Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

ITC Maurya Delhi, India [Master Thread]

ITC Maurya Delhi, India [Master Thread]

Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Thumbs up Pictures and Review of the truly 5* ITT Sheraton Maurya hotel &Towers

See for pictures of this hotel: http://www.e-traveller.net/pics/2005...-ITCMaurya.php
See for pictures of other Starwood hotels: http://www.e-traveller.net/pics/hotel.php
Thanks to the help of LH738!

Transfer:
Though my flight had a delay of one hour, upon arrival the chauffeur of the hotel was waiting for me. The road was busy and there was a lot of hooting of the cars……. Around midnight!

Check-in:
Was not so smoothly. When I asked if there would be an upgrade they took some time to sort it out. But finally I was upgraded to a Towersroom. I had made reservations for a executive room and a few nights, after my trip to the Sheraton Mughal in Agra, for a Towersroom.
The first room on a lower floor had a view of the parking lot. I asked for a higher floor for a better view and it seemed to be available.

The butler was very friendly and service minded. He explained the ins and outs of the service, the room etc. and gave me suggestions concerning my trips.

The room was fine, nice interior, two chairs, a workingarea , and had a marble bathroom. The bed was queen size, seemed a little hard at first but appeared to be very comfortable. In the room was complimentary fruit ( apples), bottled natural water and a small box of chocolates which tasted very good.

The next morning the view appeared somewhat disappointing, see my pics. Since there was a fog, I could not see the city of Delhi. Only the houses directly behind the hotel, at first interesting but later on rather a bit depressing…
So, I asked for a room with a nicer view, and yep the hotel gave me a room with a better view! The personnel was very friendly and took care of it, and I was a very happy guest indeed.

The Tower lounge is one of the most comfortable lounges I have ever visited. The interior is luxurious and comfortable. Butlers in spotless white uniforms serve during the day coffee and tea. There are some complimentary small sweets / cakes. Personnel is very friendly and attentive. During the happy hour you can order alcoholic drinks. They serve nice warm snacks (chicken nuggets f.i. ) with it, nuts and chips.

In the morning the lounge has a separate restaurant, where continental breakfast is served. The breakfastbuffet is somewhat limited and the croissants are rather “tres petite”, but the taste is very good.
You can always order a la carte, and the waffles are very tasteful and crisp. After the first time, the personnel remembered my favourites and served what I liked, cappuccino, waffles and some pancakes! What a way to start your day!
In general you find business men in the lounge. From the loudness of speaking, it was clear to me some Americans were here: One of them was very loud in his manners, and he was not content with the food which was served to him. The personnel however was very professional to him, I think that I would have been not so patient with him….
The lounge was not very busy in the period I was there ( 28th of December – 5th of January), I was told the lounge was rather busy during the rest of the year.

In the evenings I had very interesting conversations / discussions with the supervisor / manager of the towerlounge, mr. Brit M Razdan. A nice way to talk about culture, society and politics.
There was also a trainee in the lounge, mr. S.K Shafique. I was very impressed with his way of serving people and noticed he had to work very long hours. I did not have a clue he was a trainee however, since he appeared to have the right natural attitude towards guests!

The Towers has its own separate building, and the interior of the lobby and reception appear to be rather luxury. Receptionists were in general very friendly. However concerning an extension of my stay, an evening due to a late departure, they did not understand my questions towards the amount of SPG points (8500)for those few hours. I was somewhat confused because I had to ask them three times and every time they said they would look into this matter…… but still they did not answer my questions.

I did have a nice meeting with the manager of the Towers, mr. Rakesh Puri, because I had asked for another room with a view after my arrival. He gave me suggestions for my trip to Agra and made sure my stay in the Sheraton Mughal would be comfortable and would have a room with a view! And indeed, comfortable it was!

There are many restaurants in the hotel, f.i. the 24 hour restaurant the Pavillion. In the evening they serve buffets, but it is also possible to order a la carte.
The Indian restaurant, Bukhara, where president Clinton had some dinner, was always fully booked. I was so lucky that the supervisor of the Tower lounge made reservations for me. I had high expectations, the food was of good quality, but the service became lousy when many guests came walking in. I had to ask many times before I could order something. And when I did, the man did not seem to take it seriously since he just went on doing other things. Honestly, I felt rather lost here and was quite disappointed by the quality of this restaurant which appeared to have won several awards.

The hotel has a beautiful swimming pool and a well kept garden. In the health club you can have one of the most relaxing massages possible: Ayurvedic. It was really great. It is based on very old Indian techniques. After the massage you go to the steam bath and after that they put some sort of powder on your skin. Finally you have to shower it off. Prices are very economic compared to European standards. I can recommend it to everyone.
Besides the massage you can have a sauna, steam bath or sit in the whirlpool.
There is a small fitness area with a limited variation of machines to have a work out. (See my pics. )
Personnel is very friendly and helpful.

The interior of the hotel is in some areas artistic, f.i. the beautiful ceiling of the lobby ( see my pics) and the colorful glass stained windows.

The hotel has two large shopping arcades. Some of the shop owners can be a little bit pushy however.

Making arrangements for a trip is very easy via the concierge. In general all personnel were friendly. But mr. Rahul did a good job for me when he arranged my trip to Agra, gave me valuable advice concerning my transportation. F.i. when I proposed to fly to Agra he notice the delays due to the fog and the distance between the airport and Agra. He appeared to be very reliable, friendly and service minded.

All in all my stay was way above my expectations.
Reading the reviews on the site of Flyertalk I was not sure if I would like to stay here. Before my flight to Delhi I noticed the addresses of other hotels as the Oberoi and Taj hotels, so I could seek refuge to those hotels.
But it appeared not necessary at all.
I did have a peek into the executive rooms and they seemed to be very comfortable too. They are just somewhat smaller. The view from these rooms seemed to be better than from the Towers.

It seems rather strange that guests can have such extreme different experiences in a hotel, referring to the negative reviews at Flyertalk.
The ITT Sheraton Maurya hotel became one of my favourite hotels and I can recommend this hotel to everyone. I had a wonderful stay here and I will always remember the friendliness of the personnel. I do hope to come back soon so I can enjoy my stay here again, and again and……

See for pictures of this hotel: http://www.e-traveller.net/pics/2005...-ITCMaurya.php
See for pictures of other Starwood hotels: http://www.e-traveller.net/pics/hotel.php
Thanks to the help of LH738!
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:01 pm

There are no suites in the Tower. So one of the stays they gave me a Towers room and the next stay they gave me a suite in the Main Building and full access to the Towers Lounge for all 3 of us--my daughter stayed one night with us on the second visit. She was there all the time during the first one. So it was a great experience.
I did not understand the 8500 points issue--did they charge you that much extra for a few hours stay??? We were given a 6PM check out without any problems.
I, too, wasn't impressed by the BUkhara-- I found the buffet excellent and great value.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ac777
I did not understand the 8500 points issue--did they charge you that much extra for a few hours stay??? We were given a 6PM check out without any problems.
Perhaps I have to explain. I wanted to stay until 10:15 pm, since my flight was at 0130 am. According to the reception I had to call SPG myself. The SPG told me that the hotel changed from a cat 2 to cat 3 hotel and so they charged me 8500. SPG would call the dutymanager of the hotel and ask him/her if they could charge me 5000 SPG ( the cat2 ).
When asking the reception for information, they did not know, would look into the matter, they would charge me nothing, etc. However they offered me the room for $245,--. Since I tought that was to much, I wanted to use my points.
At home I saw they charged me 8500 SPG points. However I have contacted the manager concerning this matter!
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by claes059
Perhaps I have to explain. I wanted to stay until 10:15 pm, since my flight was at 0130 am. According to the reception I had to call SPG myself. The SPG told me that the hotel changed from a cat 2 to cat 3 hotel and so they charged me 8500. SPG would call the dutymanager of the hotel and ask him/her if they could charge me 5000 SPG ( the cat2 ).
When asking the reception for information, they did not know, would look into the matter, they would charge me nothing, etc. However they offered me the room for $245,--. Since I tought that was to much, I wanted to use my points.
At home I saw they charged me 8500 SPG points. However I have contacted the manager concerning this matter!
Did you know that Sheraton has a lounge at the Delhi airport which is complimentary to the guests? ( unless of course they have closed it) Worth checking it out in fututre.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ac777
Did you know that Sheraton has a lounge at the Delhi airport which is complimentary to the guests? ( unless of course they have closed it) Worth checking it out in fututre.
When I was at the airport I discovered it! According to the personnel I needed to have a voucher to acces the lounge. They told me there were no connections with the ITT Sheraton hotels, however I did see a lot of information concerning the hotels in the lounge.....
they let me enter the lounge, just for courtesy......, when I showed them my reservation details,
It would be a good alternative for the future! I have to check it out in the ITT Sheraton Mauyra hotel.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Smile

[QUOTE=ac777]I did not understand the 8500 points issue--did they charge you that much extra for a few hours stay??? We were given a 6PM check out without any problems.
QUOTE]

I have received an email from the hotel, they will credit me 3000 SPG points, as a special favour. That is, they charged me the hours in the evening in my room for the cat 2 hotel, which was the case when I booked my stay in the hotel.
Very professional! this attitude of the Sheraton Maurya regarding loyal SPG's! :-: :-: :-: :-: :-:
Old Feb 26, 2006, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Pics&Review: Outstanding stay on New Executive floor ITC Sheraton Maurya hotel and To

My second stay in this hotel was in a new executive room on the beautiful new executive floor. I had a second wonderful stay here:

- on time and convenient transfers to and from airport
- new executive room upgrade
- nice executive lounge
- one of the best Tower lounges
- great food
- friendly service
- one of the best ayurvedic massage
etc.

for my review see:

Pictures:

http://www.e-traveller.net/tikiV5/ti...ratonMaurya_01

and the additional page
http://www.e-traveller.net/tikiV5/ti...onMaurya_01pic

(With the help of LH738)

Last edited by claes059; Feb 27, 2006 at 2:20 pm
Old Feb 26, 2006, 5:41 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

A very nice and detailed report.

The pictures look really nice, the interior of the room seems to be quite modern, while the Lounge looked a way more traditional (colonial ?) styled.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
A very nice and detailed report.

The pictures look really nice, the interior of the room seems to be quite modern, while the Lounge looked a way more traditional (colonial ?) styled.

Thanks.
That is correct, the Executive Lounge is located on a different floor which is not renovated! I do not know if they will renovate the Executive Lounge.
I still prefer the Tower Lounge, with excellent butlerservice and with much privacy. Interior of the Towerlounge is also very nice...
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:50 pm

Outstanding picture report! You have quite a comprehensive "picture gallery". Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2006, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HansHuckebein
Outstanding picture report! You have quite a comprehensive "picture gallery". Thanks!

Thank you, you're welcome! Hope you like the new layout of the review, made with the help of LH738.

Now you can choose if you want more pictures / more information concerning the hotel, when you follow the links at the end of the review.
'
Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott plat, DL Diamond
I haven't been to Delhi for awhile. How was the air. I once walked between the Taj and the Sheraton and the air was so polluted that you could hardly see 20 feet ahead... It's good to hear that they are putting some money back into place.. They've take enough over the years...
Old May 5, 2006, 3:49 am

Programs: SQ G, Hyatt D, Shangri-La G, Hilton G, Marriott G, IC PrCl G
My second stay in this hotel was in a new executive room on the beautiful new executive floor. I had a second wonderful stay here:
Thanks for the review and the pics.

I've got an upcoming stay at the Maurya Sheraton next week at an Executive Club room. Just a point of clarification: is this automatically the "new" room that you mentioned, or, is there an old set of rooms as well (in which case I'll pointedly ask for the new ones during check-in)?

Your comments appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 5, 2006, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LightSpeed
Thanks for the review and the pics.

I've got an upcoming stay at the Maurya Sheraton next week at an Executive Club room. Just a point of clarification: is this automatically the "new" room that you mentioned, or, is there an old set of rooms as well (in which case I'll pointedly ask for the new ones during check-in)?

Your comments appreciated. Thanks.
You're welcome!

I was in the Maurya in December 2005. They just finished the renovation of one of the executive floors ... First they offered me an "old" executive room ... so you better ask them for a new / renovated room! They did admit to me, the new room was much nicer than the old one!!
Have a nice stay in the Maurya!
Old May 9, 2006, 7:30 am

Programs: SQ G, Hyatt D, Shangri-La G, Hilton G, Marriott G, IC PrCl G
You're welcome!

I was in the Maurya in December 2005. They just finished the renovation of one of the executive floors ... First they offered me an "old" executive room ... so you better ask them for a new / renovated room! They did admit to me, the new room was much nicer than the old one!!
Have a nice stay in the Maurya!
Greetings from the Maurya. As expected, the front desk did indeed sucker me and my colleague into one of the older rooms, in spite of us insisting on the renovated ones (we discovered this after going to our rooms). It took about ten minutes of polite debate at the front desk for two of the newer rooms to be allocated (note that neither my colleague nor I have any SPG status)

For common use to those attempting a stay at this hotel's Exec level, only the 14th Floor rooms have currently been renovated, so you've been warned...

I'm told the 11th and 12th floors are currently being upgraded and expected to be ready a few months from now. Watch out for the noise if allocated a room on these floors.

Check-in experience aside, I've got to agree with claes059, the new rooms are very good. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.