Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Universal, Los Angeles area [Master Thread]

Sheraton Universal, Los Angeles area [Master Thread]

Old Dec 28, 2006, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Can't say anything about the parade (I hate parades and don't go), but wouldn't Pasadena be a better location? As to the Sheraton at UC, that's the only Starwood I've ever walked away from. I arrived late and was told they either had a themed smoking room with two double beds, or a king in the basement. Well, after walking through sopping wet carpets to the back corner of the basement, I discovered that the room had one double bed, and no real closet. I went to the Hilton next door, and will never stay at the Sheraton again. Had I been Platinum at the time, not just Gold, I probably would have insisted that they walk me, or reduce my rate substantially, as they didn't have the room they guaranteed me.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Stay at Westin Pasadena. It is about 2 blocks away from Rose Parade route...although the hotel is most likely sold out by now.

Also, be aware that many streets will be shut down and there will be nowhere to park. My complex in Pasadena handed out notices that they hired security guards to stand by the entrance on Dec 31 and Jan 1st to allow only those cars with license plates matching registered records with my property

You might want to take the metro to Pasadena instead. However, people usually start lining up on Colorado Blvd on Dec 31. You will not be able to stand on Colorado Blvd unless you have a claimed spot or you pay $60 for a seat in the bleechers.

I don't know if this is such a good idea for an 80 yo lady
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:09 am

Programs: American Airlines, starwood
2 Easters ago we stayed at the Sheraton Universal. We are just gold, and did not get an upgraded room, however they did give us club access. We were just expecting rolls and coffee for breakfast in the club lounge, but what a pleasant surprise we had! They had a full breakfast, which was good. They also had a great cappacino machine which you could use any time. All soft drinks were also on the house. In the evening they had good appetizers which was plenty for dinner even for my husband. Now this was 2 plus years ago, I don't know how the club lounge is now. Anyhow with a family of 4 the club lounge access saved us a nice chunk of $$!

The drive to Mann's theater( with all of the stars footprints are, and walk of fame ) is about a 20 min. drive through town.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:40 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Stayed at the Sheraton Universal for a conference last year, and -- on my first night -- was disgusted to step out of bed and nearly step on a used condom on the floor at the edge of the bed skirt. As it was 2am, I found a way of disposing of it without touching it.

In the morning, I told management that housekeeping hadn't done a very good job (to say nothing of the previous guests). I got a half-hearted "we'll tell housekeeping." No apology, even as a Plat (though anyone should have received one).

Personally, I'd never stay there again. Any other Starwood property in the area is preferable.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA1K, SPG Platinum
Westin Pasadena or the Sheraton Pasadena are definitely your best bets if you want to be close to the parade. Although, I know the room rates will be fairly high for the parade, if you can still get one.

If you can't get a room in Pasadena, Sheraton Universal is probably your next closest option. Have stayed there about 4 times this past year. I'm not over thrilled with the hotel, but it should do. The lounge is fairly good for breakfast, which includes eggs, etc. on the hot buffet. However, it's a tourist hotel - lots of families, leisure travelers, etc. Not best for a business trip, but you'll be with your family, so should do. As a Plat I've always received an upgrade to a suite, which has been nice. But still, the hotel is in need of a renovation. The good point though is it's location. If you're not familiar with LA and want to get around to the sights, it's probably the best spg property in terms of central location and a relatively easy commute to Pasadena. Definitely a better choice than staying at LAX.

Hope this info helps!
Old Dec 29, 2006, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
And if you can't get a room at the Sheraton or Westin in Pasadena, why not stay downtown? It's a pretty quick hop from there too (though less direct) and chances are it will suck less.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Post 2008 renovation

Any recent experiences? How is the renovated room? Does the lounge open during the weekend? TIA.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 5:15 pm

I've been working on a project in Hollywood and have been staying there for a couple of months... the renovation is fantastic, kind of art deco and I find it lovely and airy. The club lounge is open every day AFAIK and has a decent continental breakfast and cheese/crudites and a hot nibble in the afternoon, although you have to pay for the alcohol.

The best thing about it though is the staff, who have kept us very happy over our extended stay. I like it a lot.
Old May 24, 2009, 4:46 pm

I agree

My recent stays here have been very pleasant. As a Plat, I'm usually upgraded to an Executive Suite (which seems like a Junior Suite--no separate room). Last time I checked out a Poolside room with a (small) balcony. The suite was better. My biggest gripe is there is no free Wifi in the lobby, unlike most other Sheratons which have installed the "Link@" stations.
Old May 24, 2009, 5:03 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
I stayed there a couple months ago and liked it very much as well. I got an Executive Suite upgrade, which was just a really big room with a sitting area and a nice view of Studio City and the Hollywood Hills. The Club Lounge had a decent spread in the evening; no hot items but a nice platter of cold cuts and cheeses and a varietly of breads to make a nice sandwich. Breakfast was typical continental.

There is a link@Sheraton installed in the rear of the lobby. Did not try the WiFi.
Old May 24, 2009, 6:11 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Great Stay

Stayed there last week. Platinum upgrade to an Executive suite. The manager sent me a great bottle of wine and a large fruit and cheese tray.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC SE, Alaska MVP Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond
Stayed here for one night last week, and was very impressed with the recently-renovated rooms. Slightly small, but very modern looking (unlike most Sheraton properties I've stayed at) with flat screen TV, Ipod clock radio and Bliss bath products. Location was convenient to Universal, and a 5 minute walk from the red-line subway station. Common areas also fairly nice, and a very nice Link@Sheraton setup in the lobby. Overall, I'd say the Sheraton Universal was the best of 4 *Wood properties we stayed in the LA area on this trip (Westin LAX, Sheraton Downtown, Westin Bonaventure)
Old Jun 10, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC SE, Alaska MVP Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond
Also took a few pictures in case anyone is interested (they didn't really turn out very well though

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...universal.html
Old Jun 10, 2009, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by ysbyvr
Also took a few pictures in case anyone is interested (they didn't really turn out very well though

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...universal.html
Thanks for the pics!
Old Jul 15, 2009, 4:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Stayed here last week. Didn't get upgraded (plat status) but I had a nice room on a Starwood floor. Had some frustration coz someone at the front desk told me that I could get free wifi in the club lounge which turned out not to be true. But a front desk manager gave me free wifi for the day to make up for the miscommunication and 20 mins of back and forth with guest relations and engineering. The gym is really nice and well equipped and generally speaking I was pleased with the service and the way the hotel was set up. My only quibble is that considering the size of the club lounge and hotel, I would've expected a slightly better spread for breakfast and evening appetizers. It wasn't bad, just a little lacking. I've seen better at smaller hotels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.