Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Brussels, Belgium, CLOSED Jun '14, to reopen as Hilton [Master Thread]

Le Meridien Brussels, Belgium, CLOSED Jun '14, to reopen as Hilton [Master Thread]

Old May 4, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I'm here this weekend. I have stayed here as a nothing, a gold and a plt and only once in the 10 stays I have been here have I gotten any sort of status recognition.

I'm guessing that this weekend will be the same, but maybe I'll even surprise myself.

I prefer this location to the Sheraton, but the Sheraton is nicer to SPG Plts.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:09 am

Just finished up a weekend stay here. Construction is currently ongoing around the vicinity of the hotel.

As platinum, I was upgraded to a suite on the 5th floor. A slight annoyance was that there was only one toilet - in the powder room near the entrance. The bathroom adjoining the master bedroom had a shower, seperate tub, and double sinks, but no toilet.

The hotel and hotel bar was very nice, but we didn't spend much time using many of the facilities. The business center offers free internet terminals.

As for the location, it is about as close as you can get to the Grand Place, and across the street from Gare Centrale. If you want to be in the city center, this is a pretty ideal location. That said, Sheraton Brussels is only a 10 minute walk to the center.

The Sheraton Brussels does not have suites, but does have a club lounge. The Le Meridian has suites but no lounge. Le Meridian decor is nicer than the Sheraton.

For me, it's somewhat of a toss-up between the two. We are planning to go back and are electing to stay at the Sheraton Brussels because of the lounge - its nice to have a place outside of the room to hang out.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, VS Red, BA Blue
Brussels hotels

Hi,

I'm a Starwood platinum member and I'm cashing in some of my points for 2 nights in Brussels. Has anyone had any experience with Le Meridian Brussels?

Thanks

Jan

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 6, 2010 at 7:13 pm Reason: Moved into master thread on topic
Old Feb 7, 2010, 5:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA-1P AB-Gold SPG-Plat Hilton-DIA Hyatt-DIA PC-Gold MR-Plat Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by kuroneko
The Sheraton Brussels does not have suites, but does have a club lounge. The Le Meridian has suites but no lounge. Le Meridian decor is nicer than the Sheraton.
The Sheraton Brussels does indeed have suites and a lot of them they are dated however. The do upgrade plats to those suites regularly. The view from the top floors is amazing.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by thomas199023
The Sheraton Brussels does indeed have suites and a lot of them they are dated however.
Dated is the word . They have not been renovated since opening. Indeed the view is gorgeous...
I prefer the rooms on the exec. floor, with a more "modern" touch.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tagv12
Hi,

I'm a Starwood platinum member and I'm cashing in some of my points for 2 nights in Brussels. Has anyone had any experience with Le Meridian Brussels?

Thanks

Jan
I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past 6 months. As noted below, there was a lot of construction in the area (and in the hotel) last summer which resulted in a temporary entrance and closure of the main lobby. The main lobby is now open (although the plaza between the hotel main entrance and the train station was still under construction as of October).

I like the hotel; it's clean, neat and halfway between the American "oh so contemporary" Meridien style and a European Luxury Collection property. Staff was attentive and friendly, rooms were well maintained and nicely appointed. I was upgraded to a junior suite both times. Will go back; I'm not a lounge person, so don't really care that there isn't one. There are tons of restaurants, coffee and chocolate shops, and sightseeing opportunities within a few minutes walk, and the train station is less than 3 minutes from the front door.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Just booked this place using C&P for 1 night. The 4P was less but seems further out of the Center and with limit time wanted to be centrally located.

Does anyone know if the train to/from the Airport services the Central Station which seems to be across the street from the LeM?

I read something about Midi Station , but it seems Central is on the same network

will be arriving from Bruges and the next morning have a 10am flight back to the States
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by craz

Does anyone know if the train to/from the Airport services the Central Station which seems to be across the street from the LeM?
It used to stop at Centraal as well ( and probably continued to Midi )

It is about 300 metres and one or two flights up to the street level from the tracks, but once you made it out of there, the LM will catch your eye ( 12 noon position, straight ahead ) Do not take the side exits and continue straight on to main portal.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 4:56 am

Programs: AZ CFP, OK Plat, LH FTL, SPG Plat, HH Dia, MR Gold, Carlson Gold, BW Dia, PC Plat AMB, Accor Plat
Thumbs up

I read something about Midi Station , but it seems Central is on the same network

will be arriving from Bruges and the next morning have a 10am flight back to the States
Both the train from Bruges and the Airport Express serve the three main Brussels Stations: Nord, Central and Midi (South). You should have no problem getting off in Central: just cross the square in front of the station and that's it (last time I was there there was construction work going on but you should have no problem to reach the hotel on foot).

Last edited by pieterde; Apr 30, 2010 at 3:32 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pieterde
Both the train from Bruges and the Airport Express serve the three main Brussels Stations: Nord, Central and Midi (South). You should have no problem getting off in Central: just cross the square in front of the station and that's it (last time I was there there was construction work going on but you should have no problem to reach the hotel on foot9.
Thanks that allows me to solidify my plans
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:21 am
Suspended

has anyone recently done C&P or a fully paid stay here recently

Im in for C&P and it came back as $60 and with the tx $77.81 or 30% in taxes SPG is looking into it for me as they too think something is wrong
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat

Im in for C&P and it came back as $60 and with the tx $77.81 or 30% in taxes SPG is looking into it for me as they too think something is wrong
We did a fully paid stay here recently - the going rate was fairly inexpensive (75 Eur a night) so did not want to use C&P. No problem with the taxes here! We were upgraded to a Junior suite on the top floor, which was nice but overlooked the construction (not much noise thankfully). The staff were friendly and the hotel is very well located...steps away from Centraal (we took the train to Bruges and it was very convenient). There is a Citibank right outside..and of course the Grand Place is just minutes away. Lots of restaurants nearby...we loved the Frit' N Toast - get a cone of fries slathered with Curry Ketchup. Mmmm fries.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:08 am

I had this same issue in both the Brussels Sheraton and the Mridien in December 2009 on C&P stays. In both cases I paid more than 60$ (I dont remember the exact amount, I should look it up). In any case, it did not correspond to the normal tax rate on hotel stays in Belgium.

When making the reservation on the SPG webpage it showed 60$. When I received the confirmation mail the amount had mysteriously increased to 70-something $.

I guess I should have contacted SPG, but I just did not have time in the weeks afterwards.

Would you mind keeping me informed about SPGs reaction? (Maybe by PM...) Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Koby
I had this same issue in both the Brussels Sheraton and the Mridien in December 2009 on C&P stays. In both cases I paid more than 60$ (I dont remember the exact amount, I should look it up). In any case, it did not correspond to the normal tax rate on hotel stays in Belgium.

When making the reservation on the SPG webpage it showed 60$. When I received the confirmation mail the amount had mysteriously increased to 70-something $.

I guess I should have contacted SPG, but I just did not have time in the weeks afterwards.

Would you mind keeping me informed about SPGs reaction? (Maybe by PM...) Thanks!
No prob but Id want to post about it so as to let others know.

they said it would take 3-5 biz days till I heard back so please if I dont post about it shoot me an email as a reminder to post or to contact SPG to see what up
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Koby

Ok I just the acct it was coming out of (my Moms) and it now shows as $60 including all the taxes rather then the $78+ it did before I called up about it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.