Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Left Marriott, Dec. 2018) Hotel Des Indes, The Hague, Netherlands, LC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wobbly wings
Hotel leaving Marriott
The hotel will leave Marriott on 10 December 2018.

Construction Detours

Due to construction, there are currently multiple street closures and detours obstructing direct access to the hotel. Please expect and plan for travel delays accordingly. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Print Wikipost

(Left Marriott, Dec. 2018) Hotel Des Indes, The Hague, Netherlands, LC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
We took taxis both ways between station and property. It was the easiest way and very cheap (I think I paid €10 each way inclusive of tip). I hate walking to properties on a first stay, thereafter once I know the layout of the location I take a view as to a taxi or walking. On balance at this property I would go for the taxi option but that may just be my laziness
Actually, from Central station most taxis will refuse or try to refuse to take you to this hotel. It's too short. However if you are at the HS station, then yes take a taxi.
Old May 2, 2011, 2:54 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've wanted to stay at this hotel ever since I saw the pictures posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter. I finally made it, and am happy to have had a night here. It's nice to stay in a hotel that has character and a rich history.

Arrival
We came by train to the Central Station. We took a taxi to the hotel and were shocked by the steep charge of 13 euros for the short distance. This is a flat charge for any distance under 3 kms.

Hotel and Room
I like both the word picture painted by FD1971, and the wonderful pictures posted by ALCO. They really capture the sense of the hotel.

Originally Posted by FD1971
Aside from that, the interior is typical for a Jacques Garcia property. Comparable with The Victor or former Hyatt Regency Brussels meaning plush, decadent, dark and simply reminiscent of former times with a modern twist.
We were given room 217, not the first FTer to be given this junior suite. From the entrance hallway, there was a room with a toilet to one side, and a room with double sinks and a shower room to the left. This particular room has no tub. It is a spacious corner room, overlooking a small park in front of the hotel. There was a small amusement park set up there. We could throw open the windows and have nice fresh air with lots of noise, or close the windows and have it dull to a more muted level til 11pm. When ALCO took his pictures, there was a small CRT TV in the credenza. It is now gone, and there is a significantly larger flat TV above the fireplace mantle. There were several pictures of guests arriving at the hotel. I recognized Omar Sharif, but would have enjoyed captions on the others.

The gym closed at 8pm, to my husband's chagrin.

Surrounding Area
We liked the location of the hotel. Denneweg is a small fashionable street that runs by the side of the hotel. It is lined with cafes and shops. An outlet for Betjeman and Barton, fine Dutch tea, is just a couple blocks down it. A half block from the hotel is the Escher Museum, housed in what used to be the Winter Palace. Four different Dutch queens used the building, and the museum shows the purpose of each room when it was a palace.

Departure
It was a pleasant day, so we followed the directions in reverse given earlier in this thread by Mr. Renold to return to the train station. It took less than 10 minutes to walk there. It was a 10 euro train ride on to Amsterdam Central.

Originally Posted by GMAmsterdam
Just walk straight out from the station and for about 400 mtrs along the large lawn/park on the right side. Turn left at the Ministery of Finance (huge renovated building on your left). After 200 mtrs turn right after the American Embassy and you'll come to the hotel at the end of the alley.

Kurt Renold
Area Manager Starwood NL

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 2, 2011 at 3:00 pm
Old May 2, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Platinum, DL Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Terrific hotel.
Old May 3, 2011, 2:01 am
Company Representative - Starwood Area Manager the Netherlands

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've wanted to stay at this hotel ever since I saw the pictures posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter. I finally made it, and am happy to have had a night here. It's nice to stay in a hotel that has character and a rich history.

Arrival
We came by train to the Central Station. We took a taxi to the hotel and were shocked by the steep charge of 13 euros for the short distance. This is a flat charge for any distance under 3 kms.

Hotel and Room
I like both the word picture painted by FD1971, and the wonderful pictures posted by ALCO. They really capture the sense of the hotel.

We were given room 217, not the first FTer to be given this junior suite. From the entrance hallway, there was a room with a toilet to one side, and a room with double sinks and a shower room to the left. This particular room has no tub. It is a spacious corner room, overlooking a small park in front of the hotel. There was a small amusement park set up there. We could throw open the windows and have nice fresh air with lots of noise, or close the windows and have it dull to a more muted level til 11pm. When ALCO took his pictures, there was a small CRT TV in the credenza. It is now gone, and there is a significantly larger flat TV above the fireplace mantle. There were several pictures of guests arriving at the hotel. I recognized Omar Sharif, but would have enjoyed captions on the others.

The gym closed at 8pm, to my husband's chagrin.

Surrounding Area
We liked the location of the hotel. Denneweg is a small fashionable street that runs by the side of the hotel. It is lined with cafes and shops. An outlet for Betjeman and Barton, fine Dutch tea, is just a couple blocks down it. A half block from the hotel is the Escher Museum, housed in what used to be the Winter Palace. Four different Dutch queens used the building, and the museum shows the purpose of each room when it was a palace.

Departure
It was a pleasant day, so we followed the directions in reverse given earlier in this thread by Mr. Renold to return to the train station. It took less than 10 minutes to walk there. It was a 10 euro train ride on to Amsterdam Central.
You should have let me know that you were in the Netherlands. We could have had a coffee together at the Sheraton Schiphol!

Next time?

Warm regards

Kurt

Kurt Renold
Area Manager Starwood Hotels The Netherlands
Old May 4, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I just made my first reservation last night following a self-imposed 5-year embargo of Des Indes.

I had planned to spend the night here on a KLM stopover from Shanghai to London, but was involuntarily denied boarding in Shanghai and had to wait for the next flight. My reservation at Des Indes became non-refundable 24-hours prior to arrival and my call to cancel missed this window by a few hours. I understand they were correct, but I still wasn't happy about spending 200 EUR for a night I couldn't take, so have stayed away.
Old May 4, 2011, 12:07 pm
Company Representative - Starwood Area Manager the Netherlands

Originally Posted by flyatlanta
I just made my first reservation last night following a self-imposed 5-year embargo of Des Indes.

I had planned to spend the night here on a KLM stopover from Shanghai to London, but was involuntarily denied boarding in Shanghai and had to wait for the next flight. My reservation at Des Indes became non-refundable 24-hours prior to arrival and my call to cancel missed this window by a few hours. I understand they were correct, but I still wasn't happy about spending 200 EUR for a night I couldn't take, so have stayed away.
Flyatlanta,

Great, that you'll give us another chance!

Kurt Renold
Area Manager Starwoodhotels NL
Old May 4, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
[QUOTE=SanDiego1K;16316720]I've wanted to stay at this hotel ever since I saw the pictures posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter. I finally made it, and am happy to have had a night here. It's nice to stay in a hotel that has character and a rich history.

[ When ALCO took his pictures, there was a small CRT TV in the credenza. It is now gone, and there is a significantly larger flat TV above the fireplace mantle.

I remember the vey small tv's! It was because of the architect/designer did appose to have the large screens in the rooms since it would not match with the interior design.
You must have noticed the Nespresso machines in the rooms/suites?? I did recommend the hotel concerning the tv and Nespresso/coffeemakers, but I guess many guest have done this too!

The hotel has its 130 years celebration this months and just booked a weekend stay here.
I always have to get used to the interior of the hotel, the special chairs and furniture and the "Royal beds". Its a very special Starwood property.

The location is perfect, close to the Den Haag Central Station and city center. And the beautiful beach of Scheveningen is only a short drive away!

Hope the hotel has a proper AC now, they used to have a sort of climate control which only could lower the temperature for some degrees.
Old May 5, 2011, 6:45 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by claes059
You must have noticed the Nespresso machines in the rooms/suites?? I did recommend the hotel concerning the tv and Nespresso/coffeemakers, but I guess many guest have done this too!
I'm not a coffee drinker, but my husband is. He loved having this in the room.

The hotel has its 130 years celebration this months and just booked a weekend stay here.
The hotel is having a special promo to celebrate its 130th anniversary. As seen on Facebook:

Celebrate the Hotel Des Indes’ 130th anniversary with a special offer of a Superior Room at €130. The offer is available for weekend stays from April 30th to June 4th.

Originally Posted by GMAmsterdam
You should have let me know that you were in the Netherlands. We could have had a coffee together at the Sheraton Schiphol!

Next time?
Next time for sure.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Air France, Lufthansa, Continental Air
Recent Stay Review

Thanks to the directions posted here, we walked from the train station. We were upgraded to room 405, a junior suite with a beautiful terrace overlooking the front garden. A worker was in our room when we arrived, fixing the lock on the terrace door. This was of no issue, but later a plate of chocolates appeared with a note excusing the inconvience. The property is lovely, in a beautiful location.

No free breakfast for plats

Free wifi is great, but only if it works! I had so many troubles getting mine to stay connected, I finally went down and used the business center.

The rain forest showerhead is wonderful, but with the shower/tub combo it's an odd set up. You have to step out of the warm water into the cold area to shave, shampoo, etc. It would have been better if the bathroom had a heater. I was looking forward to throwing on the plush robe on the back of the door, and the moment I put it on I smelled it-mold. Yuck. The robe in the cabinet was fine, but the one of the back of the door was obviously used and moldy. Double yuck.

A real bright spot was afternoon tea. It was a beautiful experience. Everything was delicious. I would go back again just for the tea.

At check out I was charged for internet even though it is free to plats. I brought this up and was told by the young man that indeed the bill was in order. ( He really didn't appreciate being questioned.) I had to call at my next destination but Carolina gladly fixed the error and apologized.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 2:35 pm

Thank you for that balanced review. I have booked a stay here in November, and I will certainly take note of those issues - both positives and negatives - you have mentioned.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Air France, Lufthansa, Continental Air
Originally Posted by heakja
Thank you for that balanced review. I have booked a stay here in November, and I will certainly take note of those issues - both positives and negatives - you have mentioned.
Have a great time. It really is a beautiful place, but I think it only fair to mention the good with the bad. The staff I encountered, other than the young man at checkout, were kind and you could tell they took pride in the property.

Be sure to take afternoon tea. It was a lovely experience. I didn't reserve, just walked in. I had my little boy with me and he even enjoyed it!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:56 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Currently in the midst of a five night stay and am slightly underwhelmed so far.

Location is absolutely perfect. The public areas and the rooms are certainly five star (although not really to my taste) but judging it strictly as a true luxury hotel (which it asserts itself to be) I have encountered a few minor niggles.

Prior to check in I took the hint and on the third email selling me one - I paid to upgrade my Superior Room to an Executive Room. Of course at check in I was happily told I'd been upgraded to an Executive Room as a Plat. Normally I take what I'm given but I did inquire about a junior suite - which was assigned to me. Actually just to be difficult I later asked to change rooms (I really hate shower/bath combos) which was handled very well.

So end result - very good. However at a true luxury hotel I'd expect some attention to detail - at least know what my booking was. Also don't make me ask for an upgrade - it cheapens both of us.

Also I asked if I could have the windows unlocked in my room to take some photos of the square - no dice. Slightyly bizarre - but fair enough. But when I asked the only person at the front was a lone trainee who went to ask somebody out the back. At a luxury hotel I'd expect this person to have the professionalism to come and speak to me - perhaps another solution could be found - or explain the reason to me, don't just send the poor trainee out to say no.

Finally housekeeping is pretty poor - replacement toiletries appear to have literally been thrown on the benchtop, not all towels were replaced, the room wasn't vacuumed and a wet robe was left in a ball on the foot of the bed. Granted I shouldn't have left it there (I swear I didn't realise I had ) but honestly - not to hang it up for me? I had made the mistake of ringing around 3.30 pm to see when my room would be serviced - so clearly housekeeping did a rush job to get back to the planned schedule.

One more - rung down for an extra luggage rack - after waiting 30mins+ went down to get it myself - it appeared that reception/guest services never passed the request along.

All very minor but still.

So nice rooms, very nice public areas (again not my style) staff are very friendly but attention to detail and flawless service isn't there.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chad75
Prior to check in I took the hint and on the third email selling me one - I paid to upgrade my Superior Room to an Executive Room. Of course at check in I was happily told I'd been upgraded to an Executive Room as a Plat. Normally I take what I'm given but I did inquire about a junior suite - which was assigned to me. Actually just to be difficult I later asked to change rooms (I really hate shower/bath combos) which was handled very well.
I don't understand this? You say you are Platinum so you should know that all Starwood hotels try this pitch and you should never pay up in advance. Other chains do the same thing.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:40 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold

Last edited by chad75; Jan 26, 2012 at 2:09 pm Reason: Not about the hotel
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no point in paying for something that you will get for free. Do you understand that? An Executive room is the lowest you should ever get as a Platinum member booking the cheapest rate at this hotel. And I pretty much always get better than that at this hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.