Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Union Square, New York 2006 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Union Square, New York 2006 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Arrow W Union Square, New York 2006 on [Master Thread]

Anyone have an opinion on staying at W Union Square in a Wonderful room at 299/nt or a Superior queen at the Soho Grand also 299/nt?

The Soho Grand says Superiors are 225 sq ft and are ideal for one person. Can 2 fit in the room?

How big are the Wonderful rooms at the W Union Sq?

One post I found said 400 sq ft (they thought)?

That is a big difference in size especially if I want another person in the room too.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Dec 1, 2008 at 8:45 am Reason: Thread with pre 2006 reports can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=894332
Old Feb 14, 2006, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chuck1
Anyone have an opinion on staying at W Union Square in a Wonderful room at 299/nt or a Superior queen at the Soho Grand also 299/nt?

The Soho Grand says Superiors are 225 sq ft and are ideal for one person. Can 2 fit in the room?

How big are the Wonderful rooms at the W Union Sq?

One post I found said 400 sq ft (they thought)?

That is a big difference in size especially if I want another person in the room too.
W Union Square.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 3:45 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
60 Thompson
Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P, *wood Goold
Recently spent 5 nights (award) there and absolutely loved it... great location, nice staff and celebs everywhere. I now have stayed at all of the NYC Ws and my favorite by far. Never been to the Grand before, but just loved the W.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CookieKing
Recently spent 5 nights (award) there and absolutely loved it... great location, nice staff and celebs everywhere. I now have stayed at all of the NYC Ws and my favorite by far. Never been to the Grand before, but just loved the W.
I agree- this is by far my favourite W in NYC as well. The Grand is overhyped, overpriced for what it is, and underserviced. If you are going to spend that type of money (because if you don't book at least a deluxe room you will be in a closet) go for the Trump on Central Park West- a suite there is lovely. The staff at the Union Sq W are fantastic!
Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:01 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I'll go ahead and be contrarian just to point out that while the W Union Square is very nice, Union Square itself has become a bit of a chain mall . . . the surrounding ambience at the SoHo Grand is still doing pretty well (as long as you don't get a room facing the Holland Tunnel, anyway). But I don't know what the SoHo Grand's rooms are like.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 5:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
My vote is the SoHo Grand.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

W Union Square NYC is a Virtuoso property

Just noticed this>

Virtuoso benefits:
Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Special Virtuoso rates
Complimentary Continental breakfast daily via room service
4 PM late check-out

IIRC Lurker said as long as you do not pay the TA, you can earn Starpoints at the normal rate for the stay.

If there are specific upgrades, I will edit this post with that information.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Hi, I actually never heard of Virtuoso. Can you elaborate a bit more? Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.virtuoso.com
http://hotels.dinersclubus.com/ (not a Diners Club benefit, just lists Virtuoso benefits)

Virtuoso is like American Express' Fine Hotel and Resorts (FHR) program (for Platinum cardholders) except anyone can book, just go through a Travel Agent that is a member. There is no cost or any requirements other than that.

Like FHR, there are a fair number of Starwood properties that are included.

FHR upgrades can even be better than standard SPG upgrades.
Grand Bretagne Athens - 1BR Suite > 2BR Suite
Westin St John - 1BR Villa > 2BR Villa > 3BR Villa

Those would be if available upgrades, which is always the case with FHR unless you have a Centurion card. However, with Virtuoso some of their properties do confirmed upgrades at time of booking. (You can see them on the Diners Club site) Although I don't remember any Starwood properties doing that, probably for the obvious reason that it would reduce the number of upgrades available for Plats and Golds.

edit - I'm pretty sure they just added the W US recently.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 26, 2006 at 12:39 pm
Old Oct 29, 2006, 6:21 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, FPC Plat, SPG Gold, NW Silver
Originally Posted by vivrant
Thanks! This is indeed very valuable information... I'll look into them next time when I make a booking (can't do FHR since I don't have a Platinum or Centurion card).
So as a SPG Gold/Amex Plat what would it be best to book via Virtuoso (travel agent) @ W Union Sq? I don't think that it is a FHR property?

With the same scenario, I assume it would be best to book the St. Regis via FHR?

Cheers!
Old Oct 29, 2006, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Thanks to a conference, my wife and I will be staying at the W Union Square for a night in early November. The front desk said I was booked into a "Wonderful Room," though I'm not quite sure how good that is compared to any of the other rooms (can you tell I've never been in a W before?). My wife is SPG Gold, so given that and the OP, what should we expect during our stay? (I will be paying there; the corporate travel agent booked but did not pay for the room.)

Are there any promotions I should sign up for, to maximize Starpoints? Unfortunately, we were not selected for any targeted offers from spgpromos.com...

Any "insider tips" from previous guests would, of course, be welcome.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 9:36 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, FPC Plat, SPG Gold, NW Silver
cepheid,

"Wonderful" is the standard room. As an SPG gold, I can tell you that all I have ever rec'd is a higher floor room, maybe "best in same class" but no significant upgrade. That being said, they are decent sized rooms as compared to W NY, and W Times Sq. I have never stayed at the other two (where the rooms are supposedly the biggest of the NY W's)
You may want to check with your travel agent to see if they are a Virtuoso agency. I am not sure how W Union Sq. will treat it, but I have rec'd pretty nice Virtuoso upgrades at other hotels.
You are definitely in a GREAT neighborhood. If weather permits, take a few walks and check it out. SoHo and the Village are pretty close to the south, and there is plenty to do in the vicinity. There are often markets/events right across the street in the square. HAVE FUN!
IF you are looking for specific recommendations, fire away, I (and many others) will do my (our) best.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:53 pm

W Union Square NYC

What is the layout of this property. How many floors... Rooms per floor ..etc etc.
Are there sepcial rooms to request? Also what is the closest subway access?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by golfer727272
Also what is the closest subway access?
Union Square.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.