Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capitol, Austin, TX [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capitol, Austin, TX [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by spgplat21
I stay here often because the W is always insanely expensive but I probably wouldn't choose this property if I was not loyal to SPG. The staff here has always been wonderful, but the hard product needs some major work so I'm not surprised it gets some negative reviews on tripadvisor. The elevators are old and slow and there is usually one out of service. The rooms are also in major need of a refresh. The hotel needs some work, but it's still fine for most people. Just go in expecting an old style Sheraton and I don't think you'd be disappointed.

I've heard they are beginning a renovation soon, so hopefully the hard product will match up to the staff in the near future.
This set of remarks neatly summarizes my observations about the Austin Sheraton. While the staff is friendly enough, platinum recognition upon checkin is modest at best.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Sheraton Austin Renovation?

Originally Posted by controller1
A couple of management responses to TA reviews indicate they are "approaching a renovation". No timing was given.
Has this renovation been done? Thinking of a stay in November....
Old Oct 17, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Asiana Club Dmnd (*G), AA plat, Alitalia FA, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, HGP Dmnd, HH Dmnd
Was not done when I was there in August.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
Was there earlier this week. No renovation yet. I still like the price, and the gym. Bartender said the reno plans include tearing out the existing bar and moving it to a new restaurant/bar combo downstairs. The one improvement I noticed on this most recent visit was that the internet actually functioned at a decent speed. They also had eggs and canadian bacon sandwiches in the lounge for breakfast- first time I had seen anything hot there other than oatmeal.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
It seems like this property is milking the Austin hotel boom for everything its worth. The renovations that were supposed to be finished a long time ago keep getting delayed, the rates are higher than ever, and parking seems to go up a little bit each time I stay. With all the new properties opening up downtown, hopefully they'll be forced to improve soon, but I'm not optimistic.

With the Westin having lower rates than the W I think I'm done with this hotel for the foreseeable future. Between the constant games they play with award availability (e.g. blocking out every Friday and Saturday), terrible hard product, poor platinum recognition and gross breakfast buffet the lower cost doesn't outweigh the negatives for me anymore.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by hendricks
Was not done when I was there in August.
thanks for the update.

The web site says some work is going on in the Lobby but the consensus seems to be that the part that need upgrading is the rooms.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Lobby is still under construction and the entrance to the hotel shifts back and forth depending on where work is going on. Total dumb around the lobby. The temporary checkin area is entirely embarrassing. Carpets in elevator look like they've seen a decade of frat parties.

No Lifetime Platinum recognition, no upgrade, no ask if I want 500 points, no help with bags. Hotel shouldn't be in the Sheraton group.
Attached Images   
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Any update on this hotel? Seems sold out on 3May. How far is hotel to UT campus?

Looking forward for nostalgic walk around the campus
Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lingua101
Any update on this hotel? Seems sold out on 3May. How far is hotel to UT campus?

Looking forward for nostalgic walk around the campus
1.0 miles from campus according to the property's website. Look under Local Attractions on the website and you will see this and much more.....
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:14 pm
GYK

Programs: United Million-Miler, SPG Gold
How is this property now? I'm reading mixed reviews and I'm trying to book a stay in May 2018. It is cheap ($150) vs. other downtown options and I"m a gold member. Thoughts?.
Old May 31, 2019, 5:59 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Stayed here last Thursday and Friday nights. No construction in the building (although is elsewhere in the neighborhood). Parking still expensive but much better options in the neighborhood with your favorite app.

We arrived just after 11AM and we were allowed into our room that early which was nice. Room only on the 6th floor, but view of the Capitol was nice. With slow elevators we used the stairs to get to/from the lounge and the lobby much of the time

Was really nice having the pool for afternoon relaxation.

Hotel is dangerously close to Franklin BBQ. We were only there 2 days so we only went to Franklin twice.

Gold members but they gave us lounge access. B'fast had eggs and decent bacon and oatmeal for hot. Pastries, very good fruit, and cold cereal, too. Evenings was two hot dishes along with veggies and cheese/crackers. Wine and beer for a price. Soda/water fridge was kept well stocked.

Last edited by Out of my Element; May 31, 2019 at 6:04 pm
Old Aug 5, 2021, 5:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Any recent experiences? It’s running about $100 a night less than the other properties so wondering if there’s a good reason for that
Old Jul 17, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Hey, bringing up an old thread. This is becoming a very dated property. Lounge closed. One of the three lifts was out all week and on my last day they were down to only one lift forcing us to take the stairs with luggage. They do not even check requests on the app. Bar and restaurant staff were great. Feels like it is being run into the ground. Embarrassing for Marriott.. Check the tripadvisor reviews. I wish I would have trusted them as after staying I find them accurate now.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Sounds like no lounge. What's the breakfast situation these days?
Old Jan 30, 2024, 1:36 am

The Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capitol is rebranding to Downright Austin, A Renaissance Hotel this spring, following major renovations:

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/annou...nce-hotel.html

Just announced today, no page yet at Marriott.com under the new name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.