Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite - years needed?

Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum

Hey guys,

According to the Marriott app, I currently have 761 lifetime nights, and 9 years of Platinum. I'm about 500K short from the 2M lifetime point qualification, but I'm hoping I can qualify for Lifetime Premier Platinum with my nights and years with Platinum status. Any idea if the "9" showing in the app includes or excludes this current year? Like, would I hit 10 years by the 12/31/18 qualification deadline, or does the 9 mean we are currently in the 9th year?

Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
On my SPG app, I started out with 8 Platinum years, and as soon as I qualified this year (on 50 nights) it moved to 9 years.

On my Marriott app, I have 66 nights so far, and it's showing 0 silver/gold/platinum years. So it's inconsistent between the two. Apparently the latter is a bug, and hasn't been resolved by IT yet. What did you start this year out as?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Interesting. I started out the year as Marriott Platinum (lifetime gold). No SPG points to transfer. I only have 41 night so far this year, so you're saying that once I hit 50 and requalify for platinum (even though I already have regular lifetime platinum), that may trigger by 9 years to switch to 10, thereby qualifying me for PP? Interesting thought!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Unfortunately, Starriott is considering how lifetime elite years are counted to be proprietary information, so there's no hope of finding a clear statement of the rules.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:42 am
Original Poster

FYI, i just called, and Marriott confirmed that my 9 years that are showing include the one we in right now, so there is no way for me to hit 10 by the 12/31/18 deadline. Turns out I'm only 300k short of the 2M points needed, which is less than I thought, but still probably unachievable without buying a timeshare. Total bummer.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:34 pm

If it is really important to you, you should be able to get an additonal year by having 25 stays at SPG properties before the end of the year.
Seabilly likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by forecheck
If it is really important to you, you should be able to get an additonal year by having 25 stays at SPG properties before the end of the year.
Is that really possible for someone who didn't sign up for SPG before Aug 18? I'm not sure, but I get the impression that the OP may have never been an SPG member. And I don't see any way to sign up for SPG now. And the 25 stays at SPG properties before the end of the year only works for SPG members AFAIK.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Is that really possible for someone who didn't sign up for SPG before Aug 18? I'm not sure, but I get the impression that the OP may have never been an SPG member. And I don't see any way to sign up for SPG now. And the 25 stays at SPG properties before the end of the year only works for SPG members AFAIK.
I am a Starwood member, although I've already merged my accounts if that matters. I have been a member of both for years, I just stayed at Starwood very rarely, so definitely never had status or enough points to make an impact. So you guys think that if I get 25 stays at SPG properties by the end of the year, that will count? So I could get credit for my 9th platinum year at Marriott, plus one at Starwood? Interesting idea! Why 25? I assume that's all that is needed for SPG platinum? Any idea whether there are work arounds for the nights, like the 10 night credit for booking a meeting at Marriott? It's not the end of the world if I don't make it, I'll still have regular lifetime platinum, but locking in the 75% bonus for life would be great. And it just bugs me that I'm so close!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Kate031
I am a Starwood member, although I've already merged my accounts if that matters. I have been a member of both for years, I just stayed at Starwood very rarely, so definitely never had status or enough points to make an impact. So you guys think that if I get 25 stays at SPG properties by the end of the year, that will count? So I could get credit for my 9th platinum year at Marriott, plus one at Starwood? Interesting idea! Why 25? I assume that's all that is needed for SPG platinum? Any idea whether there are work arounds for the nights, like the 10 night credit for booking a meeting at Marriott? It's not the end of the world if I don't make it, I'll still have regular lifetime platinum, but locking in the 75% bonus for life would be great. And it just bugs me that I'm so close!
Yes you can get it with 25 stays at SPG legacy hotels only. The only way to make up any extra stays is via a mattress run there are no shortcuts. If you can manage to chalk up 25 stays with your 41 nights then no harm in going for it!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Best way to get night credits.

I would like to get the lifetime platinum status. I have enough total nights but have only 8 years. Right now I have 40 nights YTD. I have another 16 booked so far. So I need 19 more this year to get to year 9.

I live on the Central California Coast. I won’t be able to travel more than already planned. I need suggestions to get those nights. Is there a real cheap property I can fly to and check in, fly home, then back to check out where air fare added in should save me money. Cheapest per night semi locally is $112 per night.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Nobbi
I would like to get the lifetime platinum status. I have enough total nights but have only 8 years. Right now I have 40 nights YTD. I have another 16 booked so far. So I need 19 more this year to get to year 9.
Don't think you need to do any of that - you will get a Plat year credited as soon as you cross 50 nights under the new program. Plat Premier is 75 nights, but for LT status there shouldn't be any difference/improvement over 50 nights. Save your money for 2019 nights...
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kate031
FYI, i just called, and Marriott confirmed that my 9 years that are showing include the one we in right now, so there is no way for me to hit 10 by the 12/31/18 deadline. Turns out I'm only 300k short of the 2M points needed, which is less than I thought, but still probably unachievable without buying a timeshare. Total bummer.
Can you apply for some combination of Marriott/SPG Chase/AMEX Personal/Business cards to help to get 300k points needed to get to 2 million lifetime MR points? And get a Chase Sapphire on top of that for 50k more UR points that can be transferred to MR? I think those count towards lifetime MR points (though a terrible value per point vs Hyatt or airline transfers)?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Don't think you need to do any of that - you will get a Plat year credited as soon as you cross 50 nights under the new program. Plat Premier is 75 nights, but for LT status there shouldn't be any difference/improvement over 50 nights. Save your money for 2019 nights...
This sounds right. If 2018 is your 9th year (earned in 2017) and you hit 50 nights again in 2018 (I.e., before 12/31/18) you will have earned 10 years.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Nobbi

I live on the Central California Coast. I won’t be able to travel more than already planned. I need suggestions to get those nights. Is there a real cheap property I can fly to and check in, fly home, then back to check out where air fare added in should save me money. Cheapest per night semi locally is $112 per night.
You could get 2 years platinum this year by 25 stays in SPG and 50 nights in Marriott hotels, Assuming you have an SPG account.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by geminidreams
You could get 2 years platinum this year by 25 stays in SPG and 50 nights in Marriott hotels, Assuming you have an SPG account.
Does this still work if you’ve combined accounts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.