Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

The Westin La Cantera Resort , San Antonio, TX [Master Thread] LEAVES STARWOOD 11 Dec

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin La Cantera Resort , San Antonio, TX [Master Thread] LEAVES STARWOOD 11 Dec

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 1:53 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Arrow The Westin La Cantera Resort , San Antonio, TX [Master Thread] LEAVES STARWOOD 11 Dec

I tried to search for some info about this hotel as I'm staying there next week. Nada.

Does any members have experience with this property?

Plat upgrades? Exec floor? Parking, is it free? How long does it take to drive to SAT airport?

I also wonder what the USD 10 resort fee they charge covers?

Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2007, 2:07 pm

I now live in SAT, so it has been 4 years since I have stayed there, but visit often due to guest in town.

Plat upgrade is normally to starwood room above pool, big shared terrace, and larger room. Bad side is that during the summer, when the grill is open, it can smell like a hot dog stand in your room. If you stay there often or they are in a good mood, they will upgrade you to various suites throughout the property or the casitas.

Airport to hotel. Depends on which way you go. I would suggest 1604 west to Military Drive south to 410 west to airport exit. About 20 to 30 minutes depending on traffic. Do not speed on Military Hwy. Lots of cops who will pull you over for 1 mph over.

Property is very nice. Big plus if you are golfer.

Also by 6 Flags Fiesta Texas (seasonal) and a new Mall (La Canterra) with upscale shops (think Niemans).

I valet, so there was a charge. But if you do not mind walking, you could park in front of the 19th hole and walk up the hill which would be free.

No Exec floor
Old Jan 4, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by tommy777
I tried to search for some info about this hotel as I'm staying there next week. Nada.

Does any members have experience with this property?

Plat upgrades? Exec floor? Parking, is it free? How long does it take to drive to SAT airport?

I also wonder what the USD 10 resort fee they charge covers?

Thanks
I have stayed there a few times and I really like the property. It's not really close to downtown but there is a nice mall very close to the resort. The least you should get as a platinum upgrade is access to the club lounge. The lounge is very nice and they offer some really nice hot and cold appetizers and free alcohol. If you like to golf the have two very nice courses on the property.

Parking is free unless you valet. The parking is fairly close to the hotel and I would probably park myself as valet isn't cheap.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 2:33 pm

I was just there staying with points, once at the end of November and then again last week. Beautiful property. As a Platinum I was upgraded to the Casitas area. This is separate from the hotel with the section has its own small pool and hot tub. It was very nice. They even give you your own golf cart to get to the hotel. The terrace at the back of the room was very secluded and private. Quite a peaceful setting away from the main hotel. My wife and I love it even though there is not that much to do near the hotel besides the Shops at La Cantera and Fiesta Texas (currently losed for the winter).

You also get to use the executive lounge as described. They serve breakfast ín the morning (egg tacos, pastries, cereal) and appetizers and drinks in the evening (5-7 pm). The lounge gets pretty crowded and there seem to be quite a lot of kids there. Get there early if you want to find a seat. Last time a couple of guests came out in PJ's and bathrobes as if it was their own den at home. There were a few others just reading which seemed inappropriate given how crowded it was and that there was no room for some guests to sit down. The food is good and the servers are friendly. The room is not that small but definitely not adequate for the number of people that come to it. Maybe it was unsusually crowded because of the holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks when I was there).

I don't know what the $10 covers. I do know that internet access is extra!
Old Jan 4, 2007, 3:14 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by emuyshondt
...I don't know what the $10 covers. I do know that internet access is extra!
According to internal data, it covers no charge for local phone calls, no access charges to make credit card/800# calls, use of health club facility and tennis courts, shuttle service within the resort to the Palmer Course and the Six Flags theme park.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jan 4, 2007, 4:21 pm

Let's see:

I have a cell phone with no long distance or roaming charges, I don't play golf, Fiesta Texas closes from around October to March. Good value for me!

I don't understand why resorts have a separate resort fee. Why isn't the cost of these amenities just part of the room rate?
Old Jan 4, 2007, 5:35 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by gleff
I seem to recall the State of Florida asking that very question....
No, I think rather that the State of Florida was concerned that people were not being sufficiently advised that there was a resort fee. At least that is the way I remember it.

As usual, trying to be helpful here at Flyertalk does not win me any friends or influence anyone to do anything but kick sand in my face.

However, if it was me and I was asked to pay a resort fee and did not intend to use any of the services provided, I would just tell the manager on duty when I checked in that I expected to have the charges waived. @:-)

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jan 5, 2007, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I had a terrible experience at this hotel about two years ago, but not as a guest per se. I had my client conference there and experienced the absolute worst service from a convention standpoint I've ever seen. Inattentiveness, MIA conference concierge's, theft from our exhibit room...amazing.

One of my co-workers was put in one of the casitas. For the first two nights he had the neighbor on the other side of the door blasting the TV and hotel staff would not rectify it. On the third night he came to the room and was greeted by buckets and mops and an empty room. There had been a leak and they started to clean it up but stopped and had to relocate the guest.

For my two stays there I got to experience the wonderful smells of sewer problems.

Beautiful hotel and I doubt you'll have the problems I did...at least I hope not.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I was considering the Westin and also the Hyatt Hill Country for a meeting in March. I know this is slightly OT for the *W forum but can anyone comment on the differences between the two.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by christianj
I was considering the Westin and also the Hyatt Hill Country for a meeting in March. I know this is slightly OT for the *W forum but can anyone comment on the differences between the two.
I assume you read my post above yours on my experience with a meeting of around 100 people. I'll never take anyone of importance there again personally.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by dingo
I assume you read my post above yours on my experience with a meeting of around 100 people. I'll never take anyone of importance there again personally.
I would just be there with 5 other people and we usually do our meetings out by the pool or find a quite seating area somewhere. No formal meeting here with any big requirements. More of a casual sort of warm destination bonus meeting for my sales people!
Old Jan 5, 2007, 1:06 pm

Westin is newer and nicer than Hyatt and is located better. Hyatt has a nicer pool where you can tube.

Around the Hyatt you only have Sea World, plus you have to traverse the west side to get downtown. Confusing and potentially dangerous for a tourist.

Hyatt is also flatter topography than the Westin. Westin is built on top of a hill.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 4:03 pm

Programs: CO Plat(soon Premier Gold) PC lifetime(UC Life?) SPG Plat(Soon Gold)
I stayed here 2-3 times a year in the past few years. All on weekend, and always get upgraded to Royal Hacienda Club room (where club lounge is located), except for a reservation with specific view (which was pool view - no RHC room has pool view).

They usually send an upgrade notice by email 2-3 days prior to arrival date.

Great for golfers, also great for family in Summer - they offer free smores at pool side in the evening (8 pm ?)
Old Jan 6, 2007, 5:27 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PforPlatinum
I stayed here 2-3 times a year in the past few years. All on weekend, and always get upgraded to Royal Hacienda Club room (where club lounge is located), except for a reservation with specific view (which was pool view - no RHC room has pool view).

Great for golfers, also great for family in Summer - they offer free smores at pool side in the evening (8 pm ?)
We were upgraded for a week stay. Rather nice. Smores are only on Fridays. They play movies at night on the weekdays, by the pool. You can also watch the fireworks from six flags in the exec lounge. Overall a great get away.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 4:34 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Thank you, William. ^

Got this e-mail today:

Dear Mr. 777,

Thank you for booking a reservation with us here at the Westin La Cantera Resort in San Antonio, Texas! We are looking forward to your arrival on 01.15.07. As a concierge on the Royal Hacienda Club Floor, I wanted to extend to you as a Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum Member, our services if you would need any assistance with your travel plans, suggestions for dining, and/or activities in advance or while you are staying in San Antonio. Please feel free to contact us, we will be more that happy to assist you. The Royal Hacienda Concierge is available to you 6a-10p, Monday through Sunday and our phone numbers and email address are listed below. Again, we are looking forward to your arrival at the Westin La Cantera Resort and looking forward to seeing you on the Royal Hacienda Floor.

Sincerely,

Jessica Royal Hacienda Concierge

Westin La Cantera Resort

16641 La Cantera Parkway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.