Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai 2009 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG Instant Awards
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2009, 1:27 am
Original Poster

I will be staying at the LrM this weekend...My flight out of PVG isn't till 5pm....can I check out at noon and leave my luggage at the front desk and come back to claim it later in the day?
How safe would it be to leave my laptop bag at the front desk?

/mod

Earlier reports can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

mod/

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm
Old Feb 25, 2009, 2:06 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by Commie
I will be staying at the LrM this weekend...My flight out of PVG isn't till 5pm....can I check out at noon and leave my luggage at the front desk and come back to claim it later in the day?
How safe would it be to leave my laptop bag at the front desk?
Well, you're not really leaving it at the front desk, but rather with the bellman who most likely will keep it in a storage room. He'll give you a tag which matches the tag he attaches to your luggage and which you'll surrender when you reclaim the luggage. This is SOP at high end hotels. For extra precaution, you should lock all your bags.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
This hotel is completely professional and safe IME.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 7:45 am

Edited for whine.

Last edited by cshlin; Jun 18, 2010 at 10:48 am
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Welcom to FT.

I'm sorry to hear about your unpleasant experieinces at the LRM Shanghai. I'm stayed at this hotel 3 times last year and considered it the better of the 3 Shanghai SPG properties that I've stayed in (Westin Bund Center and St. Regis being the other two). I've been upgraded to a junior suite twice and a larger suite once. In fact I'll be back there in July for a family vacation stay on C&P.

Originally Posted by cshlin
On my second visit here, I brought a couple of my family members up to the club lounge for afternoon hor d'oeuvres. They serve drinks and some very tiny snacks. My dad had a glass of water, my brother a glass of wine, and I had two or three pieces of finger foods. Twenty minutes later, when we were just sitting around having a conversation, the attendant on duty asked me for my room number, which I gave. A couple minutes later, he came back with a bill for 440 RMB (about $80 USD).
They must have charged you a per person non-guest charge for the lounge, regardless of consumption. Most SPG hotels with lounges I've been to do have some sort of guest policy. So I agree that the hotel should have made it clear to avoid any misunderstanding and surprises.

On my third stay, a lamp in my room got broken. On check-out, I informed the front desk, and they tried to charge me 2000RMB (350USD). Fortunately, I had a friend with me that was familiar with the furniture business and cost of such furnishings, as well as wholesale prices, and she managed to help me talk the hotel down to 400RMB. Now, I realize this is China, and being Chinese myself, I'm very accustomed to the way business is done in Mainland China, where everything is negotiated for.
Did you actually break the lamp? I think you're at the mercy of the hotel reagrding cost of damages, so negotiation of actual damages is to be expected, even if the hotel may try to 'gouge' you. This could happen anywhere in the world.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:11 am

Edited for more whine.

Last edited by cshlin; Jun 18, 2010 at 10:47 am
Old Feb 28, 2009, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
In my experience, staying at a great many hotels in China, they all are strict on the guest policies in the Club rooms. It's the same at all the Starwoods in China as well as the IC's, Hyatt's, etc.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 6:01 pm

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Executive Lounges access in China is pretty much restricted to the Plat member (if they have any Exec Lounge) and at most 1 guest.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:06 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
IIRC, LRM shanghai does inform guest about the lounge access policy at check in, i.e. max 2 person/room, charge for additional guest is about 200+rmb/person.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 4:48 am

Agreed, I take responsibility for all of my actions, I guess the message I was trying to convey was that I just got an overall bad vibe when it came to me asking for something (that I might not have been rightfully entitled to) and being denied. I think I've been spoiled in that every other *wood hotel I've been to has allowed two or more guests into their lounges without batting an eye, and has been happy to waive hundreds of dollars for dubious charges (at little actual cost to them, mind you) in the name of customer satisfaction and the ultimate goal of me continuing to fork over tens of thousands of dollars to....
Well, sorry to go against the trend of this thread, but I for one, would hope that charges are strictly enforced for guest visits into the lounges. I like these lounges for the sole purpose of getting away from the noise and busy-ness of the restaurants and/or bars, and is one decent place (other than my room) where I can have a quiet conversation, or just sit alone to work, etc. If patrons do not respect the lounges' guest policies, or expect not to pay for something which they are not entitled to, then I would definitely have a word with the lounge manager if i ever saw this.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rdchen
IIRC, LRM shanghai does inform guest about the lounge access policy at check in, i.e. max 2 person/room, charge for additional guest is about 200+rmb/person.
I wonder what would they do when I show up with my wife and daughter for our stay in July. My award reservation does say 3 people, and the confirmation does not specifically mention 3rd person charge like the hotels in BKK.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:59 am
KGO

I stayed at the hotel a couple of weeks ago. The 'welcome letter' clearly stated that there were charges for additional guests in the lounge. Gave the amounts too but I can't recall those.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by CIT85
I wonder what would they do when I show up with my wife and daughter for our stay in July. My award reservation does say 3 people, and the confirmation does not specifically mention 3rd person charge like the hotels in BKK.

I think it will depend on the age of your daughter, you might want to email the hotel prior to your arrival for some clarification.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 5:26 am

I stayed at this hotel last week for four nights, and have to say I was somewhat disappointed. The hotel has great style and the housekeeping did a great job, but there were a few problems:

1) The keycard readers in many of the elevators don't appear to work so well... I had to change elevators/get staff help a few times, and noticed a number of other guests with the same problem. I also had problems with my guest room door. Not such a problem, but a bit annoying.

2) In the men's changeroom, the jacuzzi was just lukewarm, and not at all hot. After working out the first night, I mentioned this to a staff member, who said he would contact engineering. Nothing was done by the next night, so I mentioned it again (in a very nice way).

A female manager at the health club said that they don't keep it too hot so that it is comfortable for guests of all countries?! Quite honestly, it was at least 15 degrees cooler than any other hot tub I've used, and they really should get this sorted. The jacuzzi is also not deep, but there is space for at least another six inches of water, so maybe something to think about.

3) The biggest disappointment, however, was the room service. When I travel alone, I often like to order in (expensive) room service rather than eat in a restaurant alone, so I place a lot of value on decent food. I ordered three times, and twice the food was really terrible.

The "Slow cooked marinated leg of lamb with honey and garlic, wood oven roast potatoes, crispy endive" that I ordered the second night was in fact served with four wedge french fries and some tempura cabbage or something. The lamb was alright, but the sides were not what was advertised. I also ordered a creme brulee for dessert, that was not at all cream, but a solid and yellow cake-ish thing - not good at all. I thought they might've just got it wrong, so I ate about half and put it outside the door.

The next night, I got in late and was not so hungry, so ordered the "Pizza with cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and basil." What arrived was a plain pizza with tomato sauce and about a half an inch of mozzarella cheese - no Parmesan, tomatoes or basil... and there was even a picture of the pizza on the menu. I sent it back and went to Subway instead.

I'm really not a difficult guest, but I have to say I wasn't impressed at all, and not sure I would stay here again. The other issues were relatively small, but they have to get this room service sorted.

I usually stay at the Hyatt on the Bund in Shanghai, but have decided to stay at SPG properties this year, so gave this one a go. I think I'll likely go back to the Hyatt next time.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:14 am

LRM has been upgraded to a Category 5 but the hotel has been aggressive in offering low rates during the current downturn. Right now they have a Friday and weekend special of RMB1088 including breakfast.

I've stayed at LRM several times and the service is not up to par with true 5-star hotels. As a younger Chinese guy, I've been ignored by staff. The doormen would greet the white businessmen walking ahead of me but would ignore me as I walked past by.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.