Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton LaGuardia East (Flushing), NY [Master Thread]

Sheraton LaGuardia East (Flushing), NY [Master Thread]

Old Nov 25, 2004, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given the lack of Starwood properties at JFK, would this hotel make an acceptable subsitute. I assume I would have to spring for a cab both ways - any views on how much this might cost and how long it would take out of rush hour?

Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2004, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Given the lack of Starwood properties at JFK, would this hotel make an acceptable subsitute. I assume I would have to spring for a cab both ways - any views on how much this might cost and how long it would take out of rush hour?

Thanks!
I can not comment on the taxi fare since I fly out of LGA when staying at this property and the hotel shuttle is complmentry. I would give the hotel a call and find out.

Be careful, even though they advertise "Sweet Sleepers" beds, most of the rooms do not have these beds. It may be different now. Has anyone stayed here lately?
Old Nov 25, 2004, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL (suckered me into) Diamond, ICH Plat RA, SPG Plat
My experience here wasn't great either. My non-smoking room reaked of smoke and there was a leak in the ceiling that put a huge puddle in the carpet. If it wasn't a quick overnighter I would have complained. Anyways, I wouldn't recommend staying there. There's nothing to do in that area anyways.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
JFK is a bit far from this hotel. I do know the beautiful flight attendants from China Airlines (they fly to JFK) stay at this hotel. The taxi costs about $26 - 30 one way. There is Airport Express bus between JFK-LGA and it costs $11.00. The subway 7 is a block away from the hotel.

I have stayed at this hotel a few times. They treated Platinum well and upgraded me to a suite. The room here is bigger than most Manhattan hotels, and the complimentary breakfast buffet, with western and Asian selections, is very good. The sleeper bed was in the suite they upgraded me. The hotel is surrounded by many excellent Chinese restaurants and you feel almost like you are in Hong Kong or Taipei. It's quite an interesting experience.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by Bookexp
JFK is a bit far from this hotel. I do know the beautiful flight attendants from China Airlines (they fly to JFK) stay at this hotel. The taxi costs about $26 - 30 one way. There is Airport Express bus between JFK-LGA and it costs $11.00. The subway 7 is a block away from the hotel.

I have stayed at this hotel a few times. They treated Platinum well and upgraded me to a suite. The room here is bigger than most Manhattan hotels, and the complimentary breakfast buffet, with western and Asian selections, is very good. The sleeper bed was in the suite they upgraded me. The hotel is surrounded by many excellent Chinese restaurants and you feel almost like you are in Hong Kong or Taipei. It's quite an interesting experience.
I am thinking about giving this property another try. Was the breakfast served in the lounge(if there is one) or at the lobby restaurant?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I will be staying a night here at the end of trip to the East Coast in June and would also be interested in any recent reports on stays. I have a club room reserved, but based on past reviews, that doesn't sound to be so special...
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
I will be staying a night here at the end of trip to the East Coast in June and would also be interested in any recent reports on stays. I have a club room reserved, but based on past reviews, that doesn't sound to be so special...
Just booked my two night stay for the end of May. I will report back, hopefully with good news!
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:01 am

This is my favourite of all LGA hotels. True it is not the greatest Starwood property. True other hotels may be more luxurious and better equipped. But this hotel is situated right in the middle of downtown Flushing, with tons of great Chinese restaurants and shops just outside the door.

Marriott and Crowne Plaza may be a better hotel, but I will have to say the Sheraton is a better stay because of its location.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Motion122
I am thinking about giving this property another try. Was the breakfast served in the lounge(if there is one) or at the lobby restaurant?
The breakfast was served at the restaurant on the ground floor. I don't think they have a lounge.
As PCChang posted, this is really a Flushing hotel rather than a LGA hotel. There are a lot more to do around this hotel compared to other LGA hotels.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA - LFT GLD 1MM, UA - 2P, SPG - LFT Plat, Hyatt - Plat, HH - Gold, Avis - CHM
hmm i have a wedding to attend at this hotel in august -- was originally planning on staying in manhattan, but maybe i will give this hotel a try
Old May 25, 2005, 2:14 am

Do all rooms have the sweet sleeper beds now?
Old May 29, 2005, 5:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy - LIFETIME!!! Titanium ; AA - Platinum 2 Million Miler;
This hotel is located in quite the unique area in NY. I certainly would not be caught walking outside after dark. Did they get high speed internet here? I was there about a year ago and had to dial up.

Just a very strange hotel. I'd rather stay at a SPG property in Manhatten and take either a taxi or the subway to work.

As for hotels around JFK, although it's not a Starwood property, I highly recommend the Doubletree. Again, I would not walk the streets around this property even in the day to be honest but it's very close to JFK and they have a good shuttle service.

Mike
Old May 29, 2005, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeHomeAA
This hotel is located in quite the unique area in NY. I certainly would not be caught walking outside after dark. Did they get high speed internet here? I was there about a year ago and had to dial up.

Just a very strange hotel. I'd rather stay at a SPG property in Manhatten and take either a taxi or the subway to work.

As for hotels around JFK, although it's not a Starwood property, I highly recommend the Doubletree. Again, I would not walk the streets around this property even in the day to be honest but it's very close to JFK and they have a good shuttle service.

Mike
Just returned from a two night stay at this property. This time I was upgraded to the club floor with lounge access. The room indeed has the sweet sleeper bed. Very professional staff and good service.

Wireless high speed is free of charge. Yes, FREE!

Nothing wrong with the surrounding area of this hotel. I was out past mid night both nights of my stay and still see some Chinese restaurant open for business. It's great if you need to grab a quick bite to eat during those hours.

The 7 train is just around the corner from the hotel and a quick 30 minute ride into Manhattan, I am sure it will be quicker with the express train that runs during the weekdays. If there is a transfer involved, give your self more time. If you walk another block, there is also a train to Penn Station I believe for $5.00 and a quick 15-20 minute ride.
Old May 29, 2005, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
I have three nights reserved in August for a family wedding using cash and points. It is $45 a night plus 2800 points. I thought a pretty good deal. Everything in NY is so expensive and my aunt lives in Bayside. The wedding is in New Rochelle so I will probably rent a car for Sunday when the actual wedding is. Any advice for cheap car rentals. As a Gold member - should I request a room with the special beds in advance in case I don't get upgraded?
Old May 29, 2005, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by dgordon
I have three nights reserved in August for a family wedding using cash and points. It is $45 a night plus 2800 points. I thought a pretty good deal. Everything in NY is so expensive and my aunt lives in Bayside. The wedding is in New Rochelle so I will probably rent a car for Sunday when the actual wedding is. Any advice for cheap car rentals. As a Gold member - should I request a room with the special beds in advance in case I don't get upgraded?
I would call and find out if all rooms have the sweet sleeper beds now. As Gold last year I wasn't upgraded to the club floor and the room I was in didn't have the sweet sleeper beds even though the hotel and in-room ads said so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.