Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Suites Houston near the Galleria [Master Thread]

Sheraton Suites Houston near the Galleria [Master Thread]

Old Aug 5, 2002, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Suites Houston near the Galleria [Master Thread]

I stay at the Sheraton Suites in Houston on a regular basis. The hotel is great, always guaranteed a suite (cause it is an all suite hotel), and staff is great. One regret is that there is no concierge lounge.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 6:24 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Sheraton Suites Houston near the Galleria

I've got a 90+ day stay coming up in Houston, and would like to spend it with Starwood.

Any opinions on the Sheraton Suites Houston near the Galleria? Am I better off here, or am I better at another Starwood in Houston? I'm a Plat, so I would hope for a suite upgrade at another property, particularly considering the volume of business.

I did a search, but didn't turn up much.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 8:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The Sheraton Suites is an all Suite hotel. It is very new and the dial up connection is very fast. The Omaha Steakhouse Restaurant has room service delivery which is very good. This hotel sells out regularly. I find they are stingy with upgrades to the club floor rooms which have a fax machine and complimentary breakfast. There are only 3 types of rooms at this hotel. There are no specialty suites all rooms are basically created equal.

1. Club floor room (very hard to get a comp to) - top floor, upgraded amenities, in room fax machine, mini fridge in room, coupon for comp breakfast in restaurant each day of stay, complimentary local calls.

2. SPG Floor room - there are I believe 3 floors of SPG rooms - upgraded amenities, mini fridge in room

3. Standard room - this is likely what you would get if you are staying continuously for 3 months without checking out.

I believe there are some ramifications for staying such a long time in one stay. You may be better off points wise if you check out for a few weekends during your lengthy stay. The Hampton Inn across the street is fairly basic but the staff is very nice and they have the biggest continental breakfast buffet I have ever seen at a Hampton Inn.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 9:12 am
ski

You might consider the Westin Galleria. The Westin Oaks is also attached to the Galleria but I believe is still undergoing renovations. Westin Galleria rooms are spacious, newly renovated for business travelers with large work area, highspeed internet access, adjustable chair, etc. View is not good though. Free parking in Galleria parking lots if you don't want to valet. Also have plenty of restaurant, food court, etc. choices in Galleria if you don't want room service. Starbucks coffee stand right next to Westin Galleria mall entrance. Access to Unversity Club workout facility in Galleria for $10. Westin pools are outdoors and 70 degrees right now, noone is swimming in them. Nice business travelers hotel, but not alot of sitting areas outside of your room. Suite upgrade was 2 separate rooms connected by door- bedroom and 2nd room was same size bedroom with furniture replaced with small couch and chairs, same business desk and chair, tv, bathroom, etc. Very spacious. I only know that the Sheraton suites is right on the 610 freeway, so I would make sure your room does not face the freeway. I believe there is a parking fee. The St. Regis Houston is vey nice, but as previously mentioned - parking fee, no restaurant choices unless you leave, etc. I believe they do have a shuttle bus that runs to the Galleria. Their workout room is very small, not much to it. The pool is outside and was cold on our last stay. Make sure you don't get a room that faces the side where the railroad tracks are. On one stay was upgrades to huge corner room, only to be awakened by the train in the middle of the night. I prefer the JW Marriott on Westheimer across the street from the Galleria. Free parking lot on the side street if you don't want to valet, nice sittng areas, restaurant, bar, great Marriott buffet breakfast in restaurant, conciere club floor lounge, very nice workout facility for a hotel with connecting atrium with small jacuzzi and small indoor/outdoor pool. There is a huge Walgreens drugstore across the street to buy any snacks,etc. if you don't want to use the hotel gift shop. The Galleria is across the street for food options. The Westin rooms were better set up for business travelers, but the Marriott may have made some changes recently. They say they have highspeed internet access now in all their rooms. I rec going to www.biddingfortravel.com, the moderator is from Houston and I think there are reviews of most of these hotels including the Sheraton suites.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 9:53 am

After 7 years of traveling to Houston, I'd say that the St. Regis is the best Starwood choice. Although this hotel does not really live up to the standard that I expect of a St. Regis, it is quite nice, with spacious rooms, good food, and dependable (though not extraordinary) service. The only downside is that the fitness facilities are horrible. You can purchase a pass to the University Club for $20, but it is a drive away at the Galleria.

The Westins are perfectly acceptable, not not inspired. Service tends to be functionary given the large size of these hotels. Food is mediocre. But the fanastic facilities of the University Club are steps away for $10 (nobody at the St. Regis could ever explain to me why the club cost twice as much). Some of the suites on the top floor are incredible. I often got a suite that had two big screen TVs, a grand piano, a separate office with an oak desk, a four person hot tub, etc. As you are staying a long time, you may find these suites more appealing than the otherwise higher quality St. Regis.

As for the Sheraton Suites, only stayed there once when the others were booked and they screwed up my wake up call twice. I will never stay there again.

Outside of Starwood, the Houstonian is the best hotel in Houston by far. Work out with the GHW Bush!
Old Mar 6, 2003, 10:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HLT Honors, DL PLT but missing NWA terribly.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by prncess674:
I believe there are some ramifications for staying such a long time in one stay. You may be better off points wise if you check out for a few weekends during your lengthy stay.</font>
Absolutely. I ran into this on a relocation once. You will only be awarded points for 30 days unless you check out and do not have a consecutive stay at another Starwood hotel in the same city. Apparently the computer system will not allow the points to post, and cannot be overriden.

So if you're going home for a weekend, be sure to check out at least once a month. If it's not a busy weekend the hotel may allow you to leave your things in the room anyway even though you're not checked in. Make sure you're nice to the front desk, and bring them a small treats - it worked for me.

Old Mar 6, 2003, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep. From the Starwood Terms and Conditions:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">9. You will not receive Starpoints for any portion of a single stay in excess of 30 consecutive days, whether or not you check out and re-register during such stay.</font>
I've stayed at 'em all in Houston, and I have to agree that the St. Regis is probably the best bet service wise, but also as another has posted, I don't think it comes close to the standards of the typical St. Regis and I have posted here before that I'm surprised it's branded as such. I've stayed at Westins and Sheratons that were much nicer.

Platinum didn't get me many upgrades there either. And due to many group bookings filling the place up here, I've had some rather dull and plain rooms assigned to me at the St. Regis.

If it were me, I would book into the Sheraton Suites on such a long stay just to be guaranteed the space and the kitchenette. It's a very nice hotel, newer, and very convenient to the Galleria mall and other shops and restaurants within short walking distance just behind the hotel.

Then I would move for a couple of nights to another Starwood (or even The Houstonian as another suggested) just to break the 30 day cap, and to perhaps enjoy a more luxurious weekend break someplace else, and then move back in.

Now if you are trying or need to impress by address alone, then the St. Regis does that with the locals.

Don't know who's paying or if you care about saving your company a few bucks, but on such extended stays, you can usually negotiate special rates directly from the hotels. Just make sure whatever you negotiate will qualify for normal SPG stay, nights, and other benefits. And get it in writing.

As far as upgrades to Suites at other properties go, it's my opinion that your upgrade chances actually go down the longer your stay, as it's been my experience that most managers will only give you a suite for a few days or a max of a week out if they see they haven't sold it yet. Anything more and they tend to like to hang on to it for possible sale, and don't want to ask you to move out (downgrade) at some point if they do. The only exception to this would likely be properties that might have been overbuilt with Suites that they know historically always go "paid" empty anyway.

Drop me a line while you are there sometime if you want to get together. Houston is my second home and I'm there quite a bit, as you probably know.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 03-06-2003).]
Old Mar 7, 2003, 12:49 pm

Location: Chicago; SPG: Plat, Hyatt: Plat, UA: Prem.Ex.; AA: Gold
Just stayed at the Sheraton Suites last week . . . very convenient location, was updgraded to SPG level and they have wi-fi access in the room.
The service here was extremely friendly and the rooms are very clean with large bathrooms.

Old Mar 7, 2003, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I like the Sheraton Suites Galleria.

The best thing is the high-speed wireless access.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Sheraton Suites Houston

I did a search and looked on the website, but I can't find out information on Sheraton Suites Houston having a Club room for Continental Breakfast/evening appetizers, etc. I see that they have a club floor, so Platinum and others have a special floor with rooms that are slightly different, but I'm wondering about an actual club floor meeting area.

I'm staying at the Westin at the Detroit airport for the 7th or 8th time and I can't remember seeing a clubroom there, either. So, club floors just mean special access? Has anyone been to a club room at either property that serves food and/or drinks?

They had a nice one at Sheraton Hotel and Towers NY and Le Meridien Cancun, but it's something I see less and less of as I visit new properties. It is often worth the extra money if you don't eat a lot and can substitute the hot appetizers for dinner! I seem to recall that the Sheraton at Bush Airport in Houston HAD an area for this kind of thing, but they stopped serving drinks, and now I wonder if they still serve the appetizers?

(I leave today for the 1st in a series of 6 Starwood hotels and am trying to plan a few meetings. Those club rooms actually are great for meetings!)
Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Sheraton Suites Houston

I just checked in at Sheraton Suites Houston and I got a sticker on my Plat key holder that said I had been upgraded. I don't know what an upgrade would be here as they're all suites, but my suite is on the small side.

I mean, for the price and the free internet access, I cannot complain, but I'm a bit surprised at how small the suite is. It's smaller than any NYC suite I ever had. The bedroom holds just the bed and a small tv on a stand and the living room has a tiny wetbar (no microwave) a small desk and a couch. There are wooden sliding doors between the 2 rooms and a carpeted bathroom that goes all the way through, even though it is like 2 small rooms with a counter with one sink, and a separate room for the toilet and bathtub.

Maybe I am just used to more elaborate settings. Last night I got uprgaded at the DTW Westin and I must say, I LOVE those suites. I awoke to a long hot bath in a jacuzzi bath tub with a special attachment for washing hair. The Heavenly shower could've fit more than 3 people easily and the marble bathroom was lovely. I especially love the different shelves in the bathroom, with enough towel sets for a small army. I am back there on Thursday and hope I get another upgrade!

Meanwhile, at Sheraton Suites there is a huge music festival nearby and the hotel is full. The people at the desk were very nice and b/c I was Plat, they had blocked off my room so I was one of very few who got an early check in. I just wish the skies weren't black- I'd love to spend my free day out by the pool! And the tv channel keeps changing- I think someone in the next room is pointing at MY tv. I was warned in this forum that one remote from the LR could change the tv channel in the bedroom, but so far it's just others changing my channels. And I am still wondering- what IS an upgrade at this hotel? They were so nice to get me an early check-in that I don't want to ask and seem petty. I'm just curious. Anyone know?
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:40 am

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
I got the same thing a year back when I checked in. This was my first stay as a Plat and didn't know what to expect. I went back and asked what the whole deal was with the sticker and all, as the room was exactly the same as when I had stayed there and and wasn't a Plat.

I was told I was upgraded to a SPG floor!

They made such a big deal about the sticker and all.

I did find out later that those on the SPG floor get bottled water put in their fridge. A friend was on a non SPG floor didn't get the water.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 5:34 pm

Yeah, day 2 of my stay and nothing special. They did have a shuttle over to the Galleria so I went and did some shopping, but basically this reminds me of Sheraton Brookhollow, which, is closer to where I need to be. If only the St. Regis hadn't disappointed me in their customer service- I could be whoopin' it up at one of the nicest hotels I know!

(When I went to make my reservation there for the 4th time at least, I emailed and asked if they could upgrade me based on Platinum IF a suite was available, just like the times before. What I got was a phone call telling me I got too good of a rate and they would NEVER upgrade me to a suite at that rate, and suggested I pay more to reserve a club room with the HOPES of being upgraded! I told the lady from St. Regis I was insulted and would not be staying. I mean, they had TOLD me there were suites for upgrade, but only for the Plats who were already paying for a Club Floor Room, and only if they were paying a "good" rate. I had been thrilled to get a low SPG internet rate, but St. Regis lady made me feel like the dregs of the earth as I was ONLY paying $150 a night!)

Anyway, so far here at S. Suites Houston, I have had problems with the tv, internet and air conditioning and not once have they offered me points. Is the Sheraton Service Promise dead? The guys who fixed my internet problem today were very sweet and the driver is nice, but I think S.Suites Houston is overwhelmed by the number of people here. I called for breakfast this morning and was told "You JUST made it" even though Breakfast was served until 11am and it was 10:40am. The server was nice but the guy who took my order was miffed. I'm trying to let things roll off my back, but I admit it kind of made me angry.

Overall, I think next time I'll stay at the Westin Galleria. I am staying tomorrow at the Sheraton by the airport, and I've stayed there countless times and am always treated well. I wouldn't give Sheraton Suites a BAD review, but I wouldn't give it a good one, either. I'm doing points/cash, so I guess I'm getting what I paid for. It's better than Brookhollow Sheraton, but not as nice as the 2 Westins.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Platinum
Sheraton Suites Houston

So when I checked in, I was told 'no upgrades available'. I've looked all week long and they've had Club Floor Rooms available every day so far yet they couldn't put me into one? Online they offer cont. breakfast if you stay in a Club Floor room, yet I asked about breakfast and was told there is nothing available for me (i.e. included). They offered to send up two bottles of water on check-in, that was it.

What gives?
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:28 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by tw1tch
...What gives?
Hard to say really without any verifiable information being provided. Have you tried calling Corporate Customer Service to ask them to intervene on your behalf? 800-328-6242.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.