Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Yes, this was delayed from a bigger renovation originally planned in 2013! My expectation is that Marriott will encourage this refurbishment and further renovation/refurbishment for the rest of the property.

There also was a rumor back in 2013 that one of the towers was to be converted to a St. Regis hotel. One wonders with Marriott's takeover and another Ritz-Carlton property not too distant whether Marriott might want to see that tower conversion become a W hotel instead. That also would be less expensive for the owner. Time will tell...but I'd love to see a W or St. Regis tower in Honolulu if that comes to pass.
I'd like to see a tower become a Le Meridien. I think that brand would also fit nicely between the Westin and the Ritz. Either way, I'm sure the Mormons will push for some redevelopment sooner than before.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Yes, this was delayed from a bigger renovation originally planned in 2013! My expectation is that Marriott will encourage this refurbishment and further renovation/refurbishment for the rest of the property.

There also was a rumor back in 2013 that one of the towers was to be converted to a St. Regis hotel. One wonders with Marriott's takeover and another Ritz-Carlton property not too distant whether Marriott might want to see that tower conversion become a W hotel instead. That also would be less expensive for the owner. Time will tell...but I'd love to see a W or St. Regis tower in Honolulu if that comes to pass.
Is the renovation complete?

I'm debating staying either here or the Sheraton Waikiki for a short stay in a few weeks. Wasn't too happy with the Sheraton last time, as the room felt really dated and needed to be modernized, but the lounge was really good.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:10 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The redevelopment of the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani will begin in 2019, apparently:

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/...-kaiulani.html
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Not a full review, but a few observations from my recent stay:

1. horrible service in the SPG elite line on each of 3 occasions I used it. Agents at the desk literally ignored me each time and continued what they were doing, which on at least one occasion was clearly personal gossip. On 2 occasions, I was eventually called over to the regular desk, and on the third I was eventually helped.

2. upon checkin, I got breakfast certs and a free appetizer cert for the poolside bar. Not sure why I got these, and I didn't want to ask AFAIK, they were not part of my contracted rate. If I had to guess, the breakfast was part of my rate but I was just unaware, and the appetizer was because of my Platinum status. Chicken wings at the bar were actually quite good, so a win there.

3. room was upgraded to an ocean view on a high floor. But it was a TINY room. There was a tiny desk with chair, but no separate seating area. I'm used to having a little couch or separate chair, which is handy to sit on or drape clothes, etc. on.

4. I did have a refrigerator and in-room safe. Much appreciated.

5. I was able to have the WSJ and local paper (which includes the HI version of USA Today) reliably delivered each day of my stay.

6. the rooms had NO glass glasses...only disposable plastic. I really would have preferred glass.

7. I thought the room itself was fine, but the bathroom was clearly dated, and in need of work. Cracked tile, rusty fixtures, etc.

8. exercise room has nice equipment, but is a weird setup...it is an area carved out on what appears to be an area intended for conferences/gathering. It is walled off from this area with a half-height wall. It is NOT well cooled at all. There are fans in there, but it still got pretty toasty. It does overlook the pool, which is nice I guess. On some nights, you can hear the indoor luau while you exercise.

9. breakfast buffet was adequate but nothing special.

10. rental cars from Budget and Hertz are available directly across the street at the Hyatt. Very convenient. However, the Hertz location SUCKS. Huge lines, and despite advertising Gold service, I saw no evidence of this (aside from the branded rental folder).

I would stay again if I needed to and it had my special rate available. However, I'd much, much rather stay at the Sheraton Waikiki, or try the Moana Surfrider or even try the Laylow. I'd put it approximately on par with the Marriott Waikiki, overall.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:41 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
On a recent stay as a Platinum, it seems some work has gone into updating some of the rooms a bit -- I was upgraded to what the front desk called a suite, which is really more of a junior suite at best (just a big room), but the furnishings in the room were clearly all new, and it appeared the lighting and floor had recently been redone and new wallpaper installed. The furnishings seemed very upscale and reminded me a lot of the very nicely recently renovated Sheraton Grand Park Lane in London.

However, apparently the renovations stopped at the bedroom, because the bathroom was still very much stuck in the 1970s. It was clean, and not actually in bad condition exactly, but just very, very old. The wet bar area by the room entrance was similarly very old fashioned, including an ancient mini-fridge. And most public areas of the hotel are threadbare.

If there is still a plan to knock down the hotel sometime soon maybe that explains the lack of attention to many areas, but I don't really understand why they would put what seems like a lot of effort into updating the bedrooms then.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Wrote a lengthy review and computer froze up and it was lost in cyberspace

Key highlights :

Very similar experience to scottmlew - upgraded to room on 29th floor with ocean view, but it was tiny. Just myself on this trip so fine.

- Breakfast buffet was pretty good (but not worth $28 without the coupon).
- Coffee in room was not very good (contained 10% Kona coffee )
- Only TV station not working was CNN (add your own Trump joke here as required..)
- Small plate coupon for pool bar was used for wings and added a side of pork sliders - both very tasty as lunch option paired with $5 local brews during "Happy Day" (the hour actually runs from 11am to 6pm)
-Water from tap is very heavily chlorinated and tastes awful - use the bottled water in room to brush teeth - can be refilled in lobby with potable water bottle refilling station
- Pool is good - no issues getting chairs or fresh towels
- Taxi from airport was actually $38 (not $30 as site says) and shuttle at $32 round trip would be fine but website quoted me a 2 hour trip from the airport (only 30 minutes away). Booked an uber on return for $25.

CC
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Is is true that the resort fee no longer includes self-parking?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:43 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by puchalskir
Is is true that the resort fee no longer includes self-parking?
Correct, no longer included. And self parking is really expensive, I think $30 or more a night IIRC?

Note that for Platinums and possibly also for Golds, not sure, the Moana Surfrider offers valet for $15 a night. (For non-SPG elites it is more expensive.)
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
Correct, no longer included. And self parking is really expensive, I think $30 or more a night IIRC?

Note that for Platinums and possibly also for Golds, not sure, the Moana Surfrider offers valet for $15 a night. (For non-SPG elites it is more expensive.)
I didn't mind that resort fee when it included parking, now it's as useless as most resort fees. I have to check out the valet at the MS.
Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:37 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by puchalskir
I didn't mind that resort fee when it included parking, now it's as useless as most resort fees. I have to check out the valet at the MS.
Thanks.
Actually scratch that. I could swear when I was here earlier this year the Moana charged $15 but today I checked out and the bill had “Gold/Platinum valet” for $30 a night. I think there is a self park option (at the Princess’s garage across the street) for less at the Moana as well.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by bgriff
Actually scratch that. I could swear when I was here earlier this year the Moana charged $15 but today I checked out and the bill had “Gold/Platinum valet” for $30 a night. I think there is a self park option (at the Princess’s garage across the street) for less at the Moana as well.
Wrong thread, perhaps, but when self-parking was included in the Moana's resort fee there was an option to pay $15 additional for valet parking. This same option might have been available to PK guests, but I can't imagine why anyone would valet at the PK, since the parking structure is right there.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:01 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by clublounger
Wrong thread, perhaps, but when self-parking was included in the Moana's resort fee there was an option to pay $15 additional for valet parking. This same option might have been available to PK guests, but I can't imagine why anyone would valet at the PK, since the parking structure is right there.
As of my PK stay a couple of months ago the PK no longer offers valet.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Has anyone got successful in waiving the resort fees at this property?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: United 1K, 2 Million Mile member, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Has anyone got successful in waiving the resort fees at this property?
Bumping this. Does anyone know if the resort fee is waived for Platinum guests? Trying to decide if I should prepay or not.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I was told no when I took a walk over there in Feb (wasn't staying at the hotel).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.