Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Excelsior - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Excelsior - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5 Star
Junior Suite Question

Would anyone know if the Excelsior offers non smoking junior suites? When I try and use a Suite Night award SPG offers two Junior Suite options. Upon utilization, the email lists both options as smoking suites.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: Free Agent
If you pick breakfast as a platinum amenity, is it a full breakfast? Or if it's just a continental, is there an upcharge to a full breakfast? Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:58 pm

When I was there in the spring, we were given the full buffet breakfast with no up charge. It was really quite lovely and a wonderful amenity.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: Free Agent
This is a grand hotel a 5-10 minute walk west of Florence’s main tourist attractions. Taxi from the airport was a fixed 20 Euro rate (with a 1 Euro per bag fee). Trip took less than 15 minutes. If you’re coming from the train station, it’s a 10-15 minute walk.

Had previously upgraded my room using Suite Night Awards, and was told that I was given the largest junior suite in the hotel. What I got was a room smaller than the size of a normal Westin in the US. Maybe 350 square feet. There was a sliding wall between the bedroom and living room, which maybe caused the hotel to call it a junior suite. I actually went online and checked to see if I was actually given a normal room or a junior suite! The bathroom was surprisingly large though – it was the same size as the living room!

After banging my shins against the furniture twice, I went back downstairs and asked if any larger rooms were available. The receptionist talked to the manager, and took me up to a new room. While still a junior suite, it was literally more than twice the size of my previous room. In addition to the bathtub, there was a walk-in shower. The room faced the Arno, and had two very small balconies that you can step out on. It also had metal shades like a garage door that you can raise or lower due to the building’s exterior lighting. My only complaint about the room was that the lighting was poor outside of the bathroom. In probably what’s an effort to save on electricity, all the bulbs are extremely dim and low-powered. It becomes very noticeable at night.

The hotel itself is a gem. I was told that it was originally a monastery, and then owned by an art collector. As such, there’s artwork scattered throughout the hotel, and provides a great ambiance. I chose a full breakfast as my platinum amenity. The buffet selection was a bit sparse, and is more of a continental selection. But it did have an omelet station. Definitely nothing to write home about. I was also told that I could order breakfast via room service at no additional charge. Housekeeping was efficient. My room was always made up by the time I returned in the early afternoon. However, I only received one bath towel a day, and had to request extras everyday.

The gym is a decent size, and has a good selection of cardio equipment and weights. The concierges are friendly, and upon asking for some restaurant recommendations, was given a few options that were on my list that I had already compiled from reviews online. I’ll definitely be back at this hotel if I’m ever in Florence again!

Last edited by Condition One; Mar 5, 2013 at 10:52 am
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We're going to give the St. Regis in Florence another try. Booked two rooms for three nights. We'll see how it goes this time.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I just did a single night there on points. I'm just a Gold, so I really wasn't expecting much (I never expect over what I book - that way I can get a pleasant surprise). The person at the Front Desk was wonderfully nice and helpful. He ended up giving me what I thought was a very nice room that overlooked the piazza between the Westin and the St. Regis. Not a river view, but it was nice and quiet and, I thought, a large King room. I asked for, and was granted, a late checkout for the next day (3pm). After that, the Bell desk held my luggage so I could go back out into town for a meal (and some gelato) and a little final shopping. I selected the free drink voucher as my Gold gift. I was an excellent choice! I used it up on the rooftop at bar. Got a very tasty blackberry and shiraz martini, which would have cost a few coin. With the martini, I was served several dishes of different nuts and chips. I was up there at 11pm - I sat outside and sipped my martini with a very nice view. Even if you don't have a free drink voucher, go up there and order something. As I was leaving, I stopped and asked the bartender how he made that martini. He showed me step by step.
I really wish I could have spent more time there, but I had to get back to Rome. But, the next time I get to Florence, I will definitely stay there!
Oh - across the bridge there by the Westin (the bridge toward the Ponte Vecchio), there is a very good gelato shop!!! Gelateria La Carraia. I had the most tasty ricotta and pear flavored gelato there a week ago. It had the little tart/sour cream taste of the ricotta, but the pear flavor jumped out to give the sweet. I think my one scoop cone was 2.5EU...
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Any recent reports? How are plats treated?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Any recent reports? Any luck with suite nights?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CO/UA Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
I was scheduled to stay at the Westin for 3 nights a few weeks ago, however it ended up needing to close for a couple weeks do to mandatory maintenance. They were extremely accommodating and booked us a room at the St. Regis across the street for the same amount of points. So can't speak to the actual hotel, but if service on the property at all resembles how they handled the move, I would expect it to be spot on. As for the St. Regis itself, top 2-3 hotels I've had the privilege of experiencing. Flawless property. ^
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
I just completed a 5 night stay at this property. First time in Florence, and first time in this hotel. Booked the 5 nights on points and requested suite upgrades. The SNA request cleared 4 days prior to check in. We were upgraded to a junior suite on the 4th floor overlooking the Arno river. The suite appeared to have been recently renovated: everything was in pristine condition.
We arrived at the property at around 12:30, and were informed that the room wasn't going to be ready until 2pm. Not a problem, we dropped off the luggage and went off to explore the town. We actually came back to the hotel at 6pm, got our keys, and headed to the room. Our bags had been neatly placed in the room while we were out.
Plat breakfast included full buffet with cooked-to-order omelets. Great service and beautiful setting.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
Here now as part of a five night award stay

Pros: lovely building, convenient location with an easy walk to the train station. Room is nicely decorated and large enough - a junior suite with a nice marble entry area, living room with couch, chair and desk, and TV, high ceilings, bedroom with an actual king sized bed and two night stands. Bathroom is huge, with soaking tub, separate shower, two sinks and separate toilet area separated by a glass door

Cons: tried to use suite night awards to in avail, but did end up In a junior suite, but Room is in second floor overlooking street and extremely noisy at night at in the morning. Was told at checkin in could select breakfast as plat amenity, and they assured us it was the full breakfast, but first morning 4 different people in the restaurant insisted no free breakfast at all, just a discount from 40 euro to 25 euro for being a member. Front desk finally fixed that, but they seem just as confused the second day. Service at breakfast was nonexistent. Four people came and asked if we wanted coffee, we said yes each time, but did not show up for over fifteen minutes after that. Gym contains two ellipticals, one of which is broken , three bikes, one of which is broken, two treadmills, chest press and leg lift. All the equipment seemed old and in bad shape. First two days in water showed up, but third day they did bring two bottle of water to the room.

Still happy to get a room here in points, and since this is first time here, maybe all of this is typical for Florence, but those our our perceptions.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
from train station to hotel

Have read a few times that hotel is walkable from train. Do people agree? How much is a taxi?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
Walk Time

Originally Posted by anandrag
Have read a few times that hotel is walkable from train. Do people agree? How much is a taxi?

It is about a 10 minute walk. My wife and I did it going both ways - each with a large roller suitcase and a carry-on. No problem.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Have 3 nights booked here on points, but under the hot escapes looks like I could get a room for $320-350. Maybe time to splurge and earn some points!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Have 3 nights booked here on points, but under the hot escapes looks like I could get a room for $320-350. Maybe time to splurge and earn some points!
That's a nice rate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.