Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Excelsior - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Excelsior - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:09 am

Search indicates that a taxi is the best way from airport to town but that information is a year old. Has anyone tried the bus lately? We are going to the Westin Excelsior. Thanks
Old Jun 24, 2006, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Have not come in from the airport, but from the main train station it is a very quick cab ride (e 10?) or a 10 min walk-- very easily done, unless you have a lot of luggage.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 7:48 pm

Thanks, that helps. The bus takes you from the airport to the main train station (but there might be other stops). If it is only 10 min walk, that is doable, the luggage follows me wherever I go so it's not a problem.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 9:41 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
If you're wanting to go airport to hotel....CAB! Thanks for reactivating this link. Brings back fond memories!!!!!!! Bittersweet!
Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Da5id
Well, here's another question. Generically, when you take the train in Europe from an airport to your destination city, is it easy to get around with luggage? I kind of get this mental picture of what it would be like on the Long Island Railroad with golf clubs, suitcase and laptop. Please tell me it's not like that .....

Most train stations are pretty easy. some places are very difficult. Bologna requires down two flights of stairs, and then back up. if the train changes tracks, it is down and back up again. Venice has a large set of steps out front. use the handicapped exit. transfer at the french-italian border requires down and back up again.

If you are as old as I am, and travel with as much luggage as my wife does, find a porter(except in Venice....way too expensive)
Old Sep 2, 2006, 3:43 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Thumbs down Westin Excelsior Florence

I was going to stay at the Westin in Florence this month and I wanted the concierge to find some tix to Pearl Jam, who was playing 25-30 minutes from Florence. I don't often use the concierges, however I felt this was a perfect time, and an easy enough request.

1st response from the Head Concierge was he has no contacts to get tickets there. Keep trying.

After a follow-up e-mail the 2nd response recommended to "go to the concert the day of and try and buy from the scalped market."

I contacted Starwood and the manager of the hotel followed up with a suggestion that I should "continue checking on the ticketing website b/c more may be available".

I followed back up with the Concierge again with the repeated request that as I am not there currently if he could find prices for me from the "scalped market" or if there was a broker he could get speak to or if there was another concierge he could speak to, such as at the Grand Hotel. His response "i do not have any contacts there".

Here's the kicker, I contacted American Express Concierge and the woman found tickets for me within five hours.

As the Westin Excelsior is a Category 5 I expected a certain level of service. In addition I know they are considered a top hotel in Italy, if not Europe. I have heard of concierges at top hotels getting helicopters for guests or handling other exotic requests. Concert tickets? Guess it was too much to ask for. The topper on this whole thing is I sent an e-mail to the Park Lane London concierge for a follow-up on some concert tickets there. It's been six days with no reply. While I love Starwood US I had to cancel my 4 stays/14 nights with an included complaint to Starwood & the manager (not that it will do anything ).
Old Sep 2, 2006, 5:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
I totally agree with you on this one. As a concierge for a top hotel, one of your duties is to have "connects" to get your guests into most publically accessible events, and sometimes even those that are not for the general public. My honest opinion is they really did not want to bother with your request for whatever reason.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Hotel is great though. I was there last weekend.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I've stayed there. "Great" hotel? Not based on the OP's experience.

The request for such a highly-rated hotel is very reasonable. Failure to obtain tickets knocks the hotel down serveral levels. Period.

It is not a great hotel. It is an "ok " hotel.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:17 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I've stayed there. "Great" hotel? Not based on the OP's experience.

The request for such a highly-rated hotel is very reasonable. Failure to obtain tickets knocks the hotel down serveral levels. Period.

It is not a great hotel. It is an "ok " hotel.
It is a great hotel service aside. Building, history, character, location etc.

I agree that the service is just "OK" but that is the norm for Westins.

At 200 euros a night it is good value.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:13 pm

When I was there last year the Concierge made a big deal about getting two tickets for the Uffizi Gallery as it was sold out online. He got them, but at a premium ... yet the day we went there were people buing them right there.

Next time, i'll stay across the square at the Grand Hotel...another SPG. Looked great - different.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by free101girl
A meal at Osteria Cinghiale Bianco is an absolute must. This restaurant is very close to the hotel and probably the BEST food I have ever eaten! Be sure to have your concierge book a table for you, because it is very popular and we had to wait even WITH a reservation. We saw people being turned away without reservations.

The atmosphere is typically Florentine and the owner is very friendly. Very reasonably priced – we paid €116 for two people, for an outstanding three course meal plus bottled water, bread, dessert and coffee, and price included a €40 bottle of wine. There are plenty of less expensive choices on the wine list.
We had an excellent stay at the Westin Florence over New Year's. An upgrade will mean a view of the Arno river, or maybe piazza Ognissanti.

I second the Osteria Cinghiale Bianco suggestion, with the caveat that you order bottled wine and not the house wine. (yes, we're snobs!) It's a very nice walk from the Westin.

There are a few great casual wine bars around the corner from the Westin's entrance, there are on the street called Borgo Ognissanti.

As a rule, the further you get from the Westin & Duomo, the less expensive restaurants will be.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Award stay, August 2007 - 3 nights in an upgraded room award.

We had a 1st floor room, facing the Arno. But, we were right over the bar, with outdoor tables - and Italians stay out drinking later at night than I care to. I had a hard time sleeping without Ambien, but Mrs CO FF didn't notice any issue. YMMV.

The biggest problem we had here was that the room had no electric outlet with 110 volt current. Fortunately, my shaver was charged enough to last the 3 days -- but my Blackberry wasn't. So, I spent an hour+ in the "business center" using the free internet, while my bberry recharged (enough to get thru the next 2 days) via the USB cable I carry.

The concierge recommended what turned out to be our favorite restaurant of the trip, Fiore del Acqua (i think that's the name), on the south side of the Arno not too far from the hotel. Otherwise, we didn't use them for anything.

The hotel offers "points for stuff", which we used (6,000 points to get the breakfast buffet for two, on the morning we were taking the train to Rome). Nice, filling breakfast - a mix of food for both American & Italian tastes.

My wife says this was her favorite of the trip; I preferred the Eden. We both put them ahead of the Danieli, fwiw.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:22 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond
During our recent stay at this hotel, I took serious issue with the concierge's restaurant recommendation. The night we arrived we asked for a local restaurant and were sent to the absolute definition of a tourist trap. The concierge claimed that the staff all ate there as well as many locals. There was not one Italian customer in this restaurant, nor do I believe there ever had been. Needless to say, we did not ask for any further recommendations.

We did love Santo Bevitore which is very close to the hotel across the river. The gelato at the place right across the river was great as well.

Couldn't you just plug your electronics in using a plug adapter?
Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:15 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Over rated in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.