself is not in central Zurich but the tram station is outside the hotel - takes about 10 minutes max and you are in the heart of Zurich. Plus it is good access for a number of other sites in the area. Sihlcity is a shopping and movie area but you needn't go far and you will find lots of life. Staff was extremely courteous and everything was smooth. Did I mention I checked in at 9 AM? They were great. The only downside is you have to pay for the gym (private) and there is no breakfast or club lounge, but it is a 4 points...
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I echo thorshammar completely here. Great hotel - my favorite in Zurich. Always excellent platinum treatment.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I just finished a great stay here!

Don't be fooled by the "Four Points" name... it is nicer than a lot of Westin or Sheratons.

Wish it had a better bed though.. it was clearly not the FP bed. Other than that.... ^^

They let me checkin early...very early after flying transatlantic. Very much appreciated.

Free internet....wired. In Europe?? at a Starwood hotel?? WOW

There was some kind of little snack left by in the evening...and I'm only a Gold!

Good location right off of the S bahn--five minute ride from the main station. Plenty of stuff at the mall nearby.

This hotel made a great trip to Zurich even better!!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:15 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
It's encouraging to read the good reports here.

I'll be staying at the Sihlcity Four Points in a couple of weeks before my departure flight that leaves ZRH at 10:00 am. Looking at the street map, I had initially concluded that I should drop off the rental car at ZRH the night before, take the train/tram to the hotel, then get back to ZRH the next morning by rail again. I had thought that would eliminate the potential for getting stuck in city traffic on the way to the airport. But then I realized my departure flight is on a Saturday morning, so I've reasoned that the streets will mostly be relatively empty, and my current plan is to keep the car and drive to the airport on Saturday morning.

Is this reasoning basically correct, or should I revise my plans?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
I have reservations at the other Sheraton in town on cash and points in a few days. Should I be switching here? I thought that being newly renovated it would be nice, but seems like the Four Points is getting good reviews.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:19 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I got a 1BR suite upgrade on my recent stay at the Sihlcity 4P, and man, that was a "sweet" suite! Plus a fruit plate and a nice tin of Lindt chocolates. I've speculated in a separate thread that the world's best 4Points property might be the Panoramahaus in Dornbirn, Austria, but the suite I got at Sihlcity makes me rethink that evaluation. I took some video, and if I get a chance I'll extract some photos and post them here.

On the other hand, Dornbirn does offer free breakfast and parking, wonderful scenic views (the Sihlcity essentially has none), and unbeatable workout facilities, its very nice rooftop restaurant is less expensive than the Sihlcity's and the Sihlcity's breakfast is not only not free but pretty expensive. And the Sihlcity property is much harder to get to if you're driving. The Sihlcity property does have an advantage in that it's in a location that many people can use, whereas Dornbirn is pretty well off-the-beaten-path. But the Sihlcity's average rates are also much higher than Dornbirn's to compensate for that.

Overall, I guess my evaluation would still rank Dornbirn as the best, but based on my one visit, Sihlcity would seem to be in the top five.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Not to happy with the check-in last Saturday afternoon. I was upgraded to a Deluxe room on the 3rd Fl from a superior room (I thought it would be a Junior Suite). Went back to the front desk and inquire whether there were any suite available, was initially told that they have already offered a one-level "upgrade", but they were able to find a corner junior suite on 1st Floor, which I was happy to receive. Have yet to receive my platinum amenity points.

Just thought it was odd that I wasn't prebooked into the junior suite. The initial upgraded deluxe room was very dark (window faced the expressway).
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Directions from airport

Can someone give me detailed directions to take public transportation or a shuttle from the airport (flying UA) to the hotel? I'll have a 22" rollaboard, probably a medium-sized duffle, and backpack. Will it be difficult to take the train with that luggage? Taxi prices are way too expensive.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by linsj
Can someone give me detailed directions to take public transportation or a shuttle from the airport (flying UA) to the hotel? I'll have a 22" rollaboard, probably a medium-sized duffle, and backpack. Will it be difficult to take the train with that luggage? Taxi prices are way too expensive.
http://www.vbz.ch/vbz_opencms/opencm.../ZVVtimetable/

Go from "Zurich Airport" to "Sihlcity"

I would take any train from Zurich Airport to Zurich HB (main station) and then switch to tram #13 (yellow) in direction Albisgütli
Old Oct 16, 2009, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by nissan motor
http://www.vbz.ch/vbz_opencms/opencm.../ZVVtimetable/

Go from "Zurich Airport" to "Sihlcity"

I would take any train from Zurich Airport to Zurich HB (main station) and then switch to tram #13 (yellow) in direction Albisgütli
The web site directions don't make much sense to me. From what I can determine, there's a 7 min. walk in the middle of the route. Is that in a station or outside? Plus I don't know where to get off for the hotel.

Unless I know exactly where to go and where to get off and what to expect, I'll end up lost. These directions are still vague for me. Is there a help desk in baggage claim?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:16 am

I arrived yesterday for a three-night award stay. Got here before 9:30 a.m. and was able to check in right away, for which I was thankful since I needed to take a nap.

The room is a good size and has two twin beds pushed together, but only one is made up for sleeping, which is all I need anyway. There's a small couch that's uncomfortable, ottomon, and table as well as a large desk (the chair is very uncomfortable), a cupboard with coffee supplies and an empty shelf, and a safe. The small refrigerator is stocked, but there's still room to put a few of your own bottles in it. There are two robes and slipper sets. I was suprised to see washcloths since other European hotels I've been in don't supply them. It has the open bathroom with frosted glass doors on the toilet area and shower that someone mentioned earlier; definitely not a good design. On the whole, I don't care for the modern design. I'm on the side facing the shopping mall on the second floor, but I have not heard any noise from outside.

Each day I've received a free bottle of sparkling mineral water. The wired Internet is free, reliable, and fast. When I came back from lunch yesterday, someone had left a small container of fresh fruit and utensils, along with a handwritten welcome note. Since I have no status other than AAA preferred, I assume everyone gets this. Local calls are also free.

Breakfast buffet is 30 CHF. I bought food at the grocery store in the mall instead.

The business center consists of one computer and printer in the lobby. The elevators are the smallest I've seen anywhere.

There is a hotel shuttle service from the airport; no reservation required. Vans arrive between arrival areas 1 and 2 before entering the airport shopping area. I ended up taking it since I had too much to carry and was too tired to navigate the train system. This hotel is in zone 4, which is 40 CHF. You have to call for a pick up back to the airport.

The location is convenient for public transportation, grocery store, and the restaurants and shops at the mall.

Last edited by linsj; Oct 30, 2009 at 11:23 am Reason: more info
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Any recent stays? I have a five day stay in September and my meeting is at the University. I can get the Sheraton as well, but something about my last Sheraton stay makes me want to avoid Sheraton sweet sleeper beds for the next decade.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:30 am

Programs: DL DM MM, SPG Plat
Stayed there last night. Like reactions from other posters, this is far above the normal four points experience (I spent 20 nights this summer at th 4pts Saginaw Michigan, so I know the typical experience far too well), and I think it stacks up favorably with other Cat 5 properties in Europe

I got upgraded to a very nice suite, (319); you enter into a very good sized sitting room area, with dining table and couch and TV and a washroom. There was a hand written note of welcome, and a box of custom made chocolates with the four points logo in the chocolate itself (!) The room also had an espresso maker and free mineral water.

Bedroom was about the same size as the living area, with a desk and a wired internet connection that worked fine. (wire is buried in a hidden compartment at the back of the desk.. the jet lag made that surprisingly hard to find) The bed was two twins pushed together with separate sheet components for each. The bed is firm but I found it comfortable... but it does not have the plush comfort of the heavenly bed.

Bathroom was exceptional and very large. Walk in shower, separate large soaking tub, separate toilet/biday room. It was absolutely stocked, 2 of everything- high quality items like high end shampoos, sponge/lufas, bath salts, vanity kits etc... not what i expected at all.

There is also an enormous walk in closet that is appointed with wood closet system components and recessed lighting that was, admittedly, nicer than my closet at home.

A few potential minuses to consider:

- On this side of the hotel, the windows face the pedestrian mall, and the view is onto the wall of the office building next door. Also, the widows are recessed into the wall by about 2 ft, and are only about 4 ft tall; based on this, there was not a tremendous amount of natural light; this did not bother me that much, but it may bother others. Not sure if the other side is better

- Parking is 40CHF on the hotel side, which seems expensive even by Zurich standards. Next time, i may try the streets in the neighborhood. Or force myself onto the tram/taxis.

- I am generally good with electronics, but i had NO IDEA how to turn on the TVs. There was an instruction sheet along with the remote, indicating that I was not the first luddite to encounter this problem. Unfortunately, I am a non-German speaking luddite, so the deutsche instruction did me no good at all. Had I stayed another night, I may have asked for help...

- Breakfast at 30CHF is outrageous- while it has hot breakfast items like eggs and meats, it does not warrant that price. I got a complementary coffee with my stay, then went next door in the outside pedestrian mall to a take out place for a pastry (this was open at 730am when I went out, so the area is not 100% dead at that time- lots of people were streaming into the Credit Suisse office next door when I went out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.