Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Goldener Hirsch, Luxury Collection, Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Goldener Hirsch, Luxury Collection, Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2001, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Plat, Hilton Gold, America West Silver
Arrow Hotel Goldener Hirsch, Luxury Collection, Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

I'm planning a visit to Salzburg, Austria and booked the Hotel GOldener Hirsch. The rate seems excellent for a Luxury Collection property ($170, but they charge a 25% room tax and a $15 per person city tax!).

Anything to say about this property (I did a search and found nothing) versus the Salzburg Sheraton?
heartguy likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2001, 6:58 pm

I stayed at Goldner Hirsch in January. The location is fantastic, on the pedestrian street. The restaurant is world renowned (dress nice). The building was built in 1407. My room was up in the roof. the room was in two levels, bed upstairs living room below. The bath was nice but the toilet was in a separate room that was rather tiny. The fixtures, linens, etc. are all top notch. The staff were wonderful with out being obtrusive. I think the rooms on the lower floors are more mainstream in that they are one large room.

I am a platinum and waiting for me in the room was wine, water, fruit and cheese. Turndown service was more water and chocolates.

Overall, I thought it a wonderful property. It has so much character compared to most chain-held properties. The Sheraton across the river is a modern building whose only positive would be that it overlooks a marvelous garden if you get that side of the building. I would definitely stay at the Goldner Hirsch if I had the choice.

Have a great trip
Old Mar 26, 2001, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Congratulations on snagging such a good rate. The same room during the Festival would probably set you back about USD 560+
The proximity of the major festival venues (Grosses and Kleines Festspeilhauses and the Felsenreitenschule a block away) and tradition (same guests year after year) make the GH a hot a ticket as a Mozart opera performance!

Old Mar 28, 2001, 12:35 am

IMHO the Goldener Hirsch is one of the best hotels in the world. The location is superb, the rooms are very special, the service is always attentive but never obstrusive or over the top. It's the favorite hotel in Salzburg of celebrities like the Aga Khan, Princess Caroline of Monaco etc.
Be sure to check out the bar, which is also something very special. If you arrive by plane or want to make a trip to the countryside be sure to book the Packard oldtimer.
For the restaurant, do not expect high class french nouvell cuisine, but you get austrian specialities at their best. Also be sure to be in the main building and not across the street. For the rest just enjoy your stay in a house where service means that nothing is impossible.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Goldener Hirsch (Salzburg, Austria)

Just booked 4 nights there myself for Jan 1-5. The Goldener Hirsch has a rate plan bookable online called "A Taste of Luxury" that gives you one night free for a minimum of 3 paid. Rates in Jan. (Austrian Alps Ski Season, no less) start at about 200 EUR per person (based on double occupancy, cheaper for single), which is CHEAP compared to their summer rates. The hotel seems to be rated fairly highly by FTers, and it sounds like they're good on Plat Upgrades as well.

Until now, I had those dates booked at the 4-Points in Lenggries (as we arrive into MUC on Dec. 30th), and as the Spitzingsee Sheraton was fully booked. Salzburg was always our first choice, but was waaaay too pricey for hotels until recently. Hope others can take advantage of these great winter rates at an excellent hotel.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
It's a beautiful little hotel with a very professional staff right in the heart of old Salzburg. We enjoyed the restaurant, and the excellent upgrade to Room 1, and had a fine meal in the restaurant as well.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:59 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
The Goldener Hirsch has a rate plan bookable online called "A Taste of Luxury" that gives you one night free for a minimum of 3 paid.
It's not a hotel-specific rate plan.

The "Taste of Luxury", along with "Luxury Romance", "Luxury Holiday" etc are all rate-plans promoted by the Luxury Collection brand. They are available at a lot of LC hotels worldwide. A list of participating properties is available in the specials section of the LC website.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 6:16 am
Suspended

While the rate you quote might not be a bad deal considering its close to New Years we stayed there around last Easter of 218 euros for the room.
( two stayers)

Nice hotel and got upgraded to nice room/suite, but I was not very impressed by the restaurant Goldener Hirsch. Suggest you try the more casual and interesting " Carpe Diem" on the pedestrian mall just down from the hotel rear entrance.
Also note a markup charge is added to any tours booked by the concierege.

mike
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Put me down as one of those people who likes the GH. In fact, I would say that it is my favorite Starwood property. And, I love Salzburg.

Agree with what those above have said--old world charm (100s of years old building, beamed ceilings, antique furniture, etc) at the GH; traditional modern American hotel is the Sheraton. For the experience, stay at the GH. It always amazes American kids -- so proud of a country 200+ years old -- to stay in a building much older!

I also would consider staying 2 nights. If you only stay one night....what, you arrive early afternoon, spend some time in town, overnight, and sometime the next morning, you are packing and getting ready to head on. Two nights in town gives you a full day to explore, plus part of your arrival day and part of your departure day. IMHO
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA LT GS/5MM, DL 3MMGold, HHDia, HyattGlob, IHG Spire Amb, Marr Plat/LTG, SPG LTP
I'm definitely in the GH adoration club. The age, history and location make it a fabulous place, though it is a bit quirky. I also agree that staying 2 nights makes better sense than 1 night. Yes, one can see Salzburg city in a day, but why rush such a nice experience?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Since you're there with teens, definitely the Goldener Hirsch. The streets right around the hotel are filled with interesting places to poke around, full of history and terrific foodstuffs. The sausage stands in the platz are a great way to learn where our national foods come from - and they're affordable, as well.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 8:17 am

Thanks for all the replies. We'll actually be coming in from Schliersee, about 45 min to an hour away, so we'd get there early. We have a timeshare at Schliersee so we won't need much in the way of packing/upacking during the Salzburg visit, we just want to stay there to experience the city and it sounds like the GH is the way to go.

Our plan right now is to visit the city, the fortress, the salt mine and there also seems to be an ice cave nearby. I think we should be able to cover this in two full days there and then plan what we'll do when we come back in the future. We have a lot of things packed into the 10 days of this trip.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:33 am

I just wanted to report back that we went to the Goldener Hirsch last week and we are now also part of its fan club. WE had a great stay there and it wouldn't have been the same if we had used the Sheraton. All the local sights are close to the GH and it we do not get to stay in 600 year old buildings in the US.

We were upgraded to adjoining Festival rooms. They were fairly large with a sitting area and a separate dressing room. The hotel is indeed quirky with lots of hallways, low doors and passage ways (my 6ft 6" son had to duck a lot) but very nice, very friendly staff. Way different than any business oriented hotel. I think this is definitely the Starwood hotel to stay at when in Salzburg.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 5:50 pm

I have a question for those who've stayed at Goldener Hirsch.

What is the difference between Classic, Exclusive and Festival Rooms? Is the Festival Room a duplex space? Is there a tub and a separate shower in the Festival room?

There are some reviews on tripadvisor that mentioned there are guestrooms located ACROSS the street from the main hotel. What room types are those?

Originally Posted by emuyshondt
I just wanted to report back that we went to the Goldener Hirsch last week and we are now also part of its fan club. WE had a great stay there and it wouldn't have been the same if we had used the Sheraton. All the local sights are close to the GH and it we do not get to stay in 600 year old buildings in the US.

We were upgraded to adjoining Festival rooms. They were fairly large with a sitting area and a separate dressing room. The hotel is indeed quirky with lots of hallways, low doors and passage ways (my 6ft 6" son had to duck a lot) but very nice, very friendly staff. Way different than any business oriented hotel. I think this is definitely the Starwood hotel to stay at when in Salzburg.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 7:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I stayed at the GH last November (2006). As this was my first visit I have little to compare to other rooms. We wound up in one of the rooms across the street (on the 3rd or 4th floor) It was nice but not great. Are certain rooms or locations better. (and how do you make sure you get one.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.