Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:51 am

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Wait until hotels release inventory

Every year or two I make it down to San Diego for a conference usually held in July.

I've found that checking spg.com for my preferred dates, and checking every two or three weeks... will suddenly yield a rate change that puts me into an acceptable rate. For this year, there was no good rate at the Westin Horton Plaza in August of '05, nor again in November, but I found the rate I was looking for in December of '05. I assume the hotels will release more inventory as time goes on... I hope you can reserve one of the rooms at those lower rates.

Sorry there is no instant answer for you.

Best of luck,

-- CaptainG
Old Feb 16, 2006, 4:20 pm

San Diego -- Mission Valley or 4Pts?

We are taking a family vacation (2 kids -- 6 and 8) to San Diego this summer. We'll be doing the typical tourist stuff -- Legoland, Zoo, Sea World, beaches, etc. We will also do some swimming at the hotel pool.

We don't need a fancy room, just clean, decent location, restaurants nearby, etc.

Based on cost, I have narrowed our choices to either the 4Points (26,000 points for 7 nights) or the Sheraton Mission Valley ($315 + 19,600 points).

Any recommendations based on this criteria? Also, anyone know how much parking is at the Sheraton (I'm pretty sure it's free at the 4Pts).

Sorry if a lot of this has already been covered, but I couldn't figure out the Google Search function, and how to search only in one forum instead of the whole site.

EDIT:
Okay, I feel like an idiot, but after logging in I could search using the Forum Search instead of Google Search. Any help is still appreciated, but I'll search for myself as well.

Last edited by emt68; Feb 16, 2006 at 4:26 pm
Old Feb 16, 2006, 6:39 pm

I can't compare the two but I stayed at the Mission Valley last summer because I couldn't get a reservation at any other *W hotel. I have to say that everything at this hotel was great. Free parking, friendly staff, great location, etc. I have nothing negative to say at all about this property. ^

Keba
Old Feb 16, 2006, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by emt68
We are taking a family vacation (2 kids -- 6 and 8) to San Diego this summer. We'll be doing the typical tourist stuff -- Legoland, Zoo, Sea World, beaches, etc. We will also do some swimming at the hotel pool.

We don't need a fancy room, just clean, decent location, restaurants nearby, etc.

Based on cost, I have narrowed our choices to either the 4Points (26,000 points for 7 nights) or the Sheraton Mission Valley ($315 + 19,600 points).

Any recommendations based on this criteria? Also, anyone know how much parking is at the Sheraton (I'm pretty sure it's free at the 4Pts).

Sorry if a lot of this has already been covered, but I couldn't figure out the Google Search function, and how to search only in one forum instead of the whole site.

EDIT:
Okay, I feel like an idiot, but after logging in I could search using the Forum Search instead of Google Search. Any help is still appreciated, but I'll search for myself as well.
I stayed at the 4pts this past December and found it dated----although the rooms have been renovated (or so I'm told) they were not spectacular and very motelish. They have a pool and jacuzzi in the back that is adequate, but again very dated and not too large. Parking is free and it is easy to get to but the hotel faces the freeway so be sure to get a room facing the back as you may hear some of the noise from front facing rooms. The front desk staff (young and college student looking) was not helpful or "service-oriented" but adequate. If this isn't to your liking, you're better off paying for the Sheraton.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 7:59 pm

I stayed at the Sheraton MV this past summer on a holiday weekend. I used 6000 pts for two nights and was upgraded to a nice two room suite and given breakfast certs and a bunch of drink certs (10). I was very happy with the suite and the outstanding service. There was no charge for parking.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 8:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
I vote for the Sheraton too.

Your kids @ 6 and 8 will LOVE having dinner at the Corvette Diner in Hillcrest, a short drive up the hill from Mission Valley. It really is a fun place with great food and losts to see/do hear. There is even a DJ booth where they will take requests for music played over the PA. Don't miss it.

If you are a member of Costco, there is one just opposite Legoland and they sell discounted ticktes in the Costco that will save you a bundle. Also, by the summer, Entertainment books will be half price and it is worth having one for your visit here.

Send me PM if you need/want any other tips.
Old May 29, 2006, 9:58 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, AA-Plat
Red face St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort

First off! I would like to say this is one of the best Starwood hotels I have ever stayed at in the US.

I reserved a room on an SPG 50 for my parents 30th anniversary. The Hotel took amazing care of my great parents. Even though I was not staying in the room they gave my parents all of the benefits of being a platinum member.

I did go down and check my parents in to make sure they are taken care of.

They received a bottle of champagne, chocolates, and a HUGE flower arrangement for their anniversary. I called down and talked with the delightful front desk lady who checked me in and she said "Mr. Hilton because you are a platinum member and we value your business, we have included the anniversary package free of charge to your parents! Thank you for bringing them here to celebrate their First off! I would like to say this is one of the best Starwood hotels I have ever stayed at in the US.

I reserved a room on an SPG 50 for my parents 30th anniversary. The Hotel took amazing care of my great parents. Even though I was not staying in the room they gave my parents all of the benefits of being a platinum member.

I did go down and check my parents in to make sure they are taken care of.

They received a bottle of champagne, chocolates, and a HUGE flower arrangement for their anniversary. I called down and talked with the delightful front desk lady who checked me in and she said "Mr. Hilton because you are a platinum member and we value your business, we have included the anniversary package free of charge to your parents! Thank you for bringing them here to celebrate their anniversary.

First I am amazed that with this great treatment even though I used an SPG 50. We got an upgrade to a two bedroom suite. The good suites end with 01, 02, & 03. These suites have a huge balcony with 4 chairs and directly overlook the ocean.

First I am amazed that with this great treatment even though I used an SPG 50. We got an upgrade to a two bedroom suite. The good suites end with 01, 02, & 03. These suites have a huge balcony with 4 chairs and directly overlook the ocean.

I will celebrate all my anniversaries here in the future and I would suggest this gorgeous resort to anyone!

Bus Trav Dave

SPG Platinum
AA Platinum
UAL Premier Executive

PS: They have a private beach and beach club that are perfect for a family vacation or a romantic getaway
Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:25 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
San diego

I'm going to San Diego and I've got a choice between the Sheraton Suites at Symphony Hall or the Westin Horton Plaza. Any idea which is the best choice?
What are my chances of getting an upgrade to the club level as a gold member? Do they both have club lounges?

Thanks
Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:53 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Welcome to FT. San Diego Starwood properties are discussed often and the great Search feature of FT, showed
this one as one of the better, recent thrads.

The Westin has no Club lounge and though the Sheraton Suites has "club floors" it doesn't have a lounge on that floor. But those upgraded to club floor get free hi-speed internet and breakfast in the hotel restaurant + some free drink coupons in the hotel's lounge/bar. Not sure if Golds are upgraded to the Club floor at the Sheraton but it does work hard to get Plats to those floors. I've stayed at both and like the less hectic atmosphere of the Sheraton Suites a little bit better. But either can be busy places.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ight=San+diego

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...t=Horton+Plaza

Last edited by ldsant; Jul 28, 2006 at 2:44 pm
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:22 pm

I've stayed in both. The biggest difference is location. The Westin in Horton Plaza is a MUCH better location in terms of restaurants, shopping, entertainment, etc. It is attached to a large outdoor mall and adjacent to the gaslamp quarter. But, depending on your purpose, the quiet of the Sheraton might be preferred (not that Westin is noisy, just a busier location).
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Just checked into the Westin Horton Plaza for a one-night stay. Pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to one of the bi-level suites. The agent said normally Plats don't get these suites, but they are sold out. I'm not complaining! Decent location, close to the Gaslamp District.

Stayed at the W recently. Also upgraded to a suite. My room was a regular (small) room with a parlor attached. Seemed very similar to The Hotel at Mandalay. The location is not as good as the Westin.

I'm very happy with my Platinum treatment at SPG properties in SAN.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 7:52 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Spent three nights at the Westin Horton Plaza earlier this month, and I'd have to say I'm neutral on it.

The rooms are fine (no upgrade for this Plat, but it was a business trip). However, avoid the restaurant/coffee shop. A quick breakfast order of a breakfast burrito wasn't; after ordering, nearly 20 minutes later I asked my waiter how much longer it would be, and he said they were still working on it. The restaurant was empty except for a handful of other customers, one of whom overheard me and said she'd waited a half hour for her food.

I cancelled my order and walked outside to one of the many good, fast restaurants in the adjoining blocks. The location of the Westin is quite good.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: HHonors Dia, Priority Club Plat, Marriott, SPG, Htz Gold
We've got a trip to San Diego planned for October. Any thoughts on on the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina? Without more, I guess I'm leaning toward the Westin Horton.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by smithit
We've got a trip to San Diego planned for October. Any thoughts on on the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina? Without more, I guess I'm leaning toward the Westin Horton.

What is the purpose of your trip? Westin is downtown as is the W (Westin is in a better location). I stayed at the Marina property recently as well. Nice hotel. As a plat on a last minute reservation (same day) I was given a nice room on the Club level. But the Marina is out by the airport and there is really nothing there but the marina, the airport and a few hotels. It's perfect for a one night stay before a flight, but downtown has many more restaurants, etc. and is closer to most businesses and tourist attractions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.