Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Brussels, Belgium, CLOSED Jun '14, to reopen as Hilton [Master Thread]

Le Meridien Brussels, Belgium, CLOSED Jun '14, to reopen as Hilton [Master Thread]

Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - Lifetime Plat
Arrow Le Meridien Brussels, Belgium, CLOSED Jun '14, to reopen as Hilton [Master Thread]

Hi All ......... I did do a search for Le Merdien Brussels, but I got very few results, and nothing informative about this specific property.

I am thinking of staying at the Le Meridien Brussels location in September and was hoping I could get some feedback on this location from anyone who has stayed there recently.

Also, I have Gold status with SPG but I almost never stay at Starwood hotels. If I stay at Le Meridien will I be upgraded as a Gold, or will I receive complimentary breakfast based on it?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:18 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by CA Platinum
...Also, I have Gold status with SPG but I almost never stay at Starwood hotels. If I stay at Le Meridien will I be upgraded as a Gold, or will I receive complimentary breakfast based on it?

Thanks in advance!
If the Le Meridien participates in SPG, then you can be upgraded to a Preferred Room, subject to availability at check-in. Breakfast is not a benefit at any level of membership in SPG.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:55 pm
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by CA Platinum
Hi All ......... I did do a search for Le Merdien Brussels, but I got very few results, and nothing informative about this specific property.

I am thinking of staying at the Le Meridien Brussels location in September and was hoping I could get some feedback on this location from anyone who has stayed there recently.

Also, I have Gold status with SPG but I almost never stay at Starwood hotels. If I stay at Le Meridien will I be upgraded as a Gold, or will I receive complimentary breakfast based on it?

Thanks in advance!
I stayed there one night last month. Pleasant enough hotel, although the restaurant was closed for renovations that night - they served food in the bar instead. The pool we'd been hoping to use didn't exist (it was advertised on the website), I raised this afterwards and the website has now been corrected (reference to pool removed).

The location is pretty good, not exactly "Quite simply the best location in Brussels" as claimed, but it's not at all bad. Very convenient to the central railway station, and just a short walk to the main square. At check-in I requested a late check-out, and was offered something short of 4pm (I'm gold) which was the "best they could do". I opened the gold key wallet they'd just handed me, and showed them the "guaranteed 4pm check-out" part, and they then managed to improve their best offer and gave me a 4pm check out.

Don't know about breakfast, we got something nearby after being underwhelmed by the bar food for dinner (nothing terrible about the dinner, but nothing remarkable either). Room was bakingly hot, a/c wasn't really able to keep up (it was a hot few days). Reading what I've just written it sounds terrible, but I'd go back there ... good location, plenty of places to eat nearby, good transport connections.

Upgrades? Don't know, didn't ask. I guess not in my case!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by SLF
I stayed there one night last month. Pleasant enough hotel, although the restaurant was closed for renovations that night - they served food in the bar instead. The pool we'd been hoping to use didn't exist (it was advertised on the website), I raised this afterwards and the website has now been corrected (reference to pool removed).

The location is pretty good, not exactly "Quite simply the best location in Brussels" as claimed, but it's not at all bad. Very convenient to the central railway station, and just a short walk to the main square. At check-in I requested a late check-out, and was offered something short of 4pm (I'm gold) which was the "best they could do". I opened the gold key wallet they'd just handed me, and showed them the "guaranteed 4pm check-out" part, and they then managed to improve their best offer and gave me a 4pm check out.

Don't know about breakfast, we got something nearby after being underwhelmed by the bar food for dinner (nothing terrible about the dinner, but nothing remarkable either). Room was bakingly hot, a/c wasn't really able to keep up (it was a hot few days). Reading what I've just written it sounds terrible, but I'd go back there ... good location, plenty of places to eat nearby, good transport connections.

Upgrades? Don't know, didn't ask. I guess not in my case!
Thank you SLF and Starwood Lurker for your reply.

I have opted for the "5 star" Sheraton Hotel&Towers in Brussels for two nights, and I will spend my last night at the Sheraton right across from BRU airport.

I was able to book the 5 star for 89 Euro per night.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:35 pm

Programs: SPG LTP
I know Brussels quite well: not sure how flexible your bookings are, but LM is far (as in 'FAR') superior in terms of location than the Sheraton, whereas rooms/service are similar overall (a bit bigger at Sheraton I guess, but both hotels are equally luxurious in general). Airport Sheraton is good in you have early flight, but count on +-25min commute to get into the centre of the city.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Stayed at the Meriden for two nights last week. The location was perfect for us. It is literally right across the street from Gare Central and less than five minutes from the Grand Place.

Was upgraded to a junior suite on the third floor. Room was dated (the hotel's website says the 2nd and 4th floors have been renovated), but was fine. My only complaint was the lack of a duvet. I HATE the wool blanket wedged between two sheets arrangement, which is what the room had.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador (lifetime Platinum), Avis Presidents Club
Staying in the Le Meridien Brussels today. I recently transferred my job to the United Kingdom, so when my secretary booked this trip for me, she didn't include any of my frequent guest information. Interestingly, upon arrival I asked them to add my SPG number to the reservation and the guy that was checking me in asked me to wait while he summoned his manager. The manager came over and worked with the front desk agent to find me a "suitable room." I ended up with a corner junior suite. Nothing spectacular, but a nice hotel room with very nice space to work which was actually just what I needed. I guess I'm not really posting about the upgrade per se, but just that I was very pleased with the front desk staff taking the time to figure out what was best for me without me really asking.

Ended up ordering room service because I had quite a bit to do and despite the limited menu as compared to their restuarant downstairs, the food was up within a half hour, which I'm not too accustomed to and was actually decent for room service.

Location seems good, but I won't get a chance to really explore the area unfortunately.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the hotel participate in SPG? For some reason, when I went to modify my reservation, it wouldn't let me enter my SPG numnber saying that the property doesn't participate.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:07 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
As of October 27, 2007, they were part of SPG. For the first time this year I actually received a room upgrade as a Gold.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:36 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by YOWkid
Does the hotel participate in SPG? For some reason, when I went to modify my reservation, it wouldn't let me enter my SPG numnber saying that the property doesn't participate.
Le Meridien Bruxelles participates at Category 4, so either one of two things was at work here: 1) you tried to do this while some of our systems were down over the weekend, or 2) it is part of a larger issue that a ticket has already been opened for.

Regardless, my apologies for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 19, 2007, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hm, it still didn't work after the systems were fixed.

I must admit, I got tired and fed up with trying to play with the system and just rebooked at the Radisson SAS where they offer free internet.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:31 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by YOWkid
Hm, it still didn't work after the systems were fixed.

I must admit, I got tired and fed up with trying to play with the system and just rebooked at the Radisson SAS where they offer free internet.
If you can get a room on the non atrium side, go for it. The free internet is hard to beat. Restaurant is v. good as well. However, the Le Meridien has window that open wide! I love this, fresh air is a hard thing to get in a hotel these days.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Recently did 4 nights at the LM Brussels (having stayed there several times before). Really, the location vs. the Sheraton is a no brainer. You can walk just about everywhere in the old part of the city from the LM. The Sheraton is a train/subway ride then walk from whatever attractions you want to see.

The front desk staff was pretty good. They gave me a junior suite upgrade, which was just a larger, corner room, on the 5th floor. They even somehow knew it was my birthday, and they sent up a bottle of champagne and some Wittamer chocolates. As for the internet, they have this weird thing where they charge you by the minute for up to 3 hours, then it's 25 euro/day iirc.

The concierge wasn't really helpful at all. It appears that the bell staff uses the same desk as the concierge. I never saw more than one actual concierge on duty at a time, and he was always busy. If he wasn't, he'd pawn you off onto one of the bellmen anyway.

My big complaint is the bed. It was BY FAR the hardest, most uncomfortable hotel bed that I've ever slept in. After two days of sleeping in it, my back actually hurt. Stretching, etc, didn't help. I ended up making a bed on the floor out of the couch cushions for the last two nights.

I'm as loyal as possible to SPG. But on my next trip to Brussels where I'm dropping 200-300 euro/night, I think I'll pass on SPG and stay again at Hotel Amigo.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by thechosenuno
Recently did 4 nights at the LM Brussels (having stayed there several times before). Really, the location vs. the Sheraton is a no brainer. You can walk just about everywhere in the old part of the city from the LM. The Sheraton is a train/subway ride then walk from whatever attractions you want to see
Agreed, the LM is closer, but the Sheraton is still only 10 minutes walk from the Grand Place.
Old May 4, 2009, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC, HH, Avis, Hertz
stayed last week april 2009

Stayed at le Meridien Brussels Sun-Thursday, checking out 30/4. On the plus side, I was upgraded to a junior suite on the 4th floor, room very big, but with a small window. Otherwise I really liked the room. Very decent sized seating area. There is a pleasant but small bar on the ground floor where you can have a continental breakfast if you want

On the downside, breakfast was a far too expensive 29 Euros for the American breakfast. No table service, entirely serve yourself. (they at least cleared away

My biggest issue was with the attitude of the staff. No-one acknowledged me (or any member of our party) as we entered or left the hotel. The concierge was always on the phone, or didn't look up; the receptionists didn't look up, no eye contact or smile or anything. (that's any and every time we walked into the hotel, from Sunday evening back to Thursday evening). Shame, really.

Possibly I had been spoiled by staying at the Four Seasons Dublin a few weeks earlier

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.