Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Venice [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Venice [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by StarpointsSlave
But then, with an instant Starpoint award of 1500 Starpoints per person for the very good buffet breakfast (50 euros otherwise) offered by the hotel, why wouldn't I.
We took advantage of the 3k for breakfast for 2 as well. Breakfast on the Grand Canal was nice. The food was very good but it would probably cost half that in a place without such a view.

The E&R is probably a little farther from a breakfast place, but not like you can't walk for 10 minutes and find something.

We really enjoyed the E&R, it is a really nice hotel and the location is great. Despite being so close to St. Marks, you have to go down a small alleyway to a small quiet square where the hotel entrance is. We stayed on points when it was a cat 4 for 10k/night.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
Best SPG Hotel in Venice, Italy, Best time of year?

Want to plan ultimate trip to Venice, Italy from Los Angeles. What is best SPG hotel and best time of year to go? Also, what airline to fly using FF miles from Los Angeles?

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:39 am

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
If you want to fly in Luxury, I would say Air France First class or BA First class on Miles.

Otherwise, you can get there several different ways, Air France, Delta (I believe), KLM, British Airways, etc. It is all about the same, at least one connection needs to be made.

Cheers,

Timo
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:30 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
If you think you might decide the Gritti Palace is the ultimate SPG hotel in Venice (which would not be a baseless conclusion), and if you're planning to book an award stay rather than cash, be aware that the Gritti is one of the few properties that we know will be upgraded from category 6 to the new category 7 on Feb. 1. So you should try to book your award stay before then. Other Venice SPG hotels may also go up in category, so it's not a bad strategy regardless of which you pick.

The only Starwood hotel I've stayed in in Venice is the Hotel des Bains Venice Lido. While it's quite nice, I would have to say it's surely not Starwood's best in Venice.

I like Venice in September. October is also nice, but the cooler the weather gets, in general, the higher the chance of acqua alta. I've not been in the spring, but I'd imagine it's a good second choice. I have been in the winter, and do not recommend it. Venice loses a large part of its charm when everything's gray and half the places are closed. I also do not recommend July or August. The heat is a minor problem then; the crowds are a much larger problem.

Last edited by Helena Handbaskets; Jan 23, 2007 at 11:36 am
Old Jan 23, 2007, 3:42 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Like HH I like Venice in the fall. We love going there in October. There is a risk of high water, but it never has interfered with our fun. We've got 10 nights scheduled there again next year.

Sidenote: October is the beginning of white truffle season

For airfare from LAX, you might consider Virgin upper class. It's wonderful -- massages in the air, spacious sleeping pods-- great service (and the lounge at Heathrow is an experience in itself) You do need another small flight from Heathrow, but it's a short flight and Lufthansa, BMI and Air France all fly LHR-VCE. When we fly through London we usually spend a couple of days there, but you could fly same day and the Virgin lounge would make it easy (it has everything :showers, haircuts, manicures, and restaurants)

We're trying to burn all of our Delta miles now and you can no longer use them on Virgin so we're flying Air France Biz again next time. We tried their biz service to Austria this fall and were pleasantly surprised with the service. They also have the bonus of checking your luggage straight through.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: DL Silver
Venice -- which is more likely to upgrade?

Hey folks! Looking for some opinions here.

I'm planning my honeymoon for late April (THIS April!) in Venice, a place my fiancee and I have always wanted to see. After discovering that the new Hilton won't be open until this summer, I've resigned myself to actually shelling out cash for lodging. A LOT of cash, as I've discovered.

We have 5 nights in Venice, and we've decided we'd like to split time between a luxury and a boutique hotel, either a 3/2 or a 2/3 split. Thanks to the helpful advice in this forum, I was able to get Platinum status comped, with *wood, and now I'd like to try it out.

I've narrowed it down to either the Hotel Danieli or the Westin Europa & Regina; both look gorgeous and convenient, and both get high marks from Flyertalk folks. So my question is -- what are the odds that I'll get an upgrade, being Platinum, and on my honeymoon? Anybody have any thoughts / advice?

thanks for any help!

Last edited by timothyp_787; Feb 24, 2007 at 2:38 pm
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I've never stayed at the Danieli, but I have at the E&R, twice.

Trip one: Huge suite on the top floor with a large patio and magnificent view of Venice.

Trip two: Two of us, both Platinum members, received side-by-side suites that opened directly onto the Grand Canal, right above the entrance to the hotel.

So, I've had two of my best-ever SPG Platinum upgrades at the E&R; I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:32 am

Programs: AA; AC; HHonors; SPG; BA
I cannot help you on the likelihood of upgrades, but staying in Venice tends to be cheaper during the week rather than the weekend. Also, better availability of rooms during the week (Monday to Thursday). Hope this helps.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:35 am
Suspended

Westin E&R is on the water, Danieli is not.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Um, yes the Danieli is on the water. The hotel boat pulls up to their private door on a small canal and the front of the hotel faces the grand canal.

I have never tried any hotel in VCE other than the Danieli. I should perhaps, but my stays there are precious and don't want to waste time with other hotels. I have always been given great Platinum upgrades at the Danieli.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL Silver
Yeah, I've already figured out that weekday stays are cheaper than weekends, and that makes sense to me; we're probably looking at Wed-Fri or Thu-Fri night somewhere else. But I'm itching to try one of the Starwoods.

For those of you that were upgraded --- what time of year were you there?
Old Feb 24, 2007, 2:58 pm

Why Not The Gritti?

I had never before been to Venice either, so my wife took me to Venice in May 2005. We stayed at the Danieli for the first several nights and the Gritti Palace on the last night of the trip. Although the Gritti Palace is a smaller hotel, I found it to be much more charming and inviting than the Danieli.

Also, if you decide to stay at the Danieli and as many others have already pointed out, be sure to guarantee a room in the OLD building, not the new one.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by exawb
Also, if you decide to stay at the Danieli and as many others have already pointed out, be sure to guarantee a room in the OLD building, not the new one.
You know the "new" building is over 100 years old, right? I've stayed in both and thoroughly enjoyed them both.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Stayed at Westin E&R in June 2006 and we were upgraded to a fabulous suite with wraparound terrace on the top floor, great views of the canal and Santa Maria della Salute. Staff was terrific, and we'll stay there again. We stopped by the Danielli and Gritti Palace, both look like terrific and romantic places to stay as well. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these properties!
Old Feb 24, 2007, 8:20 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Danieli Has My Vote

Originally Posted by timothyp_787
Hey folks! Looking for some opinions here.

I'm planning my honeymoon for late April (THIS April!) in Venice, a place my fiancee and I have always wanted to see. After discovering that the new Hilton won't be open until this summer, I've resigned myself to actually shelling out cash for lodging. A LOT of cash, as I've discovered.

We have 5 nights in Venice, and we've decided we'd like to split time between a luxury and a boutique hotel, either a 3/2 or a 2/3 split. Thanks to the helpful advice in this forum, I was able to get Platinum status comped, with *wood, and now I'd like to try it out.

I've narrowed it down to either the Hotel Danieli or the Westin Europa & Regina; both look gorgeous and convenient, and both get high marks from Flyertalk folks. So my question is -- what are the odds that I'll get an upgrade, being Platinum, and on my honeymoon? Anybody have any thoughts / advice?

thanks for any help!
Stay at the Danieli two years ago on points. I was upgraded to a deluxe suite and free breakfast. At that time I was a SPG Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.