Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Westin Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:57 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by kluau88
Anyone have any updates or recent stay experiences as Platinum?
May I know what a Platinum status will get in extra for The Westin Langkawi?

On another note, just like most posters here, I've stayed there when it was known as Sheraton Perdana Resort. How time has changed and I was really surprised to see the pictures of the "new" Westin Langkawi. Been wishing to stay here since, but truth be told, the quoted price is too prohibitive for the time being (ie: if I add MYR200 more, I can stay at Pangkor Laut, LOL).

The Westin Langkawi is still on my list, perhaps this year. Hopefully by utilising cash+points for Category 4.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 2:08 am

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Good experience for platinums

Just stayed there a few weeks ago. It a beautiful property but almost too western for my taste. It's very lush and very hip in the new Westin sort of way but lacks some Asian appeal. THe beach is lovely as are the three pool. unfortunately many parents had their kids at the infinity pool while the kiddie pool was just about deserted.

Also be careful of kids in the pool as a source of bacteria contamination. I avoid pools with diapered kids in them in places like SE Asia. At lease once while we were there they closed the pool becuase someone as they put it "dropped a dirty".

Rooms are great and we were upgraded to a suite with a flat panel and DVD player.

THey don't have a club so they offer Platinums access to a special lounge at the Langkawi airport. Since we took boats in and out that did us no good. We asked instead for free breakfast for two days and they let us do that instead.

One word of warning. The hotel food was dreadful. Actually the worst we had in two weeks in Malaysia. There's a beachside cafe where we opted for western food having eaten lots of great local dishes in KL and Georgetown. My wife had Fish and Chips which tasted like the fish was bad. I had a Reuben which was dry, tough corned beef, open face on rock hard bread with unmelted cheese on it. Neither of us ate more than 25% of the food and we later wnet to kuah for better options.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 5:50 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, A-Club Gold
Stayed here last month and it's the most beautiful resort I've stayed in to date. I booked a Garden View room but was upgraded to Ocean View as a SPG Corporate Preferred member.

I made an error with my reservation and instead of booking the Rejuvenate package, I booked BAR. The manager was nice enough to switch my package but I had to pay a peak-period surcharge of RM200 for the 3 nights because of the Ironman competition.

On seeing that I wasn't that "thrilled" with the surcharge, she said she'll talk to her management about it. When I came home after lunch that day, I realized that a floral bath had been prepared in my bath tub. And in the evening, a complimentary bottle of wine was sent to my room - now, that is good service recovery.

Apart from the hotel features (that's available on the website), I thoroughly enjoyed the generous spread at our BBQ dinner and daily breakfast buffet - it was the first time I had a different choice of milk or even saw sparkling wine and cheese at breakfast. The hotel staff were also very friendly and was always ready to help.

Btw, the hotel now offers as low as RM400nett for the Garden View and RM550nett for the Rejuvenate package - which includes a welcome drink, cocktail in the bar, daily buffet breakfast and a BBQ dinner. The only downside is that the BBQ dinner doesn't include drinks and you'll most likely end up ordering wine or champagne. I didn't check out the price because I was allowed to bring my complimentary bottle in.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:29 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Larry, can you tell me how to find those rates and packages? Is there a promo code? Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy AMB/LTE , Diamond HH, SEN LH
Anyone have any updates or recent stay experiences as Platinum?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I stayed and received on demand a Ocean Front Suite for 9 nights.
Free internet in the business center.Every wednesday free cocktails in the Breeze Lounge.
I booked with my American Express card, breakfast was included
Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:11 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Anybody know the difference between these two rooms as they are the same price. I called SPG and the CSR couldn't figure it out.

Room description Partial Sea View From Spacious Private Balcony,42"plasma Tv Size Room 52 Sqm
Room amenities Deluxe Ocean View , Partial Ocean View , Heavenly Bed And Shower , Separate Bath/shower/toilet , Smoking
Room description Direct View Out To Andaman Sea & Landscaped Gardens Spacious Balcony, Room Size 48 Sqm
Room amenities Deluxe Sea Facing , Panoramic Ocean View , Heavenly Bed And Shower , Combined Shower/bath , 42 Inch Plasma Tv
Also, why aren't non-smoking rooms available? The CSR couldn't figure that out as well.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:32 pm
Suspended

The main building consists of 4 wings linked together in a horseshoe shape facing out towards the sea, with the lobby in the middle.

Direct Sea Facing are at the 2 wings to the immediate left and right of the lobby. The bathroom does not have separate shower stall.

Partial Sea View rooms are at the wings beyond (and perpendicular to) the above 2 wings. The view of the sea is at an angle but you get a view of the gardens as well. The bathrooms have separate shower stall.

This resort is basically a "smoking" resort, they allow smoking in the lobby etc While I have not had problems with smell in the rooms, some of the corridors do sometimes reek of ciggarete smell but they do a good job getting rid of them.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by mario33
The main building consists of 4 wings linked together in a horseshoe shape facing out towards the sea, with the lobby in the middle.

Direct Sea Facing are at the 2 wings to the immediate left and right of the lobby. The bathroom does not have separate shower stall.

Partial Sea View rooms are at the wings beyond (and perpendicular to) the above 2 wings. The view of the sea is at an angle but you get a view of the gardens as well. The bathrooms have separate shower stall.

This resort is basically a "smoking" resort, they allow smoking in the lobby etc While I have not had problems with smell in the rooms, some of the corridors do sometimes reek of ciggarete smell but they do a good job getting rid of them.
Thanks for the info, I see what you are saying from the below link. Which room would you say is "better" for a honeymoon?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=17&iwloc=A

Last edited by skunker; Apr 28, 2009 at 9:47 pm
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by skunker
Which room would you say is "better" for a honeymoon?
For a honeymoon, I would go for the beach front villa

While some partial seaview rooms can be quite scenic; with a combination of sea and gardens or sea and forest, the direct seafacing rooms have more consistent views and these rooms used to be priced higher. Its also closer to the lobby (and main restaurant) but as I have mentioned before these rooms do not have separate shower stalls (if thats important to you).
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Anyone who has made a booking at this hotel recieve somethign akin to the following?

Dear PresRDC,

Greetings from The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa.

We acknowledge receipt of your booking _____ and would like to advise that pursuant to the terms & conditions of our guarantee/deposit policy, a deposit of MYR1293.00 (being 1 night room charge/full payment of entire stay) is now due. As credit card bank does allow our hotel to process any online transaction without the cardholder’s signature and consent, we would be grateful if you could kindly complete the attached form and return the same to us via fax no. ++ 603 966 3097 with your signature and last 3 digit security code to enable us to proceed to charge the required deposit to your credit card.

We look forward to welcoming you to our little paradise. Please do not hesitate to let me know if I may be of any assistance prior to your arrival.
Nowhere on the reservation I made through spg.com does it indicate any requirement for a deposit. Based on comments above re. the attitude of the management, this seems to me like an opportunistic money grab.

Before I tell them where they can shove their deposit, I wanted to know if anyone else has gotten an e-mail like this.

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2009, 10:17 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by PresRDC
...Nowhere on the reservation I made through spg.com does it indicate any requirement for a deposit...
If your reservation did not have a deposit requirement, I would contact Corporate Customer Service to dispute this. You can reach them via phone at 800-328-6242 or via email at [email protected].

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by mario33
For a honeymoon, I would go for the beach front villa
I wish I could afford it, but I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the information!
Old Jun 5, 2009, 8:06 pm

Upgrades with points?

If I were to book a room under a package (Love Indulge), would I be able to upgrade to a suite using 10k points? What's the upgrade from a Deluxe Ocean View room for 1000-1500 points?

FYI: Right now the 1-room villas are going for less than 50% of the normal cost.
Villa Getaway from RM1800
Escape to a realm of paradise and discover the luxurious haven that Westin Langkawi has got to offer. We provide endless possibilities and create dreams that will never be forgotten by you, your partner or your family.

* Stay in the luxurious 1 bedroom villa complete with private infinity pool
* Daily American breakfasts for two persons in villa or buffet breakfast at Taste
* Welcome Deluxe fruit platter upon check in
* Complimentary a bottle of wine upon check in
* Complimentary usage of i-pod player
* Complimentary 30 minutes massage treatment for one person within 24 hours of arrival
* Welcome elixir drinks and cold towel
* Complimentary 1 cocktail or mocktail of the day during Unwind Hour (for 2 persons)
* Complimentaty usage of Westin Airport Lounge for 2 persons (inclusive of drinks and snacks only)
* Villa Host Services for 24 hours
* Complimentary usage of high speed internet services

Rate starting from RM1800 for Ocean View Villa and offer valid until December 20, 2009
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Anyone who has made a booking at this hotel recieve somethign akin to the following?

Nowhere on the reservation I made through spg.com does it indicate any requirement for a deposit. Based on comments above re. the attitude of the management, this seems to me like an opportunistic money grab.

Before I tell them where they can shove their deposit, I wanted to know if anyone else has gotten an e-mail like this.

Thanks!
I received the following email today for a reservation in October, at least they only wanted one night deposit from you.
Dear skunker
Greetings from The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa.
We acknowledge receipt of your booking and would like to advise that pursuant to the terms & conditions of our guarantee/deposit policy, a deposit of MYR3,352.00 (being full payment of entire stay). As credit card bank does allow our hotel to process any online transaction without the cardholder’s signature and consent, we would be grateful if you could kindly complete the attached form and return the same to us via fax no. ++ 604 966 3097 with your signature and security code to enable us to proceed to charge the required deposit to your credit card.

We look forward to welcoming you to our little paradise. Please do not hesitate to let me know if I may be of any assistance prior to your arrival.
I booked via spg.com and entered CC info; however my confirmation states:
MYR 3,352.00 deposit is due on Wed, Sep 23, 2009 and will be charged to the credit card provided.
If you cancel before 04:00 PM on Wednesday, 23 September 2009 there will be no forfeit amount.
If you cancel after 04:00 PM on Wednesday, 23 September 2009 the forfeiture amount will be 3,352.00.
Room taxes are included with deposits and any penalties.
I'm not going to forward my CC info, but I think someone from Starwood Corporate should do something about it.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 2:50 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by skunker
I received the following email today for a reservation in October, at least they only wanted one night deposit from you.

I booked via spg.com and entered CC info; however my confirmation states:

I'm not going to forward my CC info, but I think someone from Starwood Corporate should do something about it.
Hi skunker,

Not sure if you are upset that the property has sent you an email much earlier than the deadline or the fact that you would need to pay a deposit for your upcoming stay.

If it is the first situation, you may like to contact Corporate Care immediately to bring the issue up.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.