Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capitol, Austin, TX [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capitol, Austin, TX [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2009, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by spineangel
I have now switched to the downtown Hilton, when I visit Austin. TONS better, and better room upgrades, bar, restuarant and service. Even though I am losing Starwood points, to me the Hilton there is one of the best Hiltons I have stayed at, and well worth the Starwood point sacrifice.
I couldn't agree more. The Sheraton Austin was fine for one night, but I'm unlikely to darken their door again. Hilton here I come.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
I am at the Sheraton Austin as I am writing this post. I must agree with the previous posters - only stay here if you are on a business trip and ONLY for 1 night at the most! I won't go into all the sordid details - but quite frankly this is one of the worse Sheratons I have been to. Just my opinion!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by jschutz
but quite frankly this is one of the worse Sheratons I have been to. Just my opinion!
You need to get out more!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 6:14 pm
Suspended

I won't go into all the sordid details
"Won't get into the sordid details"??

Isn't that the point of flyertalk (i.e., give specifics of the good and bad of particular airlines, hotel properties, rental car companies, etc.)?

Any other recent reviews to refresh this thread a bit?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
Alright, some of the details. Only 1 elevator (out of 3) was working - and I had to wait as long as 15 minutes on our floor to get down to the lobby - for both days I was there. The hot water in the room sink took at least 10 minutes to just get warm. The restaurant food was mediocre at best, and I'm being kind here. The lobby bar is absolutely devoid of any ambiance whatsoever. You need more?

On the other hand, the Sheraton Lisboa (Portugal) which I stayed at a couple of months ago was absolutely fabulous - a 5 star experience - so not all Sheratons are bad.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:17 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond
its probably the same elevator that was down when we stayed there the first week of January
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:58 am
Suspended

Alright, some of the details. Only 1 elevator (out of 3) was working - and I had to wait as long as 15 minutes on our floor to get down to the lobby - for both days I was there. The hot water in the room sink took at least 10 minutes to just get warm. The restaurant food was mediocre at best, and I'm being kind here. The lobby bar is absolutely devoid of any ambiance whatsoever.
Thank you. Yes, this sounds pretty dreadful.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I have business travel to Austin coming up and my corporate rate is cheaper at the Driskill and Four Seasons, so I am going to stay at the former. Based on the dreadful reviews, I'm not sure why this property charges so much.

Last edited by thepointsguy; Jan 25, 2010 at 11:16 am
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
I've stayed here 3 or 4 times in the last couple of years and haven't really had any problems. There's nothing special about the hotel, but nothing really bad about it either. As mentioned above, the lobby bar is characterless, and I don't think I've ever received an upgrade as a Plat here. However, the rooms have been recently renovated and are fine, and the location is convenient (walking distance to the UT stadium), and the rates I've gotten have been decent.

However, both the Four Seasons and the Driskill are clearly much superior hotels.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by pitbrian
I have business travel to Austin coming up and my corporate rate is cheaper at the Driskill and Four Seasons, so I am going to stay at the former. Based on the dreadful reviews, I'm not sure why this property charges so much.
I hope they have their act together for February when Starwood Lurker hosts a bunch of us for his AUS Mega Do

It's going to be interesting to see how many SPG plats are fighting for that one suite.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:55 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I hope they have their act together for February when Starwood Lurker hosts a bunch of us for his AUS Mega Do
Starwood won't lack for feedback, that's for sure. If I were the property GM, I'd be reading this thread, figuring out what quick improvements I could put in play.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
I have a love/hate relationship with this hotel. I wish they kept the location off of 5th which is now a Hilton Garden Inn. See everyone at the DO. Be sure to sign up for the wineries!
Old Jan 25, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
The problem is that this hotel does a TON of student/educational business. Not as bad during the week but on weekends???? Wow. Good luck getting any sleep! I've never had any *problems* staying there but the property is way tired and the staff beleaguered. If you ask for something they'll *absolutely* try to accommodate you. And if you ask 'em to keep you away from noise sources they do their best as well.

The Driskill is one of my favorite hotels EVER... one of the few places I'll give up *points/nights to stay at a different property.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kanebear
The Driskill is one of my favorite hotels EVER... one of the few places I'll give up *points/nights to stay at a different property.
i know this is a starwood forum, but can you explain why? thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 3:14 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney

It's going to be interesting to see how many SPG plats are fighting for that one suite.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Starwood won't lack for feedback, that's for sure. If I were the property GM, I'd be reading this thread, figuring out what quick improvements I could put in play.
Originally Posted by singtx
I have a love/hate relationship with this hotel. I wish they kept the location off of 5th which is now a Hilton Garden Inn. See everyone at the DO. Be sure to sign up for the wineries!
Message for you from the GM:

As part of the Sheraton Austin's $30-million renovation we had upgraded a
portion of our elevator mechanics as recommended by the manufacturers.
Unfortunately, the upgraded portion of the elevator did not communicate
with the parts that did not need to be replaced. This caused a problem where, for a few weeks, some elevators were not responding properly when called.

Yesterday, we found the missing link and all elevators now come when called! We hope to see everyone at the Do later this month.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.